/smg/ - Stock Market General

i have a question. i thought ETFs didn't track/copy the markets, but select some stocks and invest the money they have. am i wrong? aren't they specialized institutions that invest the money you give them?

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg (embed)

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ (embed)

Free advanced charting tools:
tradingview.com
koyfin.com/

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Best free stock screener (the tradingview screener is also good)
finviz.com/

Premarket Data:
investing.com/indices/indices-futures

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

Boomer Investing 101:
bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Options Markets 101:
cdn.ymaws.com/afajof.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/files/Historical_Texts/cox-rubinstein-ocr-1985.pdf

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC (embed)

List of hedge fund holdings:
fintel.io/

Previously for:

Attached: 1548567332922.png (473x471, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

seekingalpha.com/article/4270421-office-depot-opportunity-just-knock-beat-door
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for fresh bred

Attached: duckbread.jpg (438x649, 33K)

short alphabet

Attached: 1542174470392.png (592x272, 35K)

Nom Nom Nom Nom
:O = = = =

Fucking MRK won't go down...

I just bought ABR and WUBA today, am i fucked?

>i have a question. i thought ETFs didn't track/copy the markets, but select some stocks and invest the money they have. am i wrong? aren't they specialized institutions that invest the money you give them?
top jej

THREADLY REMINDER THAT DIVIDENDS ARE YOUR FREN

fucknuggets forgot the pick

Attached: dividends are your fren.jpg (423x245, 21K)

Will that BYND bubble pop already?

Attached: 1423509657491.gif (201x145, 1.6M)

well, some do, and some dont. the description of etfs are usually pretty clear about their investment strategies

I have slowly come to the terrible revelation that none of you know what the fuck you are doing. I have a Master's in Accountancy with a minor in Finance. I work for a fortune 100 as a corporate accountant with a CMA and CPA. I used to have some faith in user. None of you know how to actually value a company. You can't read financial statements. For fuck's sake you think TA works and the entire field of decision science churns out dissertations every other day highlighting their absolute dismay at the fact that brainlets ever consider using it. You have no idea what Dunning-Kruger is. You don't know what survivorship bias is. You are fucked.

Remember, on /smg/ there are no dumb questions, with the exception of questions you could have found the answer to by reading the OP or spending 5 seconds Googling

Attached: hellohello.png (493x494, 79K)

Afternoon!

Attached: 5ca.jpg (200x176, 17K)

afternoon based sonicbro

Nope. Individual investors have irrational euphoria. Institutional investors are not putting money into anymore as it’s clearly oversold. The first hint of bad news is going to crater then.

Snag those 2021 puts while they are on sale.

copypasta? some etfs buy all companies equally from the S&P or other indexes, while some just buy tech stocks, or stocks with high div, or low P/E. the latter wont follow the overall market perfectly, like most companies could do great and tech takes a major hit, so the tech etf will fall while the market at large goes up

>on sale
The premiums on any option related to BYND is absolutely insane.
Nothing in relation to that stock is on sale

>oh boy my sell order for 2/3 of my KBLB at .32 finally triggered!

God damn it. We’re in for some good news tomorrow. I was hoping to buy back lower, as it kept dipping and bouncing back, but I never set my limit buys high enough.

holy fuck you're right.. fuck that shit

WE NEED A 5% RATE CUT NOW 3 HOURS DOWN IN THE STOCK MARKET IS UNACCEPTABLE

what do you think of ABR, divfren?

What should your profit target be for options? I heard professionals like John Carter say your exit point should be around 200% on 60-90 day contracts... but that seems a little ridiculous.

>implying it's possible to make money on the stock market

The stock market is omnipotent, any and all information is perfectly priced instantaneously, including things that are going to happen in the future that nobody knows about yet
The market is perfectly efficient, there is no such thing as human error and groups of people never make mistakes

I wanted to buy SPY today, but I realized the market had already priced in the 45.939749027380% chance that the fed is going to cut rates

faggot

At this very moment the market is pricing in the 80.191992837201092882% chance that a recession will happen in 2050

What's tomorrow?

WHY DIDNT I LISTEN

FOMC

AHHHHHH

Attached: Screenshot_20190617-142814.jpg (1080x2340, 270K)

NO CUT tomorrow.. the market is near ATH, be zealous therefore, and repent.

> ODP -- Office Depot
> $1.87
> 52 week low
seekingalpha.com/article/4270421-office-depot-opportunity-just-knock-beat-door

No idea, just speculation from today's movements, while all the recent "news" did very little to move it.

Very much regretting selling as much as I did. But I DCA'd too soon and was sick of being hostage to the sales of this management team.

No idea what's LPTX and VSTM have been reporting, but apparently it's some big news.

Women don't understand how male lust actually operates. Women think that men experience women as "the Beautiful," as something pleasant and trifling that can be enjoyed at a distance and then allowed to pass on. They think that a picture of themselves wearing clothing that shows off all their fat and all their soft skin and warm nice holes is like a postcard with a picture of a beach on it. But to men, female beauty is not the Beautiful, it's the Sublime, it's not trifling but great and terrible, and it stirs something great and terrible and daemonic in man's subterranean depths that impels him forward to fuck things from roughly below and behind the prostate area.

Attached: aaUntitled-1.png (2094x1551, 1.64M)

don't know much about it, according to SimplySafe Dividends the dividend is unsafe which means I likely wouldn't touch it. Additionally I don't trust anything with a 9% dividend without doing serious research on it.

i'm currently in a free trial for SimplySafeDividends but the program is $400 per year, so I'm definitely not subscribing to pay

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.42.38 PM.png (799x498, 56K)

what is the safest 8% yield according to them?
safest 5%+, safest 10%+?

shit, their payout ratio is really high.i think the stock was brought to me attention by an article stating the zack's rank was a "strong buy". do you guys put any stock(heh) into those ratings?

another day another dime

Attached: uixui.png (317x313, 187K)

KBLB SUUUUUURGGEEE

GOD DAMN IT WHY DID I SELL SO MUCH?!
Looks like I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to buy back in.

Yaaasss! It was getting boring. With VRUS I'm going to retire on penny stocks

no movement day and market very calm overall

Attached: 72ae0479664b8590277b710318d54b9457a5852d728dcd64bb12cd97f4d58da7.jpg (1920x1280, 375K)

Is there any stock worth buying

I am scrolling through my watchlist with like 200 stocks and all seem like inactive little turds

buy VTSAX

Why is /smg/ so much in love with medical and pharma companies?

>inactive
low volatility can be nice though
buy them all
then buy CMG puts for 2020

love drug bby
also love food companies and defense and telecom
I love REITs and yield ETNs as well
basically I have a strong lust for all stocks, usually I have to do more work to convince myself not to buy than to buy

Because we're all pre meds who couldn't get into medical school. This is our cope.

look at GH

Tetra BioPharma getting hammered by short pressure tactics. Daily RSI now 24 and falling. Conditions for a squeeze are good in the next couple days. Shorts aren't working with much volume.

It's true.

Attached: 36b56af4337.jpg (1407x1000, 333K)

GIS vs BGS

>on /smg/ there are no dumb questions
only dumb people

Is leap expecting to do something? I was waiting for NBRV to moon and was going to take my earnings to buy a comfy hold of leap come August, since i think leap isn't expected to have shit until November

We are all degenerate gamblers and they are basically the crypto of the stock world. Best part is you usually know when they are gonna moon. But they also fuck you up.

I'm balls deep in NBRV calls and if everything in August fucks me up then I'm gonna lose a lot of money.

Attached: 949a2lgcijr21.jpg (1165x1520, 307K)

VMWare is looking tasty, also Tyson foods
Hexo as well... but they really shit the bed so you may want to do the 3-day wait

You're being too broad here. There's a huge difference between companies that print money like UNH and Merck, and the "hodl and pray for a buyout" companies.

But with those speculative pics, it's because it's very exciting to get penny stocks that move 35% in one trading session.

Again, I really haven't been paying attention. I think they had a presentation at an oncology conference is all. This may just be movement enhanced by the hype over Pfizer's buyout today. Same thing happened with the cloud companies when Salesforce bought that other company. The whole sector shot up on hype... and then came back down soon after.

God... why did I sell so much of my crypto and pennystocks... I'm getting better, but it's seeming like hodl is a better strategy a lot of the time. Then again, I think we're entering overbought territory.

The BYND meat dumpening is occurring. If this shit keeps up I might actually be able to make some money.

Tyson down 4% on... what? Just people not excited about their alt meats?

Attached: Oppression.jpg (1000x1505, 197K)

GIS is better
but Bgs just needs one good acquisition so you get more bang

Attached: wa.png (420x282, 112K)

Buy 25 shares of
SPYD
EDOG
DWX
every year and build your golden divvynest

>Why is /smg/ so much in love with medical and pharma companies?
Those stocks are the closest thing to lottery tickets and /smg/ is full of degenerate gamblers

Feels safer than gambling to be honest, fren. But yes, high risk. At least there is something to assess value.

>Bgs
You mean that company that sold Pirate's Brands?
How can you trust that management?

Also, TSN input requested. FoodChads, help me out.

I know you want those DinoTendies!

Attached: JumpMan.jpg (1018x1074, 146K)

>but it's seeming like hodl is a better strategy a lot of the time

gee who would have thought that

The things other anons have said, and I also personally like them because I'm planning on going into biomedical research as a career

I'm just HODLING crypto with leverage right now with a piss small amount and loose stop losses. No reason not to really.

So you ARE a degenerate gambler! :O

>biomedical research as a career
oh no no no no no no OH NO NO NONO NO

redpill me on current tesla

Selling pirates was the only bad thing theyve done really. the rest of their acquisitions are dare I say genius.

not sure whats happening with meat stocks, they say flooding or something dumb. PPC down too

Are stock options the way to go? Anyone have any resource I should look at before investing a bunch into options?

Attached: 20190601_013755.jpg (4032x3024, 3.4M)

if I buy an option one day and sell it the next will it not count towards the daytrading rule got two strikes and dont want to risk a lock out

Correct

TSLA is a complete scam and will be bankrupt within a year

VERY cool digits, so I'll reward you with the attention (you) crave.

(I actually questioned posting that because your GaltCoin is in recovery and I knew you'd be feeling extra bold. But honesty takes precedence, even if it means feeding your ego)

>A lot of the time
Yeah, question is figuring out what time is time for buy, sell, or hold. "All in and HODL" isn't really a strategy, it's what you do with lottery tickets until they expire...

Thanks fren... I'll hold off then on buying more than one share of TSN.

>Are stock options the way to go?
Yeah

>Anyone have any resource I should look at before investing a bunch into options?
If you feel ready just go for it bro

Attached: 1559753798414.png (1091x1024, 1.15M)

listen to me carefully, if you trade options you will lose 100% of your money

BUY
U
Y

REFR

REFR

REFR

REFR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY

HAVEN'T

YOU

BOUGHT

REFR????????????

Attached: tumblr_osfqbiginO1w07qyso1_400.png (400x356, 57K)

Actually... If I had bought and held I'd still be FUCKED. DCA is the way to go, but if you're just trying to recover from a mistake... then not really advisable.

Mean!

Attached: 1559080961591.png (567x607, 722K)

Doctors have a much higher suicide rate than the general population, and a job satisfaction rate of like 1-2% I don't think some extra money is worth the stress and debt of med school and spending my whole life working a job I don't actually enjoy
Biomedical scientists make enough money to comfortably upper middle class, and I'd rather be upper middle class working a job I actually enjoy than spend every day doing something I hate for money I won't even spend
The majority of med students only do it because other people want them to or because they want money

what does it say for

AHOTF

Should I buy 100 shares

Attached: 1560033290959.jpg (640x633, 101K)

have fun spending 5 years doing a phd and then fighting tooth and nail for a 50k job

whats the best stock screener to use?

Finviz

options aren't investing. they're speculation and hedges.

/smg/
or the tradingview screener (literally it says it in the OP)
have you tried searching google for 'stock screener' and seeing which one you like?

>Mean
I'm not mean

Attached: 1559473597031.jpg (1875x1500, 522K)

6 month options strategy

Call on the money: AWK, CSX, RCL, VZ, TSN, BABA, PLNT, LUV, LMT, MSFT, LEN, NOAH

Put on the money: JNJ, ATVI, CVNA, GME

Buying calls and outs expiring jan 2020 for these stocks right now

How badly have I fucked myself on a scale of 1-10? This is all the money I have to my name btw

okay, why?

If you go into this without doing lots of research you will absolutely get fucked. Read Options as a Strategic Investment and watch the TastyTrade videos on YouTube about options. For the love of fuck, don't trade options unless you enjoy losing your money.

$SRPT look at the daily, shits about to break the fuck out, maybe

Puts*

just buy out of the money 2020 CMG puts
then buy shares of MSFT and QYLD
why are you over complicating things

>posting dogs
>giving dangerous advice
...big5guy?

What's up with the golden bull this week? Getting tired or uninterrupted stampede?

You waiting to see what Powell does, or making moves?

Attached: http___com.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.jpg (700x394, 33K)

i tried two or three from google and they had very glaring limitations. trading view is pretty good, but i cant find payout ratio there, right now im trying to find the highest "div yield to payout ratio" ratio

I just think I need to cast a wider net and I'm basing all my choices on how I feel about the charts and how I feel about the companies themselves, I am not an educated man simply a douchebag with internet so I have a feeling I have made a grave mistake, my world view revolves around Jews undermining society as a whole

Will do

i'm not spoon feeding you but there are easy resources out there, probably the best publicly available bear case in the history of the stock market

start with TlsaQ twitter if you want to go down that rabbit hole. Q is the symbol a stock gets when it goes into bankruptcy

Also did Chipolte give you the shits or something

I fucking hate Interactive Brokers. I swear to God there is some insidious kike shit going on there. I switched to them for lower commissions and fees from SureTrader and ever since I did my entire expectancy has nose-dived. If they aren't doing some shady shit with your order flow I don't know who is. I've never seen such consistently weird shit happening ever. I'm almost tempted to open another account and just use IB to paint the inside market while I trade against my IB positions on the other account. It's that fucking consistent.

Also I kinda did just drop all my money on this so if you could guys could tell me what I did wrong or if you like my plan it would help me sleep thanks