Student loans Help

Hey y'all I was wondering if I could get some help looking for applying to student college loans. I'm an Mechanical engineering student currently in college. Parent's are no help and my dad says it's not worth my time filling out FAFSA

What do you recommend looking for applying to on student loans, or where to go to?

I feel like I'm in the dark on this one.

What should I stay away from?

I know Sallie Mae is a no no.

Attached: download.jpg (1280x842, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2014/may/is-college-worth-it-education-tuition-wages/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Apply for the FAFSA every year. Free money. Google it and then go follow the instructions.

This. If he won't, just wait until you turn 23 to go to college or something. Loans are a meme

FAFSA paid for most of my college education do tell your dad he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

You need to fill out a FASFA to get student loans in the first place. Sorry user, it's the rules. Of course a brainlet engie would need help with the most basic of tasks.

>my dad says it's not worth my time filling out FAFSA
What exactly is he basing that on?

Your usage of "y'all" implies he's either a black or a southerner and neither one of those would know shit about FAFSA.

Not just loans but grants that you don’t have to pay back.

This, there's no cost and no risk to fill it out. Get those gov bucks

You can get 5k+ per year from Stafford loans by doing the FAFSA. You can qualify even if you're middle class, but they are unsubsidized loans. Just fill it out and see what you can get. That's really the only option besides private loans which will most likely all have insane rates

This.

I'm a junior and I took out both subsidized and unsubsidized student loans to buy bitcoin last fall and spring (because it gets dispersed by semester instead of all at once). I effectively tripped what I took out in student loans.

ALWAYS FILL OUT FAFSA.
EVERY JANUARY.
DON'T BE LATE OR YOU MISS GRANTS (FREE MONEY).

EVERY FUCKING JANUARY

You're much better off dealing with a government loan than a private jew loan.

Attached: leto_atreides_ii__god_emperor_of_dune.jpg (550x1001, 341K)

If you qualify for grants which 90% of applicants do not

Do your parents claim you as dependents on their taxes? If not then you could be eligible for some easily-gotten grants. There’s lots of smaller scholarships that normally don’t even have people apply for, try to score some of those.
Look at the interest rates. You want fixed rate loans. Interest rates will likely increase net over the next 10 years and you will potentially end up paying a lot more if you take out private student loans.
Hopefully you’re looking instate and a public university. Obviously way cheaper. Go to a satellite campus where you can structure out your general education courses there for 2 years (if possible) that will transfer to your major university to save money. That’s what I did, and got me through the first two years tuition was only 5K all year. If you were wondering, I am 24 and graduated last year with my undergrad in STEM

College is a fucking scam, you moron.

>I mean if the Federal Reserve of San Francisco says it's a good idea to fuck around at school... it MUST be good for you. We all know the Federal Reserve is looking out for our best interests:

frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2014/may/is-college-worth-it-education-tuition-wages/

College 40 years ago was 500-600 dollars a year. Instead of wasting your money just buy 10 million brapper instead.

my parents are getting divorced and my dad makes too much money. He elaborated that it takes 2 years in order for the new changes in to allow FAFSA aid to kick in

He's correct. They're still basing my FASFA on my 2017 income for 2019-2020. You still need to fill out the FASFA though if you want student loans.

Just fill it out anyway, it's fucking free. If he won't help then use your mom's tax info. My parents make over 150k and I still qualified for loans, everybody can qualify for a loan. And if your dad makes so much money why doesn't he give you a loan himself instead of bitching about the fafsa

Is it still worth it to fill out my FAFSA even though my final aid will be really low?

what would you suggest as a Plan B?

But everything in that link says college is worth it

Plan B is not going to school.

You HAVE TO fill it out you retard. Your dad is a jackass if he's not helping you at all with this shit

Literally everything is handled under fafsa except for private loans. sign up for fafsa.

Update: Once I fill-out FAFSA will I get federal loans by the beginning of August? School starts the 20th of August. Plus my parent haven't
officially been to divorce court yet. Plus, my mom make less income so if I biased my FAFSA off my moms income I would gain quite a bit of financial aid. But like said this will take approx two year for FAFSA aid to be helpful, so I will need a plan B.

>it's not worth my time filling out FAFSA
Your dad is a retard and a piece of shit. I had basically my entire undergrad covered through FAFSA. It might be too late to apply now though.

I think the deadline for this school year was the beginning of this year.

Plan b is paying for it out of pocket, either you or your parents or a combination of the two. Plan C is to go to a cheaper school where loans aren't necessary. Plan D is taking a year or two off to save money.

Right, did you read it's from the FEDERAL FUCKING RESERVE?

I swear you reddit crossposters don't read, just skim over posts while simultaneously updating nigger-worship on their Twitter account.

So what? Show me a study that empirically proves college isn't worth it

Are you sure about that deadline? Im going to college in Iowa? I saw june 30 of 2020 for the deadline

Your father is a retard. Fill out the FAFSA.

Student debt sucks though. I have a BS in accounting and an MS in tax and am about $38k in debt. I pay about $700 a month and hope to have it paid off in a couple of years. I'm a CPA now.

Don't go to school. It's a trap. Buy SNTVT. Hold for a year. Retire wealthy, and early.