/smg/ - Smelly Monks General

July 9th:
1776 – George Washington orders the Declaration of Independence to be read out to members of the Continental Army in Manhattan, while thousands of British troops on Staten Island prepare for the Battle of Long Island.
1850 – U.S. President Zachary Taylor dies after eating raw fruit and iced milk; he is succeeded in office by Vice President Millard Fillmore.
1868 – The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, guaranteeing African Americans full citizenship and all persons in the United States due process of law.
1896 – William Jennings Bryan delivers his Cross of Gold speech advocating bimetallism at the 1896 Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
1900 – The Federation of Australia is given royal assent.
1943 – World War II: The Allied invasion of Sicily soon causes the downfall of Mussolini and forces Hitler to break off the Battle of Kursk.
1958 – A 7.8 Mw strike-slip earthquake in Alaska causes a landslide that produces a megatsunami. The runup from the waves reached 525 m (1,722 ft) on the rim of Lituya Bay; five people were killed.
1962 – Starfish Prime tests the effects of a nuclear test at orbital altitudes.

Popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

Some basic stock market terminology:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Free advanced charting tools:
tradingview.com
koyfin.com/
finscreener.com/

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php
ThinkorSwim

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Stock screener
finviz.com/
tradingview.com/screener/

Premarket Data:
investing.com/indices/indices-futures

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

Boomer Investing 101:
bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

List of hedge fund holdings:
fintel.io/

IRC channel:
#/smg/ on irc.rizon.net

last:

Attached: smg.jpg (1038x576, 51K)

this was last chemo treat men
hopefully me will be 100% healthy for rest of life

Attached: sweatysnaek.gif (364x489, 526K)

Are you prepared for the boogaloo, /smg/?

Attached: judgementDay.jpg (1003x538, 181K)

Also Powell better straighten up and fall in to line like a good puppy tomorrow.

Attached: scared.jpg (800x533, 34K)

V T S A X

buy it

When does Powell's testimony start tomorrow?

Here with the Webull update for the portfolio i took a bunch of stocks on.

This board is better than 2500 or so other users in this competition. Hope you all feel better.

Attached: Screenshot_20190709-155106.png (720x1280, 104K)

It's some time in the morning. I don't know exact time. Probably 9 or 10 EST.

AMDchads ryzen the fuck up

Attached: Screenshot_20190709-155227.png (720x1280, 72K)

heh, paper account

i remember being 6 years old too

Hope everyone stayed in the green today

Friendly reminder that Vietnam is a rapidly expanding and growing market and that we're still witnessing the beginning stages

Attached: 1562099395087.png (933x774, 741K)

dont remove those bull horns yet,
Hes playing for the GOLDEN BULLS

Attached: ohyes.png (395x348, 285K)

Too late to buy?

It's just for fun. I'm all in on AMD obviously

Probably. But AMD always bleeds out so I'd wait for a dip. It is almost always obvious

We're very close to the 13-year high at 34.30$. Seems risky, but maybe it can break the previous high, now that Ryzen 3000 is out is selling like hotcakes.

How do I invest in Vietnam? The market seems to be restricted to only citizens

Buy and ETF.

How do I buy and ETF at the same time

Attached: 1562555751316.jpg (644x422, 69K)

B-b-uy what?

But that was like most of your identity

Buy S&P futures. I need this shit to gap up like 8 bucks.

You don’t make a typo.

>gap up

I doubt that. I expect flat open and nothing until Powell starts talking, at which point the geiger counters, seismographs and polygraphs will begin to ominously twitch.

Attached: 1560643767988.jpg (800x600, 121K)

Highly rec this book - fascinating stuff

Attached: 1562711998.png (355x462, 260K)

WHERE IS TRST GOING

I expect Jerome to announce he will cut rates, and then while he's giving testimony we get Steve Merchant breaking news busting in, TRADE DEAL SECURED!

OH MAN I was so close to being almost close to breakeven. I was only down like 2.4% All time this morning, then someone faded the crypto rally. Also faded: LPTX, MO, KSS, CHWY, CGC

Didn't this guy kill his wife or something?

I feel like I should read One Up on Wall Street or something first.

"Dark Pools" doesn't look like the type of thing to give me actionable information, just "You can't succeed" type FUD.

Does it tell you how to DIY or did you get any ideas from it?

Why do you all assume that Powell will say something that matters? He's testifying before Congress, won't he just say he has to wait to get the data and confer with the other fed heads and associates, etc.?
You keep saying Merchant... do you mean Mnuchin?

Buy OTC company KBLB, which is opening up multiple factories in Nam and recently had a reasonable pullback. Wait for it to get pull back again though if it pumps.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 3.47.16 PM.png (1388x712, 80K)

Made $350 off this today

Attached: Screenshot_20190709-185147.jpg (1080x2340, 304K)

>You keep saying Merchant... do you mean Mnuchin?
yes

my dad works for the fed he said Powell bought 400 million of weekly puts for his own account don't know what that means?

What OTC stocks you guys buying off of the pink sheets?

Attached: alwaysremembercunt.jpg (1200x1716, 162K)

how do you guys decide 1. how many stocks to buy/short and 2. when to sell/the stop limit on your order

normal stock is 5-7%, options are no more than 1% of my account

stop are normally somewhat arbitrary but i'd say i use on average like a 15% stop

Well, so yesterday, I went against logic, my gut, and Linus Tech Tips recommending the new AMD processors (they also sold out immediately) and I bought long put spreads. Basically once I hit 8% loss I knew it was time to cut and run and I managed to close before I lost about 15% on the option. If I had held on like a true brainlet, I would be down 50% as of right now. Will it recover? What if AMD crashes back down to earth? Time will tell, but I had to make the call to exit and I did. The chance also exists those options would have expired worthless.

Attached: fist.jpg (1400x1400, 179K)

5-7% of your current account for risk management reasons right? and a 15% both up and down of the original stock price?

Only otc i have right now is IVITF, betting on the new CEO. First time they've had a major stakeholder at the helm.

Point is you have to make the call, and if you can minimize losses you can have a lot of them but then eventually land a nice W and you'll be back in good shape.

were you holding or did you screen a low float

>Why do you all assume that Powell will say something that matters? He's testifying before Congress, won't he just say he has to wait to get the data and confer with the other fed heads and associates, etc.?

A lot depends on his wording. The market will be listening for subtle clues about the direction he is leaning.

on a scale of 1-10 how much can powell's word effect the market

TMUS addes to the S&P 500. Thank you TMUS for turning this week green.

Attached: 1559203348513.jpg (1024x1024, 147K)

Did you seriously not sell with the news yesterday?

This is the first stock in recent memory that could legitimately go to zero. I’d get out now.

lmao bruh you’re fucked

they’re going to lose their license from HC and if they don’t completely go under, they won’t see the other side of 6 CAD for years

Oi m8 you got a loisence for that pink?

KBLB, it keeps mooning, but not enough for me to sell, and then dipping, but not enough for me to buy. I'm getting impatient, almost bought more today. Buffett would tell me impatience is no good.

Can or will? He's not going to want to move it in any significant way. But if he just came out and said "Holy shit the economy is fucked. We just got the data and its REAL bad. We're gonna have to go to negative rates and talk to Kuroda about using better QE..." Well then people would probably panic sell, algos would panic sell, same with hedgies and institutional investors, and everyone's 401K's and pension plans would be fucked.

Lenders would start calling in their corporate debt, and many companies would be insolvent and dissolve. Massive layoffs would result, and we'd enter into a massive depression. I would expect riots in city centers, and Trump would fly off to a golf course and summon the national guard.

None of that is going to happen though. Powell may not be as good as Yellen, but he's not a total idiot.

Who asx here?
Anyone still invested in coal?
Why is Whitehaven coal, something that HSBC owns 40% of, still considered a strong buy?

Powell's word is the markets

I'm new to investments, but can someone give me their opinion on KMI? 7/19 22 calls in particular, seem cheap, stock looks to be breaking out of a bullish flag, earnings just before etc, thoughts?

>KBLB

Why does /smg/ like to speculate on penny shitstonks?

Thanks. Will probably take a look, although these growing eastern countries don't offer the best translation of value through capital markets, especially through the entire index. Not sure why that is the case

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-10 04-51-13.png (1820x1016, 106K)

I'm not in a trade with them yet I'm just wondering if I should buy options now or place a random bid at like $2 and see if it gets filled. Seems too interesting to resist but maybe I just love the ride.

Because their product is fucking cool?

>Not including 1816, when Argentina told Spain to go fuck itself, after only telling it to kinda go fuck itself in 1810

What high dividend stocks are you guys getting into? Also any emerging industry stocks like space?

Test

You passed!

T and PM are pretty good

I checked the income statement for the last 5 years and it has losses. Throw your money into the dump instead. It'll be less painful and cheaper

I'd stay away until it becomes clearer what Health Canada will do.

If they let them off easy it's a bounce, if they make an example out of them it's the end times.

...because they have losses?

Kinder Morgan's numbers are going to be way off in a bad way. Chemical manufacturing is down, so their terminals are going to be making less money, and LNG numbers have been down. You'd be better off putting them on the puts.

Do you think PM is going to be able to main its value and divided as Tobacco sales fall and there are less tobacco smokers? I remember on some other board someone talked about OXLC and ECC, but don't know much about them.

got 2 high yields
BGS and BTI. BTI is suave but BGS is hellish, like hell
but when the divs come in the fears melt away

Attached: x762.png (324x498, 143K)

Thanks, I already have 85 contracts I got right before close at .04, I'll be sure to sell before earnings but I see a short term run up to earnings especially after today

Is 870 times revenue good value? Not to mention losses are 3x the revenue. Why do you buy junk?

HCC looks nice

agree/disagree?

Sucky day but that's ok. Still up over 15% so I still got plenty of sweet gains.

July/August is a special time of year for me. Comcast/T/KDP/DIS all pay out you see.

AMRN is down a bit but that's ok, the real money is still on the way. T stock is down a bit but fuck that's ok to. All the more sweet divvy I'll get when it comes due. 194 shares now do I got, at the current price I'll add 2.94 more shares to my pile at payout time. Just one more payout looms this year after that, fuck man I ain't worried one bit I'll still clear 200 shares by years end.

NBY has fallen a bit, the fearful man would pull out while he still can. But there's sneaky shit going on behind the scenes. The China Pharma is loading up on NBY shares while they're cheap. A nice buyout is a coming; it's only a mater of time. This shit will be forking out least $8 per from what I've heard. Hell big time fat cats are piling in, Vanguard and Blackrock is just the tip. They know a big fat payday is cooking up soon. Surely you want a cut of that Profit to.

Companies like that don't just roll over and die without a fight. I figure they'll find some sort of new revenue stream down the line.

yeah, don't go all in on any single name

that 15% is mostly for down, I try to let the winners run

It’s an experimental technology. It’s extremely speculative, but I don’t think they should be aiming for profitability yet.

The new patents and factories are a good start, but it’s still early days.

>Not Altria
Literally why?
Why go with any other tobacco company? Is it because you personally like those cigarettes?

Do any of them have vaping or cannabis exposure? Are you chasing an insane yield like Vector Group or something?

Altria seems like the best in the space to me. Go MO.

ouch!

Attached: 1552694242728.png (582x424, 75K)

AMDCHADS RYZEN UP the whole damn portfolio once again. Damn it feels good.

Attached: 1557777817243.jpg (892x910, 64K)

Fair enough. Best of luck

What does this girl’s vagina smell like?

Attached: A03EB452-77B6-4288-B9C2-AC723F41A31D.jpg (641x576, 92K)

I feel the dividend giving stocks are too leveraged up and instead should reduce debt instead of giving big dividends. On an EV basis they are not at all cheap

You know that smell when you open a new book? Like that but plasticky.

>sold AMD on monday

WHY AM I SO IMPATIENT

Because real AMDCHADS hold with iron fists.

Attached: 1562709826626.jpg (368x367, 23K)

Uhhh... have you even SEEN Altria?

God I think I should buy more...

BBC

okay guys but seriously have you seen HCC

some coal CEO just died so theres room for psycho corporatism that coal companies do best and also Trump loves coal

A freshly printed Excel spreadsheet

why that coal ticker in particular?

Debt to equity is 2.1. They should really cut debt instead of giving dividends. Companies are holding onto debt because it is very cheap(due to interest rate scenario), but I like to avoid companies with large debt

Sorry, didn't realize MO actually has a higher div yield. In that case I would go with them.

because nice name and like its the only coal company that isnt shitting the bed

And actually now that I dig deeper PM has a slightly higher annualized payout

I mean you're up 5 and change, which apparently represents a 260% increase so I'd say that you're about $342 short of $350 total.

Im holding amd until late sunday. Hype will wear off and people will be done buying crap online for the weekend. I think after that they will stagnate or dip.

Attached: anime-girl-thinking-emoji-brown-hair.jpg (2560x1440, 249K)

Attached: 1562628064.png (245x360, 125K)

Did not know that.

But they’re using that money well. ROE is 41%

I like to check ROI instead, which is very healthy. It's just because of the interest rate scenario. Makes companies trickier to value as PE only takes into account MC. I think EV/EBITDA may be a better metric

I don't know much about that... but after some quick googling, seems like their EV/EBITDA is decent, better than PM worse than BATS

Financials are not the only way to value a company. Altria is doing great stuff with Juul. I wish they would buy them out entirely and list them separately

My only concern with that is that vaping has now come under attack from anti-tobacco lobbies. Look at what happened in San Francisco were they banned both tobacco and juul and ecigs. I believe that my generation's smoking habits are going to be heavily focused on smoking pot while tobacco smokers die off.

Rock on, brother!

smoking pot and tobacco go hand in hand, if you've ever been to Amsterdam they often sell and smoke mixtures of the two.

However I understand that fear, but I'm also excited for the THC vaping possibilities, which Juul could give MO a good way to enter into.

>Look at what happened in San Francisco
Has any of this gone into effect yet? Also, they banned tobacco? I thought it was just e-cigs. However, Orange County did recently vote for some sort of ban on tobacco.

I'm not really concerned about the legal fights for some reason.

That'll never happen. It's akin to trying to regulate the big tech. At the end of the day too many addicts

Can: 10/10

Will: 4/10

The 200 day moving average on the S&P is flat mainly because of the decisions he made last year and this.

>smoking pot and tobacco go hand in hand

Can confirm as ex-smoker now degenerate vaper and occasional dude weed imbiber. Nicotine mixes with weed nicely.

Smoking and drinking as well.

Bitches love those camel crushes. Buy a pack on Friday, lose it, buy another the next weekend.