Is it possible to make money writing? Or is this a pipe dream?

Is it possible to make money writing? Or is this a pipe dream?

Attached: 1562517712711s.jpg (201x250, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stillcrew.com/a-reasonable-conversation-with-shea-serrano-interview-9977e5ada1a4
studyhall.xyz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

take a look at brappers' white paper. What do you think?

I made a penny a day filling out captcha at one point.

haha no

Impossible. Nobody has ever sold a book.

only if you can evoke emotion in the reader

Only if you don't intend to make money from writing will you make money from writing.

yeah, but you REALLY dont want to live on it.

I just made $200 for a 1000-word book review, and im going to start doing more of that stuff. That might sound livable, but between pitching the editor, writing the thing, and waiting for it to come out, took about a month and a half to go from idea to check in hand. To pay the rent doing it is crazy hard.

Ideally you'll build up enough little clips to get a piece in a glossy, get contacted by an agent, and then get a book deal (friend of mine did this exact path, she's writing the thing now) but its wild competitive and takes a lot of time.

also, this. its ivy league kids with trust funds who fall backwards into the half dozen good jobs left

How about a blog? Also, any other general advice?

lemme get back to my computer

Okay thanks. Even if you end up making a new thread because this 404's I'll find it.

Copyrighting supposedly is a high income skill

I might have to look into it then.

As in published books? It's hard. I know a few people who try, but then again their writing is generic trash. It's also a very jewish industry so unironically have a pen name like Horowitz.

I'd first see if you can get good feedback on short stories, maybe a publication of that scale before a full novel.

Nothing wrong with writing a full novel out of the gate as a hobby and see where it goes but as a job you'd have to be more sensible.

Writing published books eventually but just random articles online and for a while and a blog for sure as my first major project. It won't be my full income. I have a job that I can stay at for as long as needed, I just need to get out of wage-slavery eventually and this is part of how I want to do it. It is also a major interest of mine. I probably won't worry about making money on a novel until I am already well established because I don't want to compromise what I want to make on such a large scale project.

I feel like blogs are a totally different game, almost a separate skill. From what I understand blogs that make money are these highly branded, niche-market affairs that manage to cultivate a cult following. Do you want to be the next Fashion Bitch? Wellness Mama? Dicksucking Guru? Almost has less to do with writing at that point and is more about creating a character and doing a bit.

Learning to pitch is almost as important as the quality of your writing. It's also a separate skill. There's a ton of articles floating around about it. Start there and once you're comfortable, just get to it -- pitch, pitch, pitch. That's all there is to it. Here's one good come-up story: stillcrew.com/a-reasonable-conversation-with-shea-serrano-interview-9977e5ada1a4

Study hall is 10000000% worth the money: studyhall.xyz/

This is terrible advice. Literary publishing is the most competitive market on earth. I know award-winning writers with multiple novels out who still have to wait 6 months to get dunked on by a podunk-nothing lit rag with 0 readership. A 50-1 rejection to acceptance ratio is the norm if you're absurdly talented, and you'll simply never get published at all if you're not. Just don't write fiction unless it's genre.

Thanks for the advice.
And yeah I'd rather self-publish anyway to be desu. Like I said, if I write a novel I want it to be exactly what I want to write. I won't depend on it for money.

I make my living writing.
>tfw 6-figure income

Nice bro. Advice?

>$200
>$1000 words
>having to pitch editors
>taking that long for any writing
no wonder you hate it

if you're going to google it, look up copyWRITING, not copyrighting lol

Sorry to higjack but how is the affiliate market? Is that shit dried out or can I still get some with writing?

this idea of monetizing what you love is bs
you've heard the quote, right user?
"do what you love as a job and you'll never work a day in your life"
the actual quote is
"do what you love as a job and you'll kinda sorta work every second of the day"

do writing that provides people value that you can charge for. then when you want, write the book inside your soul

lmao oh

sure what do you wanna know?

I think that sounds about right. How about a blog though?

Of course.

the blog business is played out.
nobody cares about bloggers who aren't already famous.
the potential to become a famous blogger is foolish.

BUT

if you want to and you've got hours and hours to spend per day on this, then remember what is in the secret sauce:

you need content. you need recurring, growing traffic. you need ads. you need to slowly (or quickly) become in the eyes of your viewers an authority on whatever underwater-basket-weaving related topic you choose to have as your specialty. they have to trust you and visit you often.

Someone wrote the white papers for all the useless garbage everyone here is buying so yes. Also movies and books exist and people get paid for those as well. If you become very popular and well known people will throw money at you. If you’re some kind of Jow Forums nazi, well, there’s always McDonald’s. Until they find out you’re a nazi.

bottom line is this:

if you wanna get out of your slave mentality, and you want to write, then find where you can provide value, and provide value.
also last user was right, copywriting is a good place to make some money. the biggest problem freelance copywriters have though is getting contracts. as a freelance copywriter you want clients who are REPEAT (so you don't have to spend 90% of your time looking for new clients, like 90% of other copywriters out there) and who PAY YOU WELL.
the latter part will really fuck with your slave mentality.
imagine asking for $150 per hour from a client.
imagine saying you work on a value-added basis and that your contract has to be 10K or above to be worth your time.
imagine writing words worth hundreds of dollars each.

Thank you so much.
I think I can be an authority on my specialty because I am just autisic enough to obsess over something nonstop but not autistic enough to get neetbucks.

getting rich by movies or books, might as well buy a lottery ticket. but if you stick with it you might be able to eak out a living.

something tells me you're also just dedicated enough to post about your desire to become paid for writing but not dedicated enough to do shit all about it.

prove me wrong user

Not OP but how do you break into that with people in poo-in-loo also contest and for much cheaper?

>the latter part will really fuck with your slave mentality.
>imagine asking for $150 per hour from a client.
>imagine saying you work on a value-added basis and that your contract has to be 10K or above to be worth your time.
>imagine writing words worth hundreds of dollars each.
Jesus, no kidding. If nothing else it will annoy some corporate asshats.

I'll be sure to make a thread when I make it. ;)

np.
simple: segment, and choose your segment carefully.
it can be tempting to try and get in there and elbow your way to win a contract by being the cheapest.

but that fucking sucks. people looking for cheap work usually don't treat you well. they usually complain. and they usually act like they're doing you a favour. whereas people paying you 150 dollars per hour ask for your opinion, cede to you on matters that are in your wheelhouse, recommend you to their friends, and send you gifts when you have your first-born baby.

don't market yourself to be cheap: market yourself to be good.

come up with a way to filter through clients who are cheap-minded and find the ones who want to give you money.
in fact, if you can find a way to filter through clients who match your personality, all the better.

in the early days i made a portfolio that no stuffed shirt would like, but that a tiny percent of people who were "my" kind of people would love. i charged more and their satisfaction rose exponentially.

(and my satisfaction with work and life rose, too)

How did you find them? Freelancer or Craigslist? Also is 150 an hour really a good place to start or is that because you have alot of experience?

Bro, you are doing me quite a kindness. I'm going to get to work right now. I'll have this in the background in case of anymore responses.

the way i got to where i am is filled with twists and turns but if you're just starting out, here's your hack for the day: you have a problem because you're new, and because noone is hiring you.
what you want to do is learn, and potentially be paid to learn.
step 1: join a freelance site like upwork or some bullshit, make a cool profile
step 2: decide what sort of writing you want to do.
step 3: read into that type of writing for a few days, make notes
step 4: look for jobs being advertised in that
step 5: once you've found a job that doesn't look like its main objective is to get the cheapest person to do a barely passable job (e.g. if they want quality).
step 6: create an example. ex. if you're trying to get a job for writing articles about new york tourism, then look-up then write up half an article about new zealand tourism or some bullshit. send it to the person as one of your examples.

start your proposal by letting them know you couldn't help but reply to their proposal because you just finished doing a job pretty similar to theirs, atttach the job example.

THEN HERE IS WHERE PEOPLE FUCK UP: THEY START TO SELL THEMSELVES. DON'T.
Nobody who is worth their salt tries to convince anyone of anyone.

Think of what your ACTUAL AIM IS HERE.
It is not to get hired.
It is to get him to read your proposal, to think you might be the right kind of person, then to reply to you. IF he hires you right off the bat even better.

But in your proposal itself, provide value. ask questions that show you know what you're talking about. ask him where this article is going up, how he anticipates using it to drive revenue.
tell him the biggest mistake you see other tourism writers do (pull some mistakes from a google list)

by the end of your proposal you will look like a master who he will feel intrigued to respond to, and all those other cheap-ass shotgun-proposal candidates will make you look all the better

don't fuck with craigslist.
if you don't want to fuck with 150 then try lower but remember: your hourly or your charge-out, if low, does not look attractive or like a "deal" to the types of people you want to attract: it is a signal to others for how to treat you, how much to respect your time.

and hey man it all works out because if you don't do the work then you get fired and never get hired. i'm just telling you how to get your foot in the door.

if you charge out 100 bucks an hour say, and you need to do 2 hours of research because you're a fresh-faced fuck to every one hour of effective writing, and you have to edit for an hour and put it through a checklist you find online before giving the client it back, well, then it evens out to you getting paid to learn how to write. but if you charge every hour you're researching, you're going to hit a margin where they'll say "am i getting my money's worth?" so you just charge for when you're writing when you start out

>takes a look at study hall
>finds this on their patron
What the fuck. How is this not seen as racist, and allowed on the platform.

Attached: wat.png (272x554, 25K)

Yeah I'm a retard look up the right thing. Udemy has a course that I think is less than $20 if you sign up during the promo period. I never did anything with it but I was a good introduction to what it is and the type of writing you can expect to do.