Am I retarded for wanting to start a restaurant?

Wouldn't be a sole ~2000+ sf building, not that dumb, but a unit in a strip mall

I fell into a large piece of commercial land in an up and coming small town suburb (10 mins from larger towns, 20-25 from major city) at an amazing price...but what do?

New home prices exploded up nearly 40% last 2 years, neighborhoods all nearly full with new homes with town selling more land to expand, tons of manufacturing plants with at least two more sites being built, but there's practically zero competition for restaurants. A shitty Subway, another meh "name" (not McD) and "name" pizza, besides another local pizza joint and 2-3 bars that serve food, that is it.

I need to build but besides attempting to contact any and all local owners of national brands hoping they want to expand (Best approach for doing this?) and sign long-term leases build to suit...do I go ahead and build the 1st building myself and open up my own businesses?

Was thinking an Asian, Mexican, etc bc there's zero competition

Attached: 1547571064669.jpg (1000x7500, 1008K)

Any pro-tips for developing? Finding national brands who'd lease build to suite or NNN?

There's practically zero options other than my land to build at the moment (all others nearby are 1 acre, I have corner lot with over 5 acres).

My thoughts are only based one zero competition and thus better to simply open these restaurants myself to make even more profit than leasing to another.

But of course, the plan is to one day fully develop the land and lease the rest. Thinking if I can put up this first building it'll be more attractive to other businesses.

Enough space for one or maybe two drive-thrus (McD, etc) along with 3 or 4 strip malls

>restaurant
all I know is:
lowest margine / profit
fucked up competition
>50% won't survive the first year

I hear ya, only reason I'm considering, again, is there's practically zero competition here.
Also, low startup costs (buy used equipment) for a "fast casual" place and no franchise fees (for le random Asian name at least).
Plenty of other options such as hair salon, ups store, mobile phone store, butcher deli, etc.

Just trying to think up easy shit I can myself first to to start developing that'll attract national chains and others to come in wanting to build to suit because I don't really want to "buy a job" which is franchising

Dude. Seriously. Nobody on Jow Forums can walk you through something like this. Contact the chamber of commerce in that area to get started.

make it a hole in the wall mexican place

the world needs more of those

Once pot is federally legal or legal in my state, I've always dreamed about opening a smoke lounge in a busy college city, built kinda like korean kareoke spots with private booths but stocked with consoles/netflix/hulu/etc and serve locally sourced hipster food. I'd also have a communal lounge area for people who just wanna chill in the open

I'm studying construction management in europe and we learned that location is everything. There are always people with money who want to invest and people with ideas on how to develop it but actually getting your hands on a good piece of land is the difficult thing. So as long as you actually own it you should have no trouble either selling it to a company who then develops the land or making a deal with the dev.company who then pays you a certain % of the profits after developing the land.

You can also develop it yourself and get the most profit that way but i don't know if it's worth the time and headache since i'm not an expert and don't know what it's like in the us.

how will you clean off all the cum?

It's pot, not meth

Ask the chamber of commerce what, tho?
Yeah but figured I'd ask, my apologies for not making another crypto thread

Opening a panda express, Chipotle, or Chick-fil-A is literally guaranteed money based on your parameters.

If you want to stay away from franchising, how about a salad bar place? Easier to manage.

The regulations and finding employees is where the nightmare is.

Chamber of commerce is your number one resource, that's why anons said that.

>Private Booths
>College Kids
>Netflix and weed

There will be plenty of cum

Yeah, as they say, location location location. I kinda lucked into it so I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed and ideally without bringing others in as investors because 'build to suit' is optimal.

Ideally hoping to land a McDonalds and other national brands and have enough to swing the down payment to build it, least the first couple buildings. Just need the lease commitments

If the area is growing really fast, look into a nail salon. Primarily cash business, so easy to cook the books (pay less tax) if shit starts pulling back. Tons of women will likely still get that luxury even if recession. Only problem is trucking in some Chinese ladies and telling them to pretend they are Korean.

this
most restaurants fail. wanting to start a restaurant is just a pipe dream that equipment suppliers get rich off of.

>Ideally hoping to land a McDonalds
You know, most of them are franchises, right ? You don't land them, you pay THEM a million or two, per restaurant, can land as many as you like then:
businessinsider.com / what-it-costs-to-open-a-mcdonalds-2014-11
While McDs is afaik 'mixed' - they operate some of their own sites - they wouldn't be snatching at your hand to take yours, lets say. What you have is the property, you figure it would be good for a 'name' restaurant - go to nearest franchise fair, and wiggle your ass. Most of the McDs level franchisees own multiple restaurants, its just an investment to them. Usually, a fairly lucrative one.

Attached: mcds.png (677x112, 12K)

I have exactly the same plan user.

Chick-fli-A is sadly out of the question since it's too small of a town.
And yeah, my thoughts are doing my own panda express and/or chipotle joint to bypass franchising bullshit because the thing is, they can't come in to compete. There's basically no other space to do so and even if they did, oh well, I'd could just close up and start a different biz because I own the land and building. Hell, if they'd want to lease/build to suit on the land I'd accept
At first I didn't consider starting my own biz, instead focusing on trying to get others who owned or wanted to start such chains to lease but there's really no reason not to because it's win win, potentially at least. Start separate restaurant (or whatever) biz and pay myself the lease while making profit from it.

I do, and not what I personally want since owning is buying a job for 1 mill plus but I could land another who wants to do so, start their own or expand.
There's only one other site in town possible
and I'm hoping to get going to snatch up that land before anyone else. Should probably buy it now since the price is very good but don't want to blow my load since I'm definately not rich
And yeah, they'd absolutely want to buy my land to just build themselves but if they have no other option, they're forced to lease and build to suit.
Good thought, there's a 'Perfect Reflections' already so yeah, but a Fantastic Sams or something is definitely needed and another option I'm thinking of. You can rent each chair for $100+ per month plus lease costs (to myself), seems average profit is only ~$20k but that's just a cherry on the top since all I care and need is that rent

Fuck yeah dude, put in a gaming and movie area, also host trivia and D&D shit alone with serving food and muchies would be the shit. Would be all about the "cool" factor for the hipster faggots, you get that down and you'd be golden

And yeah, not many Asians around so another worry due to Clown world if I open a Chinese restaurant with no chinks workers and a non-gook owner and the heat it may bring. To offset was considering serving something else along side it ala from, say, Costco in-store "restaurant" among others

Source for finding local biz owners so I can try to talk them into expanding here???

Add a dab bar. I’d love to see top by after work and get a dab hit.

With pics on the wall of all time best dab hit reactions? lol

Competition isn’t what is going to kill you. Food costs, theft, and just finding people that want to work in a hot fucking kitchen for hours without getting paid shit is what will kill you.
Also, have you ever considered there is a reason there isn’t any competition? You might have a shit labor pool to draw from, high taxes, all sorts of shit.
Just find someone to do all the shit work of running a restaurant and sell or lease them the land.

First: what's your target?
Workers, kids, families, fancy people?
Second: you can't really manage a restaurant if you don't have a clue about the shit you sell (mex/asian whatever? it doesn't really work like that).

>theft
No worries there for it's ~95% White town but yeah, ideally I'd just build and would give no fucks who leases but there's opportunity for profit and for better returns/paying off faster than a ~10% CAP
>have you ever considered there is a reason there isn’t any competition?
Yep, there's a reason why the town was "stuck" and now housing prices have skyrocketed the last couple years (new bridge)
Property taxes are high
>Shit labor pool
Hadn't really considered but would only need a couple employees along with myself, not that I want to do pleb work but would at the start and I'm no kike so have no problem giving a fair wage because any profit made is simply a cherry on the top of the endeavor; lease and starting the development to hopefully entice and fill the property with others is the main goal

Middle class town so them and their families, also the many industrial workers in town; bonus delivering lunch and dinner to them.
>you can't really manage a restaurant if you don't have a clue about the shit you sell
Definitely hear you there but what is there really to know? Honestly? Take Panda express for example, making sesame & general Tso's chicken, beef lo mein, White and brow rice, egg rolls, wantons, is not difficult at all.
You're average Chinese joint is basic, especially the shit franchises, so the plan would be offer that and also the actual good shit, Mongolian BBQ made on order.
No buffet garbage, too much space and additional workers.
Mexican I'm less enthused about but again, there's zero competition and figured I could add Gyros (my fav) and shit, too