Is learning to code in SWIFT a good idea? I decided that I cant be a waggie anymore...

Is learning to code in SWIFT a good idea? I decided that I cant be a waggie anymore. I want to study coding and become a ios dev, or something like this, and escape being a waggie, do some apps for ios and get paid and thats it.

Attached: 65522732_1140351276137727_777756012516999168_n.jpg (806x540, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

infoworld.com/article/2908474/stack-overflow-survey-finds-nearly-half-have-no-degree-in-computer-science.html
freecodecamp.org/
lambdaschool.com/
indeed.com/jobs?q=Javascript&l=
guide.freecodecamp.org/mobile-app-development/swift-development/
stackoverflow.com/jobs/salary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

good idea
Do you own a MAC?

Stack Overflow survey: Nearly half of developers are self-taught
infoworld.com/article/2908474/stack-overflow-survey-finds-nearly-half-have-no-degree-in-computer-science.html
freecodecamp.org/
lambdaschool.com/
“With online classes taught by live instructors and one-on-one mentoring, Lambda School is your gateway to a new career in just 9 months. And the best part? You won't pay a cent until you land a high-paying job.”

indeed.com/jobs?q=Javascript&l=

Attached: 1566391625827.png (680x638, 250K)

indie game dev here, only 0.01% of apps make any reasonable amount of money and only 0.001% of apps make life changing money.

you'll be waging forever, good news is, there's a lot of demand for coders and lifestyles are pretty good cause of competetion

no, SWIFT is shit and native IOS development sucks. learn something less niche and more versatile. I recommend C#. if you still want to make IOS apps you can code in C# and use Xamarin to do so.

>C# and use Xamarin to do so
javascript and react native is good too.

javascript is the easiest to learn.

Yes, and an iphone so I can test my apps.

yeah, javascript is a must know if you want to find work in the future

good so it wont cost you anything, you cant code SWIFT on anything other than a mac.

guide.freecodecamp.org/mobile-app-development/swift-development/

still I would recommend starting with HTML & JS once you can build a basic web page then switch to SWIFT

stackoverflow.com/jobs/salary

I think C# is easier to learn, but that's just me. it's much cleaner

>javascript is a must know if you want to find work in the future
agreed
although web assembly is going to make other language more portable as well.

>C# is easier to learn, but that's just me. it's much cleaner
js is kinda retarded.
the benefit is press f12 and start typing code into the console with no setup and no compilation.
It's really good to just get started and feel wow I can do this. The type edge cases and other stuff is a time sinkhole with no real payoff.

here is some javascript you can try right now.
press crtl + shift + i
paste this into the console

const add = (a, b) => a + b
add(1,3)

I graduated from some IT school and I know some basics, but it was 9 years ago.

I have read that SWIFT is realy simple, and once you know how to code in SWIFT it will be easier to try java or C#

I really wouldn't recommend swift. I dove into native IOS development at one point and walked away after a few months disgusted by it. most of my hate is for Xcode to be honest. it's about what I should have imagined an IDE designed by apple would be. too many bells and whistles. it requires it's own learning curve and I didn't have the patience for it. It's not like a normal IDE where you just step through code, there's a whole visual component to it as well....it's just over the top imo. not sure how to describe it other than comparing it to something like photoshop. it you ever used photoshop, you know that you can stumble through basic stuff as a beginner and get done simple tasks, but if you want to unlock the potential of more advanced effects and features, you have to learn all the tips and tricks of the software...and there are a lot. Xcode is the same way. you have to learn the software.
so you can learn swift on Xcode, but then what? there's not much native IOS work out there. everyone is using alternatives for mobile development. if the end goal is to get a job, then skip swift. use tools and technologies that are more versatile and less niche.

>I have read that SWIFT is realy simple
it's way more simple than objective c
>and once you know how to code in SWIFT it will be easier to try java or C#
if java and c# are the goal look at Kotlin as well similare syntax to SWIFT.
or as the other user said xamarian
Still if you have the background listen to this user
about not becoming too niche

What ever you choose pick one language and do the following:
code a project based video tutorials and files you can check your work against
listen to the podcasts to see what's annoying and hot
watch conference's too see the existing pain points the people using the language everyday are trying to solve

>I decided that I cant be a waggie anymore
Good luck on getting out of waggie level user.
It's possible.

Isn't Flutter better for both iOS and android development? I used it to make a simple demo app and it seems good once you understand the widget stuff.

it is easier and time efficient, but when you deployed your cross-platform app, it usually takes 3x more space and 3x slower than native apps.. it is good if you just want to build an mvp or prototype..

More than half of the developer job listings require a degree.

if you want curry work in the future, sure. frontend is one of the most replaceable positions in IT, aside from maybe DBA or devops. learn something else, like backend (still replaceable), data science, UX or something that requires solid foundations in computer science and not speed curry coding.
anyway, no, learning how to """code""" isn't gonna make you silicon valley rich in 2 weeks.

is there even such a thing as a back end programmer who isn't expected to know the whole stack to some degree?