Any advice on making money from freelance writing work, translating, ghostwriting, etc?

Any advice on making money from freelance writing work, translating, ghostwriting, etc?

Attached: Writing work.png (868x630, 971K)

try upwork or similiar services

dont. its literal hell.

I have stable clients that I'm earning about 3,000$ from in addition to another job. I'm curious about scaling things or turning them into a creative studio.

>any idea how I can be poor while constantly begging for and doing shit work?

Attached: 1559188118908.gif (240x180, 444K)

This. Would be better off starting your own website and blog and make money with that. Or do editing services where you fix people's grammar (less effort).

I made 420$ this morning rewriting one blog and landing page (charged cents per word). There is money to be made, I'm interested in finding out how to maximize that.

Thats a good idea. You're saying just a personal blog instead of pursuing some niche shit?

on upwork or medium or are you a reputable journalist? I'm guessing blog work isn't something one can jump into on a whim

To be honest it kind of started by accident. I found clients on upwork/freelancer and then started working off of there with them. Over time, found more people by word of mouth, etc. It eventually led me towards getting a stable job for the past two years. So, writing is kind of a side thing. But I want more moneh!

Well shit, you need to be giving us advice then user. I want to work from home, even if it's tedious bullshit.

>You're saying just a personal blog instead of pursuing some niche shit?
Niche shit. Because you will be mostly writing niche shit as a freelancer anyway, except not getting any passive income on it. Although you also won't make money on it right away. Personal blog makes sense if you want to market your grammar service or some other skill. Think fixing resumes, whitepapers, etc.

You won't be able to do it forever. I came close to a burnout. Plus I don't spend all my time working from home, I go to an office that I rent with a friend (but still, freedom). Basically I just found clients, produced good written work, and started charging more and more over time. It has a lot to do with how you communicate and present yourself. I prefer to work with people from Europe.

That 420$ (approx), was 0.20 cents per word for however 2,100-2,200 words. Took no more than two hours.

I'm guessing theres no list out there of Niche shit that needs to be filled.

Would have to do keyword research, yeah. Could look at Reddit communities, see what questions they ask, steal the ideas behind the top comments, and write them as articles. Although if you can make $420 in two hours, might as well stick to that. Blogs probably don't make that much. (Obviously 100 hours of work will not translate to $42,000)

I cannot charge clients $420 for two hours. Not even $200. I think now I'm severely undercharging and undercutting myself because I feel like I'm competing with Fiverr people. What's your secret? Would you say you're in the top 10% of copywriters? As far as skill involved.

Really its all about how you present yourself. Taking communications off of sites like fiverr, freelancer, and upwork is a good idea. Finding a stable client(s), working with him for a little while and then jacking up the price (if you do good work and everyone is happy).

Over time, you build confidence to charge more money while having some saved in the bank. I would do a blog out of personal interest though. Good idea regarding Reddit.

>I made 420$ this morning rewriting one blog and landing page
typical freelancer cope. you will never get the workflow to write these things every day, and you spend so much time acquiring, managing and dealing with clients that will eat into your billable hours. I freelance for years and never made more than 40-50k a year and thats with maxing everything out, working myself to the bone. no insurance, no benefits, no nothing. the biggest problems with this shit is a) its not scaleable b) its constant uncertainty and feast or famine c) you dont build any assets. Im technically still a freelancer but now I work in a highly leverage field (copywriting, get royalties from every piece I write) plust Im on an exclusive retainer with a client who pays me 6k a month just to stay with them. I unironically wouldve been better off just getting a job with that client in the first place. If you want to work for yourself I would highly recommend building assets, I wrote several thousand articles over the years for clients who paid me peanuts, I could have built several websites that wouldve made me recurring income streams if I had put that work in for myself.

if youre good at getting clients you can go the agency wrote and hire other freelancers and pay them peanuts to do the projects you bring in but thats a completely different nightmare in itself that I personally have no experience with.

freelancing is literally the worst of both worlds, you have the uncertainty and stress of an entrepreneur but the income ceiling of a weagecuck who trades hours for dollars. youre better off being a full wagie or a full entrepreneur.

Hmm, I guess my problem is that I present myself as the guy that will work with any budget (which might appear as desperate work). How do you or did you justify jacking up the price to your client? Like what was the rationale that you presented. Seems like it could be perceived as odd to raise the price by 25% for no reason.

So would you recommend just starting a blog/building websites then? That’s the only way to acquire assets.
Writing/editing for someone else isn’t something I’m into, either, but I’m tired of waging in the office. I’d even be okay with making half of what I earn if it means I could work from home.

if you're young, do it for some time, then stop

It's kind of cope I guess, I could live without the money.
I agree, a ton of time is spent on acquiring clients, and often times it goes down the drain.

There are two things to keep in mind though. First, this isn't my main revenue stream, it doesn't even make up half. Secondly, I live in Russia, so low cost of living.

I also already have two assistants who can do written shit that I later simply proofread. So, I could make a website and provide "Content services" and make a brand out of it imho.

Thats true, but it can also be used to make some good cash if you're

1) Write
2) Communicate
3) Are lucky

Ew. Just write fucking stories and publish them. Don't do this shit.

>I could make a website and provide "Content services
I would stay away from content writing altogether you simply have no leverage. theres a million people doing it willing to do it cheaper, its a race to the bottom. you always kinda max out at 20-25 cents or so because why woudl somebody pay you more? content is just shit they use for blogs to get more traffic and it really doesnt matter if you pay $50 or $500 dollars for an article. better do something with leverage like copywriting, where if they pay you 100k they end up making $1 mill so you can charge more money and get a share of the revenue. or you just build a scaleable business. you could build an agency but then you have to manage other freelancers who are notoriously unreliable I personalyl wouldnt want to be in that business.

> I live in Russia

GTFO man, don't you have your own board fucking nazi

all the pajeets ITT screaming "go away white man" so afraid losing their "jobs" writing bad English content, hilarious

yeah because you totally wanna end up competing with pajeets on price.

Join this Discord - bTNQ4px

No, I don't, this is my board.