Chapter 1. Working

Grab the bottle. Twist the cap.

As the day wore on, the Man’s focus tended to drift. The task itself was meaningless, but the concerted concentration of his co-workers implied that the bottle itself was the definition of meaning. The Man did not see things this way, the bottles were the means to his own end. A simple job, a steady paycheck, another week survived with a bank account barely in the black. This was his job.

He hated it.

Occasionally, a bottle would come through with a chipped edge. These were defective bottles. He did not need to apply a cap. Deep down, he liked these bottles. And when he picked them up to deposit them into the recycling bin, he liked to imagine that he was saving the bottle from a dismal future and instead giving it an opportunity to become something more. Part of something bigger than it could ever be as a regular old bottle. Maybe it would be recycled to become a lens in the stage lighting of some rock concert. Or maybe it would be crafted by the hands of some artisan on the cusp of some amazing display, an artistic statement announcing a new concept of beauty. Or even as the water glass of some neo-beatnik in a slam poetry bar, a tool to punctuate gesticulated pontifications on the conflicting nature between social structures and cultural morals.

These were the fantasies the Man would use to keep his monotonous daily routine from engulfing him and crushing him with its monotony. The conveyor belt’s series of steel gears created a deafening din. Ear protectors needed to be worn. Safety protocols. Conversation wasn’t possible. You could attempt to catch the eyes of a co-worker across the belt, but why bother? Everyone’s eyes were focused on the bottles.

Attached: Grab the Bottle.jpg (500x333, 62K)

The Man didn’t want to talk anyway; his coworkers lacked the personality that he required to justify a passing interest in conversation. And even if they were worth talking to, looking away to have a conversation would only let bottles slide past. Then he’d be the asshole having made the next guy in the line’s job harder. It was a stupid job. His coworkers were stupid people. It was best that he kept to himself. Instead of disappointing himself by engaging with his coworkers, he flicked these fantasies on, commercial breaks to a show he could barely stand.

But it was something he needed to stand.
>Grab the bottle, twist the cap.
This was the last chance for him to keep his place. if he didn’t have a job then he’d no longer be able to pay his rent.
If he couldn’t pay rent, then he’d have to move out of his small bachelor flat.
If he didn’t have a job, he wouldn’t be able to get a new place.
If he couldn’t get a new place, he’d be homeless.
And if he were homeless, he knew that he would die.
>Grab the bottle...

A defect. Huzzah! He quickly grabbed it for himself, “Where do you think you’re going?’ the man mused openly. He lifted the uncappable bottle, oblivious to the irritation of his coworkers who increased their pace to cover his slack as he inspected the damage.

Attached: take a breath.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

The mouth of the bottle had been torn off completely, a jagged trident of glass shards with an unwieldy grip. There was no way a cap was going on this one, and only the most self-destructive alcoholic would consider drinking from it. This sort of glass bottle could never be used in a bar fight, except maybe as a projectile. No, this bottle could be the sort of thing that a berated and beaten down prison inmate could turn into a desperate salvation. This bottle could be the key to freedom, a last ditch effort at fighting back, the key to revolution. Everyone loves an underdog.

He lifted the bottle up to catch the attention of his team lead. “Hey Steve,” he shouted over the belt’s roar, “I’m taking this to the trash bin.” Steve’s brief glance and nod confirmed to the Man that it was okay to take a small break from capping for as long as his walk to and back from the recycling bin would take. The Man smirked inwardly, he considered taking a piss break but wondered if that would push Steve’s patience.

As he walked towards the recycling deposit, he tossed the rogue bottle back and forth in his hands. His brief allowance of instinctive joy in playing with danger being akin to an approved conjugal visit with his childhood self. That emotion was swept aside by the sharp stabbing pain as one of the bottle’s glass shards came loose and embedded itself deep into the meat of the Man’s palm.

“Agh! Jesus Fuck!” the Man cried, the rebellious defect dropping from his hands in its ever desired bid for freedom. Flying triumphantly downwards, its liberation manifested in its explosive destruction upon the floor, its shards dispersing like dandelion blossoms seeking eternity.

A klaxon sounded.

“INTERRUPTION ON THE SHOP FLOOR! CEASE CAPPING!”

Attached: Twist the Cap.jpg (600x600, 62K)

The machine roar stopped as the conveyor belts came to a halt. Bottles shuddered to a stop as a human explosion of noise erupted; surprised laughter, grumbles of interruption, exhalations of breath to accommodate backs stretching. A pair of glaring eyes locked onto the Man’s as the Safety Lead came forward out of the din.

“Janotiros!” The lead shouted, gesturing to a distant set of blue and green coveralls and then sharply to the shards on the ground. “What happened here, stupid? Weren’t you told to be safe with these things?”

“I uhhh … it uh … kinda slipped” the Man said, plaintively raising the palm-stabbing shard up to the Safety Lead, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to cause-” The Safety Lead cut him off.

“When there is a presence of unsafe work conditions, we must shut the floor down” the Safety Lead droned, ignoring the Man’s words as he took his hand and eyed the shard. “Any failure to do so will render the company liable to the individual injuries caused. Too many liabilities, then we have to shut the plant down. Not enough bottles capped, then we have to shut the plant down.”

The Man winced as the Safety Lead seized the shard with his fingertips. “Do YOU want the plant shut down, son?”

“No sir!” the Man responded in strict military cadet fashion. The shard was pulled from his palm, the sharp anticipation of pain suddenly evaporating to nothing as he opened his eyes and looked at the weeping wound where the glass had resided. Despite the blood, the pain had dulledto a low, warm throbbing.

“Listen,” the Safety Lead began, his tone softening, “Every time you take a step, your brain is looking for signals of danger. If it doesn’t see it, if you can’t recognize it, your brain simply moves on. This is why we have stop-work protocols. For this very reason.”

The Man nodded, unsure where this was going.

Attached: breathe out.png (600x433, 6K)

“We can’t trust you to do what’s safe for you. We can’t trust that you’re even capable of perceiving the risk.” The Safety Lead’s eyes bored into the Man’s. “Nobody is perfect, and you best remember that because all of these people’s lives depend on your recognition of that fact.”

The Man then looked around and recognized all the sets of eyes on him. Their gazes alone carried the judgement of a hundred mistakes, a thousand crimes. He recoiled under the pressure, but then thought bitterly to himself how any of them could have fucked up like this, probably worse even. He felt heat rising along the back of his neck.

A klaxon sounded.

“INCIDENT RESOLVED. RESUME CAPPING!”

The murmur of human voices getting back to their daily duties was quickly drowned out by the machine roar of the conveyor belt coming to life again. The blue and green clothed janitor carried the blossomed shards of the rebel bottle in his dustpan and dumped them into the recycler bin. Each and every one of those shards embarking on its own journey to become anything that it could have ever wanted to be.

End of Chapter 1

Attached: move on.jpg (1970x1735, 1.13M)

Pretty neat user, good read

Glad you liked it.
Hope you like the rest.

Gay

How do you not kill yourself wasting your life like that?

Nicely written
If I lose the game I'm gonna be pissed

Fuck, now you made ME lose the game.

Don't worry, this isn't the game, nor a trip to BelAir. This is something new. OC, if you will. It's so original it's not even finished yet. I'll try to keep posting it around this time, I don't want to commit yet to however many days between postings it'll be, but I can say that it's my primary focus right now.

>Maybe it would be recycled to become a lens in the stage lighting of some rock concert. Or maybe it would be crafted by the hands of some artisan on the cusp of some amazing display, an artistic statement announcing a new concept of beauty. Or even as the water glass of some neo-beatnik in a slam poetry bar, a tool to punctuate gesticulated pontifications on the conflicting nature between social structures and cultural morals.
Want to know how I know you're a faggot?

This could seriously be the beginning of a new classic. This is amazing

And we're all reminded of how shitty labour is in a capitalist economy

OP I enjoyed reading this. Could you put this somewhere else so we can check on its progress? So if I miss your next thread I can still read.Interested to see where this is going. Also I've worked jobs like this and it really got me in the feels.

You needn't worry. Future chapters will contain links to previous chapters. So even if you end up missing 5 or so after this one, you'll have a chance to catch up.

Capping bottles is automated pretty much everywhere in the world.

>Want to know how I know you're a faggot?

Its called creativity, try it some time

Ah yes, lets compare this to labor in a communist country:
The govt tells you where to live and what your job will be
No extra pay for the job being shit, or the hours being long, or hazardous
No real hope of advancement
People in power live like kings anyway

This board is for politics, please keep this fucking Reddit garbage on Reddit

would you have preferred if he wrote "Maybe it would be recycled to become a GLORIOUS GOBLET in the hand of an ARYAN NAZI GOD who was KILLING THE NIGGERS as he drank the AMBROSIA OF WHITE PRIDE"

Attached: 1483734728089.png (452x286, 25K)

s-saved.
Will you post more today?

Haha. Make that an option in the choose your own adventure format

Good stuff, user! You got talent.

I mean, yes, look where you are. come on.

Attached: 092538c3-04e1-4417-b945-0a45728fc25e.jpg (300x300, 21K)

Stop wasting time and keep writing you fuck. 10 hours a day.

Wait, what game?
Really appreciate this, user, great writing. I'm hanging for more already. I hope I catch the next chapter.

is this OC? Well written.

Fuck off, we're enjoying this. It's actually good writing. Try appreciating quality sometime. Ungrateful cunt.
You know how I know there's a fair chance you're a fucking shill?

Really good man