Is music culturally dead?

I'm a professional classical musician, and lately I've been feeling like music has become entirely irrelevant in every form.

When I was growing up, musicians were like heroes and gods. They were considered to be interesting and unique people. There was almost a mystical aura around them, because you didn't know much about them. You might listen to their music and imagine they are really interesting. You may wonder where they got their inspiration from, if they had really interesting life experiences and an interesting world-view. They must in order to make such interesting music right?

Now the image of the musician has devolved to a court jester. It's just a job now. Due to the internet, we all know that musicians are just boring regular people who sell a product. They aren't smart or interesting people, you can go to their twitter and see all of the stupid mundane shit they're posting.

Are musicians even influential to society anymore? Musicians were largely influential to the greatest generation and boomers. Greatest generation had Frank Sinatra and boomers had bands like Led Zeppelin and others.

I just want to quit music at this point. I feel like my profession has devolved to the point of mundane whoredom. There's too much music on the internet and it has no meaning in today's world like it did even 10-15 years ago.

Is the musician/artist obsolete?

Attached: 1522050528977.jpg (768x1024, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QyIXWpXgNuM
youtube.com/watch?v=dylFrTOjPZY
youtube.com/watch?v=oZ62MOvS2hQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AmDCpDW16BY
youtu.be/_RMax1LS3pM
youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Interesting thread. Pretty sure pol doesn't care though.

Based American classical musician welcome back

you know op youre right and wrong
plenty of people hate todays music understanbly its all nigger soundcloud music but music has phases and trends right now its sound cloud rappers and some people really do put their heart and soul into music and plenty of people love it and plenty of people hate it
its all a matter of perspective , just be postive about the truely gifted people and not a bunch of niggers and whiggers who wanna be tupac

youtu.be/QyIXWpXgNuM

Attached: 9D863E5E-3956-4652-8C9F-EB50711B9294.jpg (768x500, 61K)

>I'm a professional classical musician

musical talent does not appeal to the lowest common denominator. shitty rap and shitty electronic music seem to be all the rage. have you considered being a terrible rapper or installing fruityloops?

>plenty of people hate todays music understanbly its all nigger soundcloud music but music has phases and trends right now its sound cloud rappers and some people really do put their heart and soul into music and plenty of people love it and plenty of people hate it

SoundCloud rap is clearly fucking degenerate and retarded, but it's more than that.

There is not a genre of music that is even slightly inspiring to culture right now. Music is like an entertaining curiosity you might listen to on YouTube for 5 minutes or put on in the background.

Usually when something interesting is happening musically, many people kind of plug into a zeitgeist hivemind and rally around it. You saw this happen shortly with "Death Grips" for a little bit. But even that was pretty lame.

I think there's too much music out there. Everybody is posting their albums online.

I'm a musician and I even find music slightly boring. It's not dangerous or interesting anymore. Musicians don't do or say anything truly rebellious anymore. They don't have anything to say about anything at all. I haven't heard a good lyric in like 10 years or longer.

>I feel like my profession has devolved to the point of mundane whoredom

i know that feel.

there is no culture anymore. There is imitation and refutation. It’s been autumn for quite some time now

Attached: DD7B4653-F2FB-4F09-B0F1-EFD5FC2DDC43.jpg (350x217, 31K)

When Stravinsky performed "The Rite of Spring" for the first time in Russia, it caused a riot.

This is classical music. Starting a riot.

Could anything a musician did start a riot these days? Maybe doing some nazi salutes or something. That's about it though.

youtube.com/watch?v=dylFrTOjPZY

Thank the older generations for allowing the jew to corrupt every form of media. you old fucks did this...thanks

Music used to be something you worked hard for and sacrificed to make. Only people really serious about it, or with tons of money, made it. Nowaday any asshole can run pro tools in his house and make something. The ease of production destroyed its value.

Yes. There used to be European high art and folk music of all kinds, but music now is a commodity. It's an industry designed to make money, not create art.

t. classical musician still in school

>Professional classical musician
>Cares about artists more than art
>Sinatra and Zeppelin
This has to be b8

Sam Hyde looks like hes recently been shit out of an asshole

>in order to make such interesting music right?
no. Never once thought about the musician. Just liked the music

>I'm a professional classical musician
instrument and timestamp or gtfo

Did you use that unrelated pic because you knew it was the only reason people would read this thread? It worked #coats

Great question. Music is not culturally dead. Culture is dead because music is not valued.

blames the joos and boomers
>needs an earlier bedtime

You need some MULE TRAIN:
youtube.com/watch?v=oZ62MOvS2hQ

Good music still exists. youtu.be/QyIXWpXgNuM

No, this is "classical" "music" starting a riot.

Also recommend this classic. We need more songs like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=AmDCpDW16BY

>strawmans my posts
>blows multiple gay nigger cocks for POZ loads in truck-stop glory holes
retard

interesting

lawl rly? I can do it if that interests you

Never said good music doesn't exist. I said music is not valued.

>Could anything a musician did start a riot these days? Maybe doing some nazi salutes or something. That's about it though
Think about that though. Maybe the reason music is "dead" is because of our cultural prohibition on talking about the one thing we're all thinking about, the Ethnocide of the West. Everything that is produced is a strangled and uninspired mess because art can't fulfill its intended function of speaking to the most pressing issues of the time.

Venti is the best way to get people to check out the thread

It's also a great pic, and who doesn't love a rare venti?

have another

stravinsky isn't that bad
tacky

Attached: 1520999428197.jpg (720x900, 58K)

It's still full of great music, you're just mad because you cant fuck groupies anymore. Idolatry it's a pleb thing and op is a faggot, nothin new under the sun.

When you were growing up music was stiff and one dimensional. Music was cookie cutter bullshit created with a formula that rich old jews knew would make them money. Music today is in a freer state than it's ever been. No more shitty pop punk bands with angsty lyrics directed at a youth that thought their lives were shit because their crush ignored them.

What I'm getting at OP is that you're a pleb with shit tier taste and you'll never be interesting or have a relevant opinion so you should swallow glass and fuck off.

Music has been creatively bankrupt for a long time due to "taste makers" trying to shove their opinion down the throat of the masses.

The 90's brought something fresh with alt and grunge while boy bands were on hiatus due to litigation (see New Kids On the Block). That got stale. Rock rap had a short stint in the later on, but didn't last long.

Real damage was done by Disney unleashing dopey whores who can't sing onto the airwaves. Brittney Spears sounds terrible even with autotune but holy shit did her underageb& ass look hot in latex. The boy bands couldn't even keep their members in the closet despite the weird purity ring thing going on.

Blogrock was the music industry grasping at straws.

Digital distribution and streaming services sucked a lot of the life out of the industry. There is no need to put up with commercial radio. Seeing live shows is no longer the primary way to experience a band to the average joe. CDs are now a niche for collectors and hifi buffs.

Attached: 1384648822209.jpg (572x507, 172K)

Feminine reasoning

Also feminine reasoning

Anthony Braxton

>Think about that though. Maybe the reason music is "dead" is because of our cultural prohibition on talking about the one thing we're all thinking about, the Ethnocide of the West

True

There's nothing actually stopping a musician from doing something EXTREMELY edgy like walking out on stage with neon swastikas and playing fascist powerpop or something

except they get blacklisted from everything, but that would be kind of good for their career wouldn't it?

I've thought about marketing myself as the first "Alt-Right" or "White Nationalist" american classical musician, but I also don't want to just be a political propagandist. I want to make music that people can emotionally relate to.

And most of the people who buy my music or come to my shows are liberals.

All of my compositions are nationalist themed though, sort of like Chopin did.

negrification of culture, dude

All of this. It's over man. Anyone saying "y-you just have to look" is understating the problem and they know it.

Doesn't even make sense. Musicians still get laid.

I was growing in the 00's during the scene/metalcore/hardcore renaissance.

That little sub-culture was really interesting because all of those bands were playing a style of music that had never been tried before. And it was a white musical movement as well.

There hasn't been anything like that since.

>no more pop punk bands
what are you talking about there's a million pop punk bands

>you're a pleb cuz you don't appreciate the massive sea of liquid musical shit! go to bandcamp pleb!
You're a faggot

Synthwave is the future
And the future is today

Don’t forget the kikes negative influence

Attached: 4D6DE826-CA84-45EF-8053-0140F8E9CB16.jpg (1198x807, 285K)

moar rare venti pls

and fuck off music faggot. music is only 4 chords on repeat, then some variation of that progressions as chorus, then repeat again. put over a (((beat)))

>I've thought about marketing myself as the first "Alt-Right" or "White Nationalist" american classical musician, but I also don't want to just be a political propagandist. I want to make music that people can emotionally relate to.
Clever job (((someone))) has done of pigeonholing [ethno-]nationalist sentiment as intractably linked with a sense of raving fanaticism

>Seeing live shows is no longer the primary way to experience a band to the average joe.

I don't know, I think it's the ONLY way to experience a band.

I actually sold out my last show. I was shocked. I thought 5 people were going to show up but every single seat was filled and people had to stand in the back

It seems like people still want to see somebody play live. They want to see them do it in front of their faces, there's some sort of novelty in that.

I think there's less of an experience listening to music at home or something

As someone who WISHES they had the time to make music, fucking do it. We're way overdue for another Pink Floyd or Beetles level of influence band

>music is only 4 chords on repeat, then some variation of that progressions as chorus, then repeat again. put over a (((beat)))

What the fuck are you talking about?

There's a trillion different genres of music out there, a lot of it is highly technical as well. Doesn't mean it's good though

>We're way overdue for another Pink Floyd or Beetles level of influence band

I don't really think it's possible to have a band or artist like that again.

I make classical music too so my audience are generally a niche group of educated liberals.

>I think there's less of an experience listening to music at home or something
I agree with this entirely. I didn't understand until I had a music teacher mandate that I actually go see live musicians and write about it. There is a big difference between listening to music and experiencing live performance. Still, going to a venue is an out of the way thing for me and my friends, and the local bars don't care about having live music.

Attached: 1414962865061.jpg (487x720, 42K)

fellow professional classical musician here. ive been feeling the same thing for a little over a decade now. just keep your head down, study the classics/masters (bach, beethoven, mozart, etc [your instrument probably has specific composers]), become god-like in your technique and craft, and wait for what comes next. just keep the ember of classical music smoldering. eventually we will overcome the jewish poison of atonality and intellectualism that has crippled art-music for almost a century. eventually great art-music will return. just keep the tradition alive for god's sake.

Mathematically there has to be a finite number of combinations you can make in music, and only a fraction of those will be discernably different to our brains.

Maybe all the combinations have been made now and there's nowhere left to go.

Throughout history the rate of new music being produced was quite slow. Then in the 20th century it exploded with the advent of radio, and has only continued to increase since then as things like music videos, the internet, and cheap/easy audio software and about.
Maybe the rate got so high that we burned through what would have been centuries of music evolution within decades.

I don't believe that. A talented person can appear in any field work. You yourself could be the next big thing if you believed in yourself enough.

Nah

I am attempting to get my degree in music and since you consider yourself a professional, or are a confirmed one, may I ask for some tips along the way? I am mainly a tuba player inspiring to be just like or better than Baadsvik. Greatly appreciate it since it seems like the classical music lifestyle is dying, and so is the industry as a whole. Also about what you said about classical music having no sway over the world, you're wrong OP. The first time I listened to Mozart's Turkish March was grand, and now whenever I listen to other types of music I can't help but feeling passionate and going with the flow of the beat. Currently attempting to master Hungarian Rhasphody No.5 by Johanne but as a tuba solo.

Attached: Feels.jpg (205x246, 7K)

what a stupid post

Streaming fucked up the monetary engine that powered the industry. Ultimately music became commodities to the point of cultural irrelevance. Its not coming back. People will always pay to see a live classical music performance. So that's at least something!

I hear classical composers coming up with all kinds of new crazy shit all the time. I don't think this will be a problem.

My goal is to popularize my own compositions

One of my classical releases was a best seller on bandcamp for like 4 weeks a couple months ago. I want to keep performing them and get other musicians to perform them as well.

We need to create an infastructure for classical music that is NOT in the university system. I have been booking shows in art galleries and places like that and performing there and having other classical musicians from the university perform too.

We need a new network where classical musicians can thrive outside of the Jew-dominated university system

We need to revive classical music. The time is ripe for it. All of the other genres are boring and average normies are becoming more curious about classical, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Attached: 1520999018050.jpg (1080x1080, 291K)

>educated liberals
Hate to break it to you, but they're all listening to pitchfork approved memerap.
Also memerap is the new prog rock.

I'm not saying no new music could be made, just that we might reach a point where everything new sounds derivative.

I'm just spitballing though.

Its called metal
youtu.be/_RMax1LS3pM

So what's the problem? Musicians contribute nothing that can advance society, and the art of music itself isn't as deep or complex as other forms of art such as films and literature.

Musicians have always been court jesters anyway

>Streaming fucked up the monetary engine that powered the industry.
It was more like a perpetual chain of terrible decisions that killed it off.

>music execs bent over Walmart and Target when they decided they wanted to set the price for pop CDs and not the music industry
Killed off the corner CD shop and a major venue for those looking to branch out with their tastes

>music execs help Apple become carte blanche for digital music distribution
Once Apple knew it had them by the balls, it just had to squeeze. The video industry and other industries watched in horror but at least learned when Apple tried to do it them as well.

>trying to squeeze what little money there is out of streaming
Not sure this is even a viable business model with the companies that run these services barely staying above water

Attached: 1314068635137.jpg (554x527, 60K)

get over yourself. it's the best advice i can give.

Nah there's a lot of educated liberals who think that stuff is garbage and mock it. I know because they come to my concerts or I see them at other classical concerts and talk to them.

Did you start your degree yet?

This is what professional classical musicians do:
>teach private lessons at a music school
>teach at home
>play wedding gigs
>play in restaraunts

I know absolutely nothing about tuba but you should learn another instrument that can be used in music venues or can be played at weddings and stuff like that. Maybe learn piano as well as tuba.

Classical music is just as hard as any other field to get anywhere with it. You have to be creative, so record albums and find other musicians to perform/record with. Write your own compositions. All that sort of stuff.

My ultimate advice is to not go to college for music. I just took private lessons for 6 years and then went to university for economics, because a music degree didn't seem profitable to me.

If you want to get your masters/PhD you can maybe teach in the university system I guess.

I also have to do website design as well as my classical music to make enough money. So definitely also learn another skill. I'm actually working on getting my insurance licence so I can sell insurance part-time as well.

Metal is completely dead

I played in a touring metal band before I became a classical musician.

It's a stale meme genre at this point. The people who are involved in the scene are the dumbest PC SJW cocksucking faggot retards alive, and the people showing up to the concerts are the bottom feeders of society.

Also none of the metal bands are doing anything new or interesting. NeObliviscaris just blends new-age instrumental shit with black metal, it's super boring.

I sort of liked Vildhjarta when they first came out though, that was some fun stuff.

ITS ALEAYS 6IX 9INE THIS AND 6IX 9INE THAT
NIGGAS ON MY DICK ON MY YACHT
THESE NIGGAS LOOKING FOR ME YOU COULD HIT ME UP
I DONE DROPPED MY ADDRESS, Y'ALL KNOW WHERE 69 AT

>implying 6ix 9ine isnt your hero

Attached: 1522217511126.png (505x438, 193K)

I'm already very over myself, I promise

>"taste makers"
jews

Act 3 is coming out soon so music isn't dead yet.

This makes me sad. As a musician (not nearly on your level, OP) I find this post to ring true. Talent isn't really needed anymore and what's out there is largely devoid of meaning or heart. When my local church bells ring out some Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" at 7:30pm every night I get chills more than I do from any new song "dropped" by the artist du jour. Sorry OP. Can you stay with it longer?

no, it isn't, you're just limited in what you're exposed to and no, the musician artist isn't obsolete in the slightest, you just haven't evolved with the modern times, you're set in your ways, there's a lot of music you've never heard made my people you've never heard of that's good

>shitty electronic music
Electronic music is unironically one of the only fields where real musical innovation is happening these days.

Everyone knows you cant make shit all money from it but thats where passion comes into play. The bigger names will always be a blend of new and old cuz that what spark most peoples interest but if you look long enough in the underground theres always something for your taste. Just gotta dig a little

I currently know advanced trumpet trombone and semi professional level tuba. Also I don't know where to get private lessons out in the middle of fucking California, and even so that tuba private lessons are rare as fuck. Also no I have not, I am deciding on to go for Bachelors straight up, or maybe somewhere in the Engineering field because I am really good at math. The reasoning for my choice on a musical degree is, because I want to join one of the giant symphonies that travel around the world. Especially since tuba players are rare now adays and I would be getting paid 20k more than the average musician due to my instrument. I am considering teaching highschool for easy gibs, or university so I can earn my PHD for free. 150k a year is good enough for the lifestyle I am willing to live.

Attached: 1516161993392.jpg (680x680, 51K)

Also there will ways be sjw tool like rob flynn. Always

And you are retarded. To make good music with pro tools or fruity loops or whatever takes a good amount of skill. If you think its easy, download a fucking daw and try to make some electronic music (that doesnt sound lile a fucking casio keyboard preset)

there's music that's made for the sake of music and not to make money or to build a brand
but you probably won't ever hear it even if some of it were uploaded anywhere, among the sea of shit

I hear it because I'm studying classical music, so I get exposed to a lot of less common music

>there's a lot of music you've never heard made my people you've never heard of that's good

I highly doubt that. I literally do this for a living.

Electronic music is unhuman so nobody cares what's happening there except druggies and a minority of intellectually curious weirdos

I am fully aware of what's going on in underground music, I played in underground bands for 8 years before becoming a classical musician

Underground is ALMOST as boring as mainstream now. The whole thing has this homosexual PC art-school vibe to it.

Seriously. The actual people involved in underground music have become increasingly uglier and gayer in the last 10 years. You don't see smoking hot girls at underground shows anymore.

i think it has more to do with you having no talent

well then nigger you're going to have to wait until the apocalypse for that to be fixed
>caring about the opinions of random ass other faggots that you'll never meet and never want to know in tail end of the age of decadence
the problem is you

Welcome to the last quarter century.

>I don't really think it's possible to have a band or artist like that again.
thank fucking GOD

If you can make it in a symphony, that's great.

I am personally not interested in doing symphony stuff. I'm a classical guitarist and sometimes symphonies will use classical guitarists for concertos or have them play a a solo piece in the middle of a concert. I did a solo piece for a symphony once but that was it.

It's pretty hard to get into a symphony so I personally wouldn't feel safe banking on that.

I would go into engineering if you think you can do it. There's a lot of money in there, and you can study music on the side always as well.

But if you see a clear path to become a professional tuba player/teacher, then go for it. I don't know anything about tuba so I'm probably not the best to talk to.

Sam is an absolute UNIT. He could tear you to shreds. At LEAST 6'4"

Attached: 87e56dca71e31c0dbaf7cc4df3216aec7c18f961fba11f50c80cb3f536c9f356.jpg (599x600, 69K)

>When I was growing up, musicians were like heroes and gods. They were considered to be interesting and unique people. There was almost a mystical aura around them, because you didn't know much about them.

This itself was a product of 20th century social engineering. Musicians were never held in as high regard as they were during the mid 20th century in the post WWII years. Prime examples are Elvis, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson.

Note that David Bowie once said that Adolf Hitler was the first RockStar.

Why did Bowie say this? He didn't mean that Hitler was a great musician (he wasn't). He meant that the only modern (60s/70s) examples of people with as much adulation and worship as Hitler had in the 30s and 40s were musicians.

In this sense, Hitler attracted the love of people that after Hitler only musicians and Rock Stars were able to experience.

Those who control society realized that it was better to have young virile citizens admire musicians and artists rather than political leaders who could shake up the status quo and mobilize the masses of people. This is why lots of political leaders were assassinated in the 1960s, but very few musicians were. Many of the popular musicians were killed early to diminish their power (Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly) and influence.

Although great musicians had always been revered among the elite and the cultured, the aficionados (Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, etc) the average person did not idolize musicians or look to them for influence or direction until the late 1950s and early 1960s. No one was following Louis Armstrong around the country like they did for the rock stars of the 1960s

Attached: KrustyBlotter.png (806x796, 1.53M)

That's how it always was and the fact it became anything else is a disgrace. Only a tiny few masters deserve anything other than being treated like prostitutes who work with their clothes on.

>Reads comment
>Checks flag

Oh, no wonder the commenter sounded like a retard who doesn't know what he's talking about

Musicians either mimic old styles or make low effort catchy repetative corporate shit about nothing.

There's no new innovation that captures normie's minds, music has been broken down into its most basic carnal form of essentially drumming and hooping about smashing pussy, or alternatively has become so experimental its literally noise.

Both I guess are symptoms of postmodernism expressing itself, welcome to Weimar 2.0

>Meme flag
>Retarded opinion

Seems about right

I bet you are not rich so you must be a really boring person, a loser. Music IS popular and important but not your specific boring kind of shit music.

Just look at the views

youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs

I haven't been able to make any new music in like 5 months. Shit sucks, feels like we've been in groundhog day.

Attached: 1493981878486.jpg (540x494, 118K)

most of the "riot" was just a hype story designed to bring attention to Stravinsky's music. At the same time, his music was such a modern deconstruction and abstraction of classical forms that it made people very uncomfortable. Classic music has devolved since then to the point that the only modern classical composers are those who write movie or anime scores.

Pop music has been dead since the 90s. There have been no significant musical developments since grunge and rap. In the 2000s you had emo music, and Vaporwave was a really cool musical development, but even vaporwave is by definition just remixing older sounds at odd tempos.

I am most partial to the jam band music of the Grateful Dead and Phish, because improvisation is truly an infinitely exploratory form of music and it can go anywhere and develop into new forms and sounds which can become new songs. The problem is that although there are still great jam bands out there, they are participating in an old art form, just like modern jazz musicians are participating in an old art form, even though it is still exploratory.

It's really hard to develop something new in music, and even harder to do so when the culture itself is devolving, in contrast the 1960s when culture (whether you agreed with the direction it was going in or not) was at least doing something new that had not been done before.

I foresee a revival in folk and roots music. Bluegrass is truly on the ascent right now, as is live music in general. Something new will be borne of this, but what it is no one can predict. We need people to invent some new instruments that aren't just electronic.

Attached: 1521264630288.jpg (530x707, 39K)

forgot pic

Attached: music_stops.jpg (600x800, 62K)

This isn't organic music though

This is just a jewish product made for consumption. They put a few million dollars of promotion behind it and triple their investment.

Also many of those views are fake. 2/8ths of the world population did not view Nicki Minaj twerking like a literal ape. That much of the population does not even have internet

I'm working on it, user.

I really am.
Give me a few months.

>leaf
>posts no arguments
checks out

It's not just musicians, but famous people of all stripes. They shunned the ((media)) that cultivated their cool image in order to get closer to their fans. For some people (most notably Trump) it worked, but for most celebrities it really jist drove home the point that they are regular faggots with stupid opinions and shit taste who just happen to have more money than you

Don't lament it. Praise the internet for ceaselessly pointing out that the emperor has no clothes and discrediting the cancer of our society

Music is pointless - quit doing it you fag

One day people will scratch their heads at how their grandparents actually paid to waste their time listening to muscrap

Attached: Asinou-Closeup.jpg (640x429, 156K)

>Classic music has devolved since then to the point that the only modern classical composers are those who write movie or anime scores.

There's actually a lot of great contemporary composers making good music but nobody knows about them unless you're in that world I guess

>2000s
I liked that emo/metalcore thing that we had from 2002-2008. Lotta good music came out of there.

>bluegrass
Yep I used to play in bluegrass bands.

It's been on an ascent for like 10 years now. Some faggots have subverted and it made gay hipster microbrew tattoo beard man faggotshit music, but true rural folks making cool bluegrass is awesome.

I remember I used to listen to Trampled by turtles before they blew up and liked that, but their new stuff has kinda sucked shit

Attached: 1522716579956.jpg (652x784, 159K)

Mainstream musicians are mundane and uncultured. The famous classical musicians existed during a time where rich people spent money on art and cultural development, instead of political lobbying or hedge funds. Now any working-class schmuck with half a brain can support whatever music he wants, and musicians need to pander to him to get paid. This is at least how i see it.