Is the taxi industry die? Should the government be doing more to protect it?

Is the taxi industry die? Should the government be doing more to protect it?

Attached: taxi.png (621x1110, 496K)

Let it die. If they don't like it they can go back to India

It really did, the government here said they would take measures, but it turned out to be bullcrap.
The taxi industry here is getting BTFO by Uber because of the extreme tax rates imposed on them, it's disgusting how the multicorps took this country over because of the Eurocrats

Soon uber and lyfts drivers will follow suit. Those two companies scam drivers into poverty. They take 25% cut of your earnings, pay only 68 cents per mile, while your car is depreciated 54 cents per mile. You are liable for all accidents, tickets, car repairs, gas, etc. working for uber and lyft is for the modern day slave.

Attached: 76499155-6F9E-46DD-A71B-FBFF3E308DB2.gif (216x150, 1.98M)

New York taxi drivers are killing themselves because the system the government set up meant they had to buy a taxi medallion in order to drive which cost something like a hundred grand.

Once Uber and Lyft run the taxis out of business, they will start to turn up the prices. Wait and see.

They can easily sell it as necessary in order to pay their drivers a better wage, even though they will probably give the drivers 5% of the increase and keep the rest themselves.

Can't taxi drivers just become uber drivers? What's the big deal?

no wonder all the drivers are niggers

I would hang every taxi driver in Toronto for free if I was allowed.

Fuck the cunts.

Alot more than that I read about one who bought theirs at peak for like $1.2 mil or there about

Attached: oh no.jpg (653x477, 191K)

I'm pretty sure they stated that no?

Why don't people acknowledge that Uber is a taxi depite not being painted yellow?

Because in NYC and other large cities there is a limited number of taxi licenses/medallions and Uber has made them basically worthless. Before Uber NYC taxi medallions were selling for like $1,000,000 and you then sell it when you retire and now all the old taxi drivers bought it more alot back in the old days now it is worthless basically.

I've been wondering this too. I'm sure the answer is lobbyists though.

Uber is super picky about the car. Can't be more than like 3 years old. And as was said, everyone driving a yellow cab spent big $$$ on a medallion, which is worthless once they drive for uber.

Who doesn't acknowledge it? They are taxis but better

>Who doesn't acknowledge it?

lawmakers

Bullshit. My car is from 2007 and was accepted by uber no problem.

Attached: 95707318-F874-4224-ADDE-F00E24F55206.png (728x522, 277K)

>it's another "Jow Forums is completely clueless about how regulation works" episode
oh boy here we go.
See here, have you ever wondered why taxis are regulated in the first place? It wasn't so at first.
>many years ago
>taxi business is still unregulated
>people start buying cars and working as taxis
>they compete with each other
>prices go ever lower
>eventually making it impossible for taxi drivers to make a proper living
>you can even not give a shit about those people, but they start saving on maintenance and putting you in danger over it
so, to keep this business somewhat sustainable, governments stepped in and regulated taxi service, unifying costs and limiting the total number of taxis.

Enter Uber. Uber's market model is trying to kill all competition by artifically lowering prices, despite literally BILLIONS in losses each year. How can they stay in business? Thanks to the investment bubble. Investors keep putting money into ventures like Uber, who have little more to their name than their business model and a lot of marketing. Uber is a ticking time bomb, like many anons said, sooner or later they will rise prices. It's obvious, you don't kill competition to keep prices low, you do it to become a monopoly and set whatever prices you want.

Must vary by area, because that's the rule here.

New York must have a shitload of taxi drivers, I'm sure if you go back 10-15 years the suicide rate would be around the same.

Where is here? Im in Dallas. Any car is accepted. Uber and lyft pay less than minimum wage when you factor in car depreciation, insurance, and gas.

>)
why the fuck would you not just move to one of said services? oh I know, because they paid so fucking much to get into the taxi service to begin with. taxis should indeed die, it is a cancerous unionized industry that represents all the worst of bureaucracy and government regulation.