Should Philosophy departments be defunded in university?

Should Philosophy departments be defunded in university?

Attached: 1512965483535.jpg (623x357, 38K)

yes

yes. historically, real philosophers have been professional neets. they must either be royalty or be willing to live in the streets like socrates.

The entire university system should be defunded

All universities should be required to sustain themselves on a purely commercial basis.

>Should Philosophy departments be defunded in university?
Why? Philosophy has been a key subject since the beginning of universities. And philosophy departments are so much better than Communications, Gender Studies, etc. Why not ax those ones instead?

it was diogene not socrate

Mandatory IQ tests at age 16. Top ten per cent get a free university education, bottom two percent get a free bullet. Those in the middle get mandatory vocational training. Welfare abolished. Compulsory national service for two years. All hot roasties get sent to a maximum lezdom facility. Kek akbar.

Attached: 1513216611748.gif (450x296, 499K)

If a subject does not provide it's students with practical, profitable skills and knowledge, the subject should be dumped.

>but Philosophy is the mother of the sciences
Mothers die, the children carry on

better doesn't mean good. philosophy is useless crap.

Attached: 1513546071737.png (750x1334, 666K)

Philosophy departments should be getting universities defunded

Attached: multi.png (1353x976, 328K)

i dont think it will make a difference. Universities literally teach a primitive version of reality that the real, actual world has advanced beyond thousands of years ago.
Basically, anyone that still doesn't believe in God is a primate.

no but they should limit admission

>All university departments should be required to sustain themselves on a purely commercial basis.
Fixed it.

Socrates tutored Princes and shit. He was probably upper middle class. Diogones was a fucking badass though.

Better idea, make it only accessible as a minor to a janitorial work degree so the students get something useful out of it

>better doesn't mean good. philosophy is useless crap.
There are different camps in philosophy. I'll remind you that physics was for many centuries in the philosophy department before it branched out on its own. Also, formal logic is still in the philosophy department.

You just fixed immigrant crisis in Europe.

Trade schools, STEM programs, etc. teach you HOW to live.

Philosophy, history, psychology, etc. teach you WHY you live.

They are both needed.

>. I'll remind you that physics was for many centuries in the philosophy department

and now it's not, because it's an actual science.

Attached: TdnPakG.jpg (460x1446, 121K)

Fair point, but the internet makes the WHY to live stuff available for free, puresuable if you are truly interested.

Trades / STEM programs (tend to) come with certifications that aid in employment, so can be justified as having a cost for the student.

The why stuff isn't worth the debt at a university level.

if you need to go to university and have someone teach you why to live you should just end it

no, we need more philosophy, not less

Attached: 5aa5d14e090b8.jpg (1008x760, 248K)

I think you are referring to Aristotle tutoring Alexander the great. I agree that cynicism is pretty based though.

source: graduated last year as a philosopher

Most people get so caught up in their day-to-day existence (not "living", but simply "existing") that they don't improve, learn, or grow any further. I've seen it a thousand times. That's why things like philosophy classes should be mandatory, and it's why I agree with the "non-major-related" and liberal arts classes in a basic college education.

Roll the "how" and the "why" into an integrated curriculum so that, when the student leaves, they have both. Because the chances they'll do so on their own are too low to bet society on it.