Why did art and classical music stop in recent decades?

Most of the visual arts seem to have migrated from high quality drawings/paintings/sculptures to creating entertainment movies/TV shows/video games... and classical music has stopped too with most people migrating over to pop and shock music culture.

Opera houses play Wagner, Richard Strauss, Puccini, Mozart or Dvorak. Classical concerts typically end (as part of timelines) with Shostakovich in the 1950s - with any "modern" classic music post 1950s is flagged as such and is unbearable for the most part.

Is it just that opera is an outdated form of entertainment, that classical orchestra music is an outdated form of entertainment and that solo concertos on piano using classical music is an outdated form of music? Now that easier forms of entertainment (pop culture, video games, TV shows, movies) have come along, the plebs doesn't have to endure operas and classical music, so they just avoid them alltogether?

Attached: listing_excitedmozart.png (711x296, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SXiSVQZLje8
youtu.be/J1gH_cjdb60
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Judenthum_in_der_Musik
youtube.com/watch?v=ptVaqT47Xho
youtube.com/watch?v=hxDOSTtMxBA
youtube.com/watch?v=hwxNp-LzDYo
youtube.com/watch?v=tKmwR2jo0zw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bach is the boss user

I think most people these days are to stupid to know music is meant to be melodic not sounds of car accidents and trees being felled going doof doof doof all the time.

no more kings and popes to finance new artists

>Bach is the boss user
I have no beef with Bach. He was a genius. But I have to admit he was a bit autistic. If you listen to all Goldberg variations in a row, you can see only an autistic person could sit down to compose that.

>I think most people these days are to stupid to know music is meant to be melodic not sounds of car accidents and trees being felled going doof doof doof all the time.

Well, I am not telling people what music is meant to be and whether it is supposed to be melodic or not. And I admit openly that classical music and opera is way more strenuous to listen to than modern pop or watching some mainstream TV show.

The only thing I am wondering is why there is literally no one, as in NO ONE, who can create classical music or an opera on the same level of what could be created 100 or 200 years ago.

strenuous to listen to

as in not monotonous gruel that just repeats itself over and over again?
I think thats called musical progression which is what makes classical so stimulating to listen to. Its meant to make your brain work not shut it down

>there is literally no one, as in NO ONE, who can create classical music or an opera on the same level of what could be created 100 or 200 years ago.

but there is, you just don't know them, you expect to hear about it on MTV or something?

hey. I go to see orchestras regularly. If you think that they don't play Wagner, Beethoven, Mozart, Strauss, and all that outdated bullshit regularly (too much) then I'm 100% sure you don't actually go see orchestras perform very often. In fact, it's all they play- outdated boring irrelevant crap and they wonder why they can't even sell out the 6$ preshow tickets. I'll tell you, it's because all the old blue hairs who fund these establishments want to hear these old familiar works done over and over and over. The last time the BSO did a full season of modern(at the time) works, they told the director to never do that again, or be let go. The key is to make your way towards UNI which have music programs that are at the forefront, and to go to the student/teacher's concerts if you want to see new stuff. yea most of it will suck shit, but some of it is worth seeing.

>as in not monotonous gruel that just repeats itself over and over again?
Yes. Your brain is stimulated more by classical music and opera than by video related.

youtube.com/watch?v=SXiSVQZLje8

new mediums replacing the old.

but also kikes

>you expect to hear about it on MTV or something?

About 7yrs ago I started to go to the opera regularly, as in 2-3 times a month (I had been to opera as a kid and teenager and then very rarely for several years thereafter, but was then reintroduced by my gf, now wife). We must have seen anything that is out there, even modern operas and obscure old ones. We also go to classical music.

I tell you, opera stops with Richard Strauss and classical music with Schostakovitch. At least in my view. And I adore Strauss despite his pretty modern style.

>Why did art and classical music stop in recent decades?

It hasn't stopped. There's new classical music constantly.

I'm a professional classical musician and I just sold out one of my concerts a few weeks ago, felt good lad.

But yeah it's not as culturally relevent as it was in the 17th/18th/19th/20th centuries.

It's going to come back though. I've noticed a larger interest in classical music lately

In part, it seems to have to do with a general aversion to elitism and its supposed role in supporting traditional power structures. As far back as the 60s, there has been a growing academic movement to eliminate any division between high and low art and to elevate the study and consumption of pop culture. These people are now in charge in a lot of departments and their interests almost always seem to be ideological rather than aesthetic.

>they can't even sell out the 6$ preshow tickets.
6 dollars? Interesting, tickets are 50 to 200 euros for a classical concert ticket here. Opera is cheaper, but only because 90% of the opera costs are subsidized by the government here - which is why we go to the opera more often than classical concerts.

They play Bernstein's overture to Candide tomorrow and then Brahms' Haydn variations (but wanted to play Schoenberg before). I wouldn't consider Bernstein and Schoenberg as "outdated boring irrelevant crap" but ok, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Nice, can you link some youtube for us plebeans, so we can ear if modern classical music is jewish trash or if there is still hope?

Beethoven was helped by pastors, all the bug composers had their moneygivers
So it cant work today because people believe in free market where the only reason youd five someone money is with the expectation to get money back

Or maybe you should do that OP

Who do you play for, post some of your stuff buddy

Music and art arent wonders of creation anymore. Its become normalised and therefore, lost the sense of wonderment that would make someone go out and buy tickets for a classical music show or museum. Kind of like how tropical fruit was super expensive and now its dirt cheap.

Attached: 1496964210.glopossum_1376883659.aixarata_wruffdone.png (715x1000, 715K)

$?

Adorno's theories on culture industry make the most sense for the stagnation of style in popular culture. Basically the creation of art in the capitalist restraints has made it so the infrastructure, or (((they))), recreate forms that have been tried and tested. (((They))) will take any popular artist's content and force it down people's throats through radio and all media platforms, which means that there is diminishing innovation while artists rush to release more of the same thing with slight alterations.

The fact of the matter is that theater, orchestra and live art have lost to the availability or electronic media in appeal and economic potential. Theater, for the example, hardly makes any money if I remember correctly. In fact, many big actors say they do big shitty movies so they can participate in low paying theatrical plays. A stadium or theater can only sit so many people while a MP3 and video can be viewed by the entire world.

If you grew up in this generation, your entire life exposed to 2 minute songs and 90 minute movies the 3-4 hour orchestras and plays become an unappealing gesture.

Attached: horkheimer_adorno_habermas_by_shapiro_1964_wikipedia_commons.jpg (400x309, 21K)

Because Cosmopolitanism has taken over as the dominant ideology of our times (since roughly the 1960s).
Cosmopolitanism implies the destruction of all boundaries, both physical and moral. In the domain of art, this means effacing the boundary or distinction between what is beautiful and what is ugly.
Cosmopolitanism is relativistic and therefore opposes universals or at least denies things like "beauty" the status of universal.
This is why plastic arts have degenerated into conceptual "art" that in reality is (to use Henry de Lesquen's term) degenerate non-art. It is non-art because it deliberately goes against the accepted canons of beauty. Much of the historical degenerate art was actively trying not to find an alternative beauty but to undermine beauty itself. Contemporary conceptual art continues in this tradition by repudiating all notions of aesthetics in favour of shallow or meaningless ideas (sometimes literally meaningless: I've heard art critics admit not understanding the point of such and such an art piece, but since he was pozzed he simply went along with it hmmmmmm).
The same applies to music and architecture. On top of that you have to realise that our civilisation is collapsing and we have fewer and fewer talented individuals dedicating themselves to this art forms, and in the domain of architecture our civilisation is no longer rich enough to afford monumental structures (indeed we're barely capable of maintaining the existing ones).

no love for john williams?

> dumbing down
> you won't get it because you have been successfully dumbed down

tl dr it's over

jews

jews
they thrusted nigger music upon us
they fucked art with their dadaism shit

>no love for john williams?
I like his music, but it is film music. Film music is fine with me, but it just isn't played as part of classical concerts around here - because the music requires the film to go with it for the most part. Same for the whole Hans Zimmer production megacompany.

Some soundtracks are just as good as classical music

John Williams and whoever did Lord of the Rings come to mind

sorry i didn't mean to sound like a fucking asshole. I'm just really passionate about it, the state of affairs here is abhorrent. It's all controlled by these old people who complain if they don't hear their Brahms.

There's 80 dollar seats, 50 dollar seats, 13 dollar seats, and 6$ preshow. Only at concertos (Read: Prokofiev, Rachmoninov) do they sell out.

Anyway, Schoenberg is different, it's got a sort of timelessness to it, because the structure of the works is dependent on the structure of the style. In a lot, not all, of more modern works this is the case. I even love Music for 18, although that's more chamber.
Basically, anything after the SVS... - to me is not irrelevant. I really only meant that old tyme-y stuff. I'm not for or against subgenres of composition, each composer has their own flair, and new music is well, new. Most people go to the symphonies here, but what you'll mostly hear is old music... the anniversary programs of some of the symphonies here could have been played at their openings. It's cool you see a lot of opera, I never really vibed with it. It's beautiful and difficult to write, but eh... Show me some new works, i'm sick of puccini.

btw "classical" music is alive and well in the cinema scene.

>it just isn't played as part of classical concerts around here - because the music requires the film to go with it for the most part
youtu.be/J1gH_cjdb60

Music has become dumbed down. Just like the people who listen to it.

Very cool, good luck with your work. Keep the fire burning. I studied Comp in UNI and hold the tradition very dearly. Keep going. Hope to hear your stuff soon.

Half kidding: If I hear another person tell me their favorite composer is John Williams I'm going to punch a baby.

again, half kidding.

Attached: w8fo656l00q012.jpg (756x1200, 328K)

Jews unironically control pop culture and loads of normies just shift over to that because its easy to fit in when you're the same hip normie as everyone else

Attached: 1524480076168m.jpg (780x1024, 79K)

Wasted

Number 23.
>/Thread

>The only thing I am wondering is why there is literally no one, as in NO ONE, who can create classical music or an opera on the same level of what could be created 100 or 200 years ago.

There are but the jews won't let you hear it

also Jazz > Classical, but that's mostly Jew shite these days as well

Spot the subsidised kike.

the leet players of each instrument are spread over too much geography which impairs the ability or need for a strong composer base. also tastes have changed but not necessarily dumbed down

Jews , user. The answer is always the jews

Fag

Fuck man this is an interesting take on it. What about the ease of travel and technology these days, though? I mean, it's a little easier to get someone a copy of a score, or to have someone at the other end with access to performance/recording venues, right?

it reminds me of the architecture influencing the composer video, anyway pretty interesting post.

Classical orchestras are shit these days.

The intonation is crap, they are not tightly in time and they lack dynamic and expressive range.

They just don't play enough hours together as a group anymore and are all fucked up by shit food, fluoride and all the rest of the toxic shit in the world.

After reading this I know you'll disagree, but damn. I think music became self-aware and self-critical after Schoenberg...
Gonna take shit for this, since he wasn't a very good hardline composer but to me John Cage was at the peak, and ended it all for everyone, at least at the non technical, philosophical level.

World is devolving

It's because kids dominate the charts now with downloads. Their choices are what makes the top 10 - which is catchy, mindless shit about breakups, parties and relationships.

Pop music is gibberish, but it's 'catchy' so it appeals to the mindless masses.

you are an idiot. scores arent classics

Didn't Wagner write something about how the Jews infiltrated and destroyed classical music?

John Williams is a hack.

Because that music was for people who looked like this. Once powdered wigs and ridiculous suits come back into style so will the equally garish and absurd music and theatrics

Attached: b35b2c303b6e43b3c5a0040b2dd74b51.jpg (1275x1833, 148K)

Indeed but compared to (((Hans Zimmer))) he's fucking beethoven.

this

if they made new music they couldn't call it classical

Attached: natalia pepe.jpg (737x921, 82K)

They can. The best composers are contemporary.

I like John Williams. I also like Joe Hisaishi, Nobuo Uematsu and Jeremy Soule. So is right, classical music has merely evolved and is alive and well in cinema and other entertainment.

Is this supposed to mean something?

>Didn't Wagner write something about how the Jews infiltrated and destroyed classical music?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Judenthum_in_der_Musik

Yes, Wagner used the mainstream anti-semitism back then to sort of push his own musical agenda. I have to admit, his criticism of Mendelssohn is pretty baseless. His general criticism of Judaism in music is the sound of Hebrew (which really is a problem in music) - Wagner was also a nationalist and was part of the 1848/49 anti-royalist, pro-nationalism revolution schemes and so he was getting into Germanic nationalism and thus started to dislike any form of "Europeanism", as well as a dislike of Italian, French and Slavic culture. He wanted Germanic and "Norse" culture, language and music to dominate in German. Jewish composers, however, mixed all kinds of stories and music streams into their compositions and did not really endorse his views on music (which more and more went into Nordic/Norse mythology).

Or in other words, Wagner was very much a Jow Forums poster of his time. He raged against others, because he had an idealized view of a Germany for Germans - something that would never materialize. His anti-semitism was principally a way to express anti-Europeanism and anti-globalist views.

>if they made new music they couldn't call it classical
Why? This is how wiki defines classical music: "Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western culture, including both liturgical (religious) and secular music."

You don't have to be born in 1850 to compose classical music. You just need to adhere to the traditions of it.

>1848/49 anti-royalist,
Jews did this.

>The best composers are contemporary.
Then I am sure you can name contemporary composers with often played and well known opera works, symphonies etc.

When you say classical what do you mean?
the word has taken on a double meaning.
Classical is a time period of the 1700s, was before the romantic period, which ended about the time Shostakovitch was being born.

If you mean nice sounding piano stuff, some people still make it. The reason its not mainstream anymore though is because acting like a fool is mainstream and there is no room for classical stuff in that sort of life style.

I like some of this guys stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=ptVaqT47Xho

That’s a pretty good movie.

Thanks, but sounds like a very blue-pilled take on the matter.

it was a joke m8

youtube.com/watch?v=hxDOSTtMxBA

classical music like crazy frog

this, its a tradition. you study how music works, and you perpetuate and further it. It's a whole language and in western classical music, it has a lineage. You don't just study it for shit s and giggles, but because it has evolved from basic principles- themselves rooted in somewhat mystical behaviors of vibrating bodies. It's not totally understood why certain things exist, at the fundamental levels, but they do- and they all add up over time and through history to become part of the Western Classical realm.

You are generally looking for the elusive lyricless metal.
While they don’t qualify as metal as far as I know, I would recommend you listen to the liquid tension experiment.
I would fucking LOVE for some other anons to direct me towards some lyricless metal. I fuck8ng love metal, but the singers always fuck8ng destroy it.

fuck you boere

He's sort of right, though. Bach is wonderful. Maybe the GOAT.

>why arent there composers here today for opera

im just gonna assume it doesnt pay as much as specializing in current trending music genres so most people who even do have the talent and knack for classical probably opt to incorporate their work in more lucrative fields

I mean the general used definition of classical music. See pic related.

I am pretty sure if you look at the brain wave patterns of people listening to different styles of music, you will find similar patterns for classical pieces of music (regardless of when they were written) vs. non-classical pieces (pop, rock, folk, amelodic modern etc.).

If you want a more straight forward definition - you can use the type of musical instruments as a basis and then add to it the basic requirement for a melody that at least partially dominates the music without coming up as part of a "jingle" (a melody can be defined as a musical composition concerned with the arrangement of single notes to form a satisfying sequence, in which "satisfying sequence" means harmonics which are fixed tonals based on the "A", 440 vibrations per second on a violin).

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.48.07 AM.png (1218x228, 39K)

Absolute delusion. Broaden your horizons, boy.

thats the worst definition i've ever seen. what the fuck does "serious" mean?

> not realizing Queen, and Led Zeppelin made this type of shit

> not realizing Jethro Tull's "This as a Brick" is precisely what you're whining about

> not realizing that's what Scorcese does too

> not realizing "classical" music was always trendy sellout shit that was popular at the time and theres always been shit and good stuff

I wrote a four+ part acapella chorale based on the 23rd Psalm if it makes you feel any better, OP

There are 3 types of music in the world

1. Bach
2. Beethoven
3. Other

>Thanks, but sounds like a very blue-pilled take on the matter.
Well, I am sort of a Wagner fan, so I read into the whole anti-semitic issue and why Wagner was anti-semite as well as the general culture of the 19th century. Maybe I have a blue pilled view of it, but whatever, I always saw pre-Nazi anti-semitism of the 19th and early 20th century more of a drive towards nationalism than anything else. A bit like anti-French sentiment in the late 18th century and early 19th century in American states.

>I wrote a four+ part acapella chorale based on the 23rd Psalm if it makes you feel any better, OP

Does it conform to all the rules of species counterpoint?

They better have given you an A. I'm not being sarcastic, projects like those were always so... uninspiring. The 4 part fugue was the worst. I don't know how Bach did it so easily. seriously.

Bryce Dessner is making some pretty good compositions.

because they need good goys to consume
and party music gets goys in the mood to spend
>*plays Maluma*

Cant fault you for educating yourself, but it sounds like you are reading (((history))) instead of history.

From what I understand, Europe and even Russia in the mid-nineteenth century was chock full of Jewish anarchists and communists blowing shit up and assassinating people.

>thats the worst definition i've ever seen. what the fuck does "serious" mean?
Serious in the context of classical music means the notes you use are not reoccuring all the time, i.e. no baseline and no pop or folk "jingles". You could translate "serious" as "harder to follow".

But there is no definite definition. You may look at pic related for a taxonomic way of defining it, which is of course highly subjective.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.58.12 AM.png (1480x698, 231K)

understood, I tend to use that definition too. I just wasn't sure if you wanted the strict pattern thing or if you were fine with straying from the sonata cycle.

Its not mainstream but its still being made.
Was the video I linked to the kind of stuff you wanted more of?

>e brain wave patterns
Im sure you'll also find different lifestyle and intelligence patterns as well.

Some modern music still leads you down the rabbit hole to classical, I would never have found it if it was not for Annie Lennox and the Cure.

>"harder to follow".
Most Mozart is infantile bullshit on the level of nursery rhymes, harder to follow pigs arse.

Music is for hearing. That's one thing both Schoenberg and Cage forgot. It's like that definition of jazz: "When the guys on stage are having more fun than anyone else." To become "self-aware and self-critical," as you call it, is also to become self-indulgent. Mozart at least had to please the emperor; modern composers only have to please music professors.

Most Art and Music has always been shit, and will always be shit. We don't remember the pop music of the day. Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven were all well respected, but the average person liked beer hall baudy tunes, and drinking songs, with easy rhythm, Melody, and lyrics. Today's Gucci gang shit was yesterday's "I'm a Yankee doodle dandy". And there are great composers today, they're just trapped in a basement somewhere, working on music 20 hours a day. We won't know who they are until next century.. Unless it's Phillip Glass or something. Even regarding great players, like Glenn Gould, he is famous for playing centuries old music, not composing.. Don't worry, Eminem isn't what will be remembered.

>Most Mozart is infantile bullshit on the level of nursery rhymes, harder to follow pigs arse.

You are entitled to your opinion. For a long time, I also had some beef with Mozart, as he has written a lot of his work to "please" his audience. As such, he follows a periodic brain wave pattern stimulus method - his work is still genius if you hear it live. And yes, it is "harder to follow" than modern pop (or whatever they call it now) from the radio.

youtube.com/watch?v=hwxNp-LzDYo

I unironically think melodic d*bstep and certain trends within EDM will be seen as the Classical music of our era. They do actually take significant effort to compose and whatnot.

youtube.com/watch?v=tKmwR2jo0zw

>You could translate "serious" as "harder to follow".
This is one of those fatal misconceptions that leads to the death of music. Food for thought:
>Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. -- Frederic Chopin

No, it's white culture so they wanted it to die.

>(((Glenn Gould)))
Massively overrated jew hack.

It's harmonically simplistic, there is far more harmonic complexity and sophistication in lots of modern pop music.

Not hard to follow at all, the beach boys vocal harmonies are hard to follow.

Few reasons:
>classical arts don't pay, many potential artists don't have the means to pursue classical art
>academia is biased with everything classical, classical piece created today is automatically labeled "trying"

You really need to be passionate about it to be bothered fighting against those two aspects for the rest of your life with a serious risk of poverty.

Attached: 1518154735727.jpg (680x678, 59K)

Charles Ives syndrome. Overly contrived, self-aware and self-induldgent.

This is a really good point. I'd say though, that it might have been the inevitable step, that they took. After them, there's still room for music to communicate in the pure way, but someone had to do it. :>

Indeed, many of the producers in EDM are highly trained musicians with sophisticated harmonic concepts in their music.