Renewable Power City

How much longer until Solar, Hydro, and Wind Power become a Viable source of Energy, for our cities and home?

Attached: solar-wind city.jpg (770x400, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reneweconomy.com.au/s-a-to-host-australias-first-green-hydrogen-power-plant-89447/
geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/
thinkprogress.org/solar-wind-keep-getting-cheaper-33c38350fb95/
telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/24/general-electric-trial-worlds-largest-wind-turbines-uk/
stopthesethings.com/tag/wind-turbine-lifespan/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_thermal_energy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

When we submit to green fascism and dump fake kike money into big corporations so they can re-engineer the planet UN Agenda 2030 style as a precursor to transhumanism and the total destruction of life as we know it on a planetary scale.

battery storage is the limiting factor at this time, once that's taken care of then you can use any of those mentioned (plus geothermal) to gather energy from

Aren't wind turbine very noisy? If they were right next to your house wouldn't you constantly be hearing them going WUGHWUGHWUGHWUGHWUGHWUGH all fucking day and night?

when standing next to one you can hear the "whuh" but after 100' it can't be heard in a breeze.
people don't like the way they look

In that cartoon picture they are attached directly to people's fucking house.

what grinds my gear is the style of those liberal avocado injected s𐐬yb𐐬y ''educational'' video

it's like a toddler's book from early 90's

im so sorry the world isnt a playmobile set

I would probably say never.

>Solar

Very shitty at generating any real power output

>Hydro

This only works if live near a body of water with motion.

>Wind power

Also shitty at generating power, it won't work 24/7 and it kills a shitload of birds, decimating populations.

We need Nuclear power, that's the only clean energy source that has the output required of a growing population, otherwise with current fossil fuel consumption things are just going to get more expensive.

What About Geothermal?

Better than the rest, but still not enough. It has the same issues hydro plants do, they cannot be built just anywhere.

geo? sure you can drill anywhere but the issue is bedrock like over here that costs more drill through.

Basically nuclear or hydrogen are the only options, however, hydrogen is very VERY unstable and explosive so it has it's risks.

Never, not if the fossil fuel companies have anything to say about it

Can't they just bore giant holes and use the heat from the middle of the earth and make giant turbines or something? Is that a thing?

Attached: 21761607_1658162110882336_3272588777036165952_n.jpg (540x540, 37K)

Ah, gotcha, I was referring to the really big ones. There's one in toronto that i was able to see for myself.
There are savoinis type (vertical) that only the generator makes noise while spinning, img related

Attached: VWAT.jpg (2000x1500, 131K)

Precisely, cost and the amount of power generated is just not worth it, that's why it isn't a very popular choice to utilize.

that's exactly what geo-thermal power generation is.
Hawaii does it with their volcanoes since there's no need for drilling

This is another interesting point, geo thermal extraction is about how much heat you can gather in a single area.

For Hawaii with volcanoes this makes sense, but maybe not in say Montana.

wind power is fine if you want your country to look like this
fyi this a non solution, these things cost far more than they can actually generate and the government is planning on putting atleast 100k more of these in the country with costs probably up to 2 billion while most of our gas energy goes to france and germany who just store it. fucking kike infested government

Attached: B881021114Z.1_20180306151733_000+GE3RKM20.1-0.jpg (768x384, 23K)

Too bad that we're nuclear free

Depends on your locale. I have some senpaitachi who use geothermal for supplemental heating/cooling in their house. Going full electrical generation wouldn't have been cost-effective, but that particular configuration got them ROI within not too many years by saving substantially on heating and cooling costs.

The (((bergs))) say solar in 2040 last I heard

Yeah, but that's not commercially viable for consumer-grade power generation. We can't all stick 100' windmills in our backyards.

Nuclear is far and away the best long term option available to us (fusion could still happen, but if the problems ITER is having are any indication, it's still a long, LONG way off). The problem is you have an entire hippie movement built around opposition to all things nuclear that you've got to overcome to get anything done. The anti-nuclear power lobby in the West has broad support and deep pockets and they've succeeded in convincing a non-negligible percentage of the population that all power plants are Chernobyls waiting to happen. Christ, we still can't get the centralized waste storage facility in Yucca Mountain up and running because of opposition from these faggots and that's been all-but-finished for half a decade.

Tel that to Iceland faggot

The average African village has not need for electricity. Africa is more environmentally friendly than the entire Western world based on that fact alone. Nothing you can do is going to bring the average Westerners need for energy to a level below that of the average African.

All of this push for renewable energy is a waste as nuclear power is already the superior choice to keep the West operational. Solar panels so not work at night and need battery/capacitor banks to function and wind is highly unreliable. Hydro is a joke for those not living near enough to a river and Muh endangered species zealots.

Stop trying to guilt people into buying new shit because of your idiosyncrasies.

Attached: 09830947589783945.jpg (500x779, 108K)

Of course they try to sell it in presidential campaign to millennials like what Obama did.

If you drill a hole then you let the heat out and no heat left for power stupid

We are investing in Hydrogen as seen here

reneweconomy.com.au/s-a-to-host-australias-first-green-hydrogen-power-plant-89447/

But the way they're going about it, it's going to produce fuck all power

Iceland has volcanoes and magma chambers dumbass.

> green fascism
Would support unironically even if it hurts.

Has anyone of you gotten the smart washer dryer yet to monitor your energy consumption?

geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/

Really the bigger energy consumers are heating and vacuum cleaners.

>How much longer until Solar, Hydro, and Wind Power become a Viable source of Energy, for our cities and home?

At current rate? 250 years, and x17 times current world's economic deficit as renewable energy sources are expensive and barely getting cheaper every decade

The average african village fucks way too much and spawns more african villages who need to slash and burn forest for often inefficient agricultural exploits.

Only real answer is nuclear power

Why anyone would want a fridge with a built in Kuerig coffee piss machine is beyond me. Those things break after 6 months of use with hard water.

forgot the pic

Attached: connected-convenience.jpg (608x631, 40K)

>solar
>hydro
>wind
Those aren't how you spell Liquid-fluoride thorium reactor.

Attached: 1524607429987.jpg (1080x1080, 84K)

Look at Germoney.
With their green revolution they now have to destroy 800 years old towns for new coal mines so they can feed the coal power plants.
Green energy is extremely unreliable, expensive (germans spend shitload of taxpayer money on this garbage).
It needs enough backup power plants to to feed the system when no wind or sunshine available (again, germans use coal for this).
However, in summer sometimes suddenly too much green energy is generated, and the backup plants need a few hours to stop properly. During this hours the excess energy is pushed on the Czech and Polish grid, forcing them to lower their own power outputs (and waste money)...

I got cancer from Keurig. Very rare to get in your 20s. I know this caused it.

Ive heard windparks work rather reliable in central asia.

Hot water causes weak plastic to leech plasticizers.

My wife kept buying new ones every time ours broke we had about 3 kuerigs piled in the garage for a while. I told the bitch to stop buying the motherfuckers.

Never

Solar: Need to clean it, has lots of rare earth elements in them. Nobody will invest in this shit after a bunch of failures even with subsidies. It only is alive because of the subsidies. Probably also requires killing utilities to even manage its meager existence.

Hydro: It's fine if you want to essentially change landscape to block rivers with unintended consequence. That's not so crazy compared to of the "alternative" energy.

Wind: Feel good meme energy. The turbine doesn't have an output to cover fossil energy spent making the turbine. I guess can work as a Potemkin village type of "clean" energy.

All those alternative energy solutions don't believe in free market finding a solution. The result is shitty as usual with government mandated shit. I think if the problem really comes up, the solution will be found. It generally happens without government intervention.

You know bed bath and beyond had an unlimited return policy? Just buy your next coffee machine from there and keep the receipt. If it breaks, you can exchange it for another free of charge. I did it like 3 times for my Keurig back when I used it.

>The Bed Bath & Beyond return policy carries no time limit, which allows buyers to return a purchase at any time, with some exceptions. With a receipt, refunds are issued in the original form of payment, except for returns made with gift receipts, which are refunded with merchandise credit

wow didn't know that, I just bought a 9.99 coffee maker from china wally world and It has lasted 3 years without descalling it

Maybe within their 10-15 years lifespan

Though it would take some reading, look at the return on investment for the various energy sources and then take notes on what sources of energy you use in your own house and vehicles. Try to live without out heat for a few days during a cold winter or no AC for a few weeks during a hot summer.

Power to provide comfort has to come from somewhere. Wood heat is cheap where I live but that requires logging. (Yes I've done some.) Coal is good for electricity but very polluting.

Hydrogen sounds fun and if the distribution stations ever make their way to the east coast, I will try out a lease on a hydro car. Maybe just a test drive. Hydrogen cars are still rare and expensive. Toyota's Mirai is operating in California, I hear. Battery electric is also fun but you can't just go charge up everywhere. That limits them to around town cars which makes me wonder why I don't just buy a Honda Civic or some other equivalent grocery getter. What Tesla sells for 80,000 I could buy for less than 20,000 in a gasoline car and not have to worry about a long trip to the country. I might get a hybrid some day if I am ever swimming in money. I might use solar panels if I ever move to a sunny location in the middle of nowhere. I haven't even priced them but I'm sure they don't come cheap and they probably need replacement from time to time.

Humans won't just give up their comfort and if you actually try to do an Eco Fascist approach you are likely to bring back all the other elements of Fascism that you won't like at all. Force tends to encourage force.

Research safer nuclear power, hydrogen power, more efficient gasoline engines, what to do with coal (it is still in the ground and it will sitll be around long after humans are dead.)

Bump for ACTUAL green energy

Attached: LFTR.jpg (652x507, 52K)

yes yes, kill all the birds, cook them in the air
use huge wind propelled plates to remove the bats
yes yes, holocaust them all, no flying animal should survive

Not bad, make sure the water heating reservoir is metal. Plastic will leach. If it's from China, it has bpa probably.

So what's bad about Bio-diesel?

We will see, opposing them for the sake of it seems as irrational as believing that enough money makes them reliable in any country and situation.
Our country has not many places were they work as intended, flat plains eith strong and equal wind however seem to be a good place.
And even if you have to replace them every 15 years, isnt such a continous effort needed in most areas of civilised life including imfrastructure and fossile/nuclear energy sources?

the box said bpa free but who knows right?

Also I wonder what ever happened to Andrea Rossi and the E-CAT cold fusion reactors

Attached: ecat.png (397x335, 157K)

It's basically cooking oil. EU is forcing 4% bio-diesel in the fuel, problem is that oil rich plants remove all nutrition from the fields.

It was always amazing for me to think a scam artist like him could make so much money off his cold fusion device. (if it was a scam)

Attached: img_9670_w.630x360.jpg (630x420, 127K)

You think it's a limiting factor because we don't have the tech?

I mean here's an image.

Attached: Cold-fusion-calorimeter-nhe-diagram.png (730x856, 117K)

Can't they produce in greenhouses?

>How much longer until Solar, Hydro, and Wind Power become a Viable source of Energy, for our cities and home?
how about never because there will simply never be enough of it alone to efficiently meet current and future energy demands? the only realistic option is to derive power from a variety of sources, green and non-green. only retards and stupid idiots that politicize the issue believe it can be done 100% green

Green energy has really high variance of production. Some days your wind farm produces jack shit, other days it floods your entire grid with more power than all the coal plants put together. Same with solar, a really sunny day can put enormous amounts of energy on the grid that has to be used right then. Energy storage is how you would be able to smooth that all out. Battery tech is a red herring.

The solution is biodiesel. Excess green energy goes into running digesters. We store energy in something that burns clean in existing engine tech. It's politically blocked though.

As far as LIFTR and other non-fusion nuclear, that shit is not gonna happen. We already have fusion. Remember when the MiG-25 came out and it was Mach 3.5 or some shit, faster than the stated top speed of the SR-71?

> Its politically blocked
Care to explain why?

Would putting solar tiles on my roof really not provide enough power to cut back electrical bills even just during the summer? My hope was that enough of them could power at least my AC unit and nullify that expense. Idc about 1 time installing costs if it lasts 15-20 years

Building new renewables is now cheaper than just running old coal and nuclear plants.

thinkprogress.org/solar-wind-keep-getting-cheaper-33c38350fb95/

Attached: Sams_Club_3_feature.jpg (1600x989, 590K)

Plants need nutrition.
Energy plants need a lot of it.
Either from the natural soil or artificial fertilizer (which was made from oil...).

Bio-diesel and plasti-diesel have the potential to be carbon-neutral, clean up environmental waste, and work in existing engines with very little emissions. Have you ever smelled a biodiesel? The problem is that this would displace petrodiesel and other petroleum and coal products. Those lobbies are huge and employ a lot of people.

Thermoelectric generators inside evacuated glass tubes

Sure it will cut back electrical costs each month but you end up spending tons of money and won't make it back until after 10-15 years. By then your panels are 10-20% less efficient than when you purchased them. You also have to maintain them by going on your roof to clean them. If one gets busted from hail you replace the entire panel. Its a mess.

I don't oppose them entirely, but from an entirely rational perspective there's more reason to believe they're a useless byproduct of modern politics than a true reliable form of energy.

Pros:
Very little pollution without taking into account the infrastructure building process.

Politicians get the vote of people who want to feel green.

Problems:
Insanely expensive.

No efficient/green way to store excess energy those few times it does produce a good amount of energy.

Lifespan too short to justify the work it takes to build the infrastructure.

Fuck about from Algie? Last I hear they could make some sort of Algae fuel or something?

It would be a better use of human waste from water treatment plants than putting it on food crops, that's for sure.

>battery limited
Not for long. Industrial process for graphene production's been patented by MIT, it's now a matter of industry actually building it out and having things to use graphene for.

One of the biggest things graphene's going to change is battery tech.

Small ones like that are virtually silent. We have one at a nearby school here.

If it's making noise, it's losing energy to friction and breaking down faster. If they're well maintained they won't make much of any noise at all.

Some advocates of green energy can look further than their personal consciousness and see the effects pollution will have on future generations.

It's because half the population can't understand any of the shit they talk about without being talked down to like literal children.

They plant tons of rape here.
They say its sustainable by leaving the field rape-less for 4 years after the first harvest. Hope thats true then, as you mentioned with the coalpits we are not treating our soil good at all.
That would mean the dieselban brought forth by the greens might be actually doing something good as long as they will stay open towards that alternative one you meant. Our greens are leftist as fuck and incompetetent. Its sad that realist/conservative green movements never could take off in their place
Heard Bosch company hit the breaks and is now adcertising theyll sell emissionless diesel starting in 2020 due to that ban.

that seems extremely retarded. how much money did he make off of this?

If I pay $10k for a system now and save $25k in 20 years, isn't that worth it though?

I doubt you can save that much with a 10k system, but it sounds good to me.

>(((thinkprogress)))
According to your link, we've been using wind this whole time where gas could not be sourced because it's been cheaper than everything but natural gas.

Possibly. Depends if you are going to live in that house for a Long time. Though I did read an anecdote about a person who had solar tiles on my roof and is the only one with Electricity in his town. (Town was devastated by some natural disaster.) So that's a plus if that ever happens.

None of these fags realize energy is the #1 suppressed technology. Free energy, efficient solar energy, etc. Anything that could disrupt the current state of affairs has been black holed. This used to be common knowledge on here. Wonder what happened...

Attached: reddit thx.jpg (220x345, 46K)

>This only works if live near a body of water with motion.
Look into micro hydro power plants like those used small streams with very low head. Specifically, ones like "vortex/vertical" types (see pic). They go by a few names, but "Gravitational Vortex Power Plant" should get you results to further research for yourself.

Attached: gravitational_water_power.jpg (455x251, 19K)

Hydrogen is not a power source, it is a form of energy storage.

Solar is an energy source (sunlight)
Wind is an energy source (sunlight)
Nuclear is an energy source (radioactive material)

Hydrogen is chemically bound into all kinds of shit because any free hydrogen's escaped earth's atmosphere already. Which means you need to expend energy to get that hydrogen and the only instance where that's energy positive is with hydrocarbons ie oil and gas ie we already do this.

If a plant is just producing hydrogen from cracking seawater or whatever, well, you're being scammed. That's not a power plant. That's kind of like an oil refinery except instead of getting energy out, you're putting energy in to get a gas that's even harder to store and transport than gasoline/oil and which is even less energy dense.

Anyone who thinks hydrogen is worth shit is either getting fooled by scammers or is a scammer themselves.

Hell, even biochemical energy is on the horizon. Hijacking ATP synthase and chlorophyll and creating cellular motors will be released eventually, same with some of the work they're doing on supercapacitors.
Carbon nanotube batteries will revolutionize handheld electronics.

when will we be able to remove gas from our cars

that's the answer

big energy does not want you to do any of this

they are going to lobby and do whatever they can to prevent it. Until their energy source (money source) dries up. Then they will get behind renewable energy and the push will be really quick to adopt.

It's really that simple

yes, near a source of natural gas this is the cheapest way to generate power, in regions with good wind conditions wind wins and in sunny regions sun is king

Attached: siemens-wind-power-turbine-onshore-direct-drive-swt-3.0-101-struer-002.jpg (2886x1628, 3.51M)

This seems like a huge meme to me. If green and clean energy was better and more efficient, the people that are working right now in the gas industry would just switch and invest in the new one.

Those "green" methods of producing energy are really damaging to the environment, solar is the worst one the bunch too, not only does it require a vast amount of land area to produce any negligible amount of power, but also quickly get's damaged by overheating, and that's only tip of the iceberg.

We have to wait for that fusion crap to work out, or stick with nuclear, I heard thorium was pretty neat-o.

Well, our carbuilders start looking into electric ones now that the chinks invested massivly in it and have become a competition based on selling stuff we never entertained to build yet.
So the sleepyness of western monopoles being at fault seems kinda true.

Attached: 049.png (1024x768, 382K)

They already are. All the major oil companies have already rebranded themselves as "energy" companies now.

It's literally already happening. We're in the early days of transitioning to electric already. Honda, GM, and Volkswagon have heavily invested into it because Tesla proved there's market demand; it's now simply a matter of time. For the US it's also a national security concern. The less oil the US has to burn to function, the more autonomous the country can be using its own stores of oil/gas.

Nobody who actually needs electricity gives a fuck about the damage its production does to the environment.

Solar and wind can provide the needs to residential , light commercial and industrial.

Not cities, or heavy commercial or heavy industrial

we are installing the largest wind turbine in the world just up the road from where I live. it will power 16,000 homes in 2020. I bet it's going to look like complete shit though.

telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/04/24/general-electric-trial-worlds-largest-wind-turbines-uk/

stopthesethings.com/tag/wind-turbine-lifespan/
Theyll cut subsidies soon here and then we will see if what has been done with all that government money has created a base from which a few companys may make an efficient system for coastal/flat areas or if it all goes to waste.

The indonesians are looking into thorium no? Looked your country up and you seem to plan on picking up an old russia concept, seems to have been critisized a lot. Do you have strong tides in bangladesh?
I once saw some concept that promised to harvest tidal waves with underwater turbines but I never heard of it being put to practize.

Cookie cutter suburbs are not built to be energy efficient and will never be sustainable, yet we cannot stop building them

Photo Voltaic and Wind both rely on materials that are difficult and highly polluting to mine/refine limiting the amount that can be deployed per year and seriously weighing on the contention that their "clean". Never mind the lack of storage of and intermittency of generation.

Solar Thermal though might be the real deal, at least in terms of what we can do with current tech.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_thermal_energy

Large scale plants use mirror arrays to heat a tower that contains pipes, or directly heat pipes carrying some kind of heat transfer medium (oil/water/molten salt). The pipes are connected to a large heat reservoir (a massive chunk of concrete they run through) heating it. This reservoir can be used to heat another transfer medium that can be used to drive turbines as needed. A sufficiently large reservoir takes days/weeks to cool even without new input providing storage leagues beyond current battery tech for the price of a big fucking block of concrete. No other part of the system requires remotely rare materials either, more concrete, metal, and glass. Obviously like photo voltaic it works much better at low latitudes but the ability to continue working over multiple consecutive cloudy days greatly expands the range it can be viably deployed in. The ability to simply connect or disconnect turbines to ramp to demand is also a pretty big damn plus.

Test bed plants have provided large scale proof of concept already: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpah_Solar_Power_Facility

Still significantly more expensive than coal to build right now but design improvements are certainly possible and the lack of a need to mine/refine fuel, the lack of radioactive waste, and the minimal or no emissions (some designs require a kick start for the turbines) mean over time you recoup much if not all of that cost.

this
nice to see a fellow nuclear brother

Wind power = never
Solar power = never
Hydro = most hydro sources are already tapped.

Wind and solar will only be supplemental to the grid. If you're looking for a reliable energy source with low carbon footprint then it's nuclear power.