Is Art Deco the last truly great architectural style? Why did it go out of fashion?

Is Art Deco the last truly great architectural style? Why did it go out of fashion?

Attached: IMG_0465.jpg (427x640, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_Classicism#Notable_examples
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not enough architects have watched Batman TAS.

They hate beauty.

Attached: PoMo.jpg (3000x2058, 472K)

Because design is too hard for the new gens of architects. They prefer straight lines and also makes buildings cheaper.

Deco is modernist Jew trash

Looks like a virus is taking over that structure

deco is complete trash. last great style was art nouveau

Attached: 800px_COLOURBOX11379101.jpg (800x539, 128K)

literally looks like a corrupt 3D model clipping with that poor building

listen dickheads. If you want to know why buildings arent as great as they used to be, speak to your local government and developer.

They regularly pass buildings that look like cancer because they are cheap. I assure you it has nothing to do with architects.

We are employed by clients that want to maximise profit margins at any cost.

Architecture must be government subsidized to give beauty back to the people, because without any major development in building technology allowing architects to build with complexity, nothing will change.

Also you can blame builders and tradesmen that dont want anything to do with complex forms. They want the easiest job possible and freeze you out until their terms are met.

And yet, construction and material costs have decreased a lot since the "good old days" of architecture. The only costs that have increased are workforce and land. If architects would truly treasure their legacy, none of them should accept any projects that look like squares, boxes or 3D rendering errors.

*build with complexity at low cost*

In developed countries alot of the cost in not in materials but in everything else. Regulation, tradesmen, development time, adhering to code.

>just dont accept the project
They will just go to another architect that will do what they want. We are already not compensated adequately for the work done, and we need to eat. Turning away jobs cannot be done on a regular basis just because you dont like where the project is heading.

I think you will find stripped classicism is the greatest.

Attached: cret.jpg (4608x3072, 935K)

I was referring to architects as a whole profession. If every architect would turn down shit tier projects, shit tier projects will cease to exist eventually.

And yes, over-regulating has fucked up architecture but under-regulation is as bad. Here in my city, under-regulations fucked up the whole urban space (houses between apartment blocks, narrowing of sidewalks, single apartment blocks in residential areas, everything is exactly like what the communists built 30 years ago).

it sort of depends, some materials like wood are more expensive and some stone like sandstone, marble, basalt and ironstone are more expensive.

How is that different from brutalism (or vice versa)

Oh for sure. That would be amazing if all the firms in an area agreed to not build shitty projects. Something like that already exists at the government level in Australia, where a council must approve it but most of the time these people do not know about architectural basics and tectonics.

I think there is a fundamental lack in education about what effects and affects architecture has on the public.

>very pretty

Attached: 1526413224496.jpg (500x500, 33K)

Less expensive than 100+ years ago. But people prefer glass, steel and concrete and thats about it.

Looks like a practical place to live or have some offices.

Agreed. Lack of education really took down architecture. I have more knowledge about the subject and more design skill than an architecture student and I learned that stuff as a hobby and because i got extremely bored one summer when in college.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_Classicism#Notable_examples
Doesn't it?

The difference is in the root.

Stripped classicism starts with classical forms of Rom and Greece and then removes, shaves down, until just the essence remains, remove any more than that and you just have a box, a square, a plain form.

Any less design than stripped classicism, is no design at all, it is the simplest form.

Brutalism comes from the french word for concrete. The form is defined by the material chosen. The buildings are typically massive in form, even when not very large.

While I consider classicism a bit of a cop-out (simply emulating an older form), stripped classicism is a more modern take on those forms, still having beauty.

I appreciate some Brutalist forms, but much of it is rubbish.

Imagine a whole city centre, a forum, civic spaces, squares, all built in this form.