The Odyssey is sexist. Homer was a shitlord

The Odyssey is sexist. Homer was a shitlord
twitter.com/Channel4News/status/995659330581123072

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 12.15.03.png (1228x1410, 1006K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BXthvnZ8ghw
youtube.com/watch?v=PfG7xAM85DY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Greece
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ancient_Greek_women_rulers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everything is sexist everything is racist and you have to point it all out

she looks like a fucking lunatic

>when your reading comprehension level is shit

Yes she's a dumb cunt and the word slut triggered her. But her translation came out 3 years ago, why do I keep hearing about this now

>hundreds of years of translations
>SUDDENLY A WOMAN FINDS A CONSPIRACY!
Women are the tinfoils of gender.

Attached: 1526045630318.gif (500x382, 388K)

yes. and it's also our civilization's foundation myth.

How would anyone translate perfectly a foreign ancient book any other way(?) jeez.
There are so many concepts and metaphors inside it, it's quite hard.
What she's doing is cultural appropriation.

Attached: 1526027493937.png (1381x1080, 538K)

Because it takes an average of 3 years for feminists to digest a thought

She's defending Homer

>Homer was a shitlord
I'm ok with this

>civilization's foundational shitpost

Don‘t know whether I should be pissed that our society finances these self obsessed bitches or pleased because at least they read the classics.

While also murdering them. Okay, on second thought it is like somebody killed your parents and you are happy because at least the murderer ate them afterwards. Dumb whore.

Is she, though? The Greeks? The ones who believed women were just vessels for incubation and it was MEN who gave the gift of life?

>non examples
Why should i believe you ?

We respected women in ancient times.
Though, in those times, we also believed they had a family role.
Don't forget we created Democracy, the right to vote.

That belief is true though.

What actually happened here is that the sexist terms other translators used weren't sexist when they were translated. Sexism has changed, not the story.

>Sexism has changed, not the story.
This.

Attached: the mentality of the modern woman.jpg (662x1200, 179K)

You are a buffoon if you think that.

Socrates considered gender to be of no more intellectual consequence than whether one if bald or hirsute.

>Don't forget we created Democracy, the right to vote.

Worst mistake we ever made.

Yea, no.

Greek has barely any gender-neutral in it, pretty much anything that's not specifically female defaults to male.

Hebrew is pretty much the same deal, which is why you suddenly in the 21st century have a bunch of Protestant and even Catholic shitlords calling the Bible misogynist and translating everything into "gender neutral". That's literally all that's happening here, except with Homer.

can you actually read the classics just as they are, or do you have to read a translation in "newer" Greek?

>go to college
>learn
>get told by user I was wrong
k

>Don't forget we created Democracy
it's all your fault

If you believe people's votes count, you are a half wit.

Please be quiet goyim

Try Yale

youtube.com/watch?v=BXthvnZ8ghw

Hitler was elected democratically.
Don't forget that particular fact.

Modern Greek can translate it perfectly.
Not /that/ different, but, different enough to be considered another language.
I mean, 70% of words are just modified ancient words, so, i can pretty much read ancient, like most paying attention to School when was needed.

>Homer
>not Hitler
Weak

democracy is great
women with voting rights are not

Attached: 1522697159165.jpg (867x1000, 375K)

I'm so sick of you all.

> there isn't the words slut in Homer's writings
> instead it's ''women who slept with the suitors''
I bet that is the only change in the entire book, and she just copied a male translation.

>just watch my 45 minute randomly linked video for a thread that'll be up for 10 minutes

>first woman to X

wow, women really can be like other competent people, I had no idea! Thanks Channel 4 News!

I forgot learning is of no value to you.

To be fair, they were smart enough to limit it to landowning men.

Accurate.

Yes well WRONG, Greek grammar has 3 genders including m/f/neutral and it's used for things.

Ancient Greek is taught in Greek schools.

Take it easy it's just satire, sometimes.

>just ignore all your higher education for this (((youtube))) video

Accurate.
Hers Αυτής
His Αυτού

>letting women read

kek @ the paragraph about the raped maids.

We'll see who's joke turns out the funniest.

Mine involves nuclear weapons.

Ο, η , το

Could have just shortened the headline to "woman censors Odyssey"

Indeed fellow greekfag.

they left out a lot of stuff that was too lewd and yeah she's wrong about it being sexist. Anyway slut can mean slatternly and the translators 50 years ago and earlier could be using it in that sense, an older UKIP member got in trouble for using it to describe women who self confessed to not cleaning behind the firdge. Just a joke but the mobs are stupid. Translators probabyl feared the same outrage, they sometime leave clues you are meant to read more into this than just the word.

>I’ll push your shit in and fuck your face-
>Aurelius, you cocksucker; Furius, you little bitch--
>since you think that my little poems
>have gone soft and I must not be too upright!
>It’s true; the devoted poet should stand erect
>in his values, but not necessarily in his little
>poems, which are truly witty and charming
>when they're a little soft, and not too stiff,
>but can still cause a little tingling--
>I don't just mean for youth, but for hairy men
>who can't make their own loins stand upright!
>You! You read about my "many kisses"
>and doubt I'm fully a man?
>I’ll push your shit in and stuff your face.

Jow Forums is a board of peace, breh
Also WW3 begins this summer and ends in 2019.

You are pousterman

>respecting women
>creating democracy
Fuck that shit.

I believe it was for women wearing clothes from the laundry basket

Reminder-

Men only gave women the vote so that they could get prohibition passed.

At the time even the anti-drinking lobbies weren't really for women's rights to vote, they simply knew women would vote 70-80% for prohibition and made their deal with the devil.

At the time they also considered lowering the legal age for voting, but couldn't quite convince themselves that children of the age of 10 would vote against liquor.

>foundational myth
*a* myth is foundational but nobody follows the ionian pantheon anymore

kek this seems so.. literal as you described.

Not gay, a faggot i am though.

Well, your ancestors LOVED the Greek.
They followed so much of what we taught.

Socrates was also a contrarian to the max.

+
Ancestors yeah, though.. specifically, Founding fathers.

+
>John Adams would often use Greek words in his letters to Thomas Jefferson, who admired many aspects of the Ancient Greeks. He could read and speak the language fluently.

Was going to post it, I have experienced first hand:

>Me: Hey the XXX tank has a leak we should empty it and wield the crack
>Others: Or maybe just trash it and buy new one
>Woman: Neither wield or trash, to uneffective and costly we are gonna hold until a better idea
>Others: Agreed
>Wat? unfill it and wield it by myself
>I get shit from manager instead of the three fucks that deciced to do nothing because of a woman. Should have the let the shit run to dirt so company goes bankrupt with enviromental laws.

Nice edits there user.
Forgot this part, let me give it to you:
It is important to note that the play's central concepts of women in government and communism were not legitimate suggestions from Aristophanes, but rather an outlandish premise that aimed to criticize the Athenian government at the time.[4]

Stupid gay ass renaissance and enlightenment faggots we wuzzing about Greco -Roman bullshit was what doomed the West.

sluts all of them

It created the west.
Not doomed.

You should definitely go forward as to how politics were corrupted and how political propaganda became one of the most costly and mainstream things in today's society.
That's one way of being objective.

you gotta watch our for muslim translators, they want to control the narrative for the same reason this woman does

Attached: canadian-school.jpg (1184x888, 116K)

This has a basis, wow, never thought of it that way.
Smart.

He's talking shite, Greeks have never respected women. They used to have a special woman room that the women went in and they only got out under Saudi rules.

>Following Hipparchus' rejection by Harmodius, for whom he had unrequited feelings, Hipparchus invited Harmodius' young sister to be the kanephoros (to carry the ceremonial offering basket) at the Panathenaea festival, and then publicly chased her away on the pretext she was not a virgin, as required.
>This publicly shamed Harmodius' family; then he, with his lover Aristogeiton, resolved to assassinate both Hippias and Hipparchus and thus to overthrow the tyranny.[3]
>The assassination attempt succeeded and Hipparchus was killed in 514/3, but Hippias remained in power. The truly tyrannical (by today's standards) actions in the remaining years of his reign are typically attributed by contemporary scholars as paranoia and anger over the assassination.

Not strictly related but I love this one.
The one about Peisistratos and the arsefuck lynch mob is another gid ane from pre-democratic Athens.

I can smell the oxytocin deficiency from here.

No, doomed. Greco-Roman thought played out already once. There was no reason to revive them 1000 years later.

>Ancient times
>Can't draw the line of contrast

Subjective

>make inferior translation
>people complain
>blame it on earlier translators being sexists
Typical woman

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! THOSE FUCKING REPLIES.
WOMEN WERE A MISTAKE
WOMEN'S SUFFRAGE WAS A MISTAKE
BRITAIN WAS A MISTAKE
TURN THAT FUCKING ISLAND INTO A FUCKING ATLANTIS 2 ELECTRIC (BRIT)BONGALOO

OOOO IM CUMMING

Attached: 1523978466290.gif (404x416, 201K)

Gr**ks have no culture, you racist nazi inbred piece of shit. You stole everything from TURKISH BLACK KANGZ.

My sides have gone to Hade's underworld and back.

>So triggered

There were socities more 'respectful' of women right next to the Greeks, m80, and they got buggered by them.
Even by the standards of their time they were a conservative bunch.
Of all the places you could pretend, why pretend that the ancients respected women here?

You have to call a spade a spade and a slut a slut. And why is she opening her whore mouth on tv? why isn't she raising her children?

youtube.com/watch?v=PfG7xAM85DY

Attached: 1489605850918.jpg (3548x2811, 803K)

>Damn, Apostrophe goes after the "foreign" name.
>Oh well.

d’oh

Come on fellow faggot.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Greece
>According to Michael Scott, in his article "The Rise of Women in Ancient Greece" (History Today), "place of women" and their achievements in ancient Greece was best described by Thucidydes in this quotation: that The greatest glory [for women] is to be least talked about among men, whether in praise or blame.[4]

kek
you can tell she is lying just by looking at her

Christianity caused the fall of Rome.

+
>By the Hellenistic Period, some of the wealthiest Spartans were women.[16] They controlled their own properties, as well as the properties of male relatives, who were away with the army.[14]

Let's face it, you are cannon fauder who will leave no mark upon the world because you a second rate specimen of a man.

ze Achilles

Go back to your desert wasteland ahmed and stop trying to push your shitty bronze age mentality in here.

Why the hostility? It's a simple fact that the ancients didn't 'respect women', and what they would have called respect for women is so far detached from what the average meat animal thinks when he hears this phrase that using the two interchangeably causes more confusion than it solves.

>The greatest glory [for women] is to be least talked about among men, whether in praise or blame

That is not 'respecting women', that is what I call Saudi rules. Act like a demure matron and be treated like one, act like a whore and get gang raped. Simpel enohgu o untrestnad t.

>Hellenistic Sparta
>not a shithole used as an example by contemporaries of why women need to be kept out of state affairs

AND OF COURSE A BRITFAGGOT HAS TO PRAISE THAT SHIT.
YOU POOR IDIOTS SHOULD BE NUKED INTO OBLIVION
ENJOY OUR DYSTOPIC FUTURE WHERE EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE REWRITTEN AND PRE-APPROVED

what a bunch of lies, the homeric ep8c aas literally transmitted through oral traditions for about 400 years between the bronze dark age and 750BC when greek colonists finally borrowed the phoenician alphabet. There were historically speaking hundreds of variations of the greek epic, and I believe the earliest written copy we have is from 400BC, so yet again 350years gap. Also it was common as fuck for the performer to "include" his benefactor/client's family into small segments of story as part of the service. The iliad&odyssey are some of the most manipulated literary works in human history, to claim to know what the "original" said word for word is literally autism and fake as fuck since, as I said earlier, the oldest paper trail we have stops in 400BC and we know the epic was already around 950-850BC due to motifs on found geometric pottery historians dug up.

Finally,
>archaic/classical greece
>not sexist
does the bitch not know anything about the oikos? Wymyn were literally not just restricted to their homes, but specific rooms only. Look up gynaeceum, I am not making a single thing up.

I'm only a history student in my 3rd year, why do I know more than this old bag who's allegedly a professional?

Attached: 1526405707377.jpg (480x480, 16K)

I wouldn't buy her translation and I bet even Homer would rape her.

>Hitler was elected democratically.
>Don't forget that particular fact.
how is that fucking good?

>Dr Wilson also discovered that the original text never explicitly states the gender of King Agamemnon or Prince Deiphobus, so she chose to represent them as genderfluid.

whoah

Hostility? No, i'm quite chill.
>That is not 'respecting women', that is what I call Saudi rules. Act like a demure matron and be treated like one, act like a whore and get gang raped. Simpel enohgu o untrestnad t.
You seem to be "following" a "different line" for logical conclusions.

>an example by contemporaries of why women need to be kept out of state affairs
Yeah, you seem to not be able to draw the line of contrast also.
Though,
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ancient_Greek_women_rulers

Did i say it was good?
>Focus.

wow, they fucking nailed it then

Too bad that gender is going to be a thing for another 1 500 years. Not that it is anything more then a fictional word now.

>1500 years
Is evolution that fast?
Plus, the possibility it would choose that course, that's insane - based on probability.

Takes one to know one fatass.

>comparing your movement to lysistrata's
top fucking kek, I honestly love wikipedia. It helps expose all the retards who quote shit they dont understand and hope you dont understand either.

I have already completely my life's works. I'm waiting to die.

completed that should be*