Is there a chance of another language replacing the ubiquity of English anytime soon?

Attached: Screenshot (18).png (768x470, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/pidgin
youtube.com/watch?v=VYC5pDjIhsg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mandarin or Russian by the way things are going

Yes, Pidgin.
bbc.com/pidgin

French was the universal language one century ago, now is spoken only by a bunch of african countries.
The same will happen to English

That's actually a good point to bring up. If you watch old movies from the 50s most of the signs were in French outside of USA, Britain etc. I believe at some point the whole of Europe spoke French as the common language

During the XIX century until the WWII the common language spoken by the politicians in the international summits and by European chancelleries was french. I remember that during the Paris Peace Conference after WWI we sent two politicians who spoke bad French and for this they were disadvantaged during the peace negotiations

France also still had colonies at one point.

Right now I don't see any language replacing English unless we create some UN language or china takes over the world.

French is still very common in diplomatic relations and international law.

Since I did the British school system when I was in school (IGCSE) I was forced to take French as part of the prerequisite. I wanted to commit sudoku because I found it so difficult since English doesn't have genders or very different past participles (inb4 le 56%).

I know a lot of European languages are still very traditional and my German friend said that to him, English is like simplified German

I don't think Mandarin can threaten it because, and I've only been told this as I don't speak Mandarin, it's easier to parse bad English than bad Mandarin.
English is one of the more forgiving languages in that regard.

Chinese or mandarin will most likely rise in popularity as the language could become a big advantage for commerce. Though the big roadblocks are china isolating their online communities and that these languages in general is completely different from non Asian languages.

Is it? On the news I feel every country's foreign policy now is "fuck you I'm speaking my own language". I've only ever seen Merkel speak German, the Chinese foreign policy speak Mandarin, Putin speaking Russian, Phillipe speaking French etc.

If Mandarin ever wants to become a lingua franca, they need to do some serious updating on the written part, unless they force everyone to write all their 3000-4000 daily use characters everyday
youtube.com/watch?v=VYC5pDjIhsg

English is a French pidgin.

My parents studied only French at school, I studied both but French for only three years.
Grammatically I agree that English is the international language, because it is the middle ground between Romance and Germanic languages but I despise the fact that it is imposed on the world by American hegemony. At least the French had a culture

Do you consider English easy to read/write? And by the way didn't the French do the same thing as the English in ensuring their language was spoken worldwide?

It will not be Mandarin. While European countries try to push their languages externally, the Chinese have no desire having foreigners speak Chinese. If anything non-Chinese speaking Mandarin comes across as extremely bizarre - almost as if you encountered a talking dog.

It's strange that Japanese is infinitely harder to speak and maybe write yet there are a lot of foreigners who speak it, presumably because they have a love for Japanese culture or live there willingly

Attached: tsrVpEo.png (880x561, 40K)

>not leveraging knowledge to create functionally illiterate underclass.

baguettes and mimes doesn't count as culture. Then again I hate when people say this shit. France is a shithole now and no one mentions it

Arabic.

Euros, Murricans, Slavs, Muds and Wetbacks are far too dumb to ever learn Mandarin.

The Sino-Korean-Japanese ruling class of the future will talk in a different language than the unwashed peasants in the factories, favelas and inner city ghettos.

Attached: 1341664330111.jpg (501x585, 141K)

Sometimes I feel like that was the intention of Chinese characters, create a writing system so complicated only the elite could master it to keep the population in line from rebelling over the dynasty or something

Attached: ning.jpg (600x228, 27K)

Nearly right.

In the West/Arabia expansive empires were teaching their language to the new subjects. But in East Asia that was too complicated so they invented a written system, the written symbols are the same for everyone but the spoken words have not changed. Min and Mandarin speakers can read the same newspapers but they cant talk to each other.

Since Chinese characters are not 100% sound (only hints), if you know the character you know the meaning but often the sound hint is completely different or non existent. That's why I think Chinese characters are only useful for Mandarin. The minute you try and use them with other languages it becomes a mess like Japanese or old Vietnamese

Attached: 2000px-Tu_thuan_Viet_+_Tu_Han_Viet.svg.png (2000x1200, 241K)

sound of a voice with a stuffy nose
>KEK

Attached: FF9A5E3A-24E8-4E16-9646-956448F1B08F.jpg (220x220, 19K)

Japanese is really simple, in some certain ways, to learn how to casually speak. Like if you learned it in an organic way just being around it and adapting.

What a (((coincidence))) they have a word for it.

Attached: 1526911051197.jpg (220x220, 19K)

>生 Readings
Goon: しょう (shō, Jōyō)←しやう (syau, historical)
Kan’on: せい (sei, Jōyō)
Tōon: さん (san)
Kun: いきる (ikiru, 生きる, Jōyō); いかす (ikasu, 生かす, Jōyō); いける (ikeru, 生ける, Jōyō); うむ (umu, 生む, Jōyō); うまれる (umareru, 生まれる, Jōyō); うまれる (umareru, 生れる); うまれ (umare, 生れ); おう (ou, 生う, Jōyō); はえる (haeru, 生える, Jōyō); はやす (hayasu, 生やす, Jōyō); き (ki, 生, Jōyō); なま (nama, 生, Jōyō); なる (naru, 生る); なす (nasu, 生す); むす (musu, 生す)
Nanori: あさ (asa); い (i); いき (iki); いく (iku); いけ (ike); うぶ (ubu); うまい (umai); え (e); おい (oi); ぎゅう (gyū); くるみ (kurumi); ごせ (gose); さ (sa); じょ (jo); すぎ (sugi); そ (so); そう (sō); ちる (chiru); なば (naba); にう (niu); にゅう (nyū); ふ (fu); み (mi); もう (mō); よい (yoi); りゅう (ryū)

Um try again sweetie

Attached: Screenshot (19).png (1620x898, 228K)

>using kanji readings out of context
Nice way of showing you have no idea what you're talking about.

English will be widely spoken in Muslim countries along with Britain officially converted into Islamic.
Mandarin will be adopted in Australia and New Zealand.
French will be in a further decline in Canada as the country is transform itself into an Islamic territory.
Nobody cares what Amerimutts speak, probably Spanish.

Always good for a laugh

Attached: Be_Frog.jpg (840x2610, 539K)

Talking is easy, reading/writing is not. I was forced to learn it the hard way. Jump into the cold water and in 6 months you speak at least on a decent level...if not then you need to GTFO.