Could we possibly start learning how to terraform planets by first terraforming our own deserts?

Could we possibly start learning how to terraform planets by first terraforming our own deserts?

Attached: australian-desert-map-16-little-sandy-is-one-of-the-ten-desserts-in-australia.jpg (471x330, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2xcZS7arcgk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_shadow
theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/01/elephants-rhinos-australia-wild-grass
abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/02/02/3420810.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Needs an inland sea. Enviroment be damned

That's what I was thinking. Pump seawater to Lake Eyre, transplant fish and aquatic plants, irrigate the desert by digging artificial rivers. Build dams, work on thickening the Ozone so you roos stop getting skin cancer, seed rain clouds, etc

Not a bad question, but I think /sci/ is a more apropriate board.
Also, we are already trying to train people for Martian habitation by having them live far out in deserts.
A Jow Forums stance would be something like; white ethnostate in the outback yeaaaaah! 1488! no thots, just babymaking fleshlights! NO BLACKS and everyone gets a Recrecreational McNuke WHOOOOOO

Attached: 1516155929209.jpg (512x512, 48K)

There's a group of conservationists who believe that releasing rhinoceroses and/or elephants into Australia would go a long way in restoring Oz to pre-human forest cover and shrublands.

Well, smaller animals tend to eat the growing shoots of trees

how would that work?

If terraforming includes exterminating niggers it could be a topic for Jow Forums

Interesting, do you have any source?

how can you just leave something like that here and then just leave?
badburger

Terraforming the Sonora Desert would be really nice.

Greening the Desert
youtube.com/watch?v=2xcZS7arcgk

I'm all for it, I think we should desalinize water and sequester it in the deserts.

>greening a desert that acts as a buffer between the generally sane and liberal west
No.
Wouldn't more herbavores create more problems? They already have a huge problem with feral camels and other large herbavores eating what little plant life there is.
Greening the Australian deserts could bring unprecidented (sp?) economic and industrial growth to the country, and if it can be well-irrigated, it could make Australia partially self sufficient. Man made structures could also be built to block arid winds and also generate energy through solar and wind plants.

As ludicrously expensive as that would be, we can do literally all of that.

Lower the sea level.

Wouldn't the Abos complain about this ?

It would be very expensive, more than the Australian government can afford, let alone the BoM and ABARES. It will have to be done by an NGO working alongside the government. Maybe Musk could look into it as a study on terraformation of, say, Mars.

Who the fuck cares what petrol-huffing abos think? The desert is partially their fault anyway.

Need to learn how to speak their language first.

We already are. Desert greenification is very real.

Hows this?

Attached: maxresdefault_(5)[1].jpg (1247x1160, 145K)

There will be desserts on terrafformmed planets. It's called an eco system. Star trek ain't real

>dessert
There would probably be cake and shit on other planets once we get there.

Since terraforming usually involves changing the composition of the atmosphere and such, it would be hard to do on just one part of this or any other planet.

Some planets you need genetically modified trees to terraform. Mars is good because its atmosphere is carbon dioxide. So we dont need to engineer a special plant life. But other planets have other gasses in their atmospheres. So youll need to engineer special plants that feed off of those specific gasses. And you need to purify the gas. Change the gas. Like how our trees change carbon dioxide into oxygen. You can make a plant that turns oxygen into something else. You could kill a planet by putting certain life forms on it. Like invasive species. Its not really killing its just changing. From one system to another.

Unfortunately, planting trees on Mars won't work because there's no magnetosphere. If we could find a way to restart Mars' natural magnetosphere or create one artificially, then we can get to work on getting an oxygen atmosphere without solar wind blowing it away immediately.

Why hasn't this been done
fucking niggers think they can terraform mars yet haven't done shit on earth

There's small-scale desert greening projects, none so large as what I suggest. It's also very expensive, as I say here

We need Cheap graphene membrane nuclear powered desalination plants across the coast, piping water to the inner country for atleast a few thousand years, until nutrients are restored to Australia's ancient soil. Maybe next gen fertilisers, could help. It's not a water problem but a soil problem.

>Why hasn't this been done
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_shadow

The great dividing range blocks the jet stream that makes eastern Australia lush. Pic related.

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_370px-Rainshadow_copy.jpg (370x209, 13K)

Could govt-sanctioned organic material composting and spreading help, instead of a centuries-long process of desalinization? Aussies throw out an estimated $8M of food a year.

To make interior a habitable place "naturally" youd have to cut the top off of that entire mountain range or wait a few million years. The same condition was west of the Appalachian mountains which eroded and now the Midwest is one of the lost fertile places.

A good place to put the rock is to make a land bridge to NZ. Itd be like a few hundred years long project

>dig artificial rivers
>create salty sea

You know that freshwater is different from saltwater right

The real question is why Denmark doesn't incentivize settlement of southwestern Greenland. Southwestern Greenland's habitable zone. The habitable zone is 2-3 times the size of mainland Denmark and in winter the average temperature gets to around 15 degrees on average compared to a 30 degree average in Denmark (both Fahrenheit of course, do the conversions yourself) and 50 degrees in summertime in Godthab compared to 60 degrees in Copenhagen so it's not like it's monumentally shittier than the average Scandiland-type temperature.

Just get 100-500k Danes/Faroese to settle there for the lebensraum and make Denmark big again. Also Iceland should be Danish or at least a monarchy.

What's in it for me?

MDBA
I like it

The major part of terraforming a place like Mars would be crashing millions of square kilometres of comets into it to get enough water to have oceans.

Oceans will mean nothing without an atmosphere kept in place by a magnetosphere

>plant mangroves around artificial sea
>turbulence and precipitation downwind
>desert blooms
Agricultural irrigation does the same thing.

That sounds like magic to me

Gadaffi turned part of the most inhospitable desert on earth by tapping into primary water....
The US didnt like it so they bombed the fuck out of his plant.

Composting and soil renewal are two very different things.
And if you're just going to compost, there's absolutely no reason to be trucking it out into 45-50 degree desert, better to just grow it vertically near urban centres, reduce costs, improve productivity.

Terraforming planets will never be a thing, Terraforming deserts on any meaningful or impactful scale will never be a thing. The next 50-100 years is going to be a bloody scramble to secure what arable land we have left, Africa is going to be divied up among the super powers and it's people purged, the rest of us will be living and working in state run Chinese factories.

The upside is that when Italy leaves the EU they'll need lebensraum and oil to survive, and Libya is right there.

Of course they will. After all, they are the natural custodians of the natural beauty of Australia.

Attached: 1523534729548.jpg (962x642, 374K)

Would take hundreds of thousands of not millions of years to blow off the atmosphere created from comet bombardment. .

Meanwhile a lack of an ozone layer due to no magnetosphere means every martian who steps outside is fried and subjected to skin cancer.

Lets cut the crap
Is it possible to enviro-form a desert or some such arid land, and if so, how?

Imagine the strategic value of greenland

Build solar/nuclear plants in desert
Build desalinisation station on shore
Use energy from desert to power desalinisation station and some system that would pump water into desert and make artificial lake. Maybe even make artificial rivers and then making hydropower plants on them.

Attached: Zagreb_Night.jpg (2048x934, 283K)

fuck what a beautiful city

Not really.

This.

Tell me how long it takes for the sun to strip an atmosphere.

We can't do it because then that would put the realization in you that we cannot do that on """"mars"""" which does not exist.

I don't know, but I don't imagine it would take very long, given the proximity of Mars to the Sun.
I'm not an Astronomer, I'm studying meteorology.

thas my land ya white dog

Attached: missinglink.jpg (366x328, 57K)

Hey, user, hold up! I think you dropped your hat!

Attached: 8a1d42fc-d944-4fa7-887d-3ff24b9826d5.png (433x402, 236K)

Dune covered this. Just plant shit in the desserts and run moisture farms long enough that the natural ecosystem evolves into something wetter. Frenen had to do it in secret so it took a few centuries, but we could get that shit done in like 50 years.

Looks like a rotted plum dropped on asphalt doing 60 down the freeway.

Ah shit thanks user. I-I think you forgot yours at my place, too.

Attached: 13a84a788ee8a5af673400fcfbbf8b17.png (1100x1100, 1.36M)

race is a social construct you bigot

Attached: abo.jpg (500x374, 60K)

>by first terraforming our own deserts?
terrible idea
we've already perfected the technology and methodology
waste of time and money better spent terraforming other planets
this planet is doomed
why would you want to live here anymore, user?
what's your (((agenda))), user?

Attached: 1506751441482.jpg (540x960, 84K)

It would take a very long time.

it mostly has to do with wildfire control and using massive herbivores as a means to crush smaller vegetation that prevents trees from growing. i study environmental science and one of my favorite profs is really into this stuff.
theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/01/elephants-rhinos-australia-wild-grass
abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/02/02/3420810.htm

Mars actually has bubbles of magnetosphere in certain locations.

Yeah its pretty chill city. Probably better life quality then some western cities ive been too. Also safe as fuck.

Attached: croatia_zagreb_night-city.jpg (800x450, 190K)

That's what China's been doing for 30-40 years now. They planted trillions of trees in the deserts.

Attached: 1501582440448.jpg (283x178, 26K)

He's right. Trees create rain.

I recall reading somewhere that the Outback is mostly below sea level. How does water not find it's way inland naturally?

That would require Australia to have some initiative towards nation building. That's pretty much off the table. The last big thing they did was the Snowy River Hydroelectic project in the 50s. Now they can't conceive of doing anything other than selling ore straight out of the ground.

Solar wind stripping is only relevant on the scale of thousands of years. We'll deal with that later.

There's already an ocean's worth of ice on mars, just below the dust (so it seems anyway, this may change).