Let us talk steel

I work in a industry leading company in Canada.
We build everything from bridges to mickey mouse retail stores in regards to structural steel.

Thing is Trumps steel tariffs have almost zero effect on us, his tariffs do not include anything over 80mm thick, most HSS is built within Canada, and most plate can be built from our mills easily.

In one city alone we have TWO full scale steel mills that are only operating at less than 45%, one of them is owned by the worlds largest steel provider in the world that makes over 51% of the worlds steel.

My question is, what the fuck is Trump thinking with these tariffs? What's the agenda?

Attached: bluesteel.jpg (500x264, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steel.org/news/2018/05/economic-impact-study
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's a Jew. What did you expect?

I was going to seriously reply to this but then noticed you have a memeflag.

to stop the flow of chinese steel stamped "made in canada"

Please britbong who raped the scotts of their ship building to dust tell me. Why the fuck are you so dumb when I declared my nationality?

If it doesn't affect you, why are you talking about it?

Because people lie.

>lets talk politics
Sorry Jow Forums is for e-celeb and cuck spam

He wants to stop pic related and buy votes in the rust belt.

Attached: graph-0913-2-02.gif (600x497, 40K)

>Doesn't seem to understand that the US has stepped back production to give OP a job in the name of "diplomacy".
Yeah.. let us know when the US can no longer produce steel then I'll give a fuck about current production rates.

I will let you in a little secret.

A company in Ontario used to get large shipments of rolled steel from the world via the St Lawrence, and then it was shipped into the US where US steel makers would then shape it into specific forms, i beams, plate, HSS, etc.

Goes to show how the US fucked it self up.

But tariffs won't change anything. Raw iron is not abundant in the US.

I just want to know what the end goal is.

Stop you cunts on selling Chinese steel into the American market obviously.

The US barely makes steel from raw carbon and iron, those days are over. You can't just pop up steel mills. You'd end up like China. By time Trump has served a term or two it won't be sustainable.

China only exports a small portion of their steel. You know this right?

If they do it's from the best facilities only. Most of the shit steel stays within their border or goes to Eastern Europe via rail, which is far cheaper to do than take the place of shitty electronics americans are obsessed over.

Canada doesn't produce much steel unless you compare them to the UK. In 2017 Canada produced 13.7 million metric tons of steel. In 2017 the US produced 81.6 million metric tons. For those of you in Canada who obviously failed basic mathematics, 81.6 is larger than 13.7. You then go on to say the US doesn't have an abundant source of raw iron.. and while the US may not have as much as Canada, they're producing the same amount of iron ore. If you also include pig iron in your calculations, Canada falls behind.
If you're going to make shit up, at least try to make it believable.

Ok, I have to ask because it gets brought up literally every thread. IS China actually sneaking their steel into the US through Canada? I mean, it seems exactly like the kind of thing they would do, but nobody ever posts any evidence to support it.

You are deluded then

Yeahp they are flooding the entire planet with their subsidised steel and have been doing so for years now.

It's difficult to estimate because it's not as straight forward as this ignorant OP tries to make it out to be. I suspect they aren't in the steel business at all - 85-90% confident. What happens isn't as they described in a post above where it's shipped to Toronto then is put on a truck to the US. What happens is Canada purchases unfinished steel. Canada processes it, then sells it to others. Because of this, it can be difficult to get accurate estimates on how much transshipping happens.

Trump’s objective is to get the Canadian government to act as a subsidiary of China Inc., which I think it’s a worthy goal that will even benefit ordinary Canadians. Free trade is bulshit economics created by Jews to fuck up white people.

>one of them is owned by the worlds largest steel provider in the world that makes over 51% of the worlds steel
Oh hey, I found another lie. To be honest, I stopped reading before this previously. The world's largest steel producer (Arcelor) doesn't put out 10% of the steel production in the world... so..

American welder/fabricator/plant maint guy here. Our steel mills are dying thanks to cheap chinesium flooding the market. When I use the word 'Chinesium' in passing to a metalworker I've never met before he always knows exactly what I mean, unless he's inexperienced. Whether or not Trump's plan will actually bring back the steel mills is up to the tea leaf reading fart smelling pseudoscientists who call themselves economists. But if it works, it will mean a lot of jobs and a lot of money for working class people. Not just at the steel mills themselves, but also many other interconnected industries.

Corr: Stop Canadian government working on behalf of China.

steel.org/news/2018/05/economic-impact-study

>gib trade Bruce!
noice.

So steelbros itt, whats the best alloy for bullet deflecting body armor? light and hard, is there anything better than just ceramics and kevlar?

>Alloy
>deflect bullect

ahahaahahahah