Phalanx formation

If protesters went to protest with a phalanx formation and some shields and long spikes (they do not need to be pointy-dangerous) would be invincible, way more advancing on the streets with some side support. Why anybody does it?

Attached: phalanx-syntagma.jpg (800x413, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oHAl85RbS5w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_square
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Individual rage, and teamwork are insoluble.

*blocks your path*

Attached: There+are+always+better+options+_366ac96fdfedaedd87c460f21057f0ba.jpg (863x413, 237K)

>256 grenade multi-kill achievement

Because then this isn't a protest anymore, but an armed riot and you'd get dispersed with vehicles and worst: Guns.

ugly as sin, but id buy one desu

It is extremely difficult to move in phalanx formation and requires hundreds of hours spent in drilling and learning military discipline

Protesters on the other hand are dumb chimps

It demands a ton of training

but people can organize, it would be really cool seeing police handling this haha

Let me red pill you on phalanxes.
>highly trained soldiers
>Phalanx has to be perfect with no gap or it breaks apart
>very immobile i.e. cannot turn well and easily attacked from side and back
Essentially it would only works if you can have highly trained guys who stay in formation and you guys magically never get attacked from a side street or the back

Because of the insane amount of training and coordination required to pull that off. One small problem could easily cause the entire formation to crumble into chaos.

Bad idea.

>Full length rifle with a side sling

*ruins your path*

Attached: molotov-cocktail-thailand.jpg (969x646, 410K)

Reenactorfag here: No it isn't. All you do is march and fight in file instead of rank, meaning you follow directly behind the guy in front of you and drape your pokey over his shoulder. Shields overlap left to right to form the big flexible shock absorber of fuck. You can learn in five minutes; the rest is practice.

The real reason not to take pokeys to a protest is because the cops will arrest/shoot/taze you for bringing weapons. A disciplined shield wall, on the other hand, could turn any city street into Cannae in about one minute.

*teargases u*

Just have phalanxes angled 45 degrees at the sides. Or better yet extend the phalanx so that it covers a whole street, using the buildings to cover flanks. Do you even phalanx bro?

Attached: 1510514082715.jpg (1150x1266, 134K)

A crude, almost circular Phalanx is entirely possible.

Funny part : the phalanx were defeated by the roman manipulas

Guess what is the formation that inspires every riot police in the first world ?

A schiltron ? Can't move

>Reenactors
I will literally never understand this autistic hobby, but I'm glad you spergs exist.

>Roll suppression grenades under their feet
>Phalanx defeated
Brilliant tactic in ancient days but all too vulnerable now.

that shit takes a ton of training and then they'd just get flanked from side streets and Calvary charge int the rear you nigger

You'd be fucked versus police, but against other protestors (disorderly mob) you could probably rout them pretty easily.

>that shit takes a ton of training
No... no it doesn't. It is not fundamentally different from what the Vikings and the Saxons and the Carolingians did. If it's user-friendly enough for Dark Ages dirt farmers, it's user-friendly enough for you.

The is something you have to keep in mind, they often bring the lowest of the low to protests, often unable to follow proper orders or even march properly. You do bring an important topic though, I'm sure it would be easy to dox protesters.
Don't forget reenactors often are sightly above the average, which is a huge, huge gap, because not many are able to understand how stupid and mediocre the average is, or in other words, don't be surprised that D&D players have higher IQ than a bunch of rappers.

You're a fucking moron. Maneuvering a phalanx vs not being able to maneuver a phalanx is why Alexander the Great ran train on every army he encountered, all of which new the formation if not outright employed Greek mercs who fought in a phalanx. You don't just walk forward fucking neanderthal. Any kind of basic formation requires more drilling than smelly anarchists will ever do.

You actually think the left are organized enough to do this?

Attached: 1504643408196.jpg (718x654, 87K)

A regular shield wall does the trick way better, it's more agile, can react quicker to any changes in the situation

Just look at some videos where six or eight police officers hold a street against one or two hundred rioters using a shield wall. A roman formation is way better than a static greek-like one

Because of tear gar you nigger dyke

Because that fighting style is outdated. I've been to a few protests, and they can easily throw some tear gas to fuck you up. If you all have gas masks, they'll just charge you in with better equipment. I've seen police squads do some really crazy shit. I've seen a bunch of people trying some fancy shit like in the OP, so they took out the bike police. These fucks would charge at full speed into their crowd, jump off at the last second and use their momentum to swing their bike into the crown, the protesters front row would get decimated and then they had the foot soldiers just run them down and arrest them. Honestly, the best way to fight an organized para-military organisation isn't to out-organize them, as they will always win, but to fight smart: guerrilla warfare can't lose if done properly and if you have the numbers.

>playing in an empty field with my friends
>facing an angry mob that is shouting, blaring noisemakers, throwing rocks, piss, shit, mud, smoke grenades and aggressively provoking and attacking you
Don't be dense. Your goodtimes LARP sessions are not the same as dedicated hours spent drilling and training to steel yourself against actually coming into contact with enraged crowds who hate you. By your logic laser tag teams would make the best soldiers.

>implying s 0 y boys could lift a shield and spear

They didn't have tear gas back then

it would be illegal for george washington to touch that thing, since he smoked cannabis sometimes.

in present day America, not even George Washington would be allowed to touch that gun without breaking the law...

LET THAT SINK IN YOU FUCKING KIKES.

phalanx is nothing like shield wall. you crazy

Attached: loki.jpg (740x394, 63K)

We wouldn't be able to get our hands on riot shields though. A broom stick and trash can lid are something anyone can get. But don't mind me I'm biased toward phalanxes.

youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=oHAl85RbS5w

I mean, it looks cool

Gee yes, you've really got to wonder why the protesters never try ancient greek tactics

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1460x913, 405K)

A riot has to be dispersed, not just held back, a phalanx is completely useless and way more effective for its manoeuvrability which is required in a riot. Moreover a phalanx needs time to be put in place, that's why it could be used in a battlefield since you had time for preparation, a shield wall on the other hand is more adapted for emergency situations and quicker to be put in motion

Have you ever seen many rioters succeeding in passing through a well organized shield wall ? Neither do I

Why would you want to riot ? No reasons to do that

>Why would you want to hurt lefttists?
Catharsis?

Attached: 1431974950992.png (1330x1080, 821K)

>literally all it would take is for 1 cop to toss a toxic smoke nade

Attached: 1395125203297.png (362x492, 97K)

I'm glad you think your reenactment hobby has anything to do with reality. If someone in front of you is knocked down by a rock, or tear gas, or taser, I am sure you and your fellow LARPers will be able to maintain the line and keep marching on.

In a narrow street. Under constant pressure.

The only currency that can buy Freedom is blood. It's always been that way.

With the flanks covered its impenetrable

Americans are shorter than they used to be

then you need protection against projectiles and gas, good luck with that

yeah the meta has changed a lot since alexander the great. who knew.

Not gonna lie.
Would wear one.

apparently not a lot of guys here

>If someone in front of you is knocked down by a rock, or tear gas, or taser
Then they get pulled back, do you think protest medics are a new concept?

When the police get genuinely afraid they break out their actual methods like the LRAD. One crank of the dial and every single person in that phalanx walking towards that truck is going to have bleeding ears and a neverending migraine. Which is why without guns you are helpless.

Attached: download.jpg (312x161, 8K)

The main reason they beat the greeks were superior commanders and logistics, they also only fought on uneven ground, which, you guessed it, do not fall into the catagory of "street"

turns out the idiots waging these protests are protesting for individualism and other marxist bullshit. Individualism doesnt go very far at all when teamwork is needed.
Protip: muskets are nothing more, and nothing less, than .50cal slug-rifles. What it loses in reload time and having to pour powder it makes up in pure fucking devastation. If you are at ground level and had a squad of say 6 guys with those fucking things a single volley would take out atleast 25 commies.

The maniple is superior in many ways, but there's no denying the power amplification of a phalanx on a troupe of people with office jobs.
There's a reason the pikemen came back (without shields usually), and it's that a line of pokey sticks is cheaper and easier to produce than the mounted equivalent of a legionnaire.
And we wouldn't be fighting legionnaires. We'd be fighting helots.

It'd be pretty funny to see a bunch of faggots trying this and getting blasted with water cannons.

>mfw we will have scooter/bike jousting in our lifetime

Attached: 1431841580297.gif (350x261, 966K)

1 molotov

Phalanxes weren't highly trained at all that's why the Greeks loved it. Greeks didn't have professional armies they were almost all conscripted farmers of various age groups.

Naw, classic furniture or nothing.

Attached: S213.jpg (768x146, 576K)

>memeflag
oops i was prankin

Yeah, with the flanks covered

This guy forgot guns do exist, and also water canons, gas, rubber bullets... Stop faping on being a sarissophoros

The Persians best then 95% of the battles against the Greeks with 50/50 archer to melee combo.

t. retard

i guess the rioters could hire some German auxiliary calvary to protect the flanks

this, people on this thread are retarded larpers

Autocorrect. Should say Persians beat the Greeks in 95% of battles

that is the idea, and seeing police handling that

police sort of do this and that's why they generally take out protesting chumps.

Dude, bike police is fucking scary. I used to laugh at them, but they are fucking monsters. Two of them managed to make a breach into 30 commies making a wall, and then the foot police arrested 200 (or so) of them. It was fucking glorious.

teargas

>Why don't people form complex pike formations to protest in the streets?

Like I don't know if this question deserves an answer.

Attached: 1521992051898.jpg (400x400, 23K)

what is tear gas?

The right could do it, to attack a lefty protest lol

A ww2 us Army squad. With one Thompson, would scatter them svhitless.

hahahaha

If you're gonna risk your life and freedom don't halfass it with wacky shit like this. Guns, utility trucks, and molotovs my dudes.

just use a gewalthaufen
>get pikes
>some double handed swords
>charge like madmen
worked for us

Attached: schweizerschlacht.jpg (540x361, 116K)

Bikes are like horses on steroids and bike police like to drive the part too

Of course they'll use guns.
I'm talking about people we would be "protesting" against: lefties, kikes, etc.
If you think there are more politically cucked policemen than there are conservative policemen you'd be mistaken. Even in France surely, the Gendarme is ruthless.

>not opting for the Trojan horse

It's illegal to kill people. If someone were be stupid enough to get close and get stabbed, you'd be charged with manslaughter at the very least

Also walking around with weapons is illegal in a lot of countries/states.

One tear gas canister or water cannon and entire formation is in shambles. Even slowly advancing armored vehicle would break up your autistic formation.

Attached: 868686.jpg (1024x817, 410K)

We don't use this tactic against police. We use it to BTFO libtards epic style.

Killdozer is best protest method.

No ancient civilization until the Romans had professional armies.

Also Greeks did not use phalanxes until after Macedonian hegemony. Also Greek infrantry are the most highly trained in ancient times, far better than their Persian counterpart. Also hoplites and phalangitai require a lot of intensive training to master, which is why only upper class citizens were enrolled in them, as only they had the time and leisure to undergo said training. Also you are a retard

>We use it to BTFO libtards epic style
>BTFO libtards epic style

Get a hold of yourself you douche

Okay, how about a bet? I'll name a battle where the Greeks beat the Persians and you name 20 when the Persians won

you mean 2 cohorts of antifa on fixies

If there were such armed clashes in the streets I do not believe American police would bother with rubber bullets.

>gewalthaufen
what is it?

Attached: cart.jpg (364x363, 28K)

>100 fat magapedes in pepeshirts form a phalanx
I hope someone streams that

Fine.

The major advantage protestors have over police is that those protestors can get the fuck out of dodge when they need to and fall back into the city. The major disadvantage the police have is that they can't outright murder everyone... unless it's warranted.

So, you would have to organize a formation that when broken would leave the front ranks in an absolute shit show of a situation where they can't retreat. Likewise, since you can't actually murder your opponents without getting murdered in kind, you wouldn't have any real effectiveness in what you're doing.

You would simply be able to be difficult to remove, but you would also have a ton of people get arrested when the formation breaks and the ensuing shitstorm leaves tons of people trampled in the street.

Attached: sneezers.jpg (480x480, 14K)

are you SURE you wan't to make that bet? You know Persia didn't conquer Lydia, All the Ionian cities, Macedon and 3/4 of the rest of the Hellenes by just asking them, right? Persians were beating the Greeks for a couple of generations before the first battle at Marathon where the Greeks ambushed them landing on the beach.

You only really know of the battle of Marathon, Plateau and Salamis because this is what Greek chronologists wrote about. They won those battles so that's what they turned into plays etc

Attached: 992px-Map_Greco-Persian_Wars-en.svg.png (992x793, 716K)

Luckily the places where riots typically happen are the middle of city cores where there's narrow streets that prevent your phalanx from being easily flanked

And everyone uses the cohort-maniple system anyways, it's more robust than a phalanx, you see police doing this all the time

>to BTFO libtards epic style

Attached: 1481386307756.png (505x405, 388K)

a pike square but not used defensively but offensively. it literally means pile of violence

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_square

>Charles did not believe that a force even twice his size on foot without archers could possibly pose him any threat. However, Charles and his forces found the pike square impossible to penetrate on horseback and dangerous to approach on foot. When threatened the square could point all of the pikes at the enemy forces and merely move inexorably toward its target. All these considerations aside, the primary strength of the Swiss pike formation lay in its famous charge, a headlong rush against the enemy with leveled pikes and a coordinated battle cry.

Good idea

Assyrians and Persians both had professional armies. And Greeks were using phalanx before the Macedonians as were all the Near Eastern civilizations. The Sumerians had phalanx formations they depict it in their own artwork

One canister of tear gas breaks up that entire formation.

Attached: tearsinacan.jpg (300x300, 45K)

With chai grenades and great war chants like:
"Ave Che"
"For Her"
and the eternally graceful "mommy" with a concerned fake grin