Georgism General

Georgism, also called geoism and single tax (archaic), is an economic philosophy holding that, while people should own the value they produce themselves, economic value derived from land (including natural resources and natural opportunities) should belong equally to all members of society.

>youtube.com/watch?v=a-QFUoCJK-w

>youtube.com/watch?v=3wpmtwDPEFw

>rationalwiki.org/wiki/Georgism

Attached: 435px-FREE_TRADE_FREE_LAND_FREE_MEN_(Georgist_campaign_button).svg.png (435x439, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=thOyk_FrvMQ
econtalk.org/archives/2018/05/glen_weyl_on_ra.html
wealthandwant.com/docs/unindexed/FordH_1942.htm
books.google.dk/books?id=QFEoAAAAMAAJ&q="Helen Keller's statement"&redir_esc=y
web.archive.org/web/20131004212820if_/http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org/russell-bertrand_admiration-for-henry-george-1960.jpg
kinginstitute.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/documentsentry/where_do_we_go_from_here_delivered_at_the_11th_annual_sclc_convention
youtube.com/watch?v=LFlAA9prYAY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffersonian_democracy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did you know that the precursor to monopoly, ''the landlords game'' was made to illustrate the teachings of Georgism?

Attached: 220px-Lizzie_Magie.jpg (220x147, 16K)

Attached: DMycdLuVQAAZLd6.jpg (1092x1200, 114K)

Attached: einsteingeorgism.png (600x394, 147K)

youtube.com/watch?v=thOyk_FrvMQ

econtalk.org/archives/2018/05/glen_weyl_on_ra.html

“Place one hundred men on an island from which there is no escape, and whether you make one of these men the absolute owner of the other ninety-nine, or the absolute owner of the soil of the island, will make no difference either to him or to them.” - Henry George

Attached: progressandpoverty.jpg (348x499, 56K)

Attached: Georgism vs everything else.jpg (585x439, 74K)

>Henry Ford endorses Henry George:
wealthandwant.com/docs/unindexed/FordH_1942.htm

Helen Keller endorses Henry George:
>books.google.dk/books?id=QFEoAAAAMAAJ&q="Helen Keller's statement"&redir_esc=y

Bertrand Russell endorses Henry George:
>web.archive.org/web/20131004212820if_/http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org/russell-bertrand_admiration-for-henry-george-1960.jpg

Martin Luther King Jr. endorses Henry George:
>kinginstitute.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/documentsentry/where_do_we_go_from_here_delivered_at_the_11th_annual_sclc_convention

Not surprised pol doesn't care about econ

Good thread OP. I'm going to read up. On the surface it seems like natsoc lite.

I suppose you could say it lives up to some ideals of the natsoc life without falling on the near mentally disabled line

bump

What is georgism and how is it different from Jeffersonian Democracy?

Attached: best pres.jpg (1200x1431, 262K)

youtube.com/watch?v=LFlAA9prYAY

I don't know much about Jeffersonian Democracy. But I'm sure that if you were to read about Georgism you would quickly learn the difference

Also how can you accomplish a georgist society?
And does this ideology favor agrarianism?

>Jeffersonian Democracy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffersonian_democracy

>Also how can you accomplish a georgist society?
Mostly through government reform. Goergism doesn't require a violent revolution to happen. Although the elites would definitely try to stop it

>And does this ideology favor agrarianism?
I don't think it favors either rural or urban areas but say a farmer was not farming his land, he would still have to pay taxes on his land thus becoming a burden which would incentivize him to either farm or sell his land

What are the policies in this government reform?

Thanks for creating this thread user. A simple tax on land values is the rightful way forward. More people need to learn about this.

Attached: 1523596000266.png (764x1025, 72K)

From what OP presented, Georgism seems to want to penalize the possession of land "for the people," so it sounds like it's totally at odds with Jefferson's glorious agrarianism.

>rationalwiki
>mfw

I don't understand Georgism at all. How you'd calculate exactly what is and what isn't economic value derived from natural resources is beyond me. Are sales of gold watches taxable? Wooden desks?

Attached: 15549490623062360.gif (398x200, 2.3M)

Interesting philosophy, am I understanding it correctly that all land is federally owned?

I don't know that it goes that far, but it does seem like there's a whole lot in the hands of the government - thus it's garbage.

Huh, I always thought georgist care for agrarian society.