Self-driving autonomous vehicles, evolution or job killers?

I work for Wal-Mart Logistics USA and I am sometimes privy to inside information. For example I knew many years ago that the forklifts and other heavy machinery inside Wal-Mart warehouses were going to switch from lead-acid batteries to hydrogen power in order to go green.
I'm asking today if the savings of self driving vehicles are worth the amount of jobs they will displace?
Think about long haul truckers, mail carriers, UPS and Fedex drivers, pizza delivery and all the rest.

Attached: walmart-advanced-vehicle-experience-with-trailer-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nxVYKcVUhDk
youtube.com/watch?v=hthyTh_fopo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Third option: Never gonna happen.

I'm thinking the first family one of these pieces of shit rolls over will nip this in the bud for at least a decade.

nice digits

They are almost there in theory, but even the ones they plan on using need to have a person on board... which really defeats the purpose.

can happen when corporations are desperate enough to make profits.

stop buying shit from walmart you plebs. buy local and help grow your community

Being that person would be an insane job. Basically bored out of your mind but you'll be responsible if you don't catch the split second decision that needs to be made to avoid an accident? Fuck that.

I'M TRACY MORGAN.

The technology is mostly there for self-driving vehicles, but it could take decades and decades before anyone gets the okay to use them. By nature, they WILL cause a fuckton of accidents, whether or not its their fault.

I buy from Amazon.

Attached: 1341868102077.jpg (215x276, 10K)

Trucks will get hacked, people wont. Safe. Tech doesnt work yet

Just think of bumper-to-bumper merges due to accidents. These things won't be able to calculate how big an asshole the person next to them is.

Politicians will never allow trucks to be automated. Truck drivers unions would demand legislation requiring there to be a licenced driver monitoring the vehicle

a big factor to consider is the type and pay rate of the new job(s) as a result of this transition
the official job loss might not be that bad but instead of having a certified trucker there will just be some guy making $10-12 to maintain custody of the vehicle and watching things during emergencies

It is both a technological evolution and a job killer. Driving semi's is one of the biggest jobs in the US, and I'm sure it's the same in any country with a decent economy

self-driving semis are a meme, ain't happening anytime soon

Fuck the unions. I'd demand it. Unless every single car is automated and communicating with each other, these things will be too unsafe. People are too unpredictable for AI to deal with. I can see a motherfucker driving like an asshole and know to give him a wide berth far better than any sensor.

KEK, they will always be suicide trap,

AI doesnt work well for situations it has never seen before (extrapolation) and it will never work out for cars
youtube.com/watch?v=nxVYKcVUhDk

I think the only way self-driving semis will ever be feasible is if we get a president who's hellbent on high-tech railways.

FINALLY you made a new song

automation won't cost many jobs, people will be in the vehicles for years. the lost jobs will be more about the extended hours those vehicles can travel, now instead of roughly 40 hours a week they can drive, they'll be able to be on the road for double that easily.
but the real future is when every car is automated. so a single computer can give commands to all the vehicles in a "district". which would allow AI to work great if not near perfect(because of hacks and the such)
also right now tons of new truckers are forgien and alot of the old truckers hate it, so expect automation, even the unions won't push hard because it should allow more natives to stay in control.

Evolution. Truck drivers are fucking retards, and it's already shown most of the driving schools run by pajeets hand those licenses out to their pajeet friends like candy when they shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

that is a very good and underrated point sir

The evolution will come in the form of world wide pneumatic tubing systems.

Attached: article.jpg (420x235, 111K)

pneumatic trains would be pretty sweet. not gonna lie

There are literally tens of thousands of automobile accidents every single day WITH PEOPLE DRIVING.

>Third option: Never gonna happen.

Keep dreaming. Although adoption will not be as rapid as some people seem to think, and I'm sure for the first decade or two employees will still be onboard. Somebody still needs to fill the fucking things up at the pump, for example. Trucking companies may just switch from 2 man crews to 1.

I guess it's probably far easier for me, not working in this industry, to say. But I doubt it's going to be an overnight change and it's not going to all of the sudden leave a bunch of people out of work. As with any other period in time and disruptive technology, it will slowly kill some jobs but create new ones, people will get new training, new skills, new education and adapt. Luddites have always screeched about technology replacing jobs, and yet here with more jobs and people employed than ever at any time in history.

At least with those the culprit is also part of the accident and is held personally responsible.

We going full maximum overdrive soon!!!

wrong, it's coming via drones

I work for DOT, and AI driving cars will be the pioneer for such things, but there are plans in the works for Node Controlled Roadways.
Basic concept is simple, every vehicle has to have a receiver installed in their vehicle. They will file a quick driving plan, similar to a flight plan, such as where they want to go, what time they wish to get there (as simple as getting in your vehicle, entering GPS or address with time and hitting submit).
Once the plan is filed, the local receiving controllers will then process the data and guide the car alongside the others.
This will allow cars to travel at very high speeds mere inches from one another, and eliminate traffic jams.
This of course is many years away, but it is what will happen.

And then a roadside plastic bag flies up and covers an essential sensor, causing a 10 truck pileup.

Redundant sensors are a thing you know?

Who goes to jail when an automatic car murders someone?
youtube.com/watch?v=hthyTh_fopo

In that specific case in the video, Uber for some reason disabled the safety systems on the car.

so is Uber going to jail?

software always starts fucking up or gets hacked problem is when automated cars and trucks are at fault in fatal crashes the car companies and software companies will be bankrupted with lawsuits.

No. Despite Uber disabling the system and the driver/supervisor watching Hulu during the incident. The biker was illegally crossing.

If a plastic bag was to disable a sensor, then we would be more worried about atmospheric attenuation and weather.
In all truthfulness, the hobbyist drone community is making the technological breakthroughs we need now, so the R&D is all there for this to be completed.
The hardest part will be getting each state to build the roadway nodes.

Not only that, with receiver sharing capabilities via bluetooth, vehicles will be able to interconnect into a hive minded traffic pattern.
The studies have shown that more people in the future generations would rather have the free time to text, read or even sleep. There are many who do moderate -long commutes in many of the larger cities. This will placate to them the most.

Both. But who cares?
New jobs will be created and those who can't adapt will become bums. Who cares about worthless bums?

so there's no consequences in the future? Companies can kill anyone with impunity?
>muh illegal crossing
that shit doesn't matter any time a pedestrian is injured by a human being, regardless of circumstance the driver faces a penalty

Fun fact: There are more truck drivers than Muslims in America, but we need to accommodate Muslims at all costs.

That depends on the state and their pedestrian laws.

Mud, dust, heavy snow, heavy rain shower, construction on roads, asshole drivers running red lights, slick roads, height restrictions, etc. How do you account for this? What do you do when a AI truck plows through traffic on accident and kills a few people?

What if local is the same city as wal Mart hq

or you accept your roll as “the fall guy” and don’t pretend you’re paying attention

>Basically bored out of your mind but you'll be responsible if you don't catch the split second decision that needs to be made to avoid an accident?
you mean like a regular truck driver?

Electronic sensors are actually better at detecting objects in adverse conditions than eyeballs once they have the pattern recognition learned. It takes some time and controlled trial runs but these days you have learning algorithms to compensate for this.

Hydrogen is not clean. Hydrogen is a meme. Hydrogen takes more energy to produce than it provides. This is why hydrogen vehicles are not being produced en masse and never will be.

Attached: 1granary_rca_royal_college_of_art_nan_li2.jpg (500x354, 45K)

>I work for Wal-Mart Logistics USA

Tell your drivers to stop being cunts and let other truckers merge when a lane is ending. Show a little class, for Christ's sake.

Otherwise, fuck 'em. Hope a robot does take their job.

Attached: 1366338114444.jpg (480x480, 28K)

All these are easily defeated with proper computing/reporting power. Also, alongside the receiver in the vehicle, a Control Module will also send data concerning the status of the vehicle. Such as, TPM data, speed, angle of attack, weight, weight transference, acceleration rate, brake pad temperatures, etc...
Also, many of your scenarios, such as "asshole drivers" will be ruled out since they will have zero control of their vehicle due in part that there will be no controls in the vehicle itself.

Pretty much the end goal is to simply replace all drivers. You can't have asshole drivers if there are no drivers.

So it knows the speed and when to stop at a red light when there is ice on the road that causes it to slide across a intersection?

need racewar first

Pretty much. This is something you can calculate by compensating for the coefficient of friction of ice.

I can only see this happen on toll roads the same way triple pups and double 48s are allowed.

No way an entire fleet goes 100% driverless on open interstates and city streets and assume the insane liability of leaving everything to sensors and cameras.

Attached: 1474397523958.jpg (640x598, 38K)

>mail carriers, UPS and Fedex drivers

these cant be autonomous because you need a driver to see the car in your driveway and then not attempt to deliver the package.

modern high-end cars have adaptive traction control already, detecting loss of traction is trivial with onboard computers.

>All these are easily defeated with proper computing/reporting power.
>easily defeated
>easily

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, do you, tech hobbyist?

Attached: 1286608657521.jpg (213x257, 35K)

Automation is a disruptive technology, it destroys some jobs and creates others.
It will create more jobs than it destroys.

>Mud, dust, heavy snow, heavy rain shower, construction on roads, asshole drivers running red lights, slick roads, height restrictions, etc. How do you account for this?

You do realize all those things impair human drivers as well, right?

I don't think the technology is anywhere close to this point yet, and think people like Musk are being reckless trying to push it on the public before it's ready. But in theory autonomous cars have the potential to be far more consistent and safe than human drivers. Computers can react much faster than humans (although of course you're still going to be limited by physics and stopping distance). Sensors can see in infrared and other wavelengths that human eyes can't, allowing them to see in the dark and potentially avoid threats earlier than a human driver ever could. Redundant sensors can be installed, including in blind spots and other areas where drivers would not be able to see. Computers don't get fatigued, they don't get drunk, etc. The list goes on and on.

Again, the technology isn't anywhere close to this point currently. But self driving cars are going to happen eventually, and it's going to be for the better.

>Self-driving autonomous vehicles, evolution or killers?
Fixed it for you.

Attached: Full Auto.jpg (1200x891, 181K)

I admit there are a lot of areas that haven't been firmly established, but we have some of the greatest minds from MITRE, MIT, RIT and Cornell working on these issues.
The fact of the matter remains, that traveling in a vehicle is the most unsafe form of travel in the world, and anything we can do as a society to move forward will help preserve the lives of countless innocent victims.
Also, regarding your pointed interrogative, I will be the first to divulge that I am not the smartest person in this field, but that doesn't mean I can't attain the knowledge I need to fulfill my civic duties.
Also, something hard for you might be easy for someone else. Everyone has their levels of task saturation and brainpower they are able to contend with internally.

Then theres these delusional fucks.

Diver-less vehicles exist.They're not going away. Yes if you drive for a living you will eventually lose your job. If you do ANYTHING for a living, a machine can do it faster, safer and better (and will).

It'll be slow. It'll start out as safety concerns, the machines will simply "assist the worker", which is how every implementation of "advancement" in the workplace happens. My personal opinion is the first place it'll actually be illegal for a human being to drive is somewhere in Europe

Truck driver here, I'm looking forward to automation. I really doubt they'll suddenly allow completely autonomous unmanned vehicles out into the public at first. It will start out with smaller shit, like the feds installing the necessary communication and navigation nodes along interstates and allowing the truck to drive itself on interstates only under driver supervision and the driver resumes control once they leave the interstate onto local roads/highways. That just means my job gets even easier. By the time they get to full autonomy that doesn't require a driver at all I'll be ready to retire

Good, now jagoff truck drivers won't be doing 5 under in the passing lane anymore.

Aren't we also running into truck driver shortages due to age and lack of newcomers? At this rate, we'll have to automate.

I'd imagine it'd be a pretty comfy job if truck drivers can have autonomy on the highway. Just shitposting on Jow Forums with your mounted laptop as you let the computer do the majority f the work.

The first thing to be automated would be dropping trailers on loading bays, because it all happens on private land and Joe Public is not at risk. Automation wouldn't do it any quicker, but it would save paying wages to the guys who shunt trailers all day.

It would be years after that before road haulage is automated.

Attached: Modern_loading_dock.jpg (2628x2124, 1.46M)

The gps tracking log has killed more trucking jobs than any self auto drive will ever do to destroy the business

Mixed signals

I actually think a combination of human trucks & A.I. passenger vehicles makes more sense.

Why would the first fully automated vehicles be the ones which weigh 50 tons? If we're talking about saving money, firstly the systems fitted to a car would be much cheaper. Secondly, there will be demand to free up commute time which could be used for laptop work or leisure.

More realistically, there will be a period of years or a couple of decades, of driving aids rather than full AI control. It will be a legal requirement to still be focused on the road conditions.

Lol I work for them too. The MHE are all going to be converted back to batteries in the near future. Lipo instead of lead acid. The self driving vehicles are a PR stunt.

Another point which has already been made; a human truck driver can deliberately cause a collision, for example with a barrier at the roadside (huge material damage), in order to avoid a worse collision (the slightest risk of human injury).

I think there are many job occupations other than hauling tonnage in proximity to other human beings which will be automated first.

The idea of automating trucking is exciting/appealing, because it represents "Silicon Valley" suddenly wiping a traditional, somewhat romanticised blue collar job off the map. A job which is conducted 95% on public land is trickier to offload onto AI, than a far less hazardous job which takes place on a defined piece of private property.

bit of fun

Attached: solotrailer.jpg (1080x1080, 90K)

How are those things going to deal with snow?

I love the push for automation to sell things as cheaply as possible to people who no longer work because of automation. It's like the jews found a way to hoover up the last remaining cash in circulation.

self driving trucks won't exist in any state with rain or snow

>Driverless pizza delivery
>Have a person jump in front of the car wearing a mask
>Somebody else jumps behind it so it can't back up
>3rd person cracks it open with a crowbar and steals all the pizza

Free pizza every night boys!

Read the thread. We've already discussed adverse conditions.

Please tell me more about the direction the logistics of the industry I work for will take. Gonna get rich with these sweet nuggs of insider information. Wonder why everyone isn’t investing in this! Free money!

How do these things deal with salt and road grime? Cars get dirty as fuck in the winter. Can they really handle all the sensors getting covered with ice and snow and salt?

I guess maybe if they are heated and they have wipers to constantly clean themselves it might work.

Sensors don't have to use the visual spectrum. There's a wide range in electromagnetic waves to use that can bypass dirt and grime.

>Sensors don't have to use the visual spectrum. There's a wide range in electromagnetic waves to use that can bypass dirt and grime.

I guess when a school bus gets T-boned it will be because the firmware was out of date

3million cdl workers in usa

I'm surprised we aren't seeing "drone" trucks right now: vehicles with no driver onboard, but with a satellite uplink to an operator working from a specialized facility. The truck could keep moving 24 hours a day simply by switching between different operators seamlessly. Attracting operators would be easier than attracting truck drivers: no days-long shifts, no staying away from home for a week at a time, you work 8 hours a day from a office building a few miles from home like any other job, but you're operating vehicles all over the country.

>heavy snow, heavy rain shower, construction on roads
Fuck if only governments created massive Meteorology computer systems to track weather across their countries and then have that network assessable to other government bodies.
FUCK IF ONLY SOMEONE WAS SMART ENOUGH TO DO THIS

Attached: 1312706309650.jpg (1444x1105, 605K)

How does this differ from a standard delivery guy?

Don't forget the people that will actively sabotage the self-driving vehicles. They use sensors that are jammed easily like anything else.

Within 10 years 50% of trucks will be self driving for everything outside of cities.

Mostly due to delays in communications. If something sudden happens, commands can't actually reach the drone fast enough to respond.

>buy from mom and pop shops
sure if you fucks would lower prices, and come to my city ill think about it. But for now I aint paying 5 bucks for a loaf of bread.

Also self driving cars blow asshole, its chink made tech. Until we develop something autonomous in our own countries it wont happen, we need to fire sjws and make the military and smart people involved. Not retards you see working for apple leaching off the gibs making sjw propaganda

Truck hijacked and relieved of its cargo within first year

>I'm surprised we aren't seeing "drone" trucks right now: vehicles with no driver onboard, but with a satellite uplink to an operator working from a specialized facility. The truck could keep moving 24 hours a day simply by switching between different operators seamlessly. Attracting operators would be easier than attracting truck drivers: no days-long shifts, no staying away from home for a week at a time, you work 8 hours a day from a office building a few miles from home like any other job, but you're operating vehicles all over the country.

Not a bad idea. You'd need some kind of overhead camera system to compensate for the human operator not experiencing body roll & momentum.

The other thing is, it's not safer for a remote operator to work 10 hours straight than a RL driver.

That’s a Tesla electric, not an auto driver.

So what's different from today? You think a single person is going to stop a large group of people needed to completely loot a semi-truck?

do your own homework leaf

Too funny.

Attached: BF4A892A-1A3C-46B8-9108-7680DF2F9D1D.png (1762x974, 1.86M)

I buy from Ebay directly from Chinese sellers and you can't stop me.

We can't resist technological progress just because capitalism can't distribute resources properly. Every economist left and right has predicted this situation. We're going to have to move past the "go find a rich person to do stuff for if you want to live" model.

good the last thing we need is a horde of poos driving big rigs.