Drug-testing and employment

Does Jow Forums think that drug-testing is overused in the US employment market? I turned down a job last week after being hired because the last step of the process involved drug-testing. I'm not a drug user, but I consider that a privacy invasion and a personal insult. I explained this to the company, and the HR people were willing to do a waiver (apparently they need employees), but the boss himself intervened and got angry and told me that I was being arrogant and foolish, etc. and demanded the test.

The boss is a Boomer in his late-60's; the HR people I talked to seemed to be in their early-40's. I told the boss that I thanked him for the offer, but the conditions for employment failed to meet my minimum standards, and I was withdrawing my employment application, which only seemed to make him angrier. Is there some kind of generational split going on with drug-testing in the workplace? How does Jow Forums feel about this issue?

Attached: Meth arrests.png (978x780, 449K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cu_kJ4jEJ9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't think they should do it unless they have reason to believe an employee is intoxicated on the job.

No, you fucking idiot it has nothing to do with generational differences. It is standard practice and there is a major lobby for it because people make fucking money off of it.
They also want the right to be able to fire actual drug users, who show up high to the job. Which happens. All the time.

Agreed it's a job, unless you work for the armed forces or police, politician aka government worker, post office we all know meth heads steal shit

How does drug-testing affect the ability of employers to fire drug-using employees? You can fire drugged employees whether or not they passed a drug-screen at some prior point.

No work should not stop when you clock out

I agree with you. I quit a job because the company had a policy that after every accident you had to go through a drug test. My accident was another employee backing into my work car in the company parking lot while it was properly parked. I felt it was an unreasonable invasion of my privacy plus they wanted me to do it after hours when I would normally be in class. So I left and they begged me not to go. That branch has since closed.

Stop smoking the pipe and get a job ya hippie

It is overused, but you're still trolling and memeing if this is even close to what happened

A lot of places do an initial screen and then never do it again, which makes your "reasoning" invalid

I have a job as a contractor/self-employed LLC in the same industry; this was supposed to be a "lateral" hire, but then the boss sperged out about drug-testing.

If your job requires you to operate certain pieces of machinery (pilots, plant operators/engineers, metro bus drivers, etc) they ought to be drug tested. The last thing you want is a process engineer at a plant baked af when their is a process upset at a chemical plant.

>>t. Chemical engineer that works for Dow

its more of thing in USA imo, doesnt happen alot in EU. but it all depends on job. like in IT u have no problem with getting a job if u do drugs or even have record about drugs. it all comes to skill and drugs have nothing to do with it. and what i mean by doing drugs is if u dont do them everyday but occasionally on weekends like a normal human

Depends on what insurance you have but they can cover part of the legal fees when the employee sues you because that's what they all do these days.

Make sense you drug addled retard.

By that I mean that insurance will pretty much make it mandatory for you to be a prescreen work place.

We have it here, honestly it's more as a way to say no darkies as they'll either fail or refuse to get up early for the test. But if it's a lateral hire it's a bit rude to ask except for liability reasons.

I drug test all my people pre-employment and randoms post-employment, because I don't want my money supporting degeneracy.
I'll also not hire a person if I suspect they are a leftist, or if they have tattoos, or they talk like a nigger. Goes without saying no niggers, spics, kikes, natives, or any blend thereof. I hire females for female work and males for male work. If I find out you are a single mom, no hire. And in the interest of equality if a guy ran out on his kid no hire.

>if a guy ran out on his kid no hire.
>Already has a no nigger policy.

Redundant.

There is no shared loyalty between company and employee anymore. So the idea that a company can be invasive on your privacy is one that is quickly coming to head. There are companies that require you to make your social media open to them - think about that.

It's far different than a 'you've got nothing to hide so we can look at all your shit.'

Now there are jobs that REQUIRE that, which are perfectly understandable.

single parents are just a walking no show

why a town of 140 has a mayor and not a TM form of government is beyond me.

Probably was a larger town once that's since shrunk/been enveloped by it's neighbours.

I used to work at a grocery store and they did random drug tests.

It did feel like an invasion of my privacy, to have to pee in a cup and hand it to a complete stranger.

One time I walked in the back where they do the drug tests and I saw a female employee leaving with the drug test guy, and he was holding her urine specimen.

I wonder if she felt embarrassed that I saw her urine. You know how women are, they're embarrassed by bodily functions.

God, I'm glad I don't work there anymore. The people who work at grocery stores who aren't young adults trying to gain work experience are total pieces of shit. Fucking losers who gossip and play such office politics.

>How does drug-testing affect the ability of employers to fire drug-using employees? You can fire drugged employees whether or not they passed a drug-screen at some prior point.

It's a liability thing user.

Imagine you don't screen for drug use. Then some day an employee comes in high and damages property, hurts themselves or hurts other people because they were high. Now the employer looks negligent because they didn't know. The fact is you can't always know if people are using, but if you aren't screening it looks like you aren't even trying. Even if someone passes one day and fails the next and then hurts someone, at least it shows you tried to screen for it as an employer.

People are sue happy. Employers just don't want to be a target because of some shithead who hid their drug problem and then hurt someone on the job.

Clearly they allowed niggers to move in and the town went to shit now everyone's on drugs.

Also both of those guys look like they are related.

In addition to the safety issue, it's because employers don't want the hassle of hiring degenerate drugged up fuckheads that miss work constantly and have to be replaced after wasting training time.

I'm guessing it's a huge waste of money, spending about a 100 bucks a pop to weed out stoners who I'd rather deal with in retail outlets and service sector businesses than niggers and shitskins. I mean, do you really need a test to identify methheads and crack fiends and heroin junkies?

its like higher education. if you test enough you can weed out the fucking losers. its not 100% but nothing is, not even an iq test.

Small town Oregonian here.

Small Oregonian town goes with meth like pro athlete goes with strip club.

I expect everyone to comment on the wetness of water next

Depends. I think the military's 7 year concept is retarded. Especially for this generation. When I went to sign obviously I wasn't going to say "Yeah dude, highschool was a fucking blur". But even when I said, "Yeah I smoked weed in the past the recruiter wrote down "1 time use" and then asked me if I liked it. Still didn't get to go but whatever.
I don't think weed should be tested for at all. And I think an initial drug test is fine to see if you are an absolute retard who gets high before starting a new job, or if you fuck something up at work and it looks like you might be high.

The pissing doesn't bother me too much, they pay me for 3 hrs to drive down, wait, and drive back. Physicals are the insulting thing which I refuse to do, some dude grabbing your balls and running tests on you like you're a slave going up for auction, fuck that.

And this is why I'm joining the union

nigger cletus kek

youtube.com/watch?v=cu_kJ4jEJ9A

I have taken a lot of drug tests.

It is not necessarily the company, it can be the federal government or insurance company requiring the drug test.

Every major problem that we have in America is rooted in the federal government, and the problem usually began with a jew.

Boomer

It's nothing but a big sham really. One of the largest low key reasons why there is so much pushback on the legalization of weed. A couple years ago it was a 15 billion dollar a year industry, who knows what it's worth now. Seeing as that it's only really effective at detecting marijuana, marijuana legalization would pretty much end that industry overnight. No business cares about their employees doing drugs, they care about the ability to deny them workers comp or health insurance should they test positive for them. It's why you have businesses where the entire pot smoking employee payroll magically passed the hiring piss test, but won't pass the piss test should they step on a nail at work.

drug-testing in a vacuum is a violation of privacy. but it's also a good way of weeding out massive fuck-ups and degenerates. if you cant stay sober long enough to pass a drug test then i wouldn't want to hire you either. regular random drug testing however is ridiculous imo

It's a good way for employers to get around the civil rights act. Filters out white trash too.