Best way to learn another language

What is the most cost/time effective way to learn a new language?

Attached: 9881820A-F318-42B6-A200-8E04EAF96716.jpg (275x183, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

duolingo.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=q3jEnK7JebE
puroh.it/learning-german-a1-to-c2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First step is to pick any language other than German.

Immersion

Das ist ein dicke hund! Ich spiele musik gern. So ein mist!

this
take your own advice

Make friends with a native speaker and skype a couple of hours every week.

That is an interesting question, because I always have to ask people what they mean when they "speak another language". There are so many different meanings to that sentence.

The best bet in my opinion is to look for any official exams out there regarding the language, like the JLPT for Japanese, japanese language proficiency test. Look through the different levels and it will give you a better idea of how and to what extent you want to speak it.

Take it from someone even at the highest level of Japanese, level 1, you will always be learning, shougai gakushuu, lifetime learner.

I have no idea if German has any equivalent but that will get you started in the right direction, do you plan on having a chat with a German as a friend? Do you want to study in German? Do you want to do business in German? It was the same thing for me and Japanese, again even at a level 1 in Japanese for me, I can read through the NHK news, listen, read Asahi shimbun articles, talk at a high level, but when it comes to radio Japanese and conversational, the slang they use, the words the use are not academic, not high end.

So figure out what you want when you say "speak a language", and that is a good start.

Attached: 1521404556872.jpg (565x753, 117K)

duolingo.com/

Is there such thing as Trump Supporters in France I want to live there

I've been learning Korean on Duolingo and I really appreciate that it teaches you to read and write in Korean at the same time.

Does anyone here study or speak French?

Community college

Es klingt so schrecklich. Andere germanistische Sprachen sind schön, z.B. Schwedisch, Norwegisch und Englisch. Warum sind die Deutsche so anders?

Get a 300 most used words dictionary. Learn 10 words a day. Get a local hooker to spell-check and repeat all the words you did learn before.
Be fluent in brazilian and empty balls in 1 month. Done that.

I wanted to lean other languages but then I get lazy...
I was learning German through Duolingo and was finding it interesting, though.

Why? In America, it is the most normal language to learn. The Americans that learn French are literally gay, the ones that learn Spanish are fags that want to pander to the invading spic hordes. The only other languages taught in our schools before university are German, Latin, and Italian.

>Get a local hooker to spell-check and repeat all the words you did learn before
It's portuguese, not Brazilian.
Anyway, you don't even need to get a hooker's help. Any Brazilian in the internet would be willing to help if you asked in any site about learning other languages.
Also, try not to pick that carioca accent.

Weeb faggot. I’m learning Japanese too, should’ve chose Germab or something, Japanese is tiring.

Brazilian and portugese are way different. No need for conjugations in brazilian, just add shhhh.
Btw you need the hooker. Mandatory. And it must be a 90-60-90 mulatta.

Hard work unironically.

Mulatto is 50 /50 what you are going on about is closer to a pardo

>tfw struggling to learn spanish
It's such a confusing language to me.

memrise.com

>Skype
Nobody uses Skype anymore, everyone uses Discord now.

I'm almost fluent in Afrikaans / Dutch after casually using Mondly. Duolingo is A+ for any of it's listed languages, but if Duo doesn't have it, Mondly does & promise you it's worth the $14.

Chinese is actually really easy if you are using Pinyin, which is their alphanumeric standardization of characters. SUPER simple grammar, tones aren't that hard either. You will struggle with sounds like "Ji," because I promise you that you've never made that sound before.

Biggest tip, look for children's books online for the language you are learning. You WILL be able to find them for free.

This guy is right, it's hard to go from Arabic to German. But for a native English speaker, it's not that bad. The grammar is helllllla fucked because all nouns have gender.

Spanish is literally fag tier. It's way to easy to learn, you can learn it just by listening to it enough. If you learn it in America, you are also learning the language of the invader so kys.

Hungarian/Polish/Crylic base: Not even once. Don't try.

That is all.

Attached: 1523358364503.jpg (480x480, 29K)

Yeah, they are. But we say we speak portuguese, not brazilian. Just call it PT-BR.
Careful with hookers, you may end up with a prostitute with an Adam's Apple.

I got some language mp3's and listening to them on my commute. I can speak fluent French, Italian, Hebrew, Russian, and Arabic.

Can't read or write a word, but I can speak it.

This.

German has been hard to learn. I only picked it because I wanted to learn a non-romance language that was still popular in Europe. German is the obvious choice, with Russian being the other option.

I think German is a beautiful language desu. It has a bad rap for some reason, but really it's quite nice.

There are levels to language learning. The most cost/time effective thing to do in the very beginning is probably Duolingo or Memrise courses.

Once you have committed some real time to it and have dedicated yourself to learning a language buy a text book and a dictionary and start reading simplified news articles etc. Also listen to the language constantly. Even if you don't understand you get a feel for the language and start to understand the music of it.

There's an app for people who want to learn your language, and you want to learn their's, so you can talk to eachother, it's called Hellotalk, I believe.

Basically:

1. Learn the sounds. A lot of times, ESPECIALLY if you are learning another Germanic like Afrikaans, Dutch, German, the word is just a different pronunciation of a word you already know. You'd be surprised.

2. Learn the grammar. Again, especially with germanics. It will be weird to put the second verb at the end, but you will get used to it eventually.

3. Children's books, like I said

4. Duolingo / Mondly

5. Hellotalk

6. Immersion if you are a complete trust fund baby rich fag.

Also, be careful because when you learn enough language, it will fuck your English up bad. I catch myself using Germanic grammar all the time, and while not technically incorrect most of the time, you will sound strange.

Good luck.

Attached: 1524079675937.jpg (1024x502, 29K)

Yep. Mostly in conservative cities like menton and even nice

lol I just use my local convenience store Russian dude to check my pronunciation

An app called utalk. They have basically ever language you can imagine (real ones do don’t go expecting fucking kilngon). It’s way better than duolingo or babble and they even use native speakers so you can perfect your accent. Costs $19.99 per langue

link?

Oh, last thing OP. Don't ever let someone convince you to memorize shit. That is literally the most inefficient thing you can do. Babies don't learn to talk by memorizing the words, and they learn language much faster than adults can. My hot Mandarin tutor who was thirsty for the BWC on the reg would piss me off no end about that shit. It's subhuman tier learning style.

Learning how to learn a language is seriously half it, and when you figure out how that works for *yourself*, you can do it again, and again, easier each time.

Attached: 1523197416397.jpg (500x562, 44K)

For (you)

Attached: 1523357458935.jpg (471x462, 62K)

Sorry Deutsche user my bloodline and last name are German and I'm already making great progress in duolingo.

Attached: 1529620043055.png (473x500, 8K)

>I catch myself using Germanic grammar all time time
What is this like?

Prime example of point #1

youtube.com/watch?v=q3jEnK7JebE

This guy's tourist videos are pretty based as well, despite his mudshit Nederlander status.

I did the whole German tree twice on Duolingo: I forgot everything.

Good luck

Attached: Duolingo_logo_with_owl.svg.png (250x269, 16K)

This remind me of trip to Europe. I had to speak in English with others to help the people from my group.

Feelsgoodandbadman.jpg.

It's cool, because it tells me that I'm achieving some type of mastery of the Germanic group, but also bad because I'm someone who prided themselves on true mastery of my first langauge, which as we all know....a whoooole lot of American's don't through their entire life. I cringe when professional adults can't conjugate "to be," correctly. "Is, was, are" is the fucking worst offense to me.

Attached: shoost.png (1920x1080, 1.35M)

inb4 bad grammar, I'm trying to type quickly.

I hate that my language is the lingua franca of Europe. It sucks that almost everyone can speak it, very, very badly. It's not special in any way.

Attached: 1512948324793.jpg (700x636, 71K)

I think Spanish is one of the easy ones to learn if you're an English speaker. But I understand if you hate it, if I were an American I would probably hate Spanish too because of the Mexicans.

Duolingo doesn't help me one bit. It's been fun to play with Greek and French, but I feel like I've wasted my time on Polish with no results. Exercises I complete, newspapers I can't read.

"Spanish is literally fag tier. It's way to easy to learn, you can learn it just by listening to it enough. If you learn it in America, you are also learning the language of the invader so kys."

My nigga, you know how it is. I would be pissed if I was a huwhite Spaniard, knowing that Mexishits spoke my language. I laugh out loud when there are subtitles to a movie, and it will literally give an option for Euro Spanish, or Mexican Spanish, kek.

Attached: 1520843607555.jpg (811x811, 85K)

Кoгдa мы были нa вoйнe,
Кoгдa мы были нa вoйнe,
Taм кaждый дyмaл o cвoeй
Любимoй или o жeнe.
Taм кaждый дyмaл o cвoeй
Любимoй или o жeнe.

И я, кoнeчнo, дyмaть мoг,
И я, кoнeчнo, дyмaть мoг,
Кoгдa нa тpyбoчкy глядeл,
Ha гoлyбoй ee дымoк,
Кoгдa нa тpyбoчкy глядeл,
Ha гoлyбoй ee дымoк.

Кaк ты кoгдa-тo мнe лгaлa,
Кaк ты кoгдa-тo мнe лгaлa,
Чтo cepдцe дeвичьe cвoe
Дaвнo дpyгoмy oтдaлa.
Чтo cepдцe дeвичьe cвoe
Дaвнo дpyгoмy oтдaлa.

Ho я нe дyмaл ни o чeм,
Ho я нe дyмaл ни o чeм,
Я тoлькo тpyбoчкy кypил
C тypeцким гopьким тaбaчкoм.
Я тoлькo тpyбoчкy кypил
C тypeцким гopьким тaбaчкoм.

Я тoлькo вepнoй пyли ждy,
Я тoлькo вepнoй пyли ждy,
Чтoб yтoлить пeчaль cвoю
И чтoб пpeceчь нaшy вpaждy.
Чтoб yтoлить пeчaль cвoю
И чтoб пpeceчь нaшy вpaждy.

Кoгдa мы бyдeм нa вoйнe,
Кoгдa мы бyдeм нa вoйнe,
Haвcтpeчy пyлям пoлeчy
Ha вopoнoм cвoeм кoнe,
Haвcтpeчy пyлям пoлeчy
Ha вopoнoм cвoeм кoнe.

Ho виднo cмepть нe для мeня
Ho виднo cмepть нe для мeня
И cнoвa кoнь мoй вopoнoй
Meня вынocит из oгня
И cнoвa кoнь мoй вopoнoй
Meня вынocит из oгня

Ivan, you are not of enough learnings.

Attached: 1523354726805.jpg (720x524, 110K)

Well, it really helped. Not so much in Germany because I was with jetleg so I didn't go out as much as the rest.
Now my sister and my mom are planning to go to France and Spain. At least my sister is learning french. I heard they don't like people trying to talk to them in english.

Got them from the public library as CD's.

>Learn the grammar.

NEVER learn the grammer. You wont speak fluently with grammar rules in the brain. Instead, memorize frequent phrases. Thats the way we master languages.

thank you user. Never heard of it, cool resource.

1 learn the basics at duolingo

2 consume audiovisual material

after some thousand hours you are done

>Learn the grammar
Learn the language first. Familiarize yourself with common phrases, learn how people irl speak the language and learn the grammar last.

Unless you're just learning it just to read learning the grammar first can actually hinder your progress.

I actually got pretty good at reading and understanding Spanish but I noticed my grades were not to my liking and had to put it down and now I'm back to square one.
Any Spain-anons want to tell me how to speak Castilian Spanish and not the garbage to the south of my country?

Attached: 1525543369253.png (645x552, 35K)

I study Russian privately and it is going fine. Bit slow.

I also study Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish at uni. Spanish is going gangbusters but Chinese is horribly difficult.

It really depends on the pace at which you want to learn. I am having a lot more fun in Russian and Spanish

btw French, Arabic and Portuguese are handy as well

Attached: 1508386782411.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Our portuguese or the one from Portugal?

interesting Leaf... here's a redpill question for the cadre... "Which two languages have the MOST words"?? Answer: English and German... It is an interesting correlation if not outright causation that the two languages that are used by the two groups of people on this planet that have advanced and benefitted the human condition the most, are able to communicate more efficiently and effectively with a very deep and rich vocabulary, that is language....keep this in mind and keep your heads up when (((they))) and (((their))) groups of the day, start attacking Caucasian peoples...

I take French on Duolingo

I would like to the car buy.

Swiss, try this theory out... how about learning basic, everyday words and definitions of everyday things, like learning the words in whatever language is being learned. Such as mom, dad, cat, dog, car, refrigerator, airplane, coffee maker, etc..Then hearing others speak the language with words that are learned, makes sentence structure and grammar easy to learn...

where do those ones hang out, so I know where to avoid?

>with a very deep and rich vocabulary
No. you don't talk like that. There's this browser extension that checks grammar, Grammarly. it constantly tells me I use more words than 90% of its users.

English is simplified af, Russians throw a lot of weird words all the time

This is because Duolingo is simply not good for learning languages. You learn words and phrases through rote repetition but nothing coheres.

This is typical, see above. Its a flashcard game using foreign words, not a language learning resource.

Russian and Mandarin, ambitious lad

Honestly, the best resource I've found has been Rosetta Stone, a list of the 1000 most common words in your target language, and a used textbook to be used sparingly for grammar questions that aren't clearly explained in the software (which is an unavoidable weakness of their "no English" rule, as good as it is). Sometimes reading something once, clearly, is all it takes to get you over a plateau.

give me the russian word for occipital lobe

>download/torrent free language learning books
Look at the old "teach yourself" and living language books, assimil is really good too for some people. Get a good grammar book to go with it.
>vocabulary
Make flashcards, and go over them frequently. It's recommended that you increase the length of time between them, i.e. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc. Download anki for flashcards.
>speaking/listening
Combine watching TV/movies with your studying, listen to music, and find a native speaker that can tolerate your shitty accent.

This shouldn't cost you more than $30-40.

Beats me, senpai. I only know where they stay in my city because a tranny got killed by others because he was charging them because he was allowing them to stay in his corner. And my city and state are rarely visited by people from other countries. You will have to ask people from SP and RJ this, seeing that these places get more foreigners.

Get maybe an introductory book/cd of some kind. Get a good book on grammatical structures. Perhaps one for english too if you don't know the formal rules of english – trust me, it makes foreign grammar (in my experience german) x1000 easier.
Get a good dictionary.
Read a foreign newspaper or other text every day/week/whatever:

What most people miss is that you need to give yourself a reason to use the language (such as immersion, which is the most effective method), and your brain will learn/remember the information much quicker/better. A big reason why language classes for example fail students in school is because essentially 0 of them ever use the language outside the very limited environment of the class. Use it or lose it baby.

Also when you learn vocabulary, don't associate the foreign word with the english word — associate the foreign word with the mental image that's called to mind when you think of the english word. Very important.

Learning etymology can be helpful too, as it is with english.

absolute garbage advice. especially if you'll be doing more reading/writing than speaking.

Attached: 1509848853561.jpg (600x400, 32K)

maybe it's because you use words like "grammarly", that don't exist

Grammarly is the name of the program you asshole

LMAO is it a program for illiterates?

I don't know, I refuse to even look at it just because I hate their youtube ads so much

You are me, bro.

Attached: 2ace910860526258598a1feca1454f36.jpg (400x400, 15K)

JLPT is a giant meme. I passed N2 and didn’t even bother with N1 because I realized that employers don’t give a single fuck. I work in finance here and interview so many weebs with N1 that can’t even begin to form a proper sentence because all of there “studying” has been reading loli doujin in sadpanda and literally 0 conversation practice.

Can you form a sentence, user-kun desu ka no wa imasu todokete?

I work in Japanese every day and have grown to hate this language desu. By the time you’ve sent your 5000th email in business Keigo you really start to hate the autism of Japanese.

ich werde jedes letzte deutsche mädchen bohne, das ich auf meine weg finde

Attached: 1529772795112.jpg (950x968, 124K)

by studying regularly

Attached: 1380599106590.jpg (654x720, 113K)

Also fuck duolingo

Attached: firefox_2018-06-24_00-08-57.png (660x568, 348K)

>I hate their youtube ads so much

>Not having an adblocker installed.

Literally subhuman.

thanks for not answering the question nyan que paso

i grew up with german television and at the age of 9-10 I realized that I understand German perfectly, but couldn't write and speak well.
Wanted to learn german at school but there was only english. I had to give up on german and ended up learning english instead getting the Cambridge exams and shit.
About 12 years passed since I watched German tv or television in general. I still understand about 70% of the things they say and now that I'm in my twenties I seriously considered learning German, but if Germany will become prominently shitskin I'd rather not.
Always loved you Germany.

there are certain videos I watch in incognito because I don't want that band in my search recommendations for the next 10 years since their algorithm is all jacked up. On those occasions, my usual layers of protection don't work.

This .
Indeed, Deutsche Sprache schwere Sprache.

Es kann sein, besonders fuer nichtdeutschesprechere.

>Flag
>Shits on G*many

Checks out in current year / 2020 - 2

Attached: 1518304416630.jpg (333x507, 26K)

Even Swiss German brainlets can't speak or write properly German,
so no need to be afraid of learning German and making mistakes.

don't worry I won't be leaving my country. I will stay here and build it.

Some people can be real assholes about that, especially online. I sometimes try to practice my German on here, and I've gotten some terrible responses. Likewise, irl Germans are so proud of their English they refuse to speak German with me the second I make a mistake. Even in Germany, everyone just speaks English with me, even when I engage them in German. How am I ever supposed to learn?

This is a great guide for German:
puroh.it/learning-german-a1-to-c2/

If you want to reach C1/C2 prepare for the long haul. It will take several years.

>this

Learned more Spanish in a year of Memrise than I did in 4 years at school. The only way you're going to learn a new language as an adult is is you just hammer it into your head and constantly review. They also have video of native speakers speaking words or phrases, which will help you understand the language when it's spoken at a fast pace.

> I sometimes try to practice my German on here, and I've gotten some terrible responses.
Yeah, a similar phenomenon can be observed with Germans living in Switzerland,
since Swiss Germans don't usually speak German but "Mundart" or dialect which the Germans
of course don't understand. So usually they have a hard time to integrate and assimilate in Switzerland
as most Swiss don't like to be forced to speak German.

>If you want to reach C1/C2 prepare for the long haul. It will take several years.

Calm your tits, pal. For a casual learner, sure, it would take a couple of years. For a motivated native English speaker...3 years? No, sorry just no.

If you were to say that about Hungarian, Mandarin (Full character set, Oral + Pinyin is pretty fucking easy if I don't mind saying so), Russian, etc, sure, it would take years before you reach C-anything. But for...German.

Are you huwhite? "Well, it's not every nigger speaks German, don'tchu know?"

Attached: 1529697850412.jpg (470x470, 45K)

I've heard that it's more about how Swiss people are just assholes. Much like how the Dutch are total assholes about languages, that they "were a trading nation, and learned the most amount of languages, etc." If you speak Dutch to them, they will simply respond in their garbled English which they feel is so much better than your Dutch.

Attached: 41cdc67ba72a6611e3fb4b9c3a64f70ff2692f614c0c0596ce7835fc0e45692e.png (1160x717, 1.59M)

Europeans are assholes in general. Don't mind it and keep practicing. My advice is to start reading things written in German as well. I did this with English. I knew the basics well enough to get good grades, but I had trouble with it at first. Now I can talk with people like you. All it takes is studying.

I'm not alone it appears

>enter public college with study abroad program
>immediately sign up
>go to whatever land you want.

Attached: bouloud bourdain.jpg (1060x705, 155K)

Pimsleur + Classes + Pen Pals + TV and Films in that language on vlc at 90% speed with a dictionary in hand.

30 minutes of ASSIMIL in the morning
30 min to an hour of vid watching at night.

Do this for three months and you will speak a good bit of one of the romance languages.

>the Americans that learn French are literally gay
:(

>english is simplified

Quite frankly, you people are lucky the anglosphere has low standards compared to say, the french, when it comes to speaking our language. most non-natives are nowhere near as good as they think they are.

I speak French. Mum is French therefore so am I