I grew up faithless but am starting to appreciate the Christian roots of Western civilisation...

I grew up faithless but am starting to appreciate the Christian roots of Western civilisation. I’m still not sure what to believe but I see it as a possible island of sanity in the current degenerate mess of our society.

What’s the best and most accurate English translation of the Bible for me to study, and why?

Attached: AFCD0A16-5BD1-4671-98C3-7DA7990F3A00.jpg (224x184, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

e-sword.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3hESj__M8&list=PLRj8AJuzeJRwHdeFua3pzmwPB_JCS0mIq
youtube.com/user/jointhebibleproject
youtube.com/watch?v=u_ICo90vj8A
cambridge.org/bibles/bible-versions/#egvwiimvLyyYrrZP.97
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

I thought Jow Forums would be keen to help someone discover their faith.

KJV

Any Bible is alright, just avoid the catholic ones.

>Western Civilization
>Christian Roots
Every wonder why the west is so Jewed

>American

What's wrong with Catholic ones?

It has interpretaions imposed by magisterium. And it's censored a bit to fit their doctrines.

Western culture goes back further than Christianity. Learn history before you swallow such an obvious pill.

doctrines are the only thing that redeems orthodoxy. ever notice how many people who actual read their bible are cucked. most boomers are christian they sold there children's lives for rewards in heaven

Sola scriptura, sola fida, sola gratia, solus Christus, soli Deo gloria

Former fedora here. For basic exposure, get a 2011 NIV Bible with proper footnotes. There are also NIV/KJV comparison Bibles that help clarify the language without diluting the message. Always defer to the KJV as the authority.
If you’re a Calvinist you can fuck right off.

What he said

Burn witches

good for you

but the second you start subverting my life with it i want you dead

> appreciate the Christian roots of Western civilisation
Burger education at its best.

Greeks weren't white btw. And a little kiwi has no relation to them or the Romans.

The West is dying, why board a sinking ship?

fag

You're right, I've changed my ways

Attached: t1larg.jpg (640x360, 75K)

The Douay–Rheims Bible is easily the best English version. Created during the Counter-Reformation, has all the main books before protestants culled a bunch

ESV

God bless!

If there are just two things you should learn from your study of the Bible it’s to understand and accept the Trinity and that Jews are not heirs to God’s promise to Abraham.

Forget the west... the world has been in the grips of death since human civilization started... "My kingdom is not of this world"... you should be rushing to get on the ark you fucking fag

KJV

Believe on Him and be saved. It is through your faith and not your works you are saved

Welcome to the flock, user.
Also +KJV

Attached: Jesus.jpg (900x900, 99K)

>W-we dindu nuffin, it's those filthy protestants! It's their fault, we never burned anyone for reading the Bible, I swear!

>Matthew 17:21, 18:11, 23:14
>Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46
>Luke 17:36, 23:17
>Acts 8:37
>John 5:4, 10:10
If your ESV does not have footnotes all of these verses are omitted.

Pretty much this famalam

Attached: A2ABA1BB-BA3F-425E-B8A4-8D9400463F70.jpg (320x320, 54K)

If you’re referring to the New KJV, watch out. They change Jesus from being “God’s Son” to “God’s servant” in many passages, disregarding the Trinity.

Yeah I heard about that. People still seem to accept NKJV as a good translation though. Odd... Jesuits must be working overtime with that.

You might want to download e-sword , free with multiple Bibles, search engine, dictionaries, Church fathers etc:
e-sword.net/

Anything with Chuck Missler is a good way to understand the Bible, especially the inner structure of the Bible and a broad theological over-view:
One example; Learn the Bible in 24 Hours
youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3hESj__M8&list=PLRj8AJuzeJRwHdeFua3pzmwPB_JCS0mIq

Good luck, brother and God Bless :)

Attached: 0194566270c96007afb62a27a86a728c50.jpg (1024x768, 246K)

It depends on whether or not your version is a side-by-side or includes footnotes. Usually missing verses are noted but not all substituted words will be pointed out.

This goes without saying, only use physical Bibles for referencing. Many people that use Bible apps report differences when they update to the newer version of the app.

Yeah, we fucking did burn them... Since when is your average Joe capable of understanding scripture? Thanks to "solo scriptura" every tom dick and Jane thinks they are their own Pope... in turn it led to the revolutions which paved the way for democracy and the destruction of the West... fucking retard

Don't forget to get a good Christian wife and have many children. As a man you are the protector and spiritual leader of the family.

Attached: Christian Mother 04.jpg (640x785, 104K)

Whatever the translation (please avoid NIV) always remember - CONTEXT.
e.g.
>Who was this particular book written to? (audience)
>How would they have understood it?
>Does this apply today?
>Who is Jesus speaking to (people confuse his sayings directed at Jews and believe it applies to Christians)

>What’s the best and most accurate English translation of the Bible for me to study, and why?

Go with either the New King James Version, the NASB, or the ESV.

The KJV was a faithful translation and is good too, but we have access to thousands of more texts that have allowed us to make a few corrections, and there's no good reason to torture yourself with outdated English.

People who tell you that modern translations are just a game of telephone moving further and further from the original text are dead wrong, the opposite is true. Paraphrases like the Living Bible or politically correct "translations" like the NET or NIV that neuter gender can't be trusted, but the NASB, NKJV, and ESV are all largely faithful translations.

And that's why your pope is a filthy communist and catholic countries are shitholes, while protestant ones are rich and significant.

If you happen to be Greek, the argument of Bible translations is irrelevant as the LXX is the first translation of the Old Testament from Aramaic and the first transcribing of the New Testament.

Its like two passages, and its because the Greek word used is not huios, which always means son, but pais, a much less common word which even the KJV usually translates as servant.

>Always bump Christian threads
Don't settle for brainlet Protestantism, ascend to the Roman Catholic Church.

You might also want to check out this YT channel.
It's very basic and simple stuff, but easy to watch. It covers the entire Bible book by book in 5-10min. slick animated videos, OT and NT with other stuff.
youtube.com/user/jointhebibleproject

Attached: ACSszfE4tGDrjbD9wpAuKZ1jJHh7jwS2ebgElULPKw=s176-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj-mo.jpg (176x176, 8K)

Thanks for all the advice.

I find myself drawn more toward Orthodoxy than any other denomination to be honest, but I am open minded about it.
I do have a virgin gf who wants to remain pure until marriage... but she’s a Muslim... she says she doesn’t mind that I am embracing Christianity and still wants us to marry one day. I will try to convert her.

>island of sanity in the current degenerate mess of our society.
truth

GET OUT

What you’re saying is mostly true, though the NIV specifically was updated in 2011, reverting the gender neutral language to its original KJV translation.

No matter what translation you follow remind yourself that the Bible is God’s word but it was written by man with man’s flaws. For this reason some will defer to the translation with least “human meddling” when contradictions arise between versions.

We have no time for sectarian in-fight. Europe is going under. Concentrate. After we have won, we can debate theology all we want until eternity.

Attached: f84e13f951a0e8f3eb15dbbb152f0174.jpg (793x957, 58K)

Can affirm, these are really cool. Espacially contextualizing the minor prophets.

>And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house

If today is opposite day, why not ascend even further into Mormonism?

Personally I mostly use KJV (though at times I use my French BFC Bible if I come across a paragraph I don't understand).

I also use Know Your Bible and Study your Bible, 2 little booklets to help understanding who wrote what and in what context.

Most of Christianity followed today is Church dogma written and advanced by child fucking priests who wanted power and control. The doctrine of hell is a good example of this. Jesus taught some good things though, so by all means study the original teachings. The west needs religion. Just dont take it to literally.

>the year of our Lord Jesus Christ two thousand and eighteen
>taking the Morman pill

The satanist bible

Congratulation user.

See

I'd recommend using Strong's concordance no matter which version you read, it gives multiple translations as well as the context of the original Greek, it shows how a lot of verses have had their meanings changed by taking then out of context.

>Christian roots of Western civilisation

lol fucking moron

>mfw Martin Luther was a better catholic than Pope Francis

Attached: IMG_0157.jpg (2000x1455, 1.68M)

Douay-Rheims

Everytime I see this image I think he is reading a newspaper

Attached: 1528970564575.jpg (291x284, 7K)

This is is what religion is all about, tricking retards into believing what ever you tell them.

KJV is a Protestant Bible D-R is catholic without the modern bullshit, I'm orthodox but I use that.

>they sold there children's lives for rewards in heaven
What exactly are you referring to?
Nothing about modern "western" society is biblical

Lighten up, Francis, it was a joke.

The ressurection of Christ is a historical fact.

Oh yeah? So what ha's he been doing for the past 2000 years?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-21-19-51-43.png (1920x1080, 1.1M)

You're late. Though it'd been better if you've not come at all.

Go to 8ch /christian/ if you want actual help. Just be aware denom shit flinging is on par with console wars on /v/.

Catholic, Orthodox, or Baptist all other denoms are LARP tier because they do not have Apostolic roots.

>Polish
>not Catholic

Attached: orthodox.png (500x357, 179K)

Ascended and waiting at the right hand of the Father until he performs his Superhero Landing© and slaughters his enemies.

Why should I be catholic and build my life on a rotten foundations? Jesus is the only name we have, all kidfuckers in skirts are leading people straight to hell.

You should be orthodox clearly

He's knocking to your heart, hoping that one day you will hear Him and let him into your life.

>Ye that love the Lord, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.
Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Rejoice in the Lord, ye righteous; and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
>The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Are we Westerners Israelites?

I'm fine as I am

I would love to hear him but it never happens

Not in every sense. We are grafted into the tree and receive some of their blessings, but the New Testament still made a clear distinction between Christians and Jews, and God still has a separate and specific plan for Jews.

Just look at Biblehub.com. Original is the best so look at translations, look at the context and explanataion, look at this page basically.
Bible works is awesome also if you can find it to torrent it.

NIRV
Certainly an unpopular choice, but I've found it's translation to be significantly more accurate - for example Isaiah 14:12. KJV is intentionally corrupted and mistranslated in addition to using archaic language. Note that the people defending it will never claim it's the most accurate or anything else - their arguments amount to "this is what I was indoctrinated with, and my indoctrination requires me to never question it".

Because you don't want to. Accept your wickedness and confess it to God. Ask Him for salvation and become new being in God.

>joining an organization that has complete disregard for the Bible and instead pursues its own interests while hiding behind """""tradition"""""

There's a reason people don't trust Catholics. They're not allowed to think for themselves and are easily susceptible to foreign influence.

I think the problem is I was raised a jehovahs witness and thas a cult that teaches they are the only way to salvation and they have turned me off of religion

Yes and no. We get all the things promised to the Jews but because we accepted Jesus it is a little easier for us like we don't need to get circumcised and eating pork is fine Apostles said it not me bother them about it.

Hi user, pic related is the most reliable translation of the Bible.

Attached: jesus.jpg (333x499, 35K)

KJV

Attached: emoji.png (1000x1000, 35K)

You have my sympathy, bro. Don't let your experiences with perverse people keep you from pursuing a relationship with God, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=u_ICo90vj8A
Luckily for you everything they taught was invalid and you can get a fresh start.

Then I'm glad you left them. Jehovas Witnesses is literal sect, but you shouldn't turn your back to God because of them. God loves you and wants best for you. Talk to Him honestly, believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God, who died for your sins and be saved.

You might as well read Harry Potter, they both are works of fiction.

jajajaja entendi las referencias

Did Harry Potter predict that USA will become free from Brits, creation of the European Union which will later cooperate with Chinese communists and creation of RFID chips aka mark of the beast on your hand or forehead? :^) I think not.

I like this guy, listen to what he says here.

Thanks for the link I'll give it a shot

You know, its good to be careful about trying to fit contemporary events into revelation. Not saying it can't be so, but its been done lots of times before to the embarrassment of those trying.

Yeah I hope I can

Ye, I can't even describe my happiness. I live in a pagan country, yet somehow I managed to hear the gospel and repent. I wasn't even searching for God. I never expected, that one day I will become Christian and will talk to other people about God.

The English Standard Version is one of the most literal translations of the Holy Bible in English but without the 17th century English from the KJV according to cambridge.org/bibles/bible-versions/#egvwiimvLyyYrrZP.97

I will pray for you, everything will be alright. Trust God and let Him control your life.

You're a good one, user. I'll pray for you.