What would it take to actually get a human Mars mission going?

SpaceX has a Falcon Heavy which can lift quite some stuff into orbit. Assembling a Mars ship in Earth orbit based on ISS principles should be possible. You then get it to Mars orbit and touch down from orbit in a capsule a bit like those Mars rovers which have become quite heavy.

I know people like long stay Mars missions, but let us be honest, a mission with a short 20-25 day stay on Mars makes more sense for a first mission. You don’t need that much infrastructure on Mars, but you will need a freaking ascent vehicle delivered to Mars first.

Anyway, why is Trump not pushing for a Mars mission in the near term, putting Musk in charge. It would be hugely popular and Musk says it won’t cost more than 20 billion or so.

Attached: 7C2B12FA-B583-40F4-A60F-6C4B06AD8043.jpg (1600x1050, 550K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steemkr.com/steemstem/@proteus-h/how-magnetic-radiation-shielding-works
ethicalatheist.com/docs/benefits_of_space_program.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket
nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_fy_2019_budget_overview.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Direct
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no no no there can be no space mission to Mars it's mine and I have to get there first so no one else can go there if y'all are gonna help someone get to Mars help me I just need someone who is good with rockets because so far my tests have failed miserably

you can't really rush it since you need to human-rate the launch vehicles, and it is not planned to human rate FH. You could launch some people up on F9 (which will soon be human rated) to something assembled by FHs I suppose, but SpaceX are already working pretty quickly towards the BFR and I don't think they could make the progress much faster, even with a massive government handout specifically for a mission.

Their plan is to fund their Mars missions with Earth to Earth transport and, maybe more realistically, with global space wifi.

Lead shielding required to make the radiation safe for humans makes any Mars mission complete fantasy and fraud.

If Trump is for it the media will be against it and make its popularity lower. Also he's got to make the US stronger and more financially secure before embarking on such a luxury as Martian exploration.

a cheap camera, a greenscreen, a guy in a suit who can read from a paper
and most importent: some faggots who want to believe it
the rest is history

>safe for humans
>safe

that's the key word there. What is safe? Less than 5% cancer risk increase? Less than 10%? Of course, the journey does increase cancer risk, but it will not kill you outright. Many people consider this a 'safe' risk to take, many don't. If you don't want to take that risk, don't go I guess.

you can't really rush it since you need to human-rate the launch vehicles, and it is not planned to human rate FH.
Why would you need to human rate the FH? You assemble the Mars ship in Eart orbit with 10-20s FH. Then you take a normal Dragon on a F9 up there and dock.

>You could launch some people up on F9 (which will soon be human rated) to something assembled by FHs I suppose
Yes, that is what I said in my OP

>, but SpaceX are already working pretty quickly towards the BFR and I don't think they could make the progress much faster, even with a massive government handout specifically for a mission.
Why do you need an even large rocker if you have a rocket suitable to assemble a Mars spaceship with a cheap rocket like the FH already? Rocket launches are only a small fraction of a mission cost anyway, the spacecraft modules and the ops costs are what is really expensive.

Their plan is to fund their Mars missions with Earth to Earth transport and, maybe more realistically, with global space wifi.

Musk is working pretty damn fast. I honestly think he has the best shot.

In order for you to be correct, you need to believe trigonometry is fake, and\or the USSR was actually friends with the US during the Cold War.

There is the possibility to actively shield the crew with an electromagnetic field. Also, for a solar storm while on transit to Mars, you wouldn’t do lead shielding, but water shielding. You need lots of water and propellant. You arrange that so that the crew can slip behind it and then you turn the spacecraft in the direction of the sun and turn up the electromagnetic shield to max.

>Musk is working pretty damn fast. I honestly think he has the best shot.

Trump still needs to back him. NASA should be just doing ops, train the astronauts etc. Let SpaceX build the space craft in Earth orbit and build the Mars descent and ascent vehicles.

Anything you assemble in orbit is going to be really hard to re-use. If you just have one monolithic vehicle, re-use is so much easier, hence why SpaceX is going with BFR. The cost is then reduced to operation costs pretty much, as you will agree is a good thing.

Humans have no future in space, it will remain the domain of robotics and transhumans. If you want to seriously colonize Mars, focus on investing in robotics.

dude that's a waste of money lmao
we need to use that money to feed a billion niggers in africa lmao

simply unification of material assetts and the common goal to do it..

if we setup the "we're going to mars" stock on financial exchange it will also help too.
sell memorabillia like "mars soil" for $1,000+ a pint, and so on. "mars rock" $50,000
sculpt into some fine table or mantle piece. or better..

then people will buy into it..

it's not too far away.

we are going to mars in year 20xx

i'd be impressed if they managed to go to the moon first

There's no point in going to mars, the Earth has a natural reset button and is livable for millions of years in future. Mars pandering is virtue signaling of the elite to stray the focus of general populace from the core issues on earth.

Attached: 1518811459529.webm (884x492, 1.24M)

actually going into space would help.

We need a better space station, and a more reliable method of delivery to it, to mount a mission to mars. It's gonna take a LOT of material, in O2 and food and water alone, for the trip, and lifting it all into orbit in one go would be too expensive and risky. I believe the space station that's planned will address this - it will be key to unlocking moon and mars bases, as a jumping off point, and I think part of the plan is harvesting ice and creating oxygen from it from the moon, to use to go to mars.

Trump has bigger priorities, but he did sign the bill expanding the NASA budget, so far he's not anti-space, but the libs would lose their minds if he tried to fund something like that, even though most scientists think we're way overdue to get started on it. Second term is better for that kind of proposal.

the money could be used to fix problems here on earth tho. the space meme is a waste of money.

>mission with a short 20-25 day stay on Mars
Aren't time windows for orbit insertion only open for a few days every six months? You'd have to plan a mission that allows for a six months stay and thay gets very heavy very quickly

Could someone recommend a good sci-fi novel about going to Mars.

>Anything you assemble in orbit is going to be really hard to re-use. If you just have one monolithic vehicle, re-use is so much easier

It is the other way around really. A larger assembled Mars ship in orbit using e.g. nuclear-electric propulsion could be used for 20-30yrs to go back and forth from Eath to Mars.

A smaller ship based on a direcf injection to a Mars transfer orbit using something like the BFR would have to be discarded for each mission as the BFR is simply not big enough to lift a 2000 ton Mars ship into a Mars transfer orbit. You’ll need 20 FHs for that to assemble it in orbit...

To become space faring, we need reuseable ships that can enter and leave orbits and just need to be refueled. This means no more chemical in-space propulsion... which also means in orbit assembly ends up not being a problem as nuclear-electric propulsion can take you out and in of orbits.

>Anything you assemble in orbit is going to be really hard to re-use.

What would we reuse a Mars mission craft for, other than returning to Mars?

It's also a hell of a lot safer to use smaller vehicles to bring personell and supplies up to an orbiting mission craft, and a hell of a lot less fuel/propulsion will be needed for the craft to break orbit and head out, instead of blowing a shit ton of fuel on one craft, with enough fuel and supplies and gear for the mission, up the gravity well.

One huge honking rocket, like the Saturn series, is 60's technology. We're better and smarter than that now. It's also way riskier - we were lucky we never had an accident with a Saturn launch.

We go to Mars for the same reason we dive to the bottom of the ocean or explore Antarctica or climb mountains. We are curious people.

Attached: 4513D103-931D-419C-B4DD-0426EC09D2B2.jpg (640x512, 58K)

triangles are real

USSR and US were not friends, they were both puppets of the same jews

and musk is the worst ...

Mission windows happen every 2 1/2 years. But there are quite different missiom profiles for short and long term missions.

Attached: 029EF005-E2F8-4F63-82CC-EC23D4799239.jpg (1024x765, 116K)

Your country is free to feed niggers all it wants, we're talking about a US program.

You use things that came about from the space program every day, nigger. The "The space program is a waste of money" meme is what ignorant people say.

We could probably fund the entire thing just making Senators and Congressmen pay for their own travel and healthcare.

Ben Bova's Mars

First landing by Zubrin.

>and a hell of a lot less fuel/propulsion will be needed for the craft to break orbit and head out

You are thinking in terms of chemical propulsion with isps of 320. We will never go to Mars with chemical propulsion, I have spent too much time researching this subject to think otherwise. Nuclear-electric propulsion gets us to isps of 4,000 to 10,000+ which means we can concentrate on missioms rather than having to consider 90 percent fuel/propulsion heavy missions with 10 percent payloads... but rather 80 percent payload and 10 percent fuel and 10 percent propulsion.

>What would it take to get a human Mars mission going?
Extremely valuable resources on Mars, worth shuttling back. We already have massive tracts of uninhabitable land here on Earth to 'colonize'. Plus you don't have to worry about generating oxygen.

lol like what? my computer came from space or what? nothing they do even makes a little bit of sense.... its all a big show and the goys love it

circus maximus reloaded

Besides radiation shielding to get to Mars?
Besides enough firepower to punch through the firmament?
Besides money?
Gonna need jews gone.

I think he means the ballpoint pen.

Fuck mars. Redirecting platinum asteroids to crash into the Pacific is where its at.

Attached: katy_perry_ready_to_pop_by_no1drwhofan-d7lapx7.jpg (973x1200, 193K)

>a mission with a short 20-25 day stay on Mars makes more sense for a first mission
Given the distance and flight time...no

Attached: 1483068561724.jpg (350x349, 28K)

Venus is a lot closer.

mars needs more mexicans.

Attached: 1518810600469.webm (884x492, 1.88M)

Until we can produce flexible radiation shielding and artificial gravity, Mars is a deathtrap. Follow Elon wherever you like, but Mars is not humanity’s next step. A LaGrange colony with water shielding and spin gravity is.

600 day vs 900 day mission profile plus way more stuff to be delivered to the surface.

What you want is a simple one module habitat landed and in use for 20 days with like 10 Mars surface walks, then you return to the Mars ship in orbit and head back. Cheapest, least risk, most viable.

Undeniable evidence of the Earth being inside the Firmament my friend! Hallelujah to you! Amen!

I'm new to telescopes but
>FOCUS

Dude, a nuclear electric Mars ship has to be long (reactor away from crew) - 100 - 200m. You just spin the thing to provide 0.1g or 0.2g. Combine that with exercise and you are fine.

Also, a 200MW nuclear reactor provides enough power for really good electromagnetic shielding.

steemkr.com/steemstem/@proteus-h/how-magnetic-radiation-shielding-works

Attached: B974E286-6B9E-4B00-88AD-65149BB235A5.jpg (1427x1141, 227K)

Attached: 1516510868972.webm (884x492, 2.24M)

Attached: 1499633625716.webm (884x492, 1.22M)

Attached: 1521518276718.webm (884x492, 619K)

Attached: 1502212218251.webm (1920x1080, 1.48M)

Attached: Sirius filmed through telescope.webm (640x480, 1.36M)

Attached: 1526613147686.webm (640x360, 436K)

thats actually a genius idea.
we need multiple, bigger, better space stations.
STRAYLIGHT RUN WHEN?

we also need to get to mining the asteroids belt to build colonies. but without a mars base or at least a outpost on Phobos it isnt going to happen. Mars is going to be our shipyard for colony fleets in 50-100 years. the moon would be a crucial spot for setting up things and processing of elements. most of it could be automated.

Mars actually existing

I wasn't thinking of solid or liquid fuel at all, so you're wrong. Ask before assuming, because then you're just an asshole.

ethicalatheist.com/docs/benefits_of_space_program.html

Most Germans I've met weren't this retarded. Shame they have to put up with you.

You were saying fuel was a major constraint for a mission profile. This only applies if you use chemical in-space propulsions.

>we need multiple, bigger, better space stations.

Absolutely. The ISS is pretty cool, all things considered, but it's temporary and too small. We should be way further ahead, but we fucked up relying on the shuttle too long, and shutting it's replacement down because of public sentiment on the two shuttle crashes. Which wouldn't have happened if we'd developed more and replaced it sooner.

It's 2018 for fuck's sake. We're better than this. There's a massive bonanza waiting for us out in space, in all fields of research and science.

I’m not talking about the trip there and back... I’m talking about a permanent settlement. Note that I mentioned a colony in my post? And that I fucking mentioned spin gravity? Jesus, are you fucking stupid or did you just see that my post was anti-Musk and just started firing your spaghetti without reading the rest?

I don't have time to nitpick, waste someone else's time neckbearding.

>Nuclear-electric propulsion gets us to isps of 4,000 to 10,000+
Does this even exist? I know we have ion drives for small satellites.

Can idiots please leave the thread. Thanks.

Yes. The problem e.g. for Hall thrusters is scalling them up to higher power throughput. They tested 100kW, but you need 200-500MW going through that...

Hall thrusters are able to accelerate their exhaust to speeds between 10 and 80 km/s (1,000–8,000 s specific impulse), with most models operating between 15 and 30 km/s (1,500–3,000 s specific impulse).

The thrust produced by a Hall thruster varies depending on the power level. Devices operating at 1.35 kW produce about 83 mN of thrust. High-power models have demonstrated up to 5.4 N in the laboratory.[2] Power levels up to 100 kW have been demonstrated by xenon Hall thrusters.

Electromagnetic is more likely to work for larger propulsion tech

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket

This sounds promising, but it's still early prototyping. Is it realistic to imagine a Mars mission using this tech within the next 10 years?

exactly, economy of scale. that way we wont have to one off bespoke build shit. why have one or two, when we can have 50 or 100 space stations in case shit happens and a extra orbital ship needs to roll in with wounded or has has some depressurization happen.

once we get enough asteroids in moon orbit, and use some ingenuity, we could concievably fuse all the external surfaces, make it airtight, and start making big as fuck transports of raw materials and giant greehouses for food. we should take a page from Trumps book, and do it all bigger, better and more. if we only need 500 of something to keep x amount of people alive in space, and we can do 50,000 for 5 times as much work, we should always got for the more. you never know when shit will go sour on you.

throw enough money at anything and you can have it done in a month. with all the money the Clinton's embezzled from the govt in slick willy and that evil bitch as sec of state, we could have had this done, and we could have been shitposting from Andromeda.

Humans still cannot pass the van Allen belt. Figure that out first

>s it realistic to imagine a Mars mission using this tech within the next 10 years?

Yes. The principle works for large powrr throughput. In the 60s and 70s, most concepts called for nuclear propulsion. These were serious Mars mission plans and the propulsion technique wasn’t considered the bottleneck - most problems were for the descent to Mars and the ascent. Those things really killed the mission profiles then.

Starting in the 90s, all mission profiles have been pretty much killed by conservative tech proposals principally using chemical propulsion. It is just way too expensive.

Mars 2035 is already underway, in the USA. It has been for about a decade, but it picked up in 2015.

A 20-25 day-stay is not what's planned. The current plan is to begin by sending modular station buildings that can be robotically assembled. You land those and get the station up remotely, before any human beings approach. Once testing is complete, then you send the resources the stations require. Then you send the people, with a plan to keep the station in-use indefinitely, or at least leave it in a state ready for future use. A 20-25 day, one off trip, considering the resources required, would be ridiculous.

If you look at the NASA budget, there is no serious money put towards human Mars exploration. Most of the money is wasted to keep thousands of workers employed for a big government rocket based on the Shuttel external tanks... a rocket which is not going to be used but maybe 2-3 times until 2030.

That is not accurate.

nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_fy_2019_budget_overview.pdf

There are a lot of steps between now and Mars. It's not "Ok, in 2020 we put billions into 'Mars.'" It's: in 2019 we start by figuring out how to build sustainable, resusable bases on the moon.

sorry most germans are just a dumb as you are

nothing on that list requires space... think about it

atheists are so ignorant :/

Which lime item of the budget are you refering to?

SLS and Orion have really nothing to do with an actual Mars mission, those are kept around for political purposes but won’t ever be used for an actual mission beyond LEO.

...forgot screenshot

Attached: CE68EBA0-322B-4B83-B579-70AE36BB9FBB.jpg (2048x1152, 752K)

There's nothing to steal so nope

>Anyway, why is Trump not pushing for a Mars mission in the near term, putting Musk in charge.
>putting Musk in charge.
Why? Musk is a cool guy but rocket tech is literally stone age compared to all the shit the US has hidden away in caves.

Secret military industrial complex black projects are flying around black triangle ships with astral warp drive, yet you delusional retards talk about chemical rockets or nuclear propulsion.

This is why Islam is a death sentence.
We must always strive to the Infinite.

Political will. Literally.
Bob Zubrin has proven back in 1996 that a Mars mission can be done using chemical propulsion and a shuttle-derived launcher (i.e. AresV/SLS). No new tech is needed (VASIMR etc.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Direct

Shielding is an artificial problem. The radiation rates received by the Mars crew are not dangerous, but lead to increased cancer risk, which makes the mission ILLEGAL under the present regulations. Still, that is something which can be waived pretty easily by either Congress or POTUS.

> nuclear propulsion

NERVA worked, then the project was (((shut down))) in dubious circumstances along with Saturn V.
Saturn V + NERVA upperstage = Mars rocket

Colonize and industrially develop the Moon first as a staging platform.

Collect solar energy on the Moon and transmit the energy to Earth.

???

Profit

>The radiation rates received by the Mars crew are not dangerous, but lead to increased cancer risk

>not dangerous
>leads to cancer
Pick one

>increased cancer risk

Sir, working as a pilot increases your cancer risk. Doesn’t mean there aren’t any pilots.