Dutch Appreciation thread

Dutch settlers and their descendants in the colonies played active roles in the American Revolution and the formation of the United States, most especially descendants of the Schuyler family and the Van Cortlandt family. Dutch American signers of the Declaration of Independence included Philip Livingston and Lewis Morris, both from New York. Generals for the patriots included Philip Schuyler, Peter Gansevoort, and Major General James Morgan Jr. from New Jersey. On the side working with the British included New York City Mayor David Mathews (a cousin of General Schuyler), Major General Oliver Delancey and Brigadier General Cortlandt Skinner (both Schuyler family descendants).
In 1657 the clash between Peter Stuyvesant and Quakers led by John Bowne resulted in the Flushing Remonstrance which served as the basis for religious freedom in America.
During the American war of Independence the Dutch were active allies of the American revolutionaries. From the island of Sint Eustatius they gave the Thirteen Colonies one of the few opportunities to acquire arms. In 1778, British Lord Stormont claimed in parliament that "if Sint Eustatius had sunk into the sea three years before, the United Kingdom would already have dealt with George Washington".
The Dutch were the first to salute the flag, and therefore the first to acknowledge the independence of, the United States on November 16, 1776.
The Louisiana Purchase, also known as the "Great Land Acquisition", of 1803, is often seen as one of the most important events in American history after the Declaration of Independence. At the time it had a total cost of $15 million, and it was financed in three ways. First by a down payment of $3 million, in gold by the U.S. government, followed by two loans, one by the London-based Barings Bank, and one by the Amsterdam-based Hope Bank. The original receipt still exists and is currently property of the Dutch ING Group, which has its headquarters in Amsterdam.

Attached: SA_56435-Gezicht_op_Amsterdam_vanaf_de_Amsteldijk.jpg (1400x1110, 626K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wikiart.org/en/artists-by-nation/dutch#!#resultType:masonry
youtube.com/watch?v=DgaPOAxvfSs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

According to tradition, in 1626 Peter Minuit obtained the island of Manhattan from the Indians in exchange for goods with a total value of 60 guilders ($24); most aspects of the story have been called into question by experts.[19] Minuit, a Walloon, was employed by the Dutch West India Company to manage its colony of New Amsterdam, the future New York. The names of some other settlements that were established still exist today as boroughs and neighborhoods of New York: Brooklyn (Breukelen), Wall Street (Waal Straat), Stuyvesant, The Bronx (named after Dutch settler Jonas Bronck), Staten Island (named after the Dutch parliament, the Staten Generaal), Harlem (Haarlem), Coney Island (Konijnen Eiland, means "Rabbit Island") and Flushing (Vlissingen).
Several American presidents had Dutch ancestry:
Martin van Buren, was the eighth President of the United States. He was a key organizer of the Democratic Party and the first president who was not of English, Irish, Scottish, or Welsh descent. He is also the only president not to have spoken English as his first language, but rather grew up speaking Dutch.[20]
Theodore Roosevelt, was the 26th President of the United States. Roosevelt is most famous for his personality; his energy, his vast range of interests and achievements, his model of masculinity, and his "cowboy" persona. In 1901, he became President after the assassination of President William McKinley. Roosevelt was a Progressive reformer who sought to move the Republican Party into the Progressive camp.
Warren G. Harding was the 29th President of the United States (1921–1923). His mother's ancestors were Dutch, including the well known Van Kirk family.[21]

Attached: Jacob_van_Ruisdael_-_A_view_of_Amsterdam_1665-1670.jpg (2722x2819, 3.35M)

I like their artists, painters of the classicism style, a delight.

Franklin D. Roosevelt, was the 32nd President of the United States. Elected to four terms in office, he served from 1933 to 1945, and is the only U.S. president to have served more than two terms. A central figure of the twentieth century, he has consistently been ranked as one of the three greatest U.S. presidents in scholarly surveys.
George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, were the 41st and 43rd Presidents of the United States respectively. They count members of the Schuyler family and the related Beekman family among their ancestors.[22]

Attached: view-of-haarlem-with-bleaching-grounds-1665.jpg (867x970, 127K)

Somethings you Germans always lacked.

Like van Jacob van Ruisdael? This is the artist i posted.

wikiart.org/en/artists-by-nation/dutch#!#resultType:masonry

here is a list of Dutch painters

Yeah but the Germans had the bulk of great philosophers and composers And some excellent writers.

inb4 cherrypicked images of black dutch females

Well if you want to pick a fight, choose a better topic to fight about. Classicism style painters from Germany supercede yours not only in quantity but also in quality. They just complement each other perfectly, as we should be doing, Henk.

*blacked

Good read. Have a bump friend.

Attached: tower-mill-at-wijk-bij-duurstede-netherlands-1670.jpg!HalfHD.jpg (970x800, 102K)

Attached: 37049991_1786590208087453_8010713721913475072_o.jpg (1944x1296, 418K)

So what are you trying to accomplish with this thread? You want the burgers to say thank you or something like that?

Proud 100% dutch leaf here, married a dutch woman and produced 2 dutch children so far.

>Classicism style
Do you mean Neoclassicism?

Are you keeping any traditions alive in Canada?

Thanks bro.

The Raid on the Medway, during the Second Anglo-Dutch War in June 1667, was a successful attack conducted by the Dutch navy on English battleships at a time when most were virtually unmanned and unarmed, laid up in the fleet anchorages off Chatham Dockyard and Gillingham in the county of Kent. At the time, the fortress of Upnor Castle and a barrier chain called the "Gillingham Line" were supposed to protect the English ships.

The Dutch, under nominal command of Willem Joseph van Ghent and Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, over several days bombarded and captured the town of Sheerness, sailed up the Thames estuary to Gravesend, then sailed into the River Medway to Chatham and Gillingham, where they engaged fortifications with cannon fire, burned or captured three capital ships and ten more ships of the line, and captured and towed away the flagship of the English fleet, HMS Royal Charles.

Politically, the raid was disastrous for King Charles' war plans[1] and led to a quick end to the war and a favourable peace for the Dutch. It was one of the worst defeats in the Royal Navy's history,[1] and one of the worst suffered by the British military.[6] Horace George Franks called it the "most serious defeat it has ever had in its home waters."[7]

Attached: 800px-Van_Soest,_Attack_on_the_Medway.jpg (800x470, 140K)

Martin Bosma > Theirry Baudet > Geert Wilders

youtube.com/watch?v=DgaPOAxvfSs

Attached: fvd.png (1280x853, 830K)

Yes apparently i did. I stand corrected, thank you.

All garbage, VVD, CDA, D66 CU SGP are only none nigger tier parties.

PVV members are the worst politicians. I agree with many of their points but they are so bad in politics. Seriously, what have they achieved in the last 10 years or so? Nothing.

I will never forget how Wilders became invisible in the last weeks before our last election. He was leading in the polls for a long time. Almost as if he realised he could win so he backed of. Afraid to take responsibility.

I Can't say much about it but in general i am not a huge fan off Neoclassicism, i understand its academic value but i find the paintings to be kinda of boring.

The Dutch Empire (Dutch: Het Nederlandse Koloniale Rijk) comprised the overseas colonies, enclaves, and outposts controlled and administered by Dutch chartered companies, mainly the Dutch West India and the Dutch East India Company, and subsequently by the Dutch Republic (1581–1795), and the modern Kingdom of the Netherlands since 1815.[2]

It was initially a trade-based entity which derived most of its influence from merchant enterprise and Dutch control of international maritime shipping routes through strategically placed outposts, rather than expansive territorial ventures.[3][2] With a few exceptions, the majority of the Dutch Empire's overseas holdings consisted of coastal forts, factories, and port settlements with varying degrees of incorporation of their hinterlands and surrounding regions.[3] Dutch chartered companies often dictated that their possessions be kept as confined as possible to avoid unnecessary expense,[4] and while some such as the Dutch Cape Colony (modern South Africa) and Dutch East Indies (today's Indonesia) expanded anyway due to the pressure of independently minded Dutch colonists, others remained undeveloped, isolated trading centres dependent on an indigenous host nation.[3] This was reflective of the fact that the primary network of the Dutch Empire was commercial exchange as opposed to sovereignty over a homogeneous landmass.[3]

Attached: DutchEmpire15.png (1357x628, 28K)

The imperial ambitions of the Dutch were bolstered by the strength of their existing shipping industry, as well as the key role they played in the expansion of maritime trade between Europe and the Orient.[5] Because small European trading companies often lacked the capital or the manpower for large scale operations, the States General chartered the Dutch West India Company and the Dutch East India Company in the early seventeenth century.[5] These were considered the largest and most extensive maritime trading companies at the time, and once held a virtual monopoly on strategic European shipping routes westward through the Southern Hemisphere around South America through the Strait of Magellan, and eastward around Africa, past the Cape of Good Hope.[5] The companies' brief domination of global commerce contributed greatly to a commercial revolution and a cultural flowering in the Netherlands known as the Dutch Golden Age.[6] In their search for new trade passages between Asia and Europe, Dutch navigators explored and charted vast regions such as New Zealand, Tasmania, and parts of the eastern coast of North America.[7]

Shortly after reaching its zenith, the Dutch Empire began to decline as a result of the several Anglo-Dutch Wars, in which it lost many of its colonial possessions and trade monopolies to the British Empire.[8] Nevertheless, some portions of the empire survived until the advent of global decolonisation following World War II (1939–1945), namely the East Indies (Indonesia) and Dutch Guiana (Surinam).[9] Three former colonial territories in the West Indies islands around the Caribbean Sea—Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten—are retained as constituent countries represented within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.[9]

Attached: historia-e-paditur-e-New-York-ut-2.jpg (640x437, 43K)

Agreed

Dutch are good people. Other than the British, particularly the English, I think only the Dutch and non-Catholic Lowlanders should be allowed into this country. Huguenots, Saxons, and Danes also welcome.

>should be allowed into this country.
Without limits, I mean. Other Protestant North Sea people can come with limits.

Thanks buddy, enjoy this read if you dislike the English

I agree Protestants from the north Sea area, are the most civilized, they will not respect your culture.

Attached: 480px-Pre-roman_iron_age_(map).png (480x499, 91K)

Dutch are A-OK but you kinda smell like smelly old cheese

>dislike the English
I love the English. Nearly all of my ancestors are English, and the ones who aren't are Scottish or Dutch. I like the Dutch because they're similar to the English.
The North Sea peoples need to stick up for each other.

O sorry i miss read when you said other than the English. Yeah that s true we are probably closest to the English after the Belgians ( crypto dutch but catholic). But the dutch and the English always have had a rivalry exactly because we are so much alike. same with the germans

Thanks for making me hate your people. The American revolution was the beginning of the end for Western civilization. It is nothing to fucking praise or celebrate, nor is any revolution unless it is a counterrevolution. America and the ideals it supports are responsible not just for the breakup of the Russian Empire and the creation of the Soviet Union (Kerensky looked up to the American revolution and its founding fathers) but also for the destruction of whatever little tradition there was left in Europe, not just due to the fact that the French revolution was indirectly caused by the American one, but also due to Woodrow Wilson's actions as president. By that I mean the destruction of the Austrian Empire, spreading democracy and nationalism across all of Europe and destroying the German Empire only to establish an unstable regime that was overthrown by radicals which then went on to cause so much death and destruction in the world. The French and British are responsible as well, but the Americans exceed them both in this regard.

Come home, oranje man

Rivalry is good, hatred is bad, my blond friend. The North Sea is is the home of some of the greatest people in the world. Always be proud of the Netherlands, and appreciate what other North Sea peoples have achieved.

Over four centuries ago, the Dutch East India Company made history as the world’s first IPO.

Known as VOC in the Netherlands, the company was one of the most successful ventures in the last several hundred years.

When adjusted for inflation, its highest market capitalization would be worth over $7 TRILLION today (i.e. ten times the size of Apple).

More importantly, it completely dominated the Asian trade in the 17thand 18th centuries.

While the British East India Company is usually more famous nowadays, VOC had almost twice as many ships and moved five times more cargo than its British rivals.

The company was so successful over the long-term that it paid an astonishing 18% annual dividend to its shareholders for almost 200 years.

VOC HQ.

Attached: 330px-Oih1.jpg (330x210, 31K)

Haha i am not blonde my friend only as a kid, now its very dark brown. Yeah i sure do, My favorite countries are Denmark and England (before the collapse of the Empire)

Haha you do have a point, but the question if it wasn't inevitable. this democratic sentiment was lingering long before it came to be.

It really wasn't a thing until the 17th and 18th century. Yes, there were democracies in the ancient era and republics all around, but these were nothing like those that came as a result of the enlightenment. Revolutionary regimes will be destroyed, and from there we can rebuild traditional European monarchical regimes.

The way they transport the European spirit including their aestethics seem unmatched to me.

The renaissance brought back classical ideas of governance, its not like the ideas weren't circulating in and especially in Holland which was a republic from 1597 till 1795. everyone came to Holland to print their books freely.

Yeah from an academic perspective very interesting, i have to admit, and i do love to listen to people lecturing about them, but i wouldn't save them in a folder.

It was a mixed government of republic and monarchy, with the Huis von Oranje-Nassau and all. Pretty much the only post-Roman government that was like this, it's pretty interesting. It was nothing like the republics that were founded in the 18th and 19th centuries however. What defined a republic before then was drastically different, far more oligarchic and much less egalitarian. I like to call it the Venetian model but it really goes back to the SPQR.

Yeah that is basically what the US is today. very low social mobility, some powerful families.

In a way, yes. It got mixed together with the ideas of the enlightenment thinkers on the way though, so in regards to voting and the general political system it is far more progressive than the aristocratic/oligarchic model of Venice and the Roman Republic, at least de jure. It also is a state that is involved in numerous international organizations and conflicts, unlike the pre-enlightenment republics which usually looked out for their own interests first and weren't ruled by international elements. De facto however I would definitely consider the US and most of the EU stated oligarchies.

EU states*

Yeah thats how the US what the US set out to be a libertarian republic, but that system is vulnerable, now a day most political influence gets bought, and interest groups manage sub factions. i guess it is a new step in the evolution of a republic, on paper it seems more egalitarian than it is, which is a strength.