Why Did the Concorde Fail

That feeling when too young to have ever gotten a chance to travel supersonic.

Attached: IMG_0656.jpg (1024x687, 256K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a_wuykzfFzE
youtube.com/watch?v=VFWbuKr5-I8
aerionsupersonic.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Too expensive to maintain, wasn't really profitable.

Getting places slightly faster wasn't really worth the extra cost.

The Concorde was a loss bringer all along. Even at its massive price tag per seat, the maintenance and operations was massive.

Maybe at some point some person (not fucking Musk) will create a nice small supersonic mach 2.5 plane that isn’t that expensive.

Cost and I remember back in the 80s there was people bitching about the sonic boom it made while flying over or something like that. But make no mistake about it she was a fine aircraft and probably ahead of her time for that time period.

It was pretty much a gimmick. Supersonic flights sound cool but they are incredibly expensive. Also vulnerable design (shitty tires and exposed fuel reservoirs, see AF4590 disaster).
It looked nice though.

Attached: 1518155571759.png (1201x603, 559K)

Reasons:

>The sonic boom it created violated noise laws. As a result, it couldn't fly over domestic neighborhoods any quicker than most other commercial airliners.
>Its carrying capacity was lower than some Boeings. Meaning it was just as slow but couldn't carry as much weight.
>It was expensive.
>A few accidents lead to public mistrust and fear.

All in all, it was a sexy bird. I like the nose.

Jews

Cost. As a student working towards my ATPL, cost is everything these days. The halcyon times of aviation are LONG gone. In fact, many Ryanair pilots have had to declare low fuel emergencies on approach, that's how much the bean counters are keen on saving cash.

High cost to operate. Low payload. Most governments outlawed supersonic flight over land, highly restricting routes they could use.

An elegant machine and a piece of aviation history... but ultimately destined to fail before it ever flew.

Attached: looking for the truth.jpg (723x1024, 52K)

Yeah, if I remember correctly they hardly broke even and for the cost of flying in one you could rent a private jet for a little bit more.

because it crashed a bunch of times killing people

Sonic booms, very high ticket cost (i read somewhere it was about €9000 per ticket), incidents, high maintenance.
Supersonic transport can only be made commercial once boom-less supersonic travel is invented

>many Ryanair pilots have had to declare low fuel emergencies on approach
m8 that's just commercial aviation for you, fighter pilots might get to fly around with excess fuel but like fuck the jews are going to spend $8,000 per flight on excess fuel

Boeing had to cancel it's competitor 2707 program, giving Aérospatiale-BAC (Airbus predecessors) a monopoly on supersonic passenger travel. Boeing didn't like that so they lobbied Congress to pass noise regulations for supersonic flight over land. The resulting laws kept Concorde from entering the exploding domestic US air market, resulting in the loss of massive potential profits.

Attached: 2702.jpg (720x459, 44K)

freak accident and normies are dumb. my dad got to fly one over the arctic in the 80's or someshit. says its fuckin amazing

Russian bots were able to hack the jet fuel systems using a chunk of a McDonnell Douglas strategically placed on the runway by an undercover Putin operative.

Attached: 1530877383507.jpg (960x900, 74K)

Too expensive to operate and maintain, and was noise restricted to subsonic travel until well out over water, which reduced the time savings from supersonic flight.

A beautiful aircraft but in this case the technology transfer of WW3 Doomsday Mach 3 bomber to passenger jet simply didn't work.

Attached: XB-70.jpg (884x372, 32K)

Jealous americans tried to destroy it at every turn

US wouldn't let it go supersonic in its territory because they got butt hurt a foreign company did better.

Sabotaged by its competitors till it had to give up

Fuel usage goes up exponentially at higher speeds and so does cost

Concorde couldn't fly supersonic in European airspace either. If you've ever been underneath a large aircraft flying supersonic you'd know why. It was unsuitable for flight over residential populations.

This. Thing I noticed with some Americans they assume their technology will be better then get all spiteful when they are beaten. The Japanese and Chinese will just play harder and try beat you or steal the tech.
The Americans will try break your shit or buy it.
It holds true in business too

there was a thread about Concord in 2015. an older user was kind enough to find, copy & then post his menu and I think maybe the magazine from a flight he took on it. one of the best threads I've ever seen on Jow Forums since coming here eraly in 2014

It crashed because it hit debris on takeoff that started a fire and because it was loaded improperly it couldn’t get enough airspeed to get to a place to land.

This!

I have been under and behind such aircraft.
Its not really a thing that people make it out to be.

Yep, Americans would rather burn down the game field than admit they need to shape up and get good.
This is why Dark Souls is so maddening to them.

Yes, this!

>because it was loaded improperly it couldn’t get enough airspeed to get to a place to land.
>While two of the engines had problems and one of them was shut down, the damage to the plane's structure was so severe that the crash would have been inevitable, even with the engines operating normally.
It crashed because you needed to properly maintain your jets so that they don't drop fucking pieces of metal onto the runway

3 times faster, but also ten times the price.

"1 post by this ID"

Concorde only ever flew because it was heavily subsidized by the British and French governments. When Britain and France finally had to accept they were destined for Third World status, the subsidies for Concorde were some of the first things to go.

Attached: No future for you.jpg (964x615, 223K)

Excuse me bitch, i have 2 posts and now 3.
So take your whining Jewish nose and rub it in my ass.
You might find the edible gold in there.

>not fucking Musk
We need to get some kids stuck in a cloud.

youtube.com/watch?v=a_wuykzfFzE
youtube.com/watch?v=VFWbuKr5-I8
Supersonic flight is a meme. It's too expensive for what it offers. Three hours from NYC to London, while good, is still three hours. You're better off going on a 6 hour flight the previous night and just spending the night in London, than doing a 3 hour flight in the morning. If they could have done a one hour flight (think DC to NYC or NYC to Boston) maybe things would have been different, but the technology isn't there.

If you're rich, you'll be able to again soon.
aerionsupersonic.com

posts with American flag
>"they"
>"them"

Attached: Sid and Johnny.jpg (500x388, 29K)

Ridiculous. Pan Am, American, Continental, Eastern, United, and Braniff were all in discussions to purchase them. The deals fell apart when noise restrictions were put in place over the US, Europe, and the Middle East. It also had a maximum range of 4500 miles making it unsuitable for trans-Pacific routes like LA-Tokyo (over 5000 miles). There's only so much demand between JFK and London or Paris, which was all it could be used for.

Attached: 8F628CD6-5065-4B3E-9045-774CD53C02A8-2897-000004608294A58B.jpg (640x560, 77K)

CIA didn't like it, therefore (((they))) dumped something on a French runway and caused a plane to go up in flames.

We're working on these, can you not destroy them please?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine)

Thanks!

Well duh, this country hasn't been mine since 1964.

Any Concorde nerds here to confirm - I've read something about it being so expensive that if it only had 5 seats empty on its London - NY flight it would lose money, and it had to be full every day in order to make sense...something like that?

But I find that "profitability" shit the biggest (((meme))) - take a fucking look at Skyscanner and see how many pieces of shit are in the air THIS MOMENT...

You telling me they all make money? For what, for giving millenial barista faggots a roundabout ticket from LAX to Myanmar for $350?

That's profitable, right? 12 hours in the air burning fuel and it costs you like cpuple of sets of Camry tyres? Um sure, yeah, I believe it.

It didn't transport enough passengers to justify the cost of flying it.

You don't think it's a big deal (I really don't either if it's not constant), but test flights over Oklahoma City showed huge pushback from the public. The flights were done on a regular basis to simulate planned daily airline usage. It was a novelty for about one day, after that it soured quickly.

>dem delta wings tho ;_; love the looks

I've lived near a military airbase all my childhood and I can tell you Mirages and Rafales don't give a flying fuck going supersonic above residential areas.

I think there have been many "fake reasons" to discard this plane
It has been abandoned after the crash at takeoff in France in early 2000's
If you had to discard all planes that crashed once, you'd have to destroy 90% of designs

It's a large amount of things, noise/pollution and Americans threatened by it. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the CIA deliberately sabotaged the American flight just before the French one took off and went boom.

We're working on something cheaper, faster and better, no doubt the Americans will try to ruin that for us. Fucking yids.

Remeber, cellphones were a big deal before and people made sure cars could go no faster than cars before.
A lot of times its the "its new its different stop that before God is upset" mentality.

*horses
Cars could go no faster than horses
Granted there was also a point of forcing all cars to the same speed.

>There's only so much demand between JFK and London or Paris, which was all it could be used for
Concorde also flew out of IAD (Chantilly International Airport, also known as Dulles). But it was so ungodly noisy even at subsonic speeds it's unlikely it would be allowed to fly there today.

Airlines were unwilling to accept the full cost of running Concorde, which would include the structural damage to residences and businesses from sonic booms. When the government wouldn't subsidize those losses for them the business case for Concorde evaporated.

Concorde was also design crippled so it could only fly trans-Atlantic routes, and thus was utterly unable to profit from the trans-Pacific routes where its speed would have been worth the price.

Attached: Tu-144.jpg (3039x2400, 619K)

Some idiot didn't check the tires properly and they exploded and flew into the wing bladders during takeoff. Also the program was running at a net loss so it was a good excuse to ice it.

I’m glad they passed those laws. I’m glad every time the navy pilots accidentally cause a sonic boom they get chewed out and grounded. As someone who lives by an air base afterburners are annoying enough. Don’t get me wrong, the F-18 is a sexy aircraft. I’m just glad the keep it subsonic around my house.

>Sonic boom
Basically. Pilots weren't allowed to go at supersonic speeds until they were over the ocean.

One very public crash.
/thread

Fuck your house.
Sonic booms are the sharts of Freedom.
You will enjoy it like a good Amerishart.

The first and business class tickets make most of the profit. That clientele values luxury and pays thousands for the pleasure. La-Tokyo round trip usually costs between 13k and 17k.

SSTO is the future anyway.

>Once

It was the air travel industry's attempt at hyperloop.

Yes, and that's military, I've experienced it here even though there's a prohibition from doing it. Really wish they wouldn't lol.

Saw it flypast at an airshow in the late 70's, then we were let to walk inside later on.

Things were a lot more forward looking those days.

Stop crying, sonic booms are good for you, good for the economy and environment.

>profit from the trans-Pacific routes where its speed would have been worth the price.
Yes that really was/is the key to a viable SST.

lmao so is Detroit's water.

that filename tho... God save the Queen.

Underrated

You no complain, we concorde 2.0 now.

Attached: 1475598710243.jpg (297x308, 19K)

kek

how'd that turn out? i got busy and stopped checking the threads, they get em all out without losing any?

Yep, and Musk called one of the lead divers a pedo for not using the useless Muskmarine

hah yeah i did catch that part. coach make it out ok too?

never knew about the neighborhoods in the +3000 mile crossing of the Atlantic ocean

Flew it twice, Paris - NYC- Paris. It was pretty much a fast narrow body jet that is pretty loud, meh tier comfort (pleb economy comfort for a first class price tag) and ok tier service.

All of them did except for the SEAL Saman Kunan.

>Supersonic transport can only be made commercial once boom-less supersonic travel is invented
Wut?

>Why Did the Concorde Fail
It blew a tire.

>many Ryanair pilots have had to declare low fuel emergencies on approach
The cost of a flight is affected by how much weight the plane is carrying.
Hauling extra fuel costs extra.
The idea is to get to the gate just as the engines starve.
>I want to die with my last check being rejected for insufficient funds.

>when people from London shit on your northern city
It's no jewel but there's less darkies about