Bible Translations

What translation of the Bible should I read and why? I am Protestant but I'm open to other Christian faiths. I've read King James Version (KJV) all my life although lately I've been interested in Douay–Rheims Bible (DRB).

Attached: 56893234.png (600x600, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iyF8NDg63dE
youtu.be/d07mgLoOW8g
youtu.be/95jVcYhlTP8
newyorker.com/magazine/1955/05/14/the-scrolls-from-the-dead-sea)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yodel SAGE hoooooooooooo!

New World Translation if you actually want to understand what you’re reading and not feel like you’re in high school lit class

Stop spamming the same thread over and over retard

youtu.be/iyF8NDg63dE

Attached: soon.jpg (3440x1429, 2.21M)

niv
you are Jow Forums, so you are probably pretty dumb. Definitely a lot dumber than you think you are. KJV will be too much work. NIV still reads well, and is easier. It doens't matter, you'll only read half of genesis then claim for the rest of your life you've read the bible.

Sage hasn't worked for years newfag
I'll look into it thanks
This is the one and only thread about bible translations I've ever made, it's also the only thread I've made today. So who's the retard?

>KJV will be too much work.
Yet I've already stated I've read it all my life. Is reading comprehension too much work for you?

congrats at reading half of genesis

Holman Christian Standard is easy to read and grasp. Learned quite a bit in terms of Hebrew cultural meaning of verses common modern Christian viewpoint from it's study Bible.

As for other Christian viewpoints look into the Messianic faith. Basically Christians that hold onto Hebrew practices like following the Hebrew feasts that God says to follow in the Torah vs the pagan holidays that most Christians observe.

I don't think it makes much of a difference. No translation is perfect. KJV-onlyists are wrong when they assert that everyone would agree with them about everything if only they also read from the one true KJV Bible. But I am Catholic so I like the Douay-Rheims. Also, there are two versions of the DR bible, the "Challoner" version that most are familiar with, and the original version, which reads very differently and is plastered with polemical anti-Protestant notes. If you want to read a unique translation for change of pace, you might have fun tracking with that.

"Messianic Christianity" (i.e. Judaizing) only makes sense if you disregard half of the New Testament.

>i am protestant

Attached: 1528597634491.jpg (600x532, 40K)

You mad that you have to cuck to a pope rather than commune with God directly?

Attached: Martin Luther Pepe.png (500x500, 28K)

No lie, I feel as though everything will come to a head in the Middle East. it seems it always does.

Your only insult is a baseless assumption and you keep repeating it.

Attached: 14783683.jpg (647x451, 30K)

Let's be honest, the most important thing of all is the core message.

It's impossible to translate directly without error. Do you want to read a translation for the culture of it, or do you want the most accurate possible translation? If you want the most accurate possible to English, read the New American Standard Bible.

ESV, accurate and clear. The go to of theologians, at least in the christian universities I know of. Shun any translation attempting to simplify for ease of understanding. The flowery prose of KJV is nice but cluttered, do you want earthly prose or clarity of thought? ESV.

>pope
Not quite. Shitposting sectarianism aside, I'm glad you practice some form of Christianity. Even the most cucked pro-Israel LGBTQ tranny church is better than being a fedora tipper or a Mohammadean.

But you can still do better

Attached: become-orthodox_o_7194672.jpg (500x1072, 158K)

>t. papist heretic
don't you have some idols to worship and pray fifty times to?

I recommend an Ampflied Bible with a BLB and concordance, if you're considering serious study.

1560 Geneva Bible once you understand the English from that era it is really useful.

I use ESV for everyday reading, sometimes KJV or NASB

New World Translation is the work of Jehovah's Witnesses, a heretical sect that corrupted Scripture with false doctrine.

Nice try with the subtle evangelism, but you're not fooling anyone with your Trinitarian and christological heresy

Checked.
Don’t know what to tell you. You seem to be drawn toward the two versions supported by the two sects of “Onlyists,” one Protestant (e.g. American fundamentalists) and one Catholic (e.g. pre-Vatican II traditionalists).
I don’t think you should read Douay-Rheims unless you want to become a traditionalist Catholic. You won’t be convinced of traditionalism by reading that version of the Bible, though.
FWIW I’ve been enjoying my first read through the Bible with that version. It’s has some good commentary tying things to Jesus and the Catholic faith.
I’m halfway through Numbers. God just through a fireball at some sectarian kikes who were bad-mouthing Moses. Before that, he plagued all the meat he initially gave to certain kikes who were complaining about not getting enough “flesh” in the desert. Kek. Just finished up reading about God toying with a greedy soothsayer who was tasked with cursing the Jews by the King of Moab.
If Jow Forums only knew how based the God of the Old Testament really is.

Attached: C9984F97-7D83-4963-A1AC-BCC3F4F68E10.jpg (1700x2110, 747K)

I’m onto your tricks, kike.

This.
Right-wing Christians have more in common with each other than with the left-wing adherents of their respective denomination (Catholic or Protestant).
Still going to post the Eternal Virgin Mary until the protties see the error in their ways, though.
>inb4 Jesus had brothers! Mt 12:46!

Attached: D2603BB9-F00E-4D87-B44A-94FFEC36317D.jpg (986x1528, 462K)

>Eastern Orthodoxy
Son... youtu.be/d07mgLoOW8g

Attached: 13840A3D-5917-499B-A6E6-0AD622616C9B.jpg (1470x1866, 545K)

The new world translation is for those heretical jehovas witness- I grew up as one- beware of their tricks.

I like the nasb

KJV is the true inspired word of god, user.

SYSV or BSD only

Attached: 51g2-b-3lLL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (383x499, 34K)

Well, the good thing about the KJV Is that it is well documented. Strong's concordance allows you to easily check the original language. Plus the known errors (minor ones at that) are known.

This. It's KJV or nothing. Every other English Bible is the work of Satan.

This isn’t very Christian

>>inb4 Jesus had brothers! Mt 12:46!

This literally proves he has brothers , because right there he denies his family even mary

>Still going to post the Eternal Virgin Mary

>Eternal Virgin

New International Version
But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

New Living Translation
But he did not have sexual relations with her until her son was born. And Joseph named him Jesus.

English Standard Version
but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.

Berean Study Bible
But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a Son. And he gave Him the name Jesus.

Berean Literal Bible
But he did not know her until she had brought forth a Son, and he called His name Jesus.

New American Standard Bible
but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son; and he called His name Jesus.

King James Bible
And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Christian Standard Bible
but did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son. And he named him Jesus.

Contemporary English Version
But they did not sleep together before her baby was born. Then Joseph named him Jesus.

Attached: Screenshot_35.png (790x538, 830K)

Modern Literal Version, a crowdsourced translation that gave translators about 20 years to find any improvements. Uses the Majority Text. I would love to see anyone refute this translation: www.modernliteralversion.org

(New Testament only for now.)

Attached: 1500398552860.jpg (255x255, 14K)

>
That whole video is bullshit. Its assertation that the Orthodox deny the immutability of God is absolutely false, as is the claim that the Orthodox Church has created a 'second' God by way of the energies/operations, and is therefore polytheistic. I understand if you're skeptical of Hesychasm's claim to be able to physically see the light of God's energies, but to claim its somehow polytheism or denying the immutability of God is just grasping at some laughably thin straws.
That being said, you're right here . I'd rather be with Catholics like you than some hippy who converted" to orthodoxy becaus it looked exotic and special

Attached: catholicism-rules_o_7042133.jpg (720x495, 39K)

Dude, Genesis is easy. Try Isiah.

>actually liking a dumbed-down translation of your holy book

Howdoyoudo fellow Christians!
Check out my channel :)

What do you think?

youtu.be/95jVcYhlTP8

Hell is turned in to hades and Satan in to adversary ... shity translation

Attached: Screenshot_12.png (1228x832, 304K)

KJV is the best english translation. If you want to do better learn ancient greek.

koine greek that is

What's wrong with that translation?

Good point, lad.

wrong.

Douay-Rheims is good (I'm catholic but I honestly like the poetry of KJV). Otherwise idk, youll have to do your own research about translations from stuff like the Latin Vulgate and for old testament stuff you can start referencing all the way back to the dead sea scrolls.

(here's a good read form one of the foremost researchers on the dead sea scrolls: newyorker.com/magazine/1955/05/14/the-scrolls-from-the-dead-sea)

I'd say even modern Greek is probably better than English since translating stuff through time is much easier than translating across language and culture. If you're gonna learn Greek, I'd say learn the modern so you can actually communicate with Greeks, then start learning Koine to get the absolute best context

Get behind me Satan , Christians go to hell not hades

You searched for
"HELL" in the KJV Bible

55 Instances - Page 1 of 2

"HADES" in the KJV Bible
'HADES' in the Bible... No direct matches for your keyword exist in the King James Bible.

The Bible is originally polytheist. They translated the names of completely different gods as "God/He/etc." Elohim being one example.

The word devil is actually Greek and means "enemy". It's not exclusive to Lucifer so that version probably used "devil" and translated to adversary. And "hades" was just the Greek word for underworld and had the same negative connotation as "hell".

That being said I still dont like it. To people who dont understand the context of those words it is needlessly confusing and it doesn't add anything for people who do understand the context

this. KJV was written directly by the apostles before the creation of the English language. I especially like the part where it mentions "pisseth against a wall"

NASB is the best literal English translation.
ESV is a good balance between readability and modern textual criticism.
I still prefer KJV for daily reading, but it's important to have a modern translation close by to identify spurious texts that crept into the Byzantine manuscripts (e.g. Johannine Comma; longer ending of Mark; Pericope Adulterae).

>longer ending of Mark

Why would the longer end of mark be a forgery ?

The Great Commission

(Matthew 28:16-20)

>14Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. 15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

The Ascension

(Luke 24:50-53; Acts 1:6-11)

19So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. 20And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Mark debunks Christianity why would they do that if they forged it for pro Christianity purpose

I would watch out for interpretations of the Bible that are "topiary" (literally trimming hedges; basically focusing only on parts that fit a particular idea), as overall the Bible implies that your punishment at worst is being destroyed a second time ("second death"), not being magically kept alive to suffer for eternity (that unbiblical idea might have come from the goddess Hel in Nordic mythology). Just be careful, consider *everything* in the Bible, and try to stick to the original text as closely as possible. Goodnight.

Attached: Interlinear.png (932x136, 54K)

>Catholics are the schismatics

Attached: 1468618403824.jpg (342x342, 29K)

Hell is used in Christianity multiple times it js also referred as the prison of angels before the judgment

>I especially like the part where it mentions "pisseth against a wall"
This is a literal translation of the Hebrew idiom employed by the authors of the books of Samuel and Kings. Actually, I wish modern translations preserved this sort of flavor in the text instead of sticking it in the footnotes.

King James Bible
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

King James Bible
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Hell is kinda like heaven it has mutiple meanings heaven is sky universe and place of God

Amos 9:2 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:

Deuteronomy 32:22 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.