Politicization of unit systems

I'd like to have an effort thread about the usage of units. As an engineer, this is something I run into quite frequently so the calls from people for America to switch to metric is something I encounter often. With that said, I plan on going into detail on why the US Customary system is, in general, superior to metric.

Why is this a political issue? Control of the way people speak and think is obviously a good way to push a political agenda. For instance, does globalism become more palatable when we're already using a global unit system? Consider the way many globalists push for leftist systems in the US. "Every country in Europe does it!" is a refrain I hear frequently when discussing universal health care, for instance. While I'm not suggesting that the metric system is a gateway to globalism, I think it's important to keep the similar rhetoric in mind.

I want to start with the things that aren't really arguments. "Metric's units make more sense" doesn't really hold up. A meter isn't really inherently better than a foot or yard. Celsius isn't really any better than Fahrenheit. You can basically carry this through all the units. It gets really weird when you get into the electrical units. Go read up on what an Ampere is and tell me that is "intuitive".

I'll follow with things I think metric does well. Metric's standardization with prefixes obviously simplifies things. Milli- means thousandths. Kilo- means thousands. And so on. This ties in with how the simplicity of unit conversions, which is something I think most people who aren't college students rarely do, but it's still better in a lot of cases. Metric also makes some measurements easier. If I'm trying to precisely cut a piece of wood, for instance, millimeters for the board length and blade kerf are a lot easier to work with than inches and fractions - which can get down to the 64ths and be a bit of a mess to work with. I'd say the inherent benefits basically end here.

I'll continue in another post.

Attached: us vs world.png (926x1410, 574K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/section2-1.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So what does metric do poorly then? Its derived units are, in a lot of cases, a total mess. A Pascal is a unit relating a small force - the Newton - to a large area - square meters. This measurement is difficult to visualize, and for things like materials stresses, the measurements are given in the GPa range - that's billions by the way - which is just not useful if you actually need to think about things. If we're talking about atmospheric pressure we do away with the Pa entirely - it's superceded by the Bar, which is simply equal to 100,000 Pa. And even then the unit that's typically used is the millibar. Pounds per square inch is not only easier to visualize, but results in a more useful working range.

In automotive engineering, the concept of torque is something I work with a lot, both for the engine output and for tightening fasteners. Newton-meter is a goofy measurement for the same reason a Pascal is: it relates a small amount of force to a fairly large distance measurement. Foot-pounds relates a small force to a small distance, resulting in a more easily visualized unit that's easier to understand. It's also broken up more easily - specifying torques in in-lb or even in-oz isn't uncommon - I've never seen mN-m or N-mm.

Let's get to the meat and potatoes of this post then. What does this mean for the average American? What does the push for metrification mean for America?

To start, it represents a paradigm shift away from US exceptionalism. It's openly admitting defeat - that the way we communicate isn't as good as the rest of the world's. For leftists this likely represents a significant victory, because it gets people to question the rest of their world. If we were wrong on units, what else are we wrong on? It also gets kids questioning their parents even more - why didn't we switch sooner? Why did my parents teach me this apparently shitty unit system? From a political perspective, I suspect this is a significant portion of why so much time with metric units is spent on unit conversions. High schools and colleges hammer home just how easy it is to convert in metric to sell students on the idea. Too bad they don't point out any of the goofiness that the rest of the system has. You can always tell someone who spends little time doing something practical cheerleading for metric because they always come back to the unit conversions.

Next, metrification is yet another government program that we who pay taxes will need to fund. Street signs, maps, construction, on and on the list goes of things that will need to be converted over. This won't even benefit the average person because it's not like 1g is inherently better than 1Tbsp. The benefit to the typical person is practically nonexistent. Why, then, are liberals pushing so hard for this? Because it's yet another method for them to control the narrative, to control thought.

Attached: sdjAJrO.gif (500x246, 1024K)

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

For those who haven't looked it up, an ampere (or just "amp") is an amount of current that generates one coulomb in a second. So, one amp for ten seconds makes ten coulombs, two amp for one second makes to coulombs, etc., but what's a coulomb?
It's a unit of measurement equal to one second of current at one amp. Both units of measurement are defined by how they relate to eachother and seemingly nothing else.

Didn't read but you're wrong lol. Also cringe

Attached: 1499401659909.gif (524x399, 53K)

I knew the globalists were behind Metric. unironically based and redpilled

The complicated system of units was designed to allow the aristocracy an advantage in dealing with their "inferiors".
You should kill yourself for being a half-dicked jewnigger who thinks he's special.

Attached: 1531121493923.png (1440x748, 431K)

>It also gets kids questioning their parents even more - why didn't we switch sooner? Why did my parents teach me this apparently shitty unit system?

To follow up on this point, because I suspect a lot of leftists are going to read this post and think that conservatives want their kids brainwashed into their ideology (ironic), I'd like to explain that I don't think kids questioning things is bad. Adults should be able to explain things in the world to their kids, and should be able to communicate with them clearly and unambiguously.

But teachers and professors are authority figures in kids' lives: this is indisputable. For many children they'll be the most educated (and thus "smartest") people in their lives. The problem is that many of them preach a hypocritical ethos where their authority is unimpeachable while simultaneously encouraging kids to question the authority of their parents. Obviously this is horrid for familial unity. It's not a huge logical jump to notice that the rhetoric surrounding USCU being "bad", "for idiots", etc. will be linked by kids to their parents. "Why are my folks using gallons and feet when my teachers all say it's for morons? Maybe I need to spend more time listening to them." High school is full of these subtle revisions to what kids have been taught that results in them being unsure of anything other than their teachers' intelligence. Hopefully it's self evident why that's a bad thing.

>I'M NOT A SNOWFLAKE ANYMORE REEEEEEE
8/8

Fuck off, europoor-aspirant

TL;DR

Attached: 1528894792856.jpg (757x798, 168K)

It is very deeply ironic to say that the literal globalist system is actually NOT the tool of the Jews.

The argument over imperial v. metric comes down to appeals to aesthetics, essentially.

Once you accept that, you can stop fucking talking about it since it's stupid.

Only euros get triggered by it. I’m a geologist and work with both regularly. It’s not a big deal for us. Whenever some euro shows up, they get all bitchy because the maps are metric. One group refused to convert and wrote their report in metric then got mad when the client demanded revisions. Asians don’t get upset about it, they just convert. Only faggit ass euros take it personally.

We should be careful here. This is the (presented) argument, but I feel I've made the subtext of the push for metrification quite clear.

>muh subtext
>muh specialness
>muh being a contrary little four year old
Sure kid

Perhaps you could write something more substantial than this reddit-tier dreck you keep expelling into the thread. Or perhaps you could just return to reddit.

Your entire argument, subtexts and all, is that of a contrary child who thinks the rules don't apply to him because his parents tell him he's special. The analogy offers more than enough wisdom for those willing to grow some self-awareness and find out that they really aren't special after all.

>Your entire argument, subtexts and all, is that of a contrary child who thinks the rules don't apply to him because his parents tell him he's special.
Notice how quickly this redditor jumps to me being a child - this is a common refrain among metric proponents, that everyone who doesn't support metrification is an idiot who should be ignored. Metric is always presented as the "smart" option for reasons I've already explained.

>pounding the table
Most people would agree that a desire to distinguish oneself from others through meaningless self-imposed handicaps is an immature, thoughtless, and perverse response to the recognition that other people exist. Do you not agree?

The idea that USCU is a handicap is pushed solely by metric proponents. Millions of people in the US use USCU everyday with no issue. The average person gains nothing but expense from making the switch to metric because, as I've repeatedly pointed out, there's nothing inherently better about meters. Which then begs the question: why are liberals so desperate to switch?
What metrification does represent - and something (((you)))'ve been conspicuously quiet on - is yet another opportunity for globalists to control language and thought, to drive another wedge between children and parents, to unify speech towards the global paradigm.

>Using a different unit of measurement than the rest of the world is the last levee holding back the tide of globalism

Imagine being this much of a brainlet.

Perhaps you should return to reddit until you learn to read:
>While I'm not suggesting that the metric system is a gateway to globalism, I think it's important to keep the similar rhetoric in mind.

the metric system was designed by kikes

Attached: Yuropoors Abosolutely BTFO.jpg (644x1078, 174K)

>is pushed solely by metric proponents
Not an argument.
>Millions of people in the US use USCU everyday with no issue
Not when they have to interact with the rest of the world.
>there's nothing inherently better about meters
Other than being able to get a better sense of very large or very small quantities. You appear to be ignoring this, perhaps because something about your position requires the general public to have an inability to conceive of very large or very small quantities.
>a system of units controls language and thought
You're only bitter because you're being deprived of your secret code.
>to drive another wedge between children and parents
If you can't into metric by now, you are literally the problem. Parents can just as easily learn this shit if they're not so far up their own ass.
>to unify speech towards the global paradigm
Now I know you're baiting. Good night.

>Not an argument.
Sure it is. It's part of the overarching liberal narrative that liberals are smart and conservatives are dumb. Which makes sense because metrification is pushed by liberal teachers in liberal institutions where they're authority figures.

>Not when they have to interact with the rest of the world.
The vast majority of the US has essentially no interaction with the rest of the world

>Other than being able to get a better sense of very large or very small quantities.
What do meters do that make them inherently better than feet for this?

>If you can't into metric by now, you are literally the problem. Parents can just as easily learn this shit if they're not so far up their own ass.
I'm an engineer, I use metric all the time. Liberal teachers use it as another angle where they're right and anyone who disagrees - this would be the parents - are wrong. I know this because this was basically exactly how it was sold to me when I was in high school.

>Now I know you're baiting. Good night.
Notice how you didn't actually write anything of substance or worth reading. Begone rabbi.

As someone that uses both systems, I have to agree with OP about metric lacking any inherent superiority. I'd like to remind people that a system of measurement is an arbitrary tool used to make practical life easier. Most people will use it to estimate the size of an object, or construct one. In my experience, inches and feet are better for general uses, while centimeters and millimeters are better for more concise tasks, but I rarely use the meter. Simply because in most situations of daily life I find it too large. I will also like to state that I think yards are largely useless though.

>clinging to a retarded system that fucks your industry and economy over instead of adhering to standards the entire world has agreed on is actually american exceptionalism

What the fuck.

>This won't even benefit the average person because it's not like 1g is inherently better than 1Tbsp

Yes it fucking is, holy shit. One is a measurable amount the other is a bad estimate.

>as an engineer
If you were one you would use the scientific notation and the "useful working range" argument become moot.

>get a better sense of very large or very small quantities
SI is for abstract shit involving physics, except for Celsius which is like an old vegetable in a coma. Just fucking pull the plug already and embrace Kelvinism.
USCU is for building a house, cooking a meal, or deciding what to wear outside.

>Yes it fucking is, holy shit. One is a measurable amount the other is a bad estimate.
Incorrect, but unsurprising.

The goal of using a unit system is to communicate ideas effectively. When I say psi or Newtons or whatever I'm using a (hopefully) mutually understood reference system.
The problem with a lot of metric units is that the combination of the base units from which they are derived results in units that aren't useful - like the Pascal or the Newton-meter - because of disparities in the base units. Good units systems, like the USCU, mix similarly "sized" units - like pounds and the square inch - to create their derived units because it makes the result more useful.

>a bad estimate
Hi Faggot. A unit is by definition not an estimate. I’m so sorry they banned gender studies, but I’m sure you’ll find another program that suits you just as well.

Nigger

>similarly "sized" units
It’s not just the mix, it’s the units themselves. USCU units are human scale, SI units are earth scale or even more abstract. All these idiots have to do is slide the exponent scale so all the units are relatable and I’d be all on board for a globalist SI.

Base 3 multiplier
/thread

Attached: 1525476461869.jpg (500x276, 43K)

sorry to hear about your webbed fingers

Lol yuropoors measure weight in kilograms and joke about amerimutts being dumb. The absolute state of yuropoor education. yuropoor, not even once.

Attached: DampHeftyIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif (220x240, 761K)

Thomas Jefferson invented metric system. Not a globalist.

boy, usin' Celcius and the metric system don't hurt nobody. I use celcius. I still do write in the M/DD/XX format though

sorry to hear you also failed acting class. Are you on patreon so we can at least help you feed yourself? I love all of Jow Forums’s creatures

>SI units are bad because I can’t intuitively comprehend it
That just means you have low spatial IQ

Underrated, love it

great, now it’s overrated, thanks a bunch you selfish ass

Thomas Jefferson was like the ultimate globalist. He was literally part of a foreign country trying to take over a new continent.

Again we see the deluded metric supporter referring to everyone who doesn't support (((their))) global platform as an idiot.

>tfw engineer undergrad
>have to use both SI and imperial because paranoid americans can't be bothered changing systems
>they come up with bullshit reasons like 'it scales poorly' or 'its not intuitive' or 'its the jews'

>Again we see the deluded metric supporter referring to everyone who doesn't support (((their))) global platform as an idiot.
so is this about metric being bad or about """"globalists"""" trying to force it? Because so far you've been trying to prove [unsuccessfully] how unreliable SI is but what you really mean is that you are afraid of a globalist conspiracy.

The scalability of SI is irrelevant outside of physics. You’d be better off advocating for universal Esperanto adoption.

It’s both. Metric is a bad system for the reasons I’ve laid out and is being forced on the US by globalists, some of whom (like you), are posting in this very thread.

I understand the metric pill is hard to swallow, because you’ve been raised on it your whole life. It’s been drilled into you by authority figures for your whole life.

one of the better redpills I've seen in a while

>some of whom (like you), are posting in this very thread.
yep, you found me out!

>I understand the metric pill is hard to swallow, because you’ve been raised on it your whole life. It’s been drilled into you by authority figures for your whole life.
I was raised during the transition between imperial to metric, so I knew how fucking stupid imperial was and still is. Most of the authority figures in my life (my dad and my white teachers) were still going on with imperial for the next decade before they switched.

>my white teachers
C'mon schlomo you're not even trying at this point.

>literal globalist system
Holy fuck you're an autist, it is simply a superior and more accurate system. Are the universal numbers we use now a globalist system too you retard?

oh thats right, you've never had white teachers in your life. It was always the fat jewess or the asserting brown latina or the proud black women that sat in the teachers chair all your HS life.

Pity, really.

>more accurate
why are all the gender studies children posting ITT?

Canada uses feet for pool depth and lbs for weighing fruit.

Take note everyone. Metric is so superior this guy can't name a single thing about it that's better than USC that I haven't already mentioned.

>I-I'm definitely white goy! E-ven my teachers w-were white!
Just shameful. Go read the Torah.

hit a nerve didn't I?

>Y-you're mad!
Oh my goodness.

Exactly. Humans have senses that are fundamentally logarithmic. Metric doesn't respect this fact. This is why you see many Burger engineers complain about metric for doing back-of-napkin calculations.

In the US, we have 1", 1/2", 1/4" 1/32", 1/64", etc... A logarithmic progression.

In metric, you can do:
1m, 0.5m, 0.25m, 0.125m, 0.0625m, and it only gets fuglier from there.

Metric is good because its units are derived from other units and physical standards. Imperial units are good because they reflect how humans actually experience the world.

Euros hate anything but metric because they never learned how to use more than one system of units, and have never seen a slide rule. Take away their calculators and computers, and they are fucked. Their glorious metric system will log-jam most of their brains if they don't innately know how to long-divide. Base-10 is a shitty radix for common factors. You get 2, and 5.

In the US, you get 2, 3, 4, and 6. Which makes mental arithmetic much faster and safer.

Attached: 1533928949619.jpg (600x750, 60K)

Its better to tell a woman i have a 10 inch dick rather then 25cm one. Metric is for nerds

Non-Americans, being essentially 100% globalists, get violently angry when their paradigm is challenged as well. Just this thread has Australians, Costa Ricans, Britons, Finns, and a few others raging about how "retarded" we are for using a system where the units are intended to actually be used.

A "spoon" is not a unit of measurement. Its a random ass spoonful of something. A gram is a defined, concrete unit.

Is this some kind of retarded shitposting?

>The problem with a lot of metric units is that the combination of the base units from which they are derived results in units that aren't useful

I was once in the DMV renewing my driver's license with a friend who was bitching about imperial units and said "Why don't we just switch?". I gave her this demonstration.

When it was my turn in line, I refused to communicate in imperial units. I was asked for my weight/height. Replied:
>88Kg / 191cm

It took 5 people and an internet connection for them to comply with state law and record my true weight/height. I even gave them the conversion factors, and they could not figure it out.

So you see.... Some of us are smart enough to know how to do the dimensional analysis on units, and we don't give a damn what units the problem is in. I do things like quote torques in terms of picograin-lightyears to see which of my teammates aren't worth relying on.

Most people are too dumb to use a system of units they weren't raised with. Those people are better off with a unit system that more-closely matches their biology and psychological architecture (imperial). Otherwise, units and numbers have a diminished impact on making their lives better.

Forcing normies into metric is like giving them mass in Latin. Closer to authentic? Maybe... More useful than vernacular? Dubious...

Attached: 1533752648619.jpg (579x960, 130K)

Imagine being educated this poorly.

Not bringing up that 12 has six factors (1,2,3,4,6,12) while ten only has four (1,2,5,10) this is the sole reason metric is inferior, but only in some cases. Also 1/3rd of an inch is easier to work with than 3.3-> mm

If they give us shit for being monolingual. I will give them shit for not being able to work with more than one unit system.

In chem class, I had to make a silver nitrate solution for a european lab partner. I gave him my prepared solution with a concentration stated (and worked out) in units of troy-oz per fluid ounce. He never gave me a hard time about units again.

Attached: 1533353023070.jpg (552x510, 37K)

This is the grandstanding level of American education. Bravo.
Even the fucking basic (and they're not the ultimate) particles of an atom, protons and electrons are given their + and - charges by conventions. Each and every formula and derivation relations etc account for all that and work accordingly.
There are conventionally 7 fundamental quantities, which in the SI system are,
Ampere (Current)
Kelvin (Thermodynamic temperature)
Mole (Amount of substance)
Candela (Luminous intensity)
Meter (Length)
Kg (Mass)
Second (Time)

Attached: 1528215406363.gif (540x303, 627K)

>I'm an engineer

Experimental physicist here. Everybody just uses whatever's fucking convenient. We live in an era where everyone and their mother has a computer in their pocket that can do unit conversions on the fly, so if you feel like measuring temperature in eV instead of C or measuring pressure in mTorr instead of Pa, go nuts.

Note that he doesn't actually explain anything here, just declares that his side is better because of, like, electrons or something.

Metric is the same as saying CE instead of AD for dating. It's fedora autism. You don't fix what ain't broke. Christ is Lord, forever and ever.

What race of people has entire systems changed because it offends them?

Attached: 5f8efb09c1533d139a21d774c54c9c19aba3672601c61e1ca9ad56049fbde8a9.jpg (2005x1221, 355K)

>For those who haven't looked it up, an ampere (or just "amp") is an amount of current that generates one coulomb in a second.
That is not how the ampere is defined:

bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/section2-1.html
>The ampere is that constant current which, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross-section, and placed 1 metre apart in vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force equal to 2 x 10^–7 newton per metre of length.

I ostentatiously use imperial units at every opportunity
This is angloland, not europe, stop pushing for metric
(Englishman here)

I literally just googled that shit. The definitions it gave me for both units described them in reference to eachother. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I assumed that was actually how they were described. According to , the reality is migraine inducing for completely different reasons.

Good lord you are bad at your own system!

1 Ampere is mathematically equivalent to 1 Coulomb per second.

Your contention isn't ill-founded. If I need a unit system that is anchored in direct relationships to the physical world I will use SI. Fuck yeah, SI. 1g h2o @1-deg C = 1ml = 1cm^3. Utterly simple and one of humanities hallmark intellectual achievements. But less useful than imperial if you DON'T need that solid an anchor.

In metric, you can't use successive approximations to estimate the world. You are OBLIGED to measure it for good results. In imperial, I can eye-ball to an accuracy of 1/16" across a range of 12'. For you metric tards, that's an accuracy of 1 part in about 2300.

If all you knew was SI, you'd be pulling out your tape measure and calculator while I was already on to the next problem.

I don't need my units to be derived from physical reality to have useful units. So why not have units that are convenient for my scale in the Universe? Metric has no respect for this question. Actual "usage" is more lowly-ranked in its value-set.

Attached: 1533749262605.jpg (717x824, 115K)

If this induces migraine to your american-education hardened 'engineer' brain please don't ever google how a second is defined. Or any other unit.

Quick reminder that none of the metric jews in this thread have put forth an argument anybody has found convincing.

They can't. They are literally arguing either....
1) A point we don't contest.
or
2) That mass ought to be given in Latin even when the populace doesn't speak it.

Doesn't matter. They'll continue to fail my picograin-lightyear test, and I'll hire you instead.

Attached: 1533187277711.jpg (960x714, 33K)

>I literally just googled that shit.
And then believed whatever the top google result was?

> According to , the reality is migraine inducing for completely different reasons.
That's... really not very complex.

>1 Ampere is mathematically equivalent to 1 Coulomb per second.
Yes, but that's not how the Ampere is defined.

>But less useful than imperial if you DON'T need that solid an anchor.
Why? I hear people the claim that the imperial system is "more useful" a lot, but none of them can support it beyond simply being more familiar with other systems.

>In metric, you can't use successive approximations to estimate the world. You are OBLIGED to measure it for good results. In imperial, I can eye-ball to an accuracy of 1/16" across a range of 12'. For you metric tards, that's an accuracy of 1 part in about 2300.
What does any of the have to do with the choice of system? Your ability to estimate lengths is obviously not tied to your choice of how to describe those lengths.

>If all you knew was SI, you'd be pulling out your tape measure and calculator while I was already on to the next problem.
Why do you believe this?

>So why not have units that are convenient for my scale in the Universe? Metric has no respect for this question.
I'm going to assume you've never actually met someone who uses the metric system. If you had, it would have been immediately obvious that they tend to use "human scale" prefixes for non-technical work.

Based Aussie.

I don't bring up any arguments for the metric system because I literally don't care what unit system you americans teach to your children in the states.

I'm just saying that if you literally have no clue how the definition of unit systems (in general) works you're obviously not an engineer. Or at least, not a good one.

Also pulling out the'everyone who doesn't agree with me is a jew' meme is not an argument.

>support it beyond simply being more familiar with other systems.

In my prior post. Metric is base-10, and has "handles" at scales of 1000's. Milli, micro, nano, etc.

Imperial is NOT base-10, and it scales rationally, like your senses do. 1/2, 1/4, 1/128, etc...

A light emitting 1 watt, is not half as bright as a light at 2w. Your eyes don't work like that.

A pressure of 1000 pascals does not feel like twice the pressure as 500 pascals. Your skin doesn't have a linear response curve, either.

And because of that fact, our minds don't work in the linear manner demanded by SI. Any ability you have to estimate in those units is limited by how much you can (by an act of will) linearize your perceptions.

>Your ability to estimate lengths is obviously not tied to your choice of how to describe those lengths.
Wrong. I can measure length via trigonometry and angle, rather than direct distance. I might choose to do this if I can see the angle better than I can see the length. How I express it has consequences for my accuracy, as derated by my senses.

>Why do you believe this?
Mostly because I watch it happen at work all the time.

>you've never actually met someone who uses the metric system.
I was raised on both. I'm an engineer. I _need_ SI. My mom doesn't.

They only get prefixes in scales of 10. Your senses aren't base-10... You will naturally be better at estimating small distances than large ones (in any unit system). But it's much harder to be dividing by 10 to refine your estimate versus halving and doubling ratios. I can build a structure without ever using a decimal point. I can express my work entirely in ratios. You could, too. But you won't. Try it sometime. Metric makes rational expression of terms a fucking nightmare.

Attached: 1533348143368.jpg (480x480, 11K)

Too bad you're too much of a brainlet to get a migraine from high school physics.
I want America to succeed, but it's just gone and sad.

>I can build a structure without ever using a decimal point.

Holy fucking kek I'm out of here.

Why do you _need_ decimals, Hans? You know you lose precision when you round, right?

If you use decimals in your intermediary results, you are obliged to accumulate rounding error. It is not avoidable. Staying in rational form until the last step makes error analysis _much_ easier.

But you wouldn't know. You can't imagine life without a decimal point. You know no other way.

Attached: 4xpalmface.png (483x377, 204K)

What the fuck happened to this place?
Either there are literal fucking shills or retarded boomers and kids.
"The mind works more in tune to inverse of exponential multiples of 2?"
and how the fuck does 1/2, 1/4, get followed by fucking 1/128...?
Good lord I am honestly sad.
WE HAVE 10 fucking fingers morons. gaps of 10 are not only exponentially (no pun LUL) easier to calculate, not only is it literal worldwide scientific notation. 10 is what you fucking count on when you're a caveman. One finger two finger and such.

>In my prior post. Metric is base-10, and has "handles" at scales of 1000's. Milli, micro, nano, etc.
>And because of that fact, our minds don't work in the linear manner demanded by SI. Any ability you have to estimate in those units is limited by how much you can (by an act of will) linearize your perceptions.
You just described a logarithmic scale, and then called it linear. Also multiples of units are linear by definition. Also-also the imperial system works exactly the same way (and so suffers from the same "issue"), it just has inconsistent scaling between units with the same dimension rather than common prefixes.

You're horribly confusing a bunch of distinct ideas together.

>>Your ability to estimate lengths is obviously not tied to your choice of how to describe those lengths.
>Wrong. I can measure length via trigonometry and angle, rather than direct distance.
What does that have to do with anything?

>They only get prefixes in scales of 10.
Which is completely fine for human-scale work.

>Your senses aren't base-10.
Again, horrible confusion of distinct ideas. You senses aren't in ANY base. You're confusing the idea of expressing quantities of units with linear/logarithmic response.

>But it's much harder to be dividing by 10 to refine your estimate versus halving and doubling ratios.
What?

> I can build a structure without ever using a decimal point. I can express my work entirely in ratios. You could, too. But you won't. Try it sometime.
What?

>Metric makes rational expression of terms a fucking nightmare.
What the fuck?

All in all I think it's just a matter of simplifying communication with the rest of the world. Call me a globalist, but learning both systems just because your country is different seems like a pain in the ass to me. Average people may not have the need to know both systems but as far as I know engineers and students outside of the US are not required to pay that much attention to USCU, just because they don't use it that much when cooperating with someone from foreign countries or working in foreign countries. So it's really just your issue. And anyway, sooner or later you'll change your system to metric, it's inevitable. As for which system is better, there's no clear answer. For me, your system seems less logical and less intuitive.

So when you're going going to send fucking rockets to the moon you're going to limit the value of PI in your calculations to 22/7? you're going to remove the ability to have the results have decimals?
You're going to fucking measure body temps in fractions? you're going to calculate every fucking scientific quantity and leave it literally incomplete?
My fucking lord. I guess it's good enough to write gravitational attraction between two bodies as {[G(m1m2)]/(r^2)]} and maybe put in the values and be fucking happy about how smart you are about a LITERALLY FUCKING WRONG AND INCOMPLETE EQUATION.

That and also, these shills say that estimates are somehow superior to precision in engineering.

These are beyond fucking morons. I was never too good in maths, am CS but fuck me, this is plain ignorance.
Some faggot is arguing that we should stop having decimals altogether.
WHAT THE FUCK?

>What does that have to do with anything?

Because you can subitize numbers 7 or below reliably. But not as great as 10. Remember, guys.... our capacity to count is based on innate number sense that is only as good as "one, two, many".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing

So: no.... divisions of 10 is harder to proc mentally than divisions of 2, 3, or 4. This is not my opinion. Expressing those numbers is only "easier" in base-10 because that is the radix of the number system. It has no bearing on your senses and ability to mentally juggle quantities.

No one made that argument. My argument is: Imperial is better unit system for people that don't need to use the same units to measure things as large as stars and as small as atoms with the same unit. And that's nearly everyone.
That is: metric is a handicap that most of the world doesn't know that it has.

I know both systems of units. YOU guys are the brainlets from where I stand. So do us all a favor and have a calm argument without all the ad hominem?

speed of light in meters per second
latitude measurement of the great pyramid of giza

Pi is irrational. So 22/7 isn't any better than the decimal form. Start drawing a distinction between numbers you've measured, and numbers you handle internally.

IE, I have a thermometer that reads in deg-C. It doesn't matter if I take the reading in decimal because the error in measurement will be far greater than the error in conversion to deg-F.

On the other hand, if you needed to take 1/7 of the temperature (for some reason), you would better off expressing it as "37.1 / 7" rather than "4.443". In the first case, you've left it as a choice until later to lose information. If you convert to decimal, you ipso-facto make a value judgement (usually unconsciously) about how much of the number is important. See: Significant Figures.

Still with me?

There should be a sticky on the frontpage with an image displaying all logical fallacies
I'll give you a cookie if you recognize which one this post is

Don't be a lazy bastard. Most Brits can use both. Why can't you? After all, there's no reason to favour one or the other.