Proper wage for fruit pickers

I've got a question.

A lot of fruit picking work can only be profitable to the farmers if they hire people for below minimum wage.

But doesn't that mean that the fruit that gets sold isn't representative of its true value? That is to say, if farmers had to pay their pickers a minimum wage then the price of their fruit would go up.

The argument against doing this is that if they did, a lot of farmers would go out of business because no one would buy their produce. But should they stay in business? If a business can only survive because it underpays its workers, does it have a right to survive? Those fruits would still be in the grocery stores but just not as many because people would buy less of them (but people would STILL buy them just not as much). Couldn't those farmers then do something else with the land that IS profitable?

Just because you own a farm and a business should not guarantee that you succeed.

Attached: 1472778212337.jpg (1080x1080, 579K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7322T_FkHIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

holy shit, OP you've opened my eyes

we should start paying fruit pickers with no skills £ 50.000 a year so that they can afford to live comfortably

Minimum wage should not exist. If you have no education and choose to work for a shitty wage, then that wage is fair.

Most food is underpriced.

What is automation, faggot?

The Left give the argument that illegals must be imported to do the low wage jobs.

this

you need stable population for automation faggot and no one will invest in your factories in 30years and you know why.

In NY, Supermarket fruit and veg rots before you can eat it. Fucking pathetic.

Useless here since are you going to wait 60 years to get some nuts?

This is a meme that deserves to die. The markup on food is 90% big chains.

market wages for fruit pickers
your move, kike

kikes using flags today to creep in a little bit of gov commiepill
nice kikes, nice, you're really evolving your strategies at least

Stop larping. My family has a large farm. Without low wage fuckers, they couldn't afford the large tractors and the four houses.
Capitalism is build on extreme exploitation.
Go to Russia. 80% of the big construction projects are done by people from India, Bangladesh at all. for Cents to the hour. CENTS.
There is no $1 pound sack of tomatoes without slavery. The whole discussion about nice working conditions for whitey for $20/h is fake.
This will never happen.

Let the market decide.

>we should start paying fruit pickers with no skills £ 50.000 a year so that they can afford to live comfortably

WE don't pay them. Farmers do. If there is a market for $10/pundit of strawberries then yes, those pickers should be given at least a minimum wage. If there isn't a market for $10/pundit of strawberries, those farmers need to be doing something else.

Wage should be legally attached to the cost for the cheapest one-room apartment available in the city. Practical example: if you make 450€ a month picking fruit and the rent for one room is 350€, you cannot survive unless you go soup kitchen every day. So, either you enforce a lower rent or raise the wage. Considering point, I say lower the rent, and possibly seize apartments of people who refuse to comply. Most of the landlords are total kikes anyway.

That's how you obtain India.

>If a business can only survive because it underpays its workers, does it have a right to survive?
No. Also businesses that can only exist because of tax avoidance/evasion should also be dissolved

>farmers need to be doing something else

Like, not producing food for the population? Sound awesome, duuuuuude! Very progressive

It is a matter of national security.

If your farmers can no longer afford to keep farming and all of your food comes from other countries, the first thing that will happen is that the price of food will shoot up.

The second thing that will happen, is that in the case of a war you will have no food.

Yes, it means that the price of the good is artificially lowered
There are a few ways about it
1 - International trade, you can just buy fruits from places where super-low wage by your standard is a normal wage for your standard
2 - Optimization of the production cost, such as partial or full automatisation of caretaking, genetic modification of plants for bigger yields and resistances to diseases and such, switching to hydroponics and greenhouses and so on
3 - Inventing a complete alternative that can replace the original, really hard to make but can work like shown with coffee substitutes

Guest-workers can be concidered an optimization of caretaking, its undesirable not in this frame of reference but in more broad generic term though, since it has rather big and lasting side effects on society

farms have the space to give all the workers free housing and meals. they then can pay the workers whatever minimum wage is. that would be fair consideration for any worker. honestly i would work the job if offered that.

>attach wages to housing costs
You've got that the wrong way. Note that everything including food has become cheaper or remained the same for over a decade now - except for housing (and healthcare)
The RE market is dominated by banks, aka kikes, aka rent-seekers aka parasites. Destroy them and watch both disposable income and GDP skyrocket.

Why do people want to spend the smallest amount possible on the necessities of life? So they can spend it all on unnecessary shit they're conditioned to value.

People think their cheap cornfed meat is of the same quality as more expensive pasture fed meat when its not the case at all. We've been prioritising quantity over quality like Commies and then propaganda has been used to convince us we're better off for it.

There's your redpill, do with it what you will.

>what is the price consumers are willing to pay
No one's paying $8 for 1lb of strawberries automation is cheaper in the long run anyway

there is a proper wage for fruit pickers. about $11+ tax free off the books, commission per bucket/bin and per hr starting at around $17+ i've worked that job in nsw and qld and earned a living at it. it's hard but doable. you'll learn a lot too.

>Those fruits would still be in the grocery stores

Only if you could import food from other nations , if you allow your agricultural industry to die you put your nation at risk of famine and a lot of hardcore free marketers don't get that

But then again are there Taxes and regulation that run the costs of running a farm up ? Most probably yes so cut them and then they will be able to attract labour form the cities

And as a side note, farmers have to know a lot about their crops and care for their lands all year round, weeding, fertilizing, watering

but sure, if people have the skills to lift objects and put them in boxes we should definitely pay them £15 / hr for that

I mean, just fuck off and hunt / grow your own food then faggit

When theres no food people will start to pay for it more and youll be able to price your strawberry in such a way as to profit you

You are wrong. The margins on fruit are massive, and due to the scale that fruit farming is done on in corporate forms it requires cheap labor. Family fruit farms do NOT require cheap labor as the margin is there. The margins on corn, wheat and other grains are the ones that are so low that they require mechanization in order to turn a profit.

No, the true solution is to build up new cities. If place is scarce, than have more place in competition to it.
The government controls lots of things, like unversities. Move the university away to a new smaller citiy, Buy land before, so there is no speculation on it.
There are many things that can be done. We can go back to rent being $500 instead of $1500.

Famine wouldnt be as damaging as replacement of the population by foreign hostile elements

Society isn't ready yet. We are slowly moving toward it but we aren't quite there.

That, and do you understand how expensive it is to automate even a simple process like that? The companies and individuals who can field that kind of funding, use it on other things.

In the US, we pay about twice the market rate for sugar as other countries, due to very stiff taxes. That is why a lot of products here are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, instead of sugar.

>below minimum wage
>If a business can only survive because it underpays its workers
Hoppy what is this minimum wage of which you speak? How about if the fruit picker negotiates the best deal he can with the potential employer? Let the market sort it out.

automation is always coming, and has been since the cotton gin. It isn't hard or expensive to automate simple processes at small scale, it IS expensive and hard to do so at a mass scale.

tbqh, fruit pickers need to be paid more. farmers are going to simply have to raise prices and...
>1. go out of business because no one will buy
>2. get the government to subsidize them to high hell and back.
we're due for corrections everywhere. people need to pony up at the grocery, and that's about it.

people are willing to pay 4 times the cost if you stick the word organic on the package, so this talk about the cost of food is just retarded.

In our supermarket it's a loss-leader, the fruit aisle always lose money.

Welcome to agricultural subsidies. The free market would knock out most agriculture in first world countries, but subsidies transfer your money to these farmers who aren't efficient enough at all.
Without subsidies either
a) farmers would be forced to innovate to increase efficiency
b) if no innovation is possible, sell their land to someone who is able to make efficient use of it.

>WHNNYNsE
>WHINY
kek, what did you mean by this.

Some things will never be automated, this is as far as you'll go with automation

youtube.com/watch?v=7322T_FkHIY

I picked watermelons for a few days, my arms were rattling. This spares you some of the trouble, like having watermelons fly at your head, but you still gotta rip the shit off the plant and line it up, for hours.

Just because a business underpays its workers doesn't mean that it should go out of business. Nobody's forcing the workers to work for shit wages - if they don't like their wages - they can find a new place of employment. Government minimum wage only increases after average private wages go up.

And that’s why we have third world shitheads undercutting our labor force

the land would be put to better use, farmers whine as much as teachers and its fucking pathetic.
That land can grow plenty of other shit.
maize, wheat, hay, sod, walnut trees, etc.

No one even fucking needs fruit and fruit is typically far inferior to maize and potatoes for calories per acre.

Food is a strategic resource and any country falling for the trade meme is setting itself up for starvation or blackmail somewhere along the timeline.

The real issue is supermarkets wanting so much and not paying the farmers a fair rate.

Can't employ niggers to pick watermelons because they would eat them all.

I doubt you niggers do any of the picking yourselves.

pic of you

Attached: white-man-whipping-a-slave1.png (960x640, 831K)

>its fair and not exploitative to negotiate with third worlder's whose average IQ is at the cut off for white people mental retardation.

Lets make all fruit expensive as fuck so that the majority of the country can only stuff themselves with trash-tier food.

And the corn lobby is behind those tariffs. Also the domestic sugar lobby. And the Cuban lobby.

>HURR why dont we all just get doctorates
ditch diggers are just as important to a functioning society as heart surgeons you fucking idiot.

>needing to eat fruit
>ever
what are you on about?

>Like, not producing food for the population? Sound awesome, duuuuuude! Very progressive

Strawberries and vegetables are a food staple...

Attached: lookingatyou.jpg (630x547, 32K)

Most fruits are awful for you. The ones that are hand-picked, rather than just having a machine go and thresh them, are almost all awful.

maybe they are there, would explain why bongs are such fruitcakes and poofs.

People don’t remember, but there was a time when there were no fruit smoothies around, and fruit was generally sold in a seasonal cycle.

Today, people want strawberries and blueberries and asperagus etc. all the time. Why? I fucking have no idea.

As a kid, we used to eat oranges and apples and mandarines/clementines and nuts in autumn and winter. And strawberries and cherries in spring. And watermelon and plumbs and rasperies and blurberries in summer and early autumn. We had strawberries in the garden and blueberries and rasberies and blackberries in the forrests and hazelnuts and walnuts everywhere. As a small kid I even picked up wild herbs on the meddows for salad and my grandma took us kids to pick mushrooms. My grandpa backed his own bread and we all together made sour kraut from all the kraut my grandparents were growing in the back garden. We duck up carrots and horseraddish and other stuff I don’t what it is in English. We made soup with it, ate it raw, as salads. We got fresh milk from a local farmer and I ate my forrest picked blueberries in it. My grandpma also made pancake blueberries with the eggs from her own hens. And at night we were gazing at the stars in a clear sky where you could see thousands of them with your naked eye. Everything was illuminated from this star heaven. And my grandpa would go in the cellar to slice a heavy piece of Austrian self-smoked bacon from his backn storage and handed us each a piece with some bread.

Darn, fuck modernity. I want back to the 80s.

Attached: B1F670D7-8EC1-4E9B-8185-41E4159974DF.jpg (800x567, 148K)

What fruit pickers? Most pickers in a California are getting over $20 an hour due to mechanization of the farm industry. Anyone still using manual labor needs to be fucking shot for being a worthless backwards piece of shit diminishing America.

Attached: 0212ADC6-470F-4AE6-9142-3B736E7AE163.jpg (600x330, 54K)

doing most of that is illegal today. and where it is legal no one lives.
whether its food regulation or zoning laws.

What the hell? What of what I stated is illegal anywhere? Why should any of it be illegal??

Free trade is the answer. Mexico has a better climate for growing fruit than we do, and the Mexicans want to work hard for our dollars. Remove barrier's to trade and they can work for us, and stay in their homeland. This arrangement works to improve both countries.

--we also work hard for them, working hard for our $$$, to send them to pay for the fruit.

>fresh milk from farmer(food laws)
>chickens on property(zoning laws)
>garden on property(zoning laws)
>kids running around unsupervised

No water

You are a big gay faggot user.

I don't know about fruit pickers but most illegal immigrants here seemingly make much more than minimum wage. It's better to have circumstances that don't artificially suppress wages too far.

Can confirm.i have been trying to find raw milk source, total fail.

I even technically know a farmer, but he has no livestock, just growing fruits and vegetables.

Wow, really? In Austria fresh milk is legal and you can have chickens on your property... just like you can have cats and dogs. And obviously you can put veggies and trees in your garden and it isn’t anyone’s business where kids go at day.

Fruits are basically luxury food. They can hardly be mechanized in harvest and people don't really need them that much so greedy capitalists import slave labour to work for peanuts. It goes the same way in all agriculture, businesses want to cut into the money they pay farmers even when farmers get paid the least when it comes to the final cost of food. Our food is historically absurdly cheap due to oil making everything cheap.

That's funny because I've installed machines that pick and strip grapes built in the Nederland. I've installed machines that can strip entire oranges and apple trees without damaging them.

The machines exist and they're being mass deployed all over the US.

The fruit pickers are only a tiny portion of the jobs that illegal immigrants take from young and underskilled citizens, and its a horse shit talking point that ignores the number of jobs they take from the lowest in society.

If you go to any service industry where low skilled busy work is required, the back of a restaurant for example, you look around in our country, its uniish aged students primarily, in the US its spics, spics as far as the eye can see, all being under paid, paying little or reduced tax and also sending sizable portions of their salary home, out of the country. and on top the crazy bastards tip them taking more of the onus off the business to comply with law.
Basically the yanks have been hoodwinked by the Jew, get arsed fucked for the pleasure, then look for brown people to blame.

fruit pickers can go pick up dicks if they think they deserve better wages

Attached: 1422023093680.jpg (259x194, 17K)

I've seen this even in Buffalo.

Fruit picking is piece work there is no hourly base. Yes if you are slow you can make less than minimum wage but that's up to you. Work fast and you can make some good money. Best job ever picking grapes a a winery. If your really good you can make 30k plus in a season.

This.
Pay a fair price by quantity and quality and you'll have people falling over themselves for jerbs.

>If a business can only survive because it underpays its workers, does it have a right to survive?

Come with me on this free helicopter ride so we can discuss the matter in more detail!

Classic russky.

I'm only seeing Gmo crap that doesnt rot for weeks. Fuck the kikes

If one is willing to work for a certain amount of money why would you consider that amount as being to low,

Fact of the matter is that minimum wage fucks over low-skilled, low-intelect workers (niggers and spicks) or people that started from a lower socio-economic class because it robs them of the oportunity to learn on the job.

I got work experience by working as an intern but i had the fortune of parents willing and able to support me

the truth is that a highly stable, mineralized fruit or vegetable (most syhoppers have never seen one) is shelf stable because of the high natural sugar and mineral levels and the strong cell structure.

we have basically been going backwards, following the genetic and chemical twisting of produce instead of feeing the bacteria and fungi while using very little chemical input.

Carey Reanms showed the same watermelon for 3 consecutive years and it did not degrade visibly during that time. His model was high mineral and sugar content based on proper soil management

Attached: ok.jpg (480x360, 31K)

Half of such farms should probably fail.
Let people/neighborhoods grow their own fruit/veggies using permaculture methods.
Gives old ladies something to do.

Naturally, we'd have free access to food. It grows from the ground

There are 2 aspects to this problem.
1. The nutrition of the citizens. The more healthy high quality food (such as veggies and fruit) is made available at low enough prices for everyone to buy you increase the chance people from all social classes will eat it, and thus live longer and healthier. Which in countries with socialized healthcare and services make a big financial difference, sometimes big enough to offset farm subsidies.

2. Country's food security. A country that relies too much on food imports is in a difficult spot and has to rely on it's neighbours and their good will. Sanctions can cause famine in your country. Droughts and famines in countries you buy from will undercut your food market thus causing famine again. Your country can be influenced heavily by other countries the more it relies on them for its basic needs to be met.

>you deserve to work 60 hours a week or starve to death
lolbertarians, everyone.
>any government regulation is COMMUNISM
They really are the most autism-spectrum utopians.

>Nobody's forcing the workers to work for shit wages
The fear of starving to death is. All contracts in Ancapistan are based upon this coercion and are thus unethical and invalid.

>increase the chance people from all social classes will eat it, and thus live longer and healthier

Thus increasing the amount of time that the state has to pay for poor people. This is a poor argument for the quality of food.

Depends on the social benefits your country provides. In many cases money spent on medical treatment at the end of one's life is far greater than financing that person's food and housing for a few more years. Prevention is usually much easier and cheaper than treatment.
Similar situation happens in the US with death row inmates. If you were to just put a bullet in their heads once they were sent to death row it would cost very little. But due to the long legal process, extra chances of appeal, years of living on death row waiting for their execution it ends up being more expensive than life imprisonment.

It all comes down to how big the food stamps are, and how sustainable the agriculture is, as well as several other things. Speaking purely financially these solutions can be either good or bad depending on the surrounding circumstances.

Day one pf this policy, and the cheapest apartment's price will rise. Why? Because I'll know that everyone can pay for it - there'd be enough demand for me to throttle the poor.

China has been trying this for decades. It hasn't succeeded in convincing employers to move, resulting in ghost cities capable of housing millions of people, but incapable of sustaining a job market.

Look at what's happening in California. High prices are naturally driving people out. New cities will grow out of existing towns organically.

> "Price" something other than agreed value exchanged at time of purchase.

FOOD IS UNDERPRICED

LOOK UP THE COST OF FOOD IN SOME OLD CATALOG DURING THE 20TH CENTURY AND THEN PUT THAT PRICE INTO THE INFLATION CALCULATOR AND SEE HOW MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THINGS WERE

ULTIMATELY, IF WE WANT A HOMOGENOUS COUNTRY WE NEED TO ACCEPT PRICE INFLATION ON PARTICULAR GOODS

Seriously, go do it.

The politicians know that as soon as people start going hungry revolution quickly follows. Hence why foodstuffs were always subsidiized in totalitarian systems.

The bread lines only happened in Russia after the fall of the USSR

Attached: chart (1).png (680x383, 98K)

>The bread lines only happened in Russia after the fall of the USSR
More like you were allowed to take photos of empty shells after the fall of USSR.

Honestly if America was successful in containing China, it wouldn't be the largest economy in the world right now.

Your trade deficit, a result of your insatiable desire for consumption, fueled China for 30 years.

Entirely true. However, speaking from an American perspective, this notion is horrendous.

Consumer goods I can believe, but I don't think foodstuffs were in chronic undersupply until the early 90s.

Feel free to educate me Ivan

Someone always makes the decision, either private, public or the individual.

You think palliative care doesn't involve OD'ing on morphine? You'd be a fool not to

You are right about some things.

1. Yes our fruit is under-priced because we are allowing a special exemption to our normal wage laws.

2. Yes that allows us to be more competitive with other nations

3. Yes, a lot of farmers would be unable to stay in business with higher prices in the free market

4. No, that doesn't necessarily mean we should let them go out of business. A smart country ensures it is as self-sufficient as possible. We pay a relatively small price to ensure that we are not held captive by whichever countries "feed us"

>Romania joins EU
>big corps in Spain undercut Spanish minimum wage and social sexurity taxes by bussing in Gypsies
>fruit picker wage falls dramatically
>hurr durr we have to hire Romanians because the Andalucians wont do it for 20 euro a day
>meanwhile the Andalucian fails to find work in the regions traditional sector
Disgusting

Attached: 1534677719288.jpg (1200x562, 170K)

Yes and no. There's no money to be made in treating a dead person. Around here, keep a machine breathing for them as long as possible /while/ feeding them morphine.

It's the only dignified way to die. /sarc

>Feel free to educate me Ivan
And what exactly do you expect from me? Using stats provided by commie government, which was pretty much pulling numbers out of its ass, just like the current government does?
If the citizens were well fed, 91 wouldn't devolve into a glorified gang warfare.

If indentured servant / slave level wages is artificially suppressing the price of produce, then the price of produce should increase.

People will pay for things they want and need. You know why plumbers make 70-100 bucks an hour? Because people need to drink, shower, and to shit. Life kinda sucks if you're not able to do those things.
City dwellers (i.e.) consumers will literally starve if not for agricultural workers they'll never know, in states hundreds of miles away; maybe it's time to pay them fairly for the service they provide? Either that, or bus starving city apartment dwellers out to the county around harvest time, for a bit of good old fashioned sharecropping?

Attached: 1535324223800.jpg (480x910, 39K)