Will English remain the "global language"? For how much longer? Chinese is becoming more important...

Will English remain the "global language"? For how much longer? Chinese is becoming more important, but the character system simply makes it impossible for most people to learn in a timely manner.

Attached: Portugal Rankings.png (1430x1080, 957K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_as_a_foreign_language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

guess it depends on the chinese learning english or not.

It will remain as the business language, since it has the simplest grammar a written language currently can have
It's easier for a non-speaking speaker to learn English than the other way around

I've been told that Chinese is even simpler if you ignore the writing system. I've been reading that many young Chinese are unable to write many characters because of their practically phonetic keyboard input system. And I don't see that losing momentum any time soon. That in mind, give them a few decades (enough time for several generations to grow up using digital devices) and Chinese is one Party decision from having a phonetic, modern writing system.

I don't say it's bound to happen. But its not as impossible as people think.

>Will English remain the "global language"
Yes, because it's extremely simple to learn, compared to any other languages. Very few languages have simpler grammar. Also, it's the most wide-spread language on our planet. Can't see how that can change in our lifetime.
>For how much longer?
For as long as the Anglosphere rules the world
>Chinese is becoming more important
No, it's not. Barely anyone speaks chinese outside of China.
Also there are 1,121 billion English speakers in the world (including L2 speakers) and 1,107 billion Chinese speakers (the majority of which are people who live in China).

It’s going to remain. Most people here need to know English because of the linguistic diversity. I can’t understand even one sentence of Tamil or Malayalam. Hindi might have been the lingua franca for a lot of time in North India and Pakistan (and still is verbally) but the split of Hindi into Hindi and Urdu weakened the linguistic dominance, and South Indians don’t want to learn Hindi, eventually we’re going to reach about 80-90% population with L2/L1 as English totalling about 1.4 billion L2+L1 speakers at peak projected Indian population (1.7 billion, 2040).

Why are mexicans so bad at English?

I mean they're bordering the USA and a lot of them migrate there, so it'd make sense that a lot of them would learn English right? also they consume american tv shows and shit I suppose?

I know English/Spanish/Mandarin/Russian and Spanish is the easiest by a considerable margin

Chinese is fucking hard, don't do it unless you really need to

Attached: 1506148334164.png (750x1334, 1.19M)

>Barely anyone speaks chinese outside of China.
But those that do can supervise their offshore supply chains much more effectively.

That's still less people than people who speak Lithuanian

>mandarin is the easiest by a considerable margin >chinese is fucking hard

They do, but they can't speak unless they have lived in an English speaking country. I've met English majors in China, they had trouble churning out intelligible sentences because they never practiced English. I guess they are also cut off from English speaking media, so they won't improve.

Chinese is easy, but you can't ignore the writing system, not because that would make you illiterate in the language but simply because you won't manage to separate vocabulary from other homophones. The syllable "shì" has about 40 different meanings depending on what character you use to write it. Using phonetic script only and learning only the meaning won't get you anywhere if you are serious about learning anything beyond "Hello", "Thank you", etc.

>a phonetic, modern writing system
Won't work. They have tried this multiple times during the 20th century, even printed books and newspapers with "phonetic" script, it never worked. It's an unintelligible mumble that comes out and would reduce Chinese to joke, effectively banning its usage from science, arts and politics.

Forget about chinese and start learning catalan, the future lingua franca, you just wait
Once USA becomes spanish speaking the elite would need another language to separate themselves from the plebs so they will choose catalan and from that it will expand globally

Chinese has an easy grammar, but a difficult pronunciation system and an even more difficult script.
Grammar is like : "Yesterday I eat dog". and "Yesterday eat dog is delicious". There is little morphology to it.

The big issue is getting your pronunciation good enough to be understand. "Panda" and "chest hair" sound almost the same in Chinese, except for the intonation (tones). It's shit when you date a Chinese girl and ask her if she likes pandas, and she understand chest hair, to make up a contrived example.

Besides, Chinese vocabulary is terra incognita, there are now Latin-Greek words that you can build on, like "majority" is "majorité" in French or "society" is "sociedad" in Spanish. You have too learn everything like a baby, no steroids.

The writing system requires constant practice. Even the Chinese themselves have trouble remembering lesser used characters, not to mention that everybody, even the most literate are limited to a subset of all characters.

as along as gooks' dog barking equivalent language keeps being made fun of, English will remain the global language

What I'm saying is that the Chinese writing could become too much of a hassle even for the Chinese themselves, given enough time that is.

By no means will anything replace English any time soon. That train left a long time ago. I was talking about future Chinese being reformable. I know it isn't possible now.

Chinese is a meme, way more people in China are learning English than Americans learning Chinese, and that's on a per capita basis

That's not an argument, because Americans don't need to learn a foreign language to be part of the global economy. They already speak English. Chinks don't speak a global language, they speak a language that has a billion speakers, but that doesn't make it global, apart from the fact that you will find Chinese now every corner of the world.

You're just supporting the argument that Chinese is a meme

No. I've just pointed out that your argument was flawed. Read again, NPC.

Nevertheless Chinese is gaining traction.
>In 2010, 750,000 people (670,000 from overseas) took the Chinese Proficiency Test.[1] For comparison, in 2005, 117,660 non-native speakers took the test
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_as_a_foreign_language

It's only a matter of time until every Western country and company will want to impress the Chinese with their Mandarin language service and hotel staff.

It's to be expected that more people are learning Chinese when their economy is increasing.

That being said, no one actually wants to learn Chinese except for money and Chinese whores, Chinese culture is absolute shit and soulless, it's not like learning English where you get access to the biggest media in the world. Also, countries like India and Philippines developing will help reinforce English in the long-term

Not for a long time, asian people in HK etc pay insane money to learn English.

I have Chinese colleagues that have young children in the US and are trying to make sure their kids can speak and are literate in Chinese. They have a lot of trouble with this because now they have to personally teach their kids to read and write a really difficult script that involves a lot of memorization

Mao should have done the needful and replaced their script with a latinized one.

English is taught as the "global" language because it's extremely easy to learn and becaue basically all the elettronics from the begining to now as well as programming languages use english, no way chinese will ever replace it, if anything THEY will learn english.

u mad, english teacher?

English is a retarded easy language to learn, so I presume it will a global language for a very long time

Attached: 1531423373367.jpg (228x221, 9K)

>soul
>big media
Take your proxy off, burger

I'm actually a college student here in Japan but there's a girl at my part-time job who teaches Chinese and is really cute
>tfw she wants to move to america

English will always remain the global language.
It is the easiest language to learn, speak and write. Furthermore its simplicity allows one to get their idea through without pissing around the pot.

I have done business with chinks..they much prefer to do business in English.

English only replaced French after WWII, even though Anglo economy, demography and military had already surpassed the French after the Napoleonic wars in the early 19th century.

Chinese will inevitably surpass English, but it will take time until all the people who already speak some English die off.

I remember back in the ninties chinks were proclaming everyone would speak chinese before 2010
Yep chinks are retarded.
People are not going to start learning chinese because chinky poos are saying china numba wan.

Indeed. It also does not have the masculine/feminine/neutral shit which makes communication more fluid.

What's wrong with Portugal????

you don't understand why English is the universal language. Its because most science and technical documents were written in English.
Thats why it beat French and will never be replaced for a long time.

I do charity work in the favelas...I can teach them to communicate in English in 3 months.

With Chinese it would probably take years.
Even the chinese dialects have become "simplified" in order to make it more of an international language...forget the fact that you have to learn symbols if you want to write...the symbols are quite retarded when used to form words.

For example, Prince is "Young King"

Yeah, which unfortunately also causes leftists to come up with their retarded gender shit

Funny you should bring that up. Portuguese has the masculine/feminine shit...it used to also have neutral but it was dropped to simplify the language.

The lefties are eating themselves alive because of the SJW agenda...they are attempting to find ways to remove the "ugly nature" of the language but most people with an education are getting irate with the nonsense.

Does Gaelic have masc/fem?

Science and technical documents only matter to technicians and academics. Business and entertainment is what drives common people to learn a new language.

But Chinks are making large strides in both, especially in third world shitholes like mine. For instance, Huawei networking equipment is more competitive here than anything made in the West (cisco, aruba, dell, and so on), and when you search for it a lot of the docs come up in Chinkspeak, you genuinely feel that knowing Chink would give you some advantage .

I fucking love Brazil. Good on you, guys

hopefully shit gets better...things that make me smile:
- you can now legally administer hormone therapy if you suspect your kid is turning into a fag

- we are the #1 tranny murdering country.

- our next president may give us guns to kill more trannies.

>- our next president may give us guns
that's what I like to hear. I wish the EU also cared about it's citizens and member countries

you are talking out of your ass
I sadly do a lot of business with the chinks, they want to learn more English because they understand their language is not suitable for communication when doing business.
This is painfully obvious with the advent of simplified chinese which makes instruction manuals a fucking nightmare of confusion

Attached: jam.jpg (474x321, 38K)

I think Brussels is fucking you dudes over.
You need to start rolling out the guillotines.

Portugal...

That was a different era. English is now used as the international standard in everything from programming languages to ICAO aviation communications used by pilots and air traffic control. English common law is also the most common legal system chosen to govern multinational cross boarder corporate agreements. This is for a number of legal reasons, but it facilitates the widespread use of English in international business and legal agreements as the standard. In the 19th century the world wasn't globalized like it is today. It'd be a monumental task for Chinese to uproot English at this point. We'll see if they can even get niggers to adopt it in any great numbers in their neo-colonial excursions in Africa.

The character system will never go away. Firstly, pinyin is actually really difficult to read, everything just kind of blends into mush when you try - almost all sounds have multiple meanings, so written down without characters is confusing. Secondly, the characters contain linguistic and cultural significance, they constitute more than just a writing system. Pinyin is a brief intermediary tool for writing, but it’s easier to read from characters. I can speak mandarin quite well, and reading is fine, but I can’t write at all. However that doesn’t mean I don’t rely on the characters. A pure pinyin system would be a nightmare.

Gee, another map where New Zealand doesn't exist.

媽 - mā - "mother"
麻 - má - "hemp"
馬 - mǎ - "horse"
罵 - mà - "scold"
嗎 - ma - question particle

Nay, I don't think so, OP.

>that pic
1 in 4 people in the United States don't speak English at home.

>52.45 low proficiency
>53.13 medium proficiency
lmao reminder to never take the fancy color-coded-for-retards infographics seriously

So far it's the easiest, comfiest one to learn and use
I doubt there will be any other mutt language soon to replace it
Pic related is the influences of other languages in modern English

Attached: 1531851657746.png (350x349, 27K)

>Will English remain the "global language"?
Yes
>For how much longer?
Don't know. Relember that back in Jesus' times the Western world lingua franca was Greek rather than Latin.

English is a trade language, that's usually people's first alternative language for international usage. For instance, we are on an English speaking image board right now. Chinese is too sporadic and has been subject to change after change until it split into Traditional and Mandarin which can be wildly different at times, whereas in English dialects are subtle (armor, armour).

>When your country is so irrelevant that people think your flag actually belongs to a different country and people forget to put you on maps

>Engtugal

stop bully

Attached: 1514745120200.png (387x550, 161K)

Polish will be
you may screen cap this post

The map was clearly edited to attack Portugal. Most likely made by a Macaco.

Attached: english.jpg (1023x575, 47K)

Attached: englishh2.png (940x469, 133K)

OP is retarded

Attached: english3.png (2000x1027, 379K)

>character system simply makes it impossible for most people to learn in a timely manner.
The asian written languages are such a mess it will prevent any of them from becoming a lingua franca.

Maybe then the Chinese could teach the Australians how to speak English.

Attached: 1534119943856.gif (500x260, 1016K)

how can any country be anything lower than "moderately proficient" at english?
like, do they not have schools? lmao