No Cultural Appropriation this Halloween

Daily Reminder from Tumblr

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.19.20_edit.jpg (1364x1954, 437K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thisisinsider.com/childrens-halloween-costumes-to-avoid-2018-9#6-a-holocaust-victim-is-in-no-way-an-appropriate-costume-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1. Dressing as Moana may seem harmless but some argue it turns Polynesians into a costume.
It can be insensitive to Polynesian culture. Disney Shop
With the popularity of the film "Moana," costumes featuring the princess will be everywhere. While it may seem like a no-brainer to have your kid dress up as a movie character they emulate, many feel that dressing up white children as Moana turns Polynesians, and their culture, into a costume.

"Recognize this: Moana is a really special character to young girls of Polynesian descent who have never seen a Disney Princess who looks like them, just like how Tiana from 'The Princess and the Frog' likely resonated with young Black women who had waited decades to see themselves represented," the editors of Redbook wrote in an op-ed. "White girls have plenty of princesses to choose from — there's Belle, Ariel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty … you get the idea. If your Caucasian son or daughter doesn't get to be exactly what they wanted for Halloween, encourage them to take a step back and realize that they're awash in privileges that the real Moanas and Tianas of the world will likely never see, because the world is full of racist a-------."

It's worth noting that others, including writer Preeti Varathan, have argued that kids can wear this costume as long as it's done in a respectful way.

"Discouraging your children's impulses, and insisting they stick to white alternatives, misdirects their initial feelings of adoration for a woman of color," Varathan wrote in Quartz. "Brad Meltzer, a children's book author who has spent decades studying the concept of heroes, believes 'heroes are really magic mirrors. Your heroes don't just reflect you; they reveal you.' This makes your child's impulse to worship Moana, a girl from a different race and culture, even more worth protecting."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.19.35_edit.jpg (1232x2136, 315K)

Blackface has a deeply painful history in the black and African-American communities. Costumes with blackface, as "Daily Show" correspondent Roy Wood Jr. noted in a segment, are something that should be avoided at all costs.

"Blackface is like smoking on an airplane. It used to be acceptable a long time ago but now we know it hurts people around us," he said. "That's why when it comes to blackface, your intentions don't matter."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.19.47_edit.jpg (1362x1646, 269K)

There's a trend on Halloween for people to dress as "hobos" or people who are homeless as a joke. As the Montgomery County Coalition for The Homeless reminded people, a person who is homeless is not a costume and poverty is certainly not something to be used as a punchline.

"This Halloween, please don't dress up like a person experiencing homelessness," the group wrote. "It's unthinkable that anyone would dress up as someone experiencing domestic violence or as a child in extreme poverty. So please respect our clients' humanity as you plan your Halloween costume this year."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.30.44_edit.jpg (1275x1949, 173K)

Putting your kids in a headdress or other Native American clothing is cultural appropriation, argues author Terra Trevor, and should be avoided.

"As Native American people, we are a culture — not a costume. I understand that wearing a culture as costume is not intended to hurt most of the time. However, the fact of the matter is that it does," Trevor wrote in a post for Matador Network.

"Native-alike regalia has become popular style-wear in the mainstream in the US. This fetish for dressing in a manner to look like an American Indian has moved beyond Halloween — and has become a year-round clothing trend for adults who are dressing up to resemble a race and culture of people they do not belong to," Trevor continued. "Some wear it out of naiveté and others in a blatant disregard, disrespect, and irreverence."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.30.57_edit.jpg (1339x2024, 144K)

5. Geishas are a traditional part of Japanese culture that should not be replicated.
It's appropriating a culture. Target
You may be tempted to dress your kids up like a geisha, but many have argued that this is another example of cultural appropriation

"To treat a character like Batman or Superman as a Halloween costume is one thing, but to treat an entire ethnicity as a costume is something else," Jelani Cobb, a professor of Africana studies at Rutgers University and the author of "The Substance of Hope: Barack Obama and the Paradox of Progress," told CNN. "It suggests that people conflate the actual broad diversity of a culture with caricatures and characters."

Also, many have taken issues with exactly how these costumes are created, including that there is often the stereotype of the "sexy" Geisha, according to a BuzzFeed video.

"If you want to be sexy on Halloween, there are so many ways you can be sexy without disparaging another person's culture," Jen Ruggirello, a Japanese BuzzFeed staffer, said in the same video.

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.31.09_edit.jpg (1382x1799, 209K)

Last year, a few retailers came under fire for selling an Anne Frank costume for children. While most stores pulled the costume following the immense backlash, some online retailers kept it, re-branding it with the title, "World War II Evacuee Girl."

"There are better ways to commemorate Anne Frank," Carlos Galindo-Elvira, regional director of the Arizona Anti-Defamation League, tweeted at the time. "This is not one. We should not trivialize her memory as a costume."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.31.22_edit.jpg (1379x2414, 214K)

The INSIDER can go fuck themselves with a dirty wrench, i'll dress up any way I damn well pleased

T he term "Eskimo" is considered a slur by many Inuit people. That aside, dressing up as Inuit is another example of turning a culture into a costume. In fact, this trend made one Inuit man so fed up that he penned a blog called "folks dressed up like 'Eskimos.'"

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.39.05_edit.jpg (1298x1983, 177K)

Whether it's as a sumo wrestler or an inflatable ballerina, any costume that comes with a fat suit is seen as body shaming by many.

Speaker and author of the blog "Dances With Fat," Ragen Chastain argued that wearing a fatsuit is literally using someone's body as a punchline.

"This is literally putting on someone else's body - a body that, as it exists in the world, is subject to a tremendous amount of shame, stigma, bullying, and oppression," Chastain wrote. "Costumes like this add to that shame, stigma, bullying, and oppression by perpetuating the idea that there is something about being fat that should be laughed at. Then, having used their body as a tool for fatphobia, the wearer removes the costume and returns to their life of thin privilege."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.39.14_edit.jpg (1334x2184, 219K)

Many moms were concerned after a trend of morphsuits and "invisible" costumes became popular, noting that it could be difficult for motorists to see children in these costumes.

"I wanted it off the shelves immediately!" Lyss Stern, CEO of Diva Moms, told Little Things. "This costume is extremely dangerous. Children cannot see through the costume, let alone if they are walking across the street the cars can't see them. They are completely invisible; it is completely dangerous."

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.39.23_edit.jpg (1340x1636, 250K)

Guns, swords, knives, and other weapons may seem like a natural part of many Halloween costumes but many argue that they can post unnecessary risks and encourage violence.

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.39.30_edit.jpg (1376x1747, 252K)

Ok yeah, I lol'd.

First time today.

11. Transphobic costumes can have big consequences.

Vanity Fair/anytimecostumes.com
Dressing your child as a gender other than one they identify with or dressing them up as a trans person is seen as transphobic by many.

"To make a costume out of a marginalized identity reduces that person and community to a stereotype for privileged people to abuse," read a petition to get a Caitlyn Jenner Halloween costume off of the shelves.

"At a time when trans women ... especially black trans women, are being murdered at such a high rate, and homelessness, unemployment, and inaccessibility to health care run rampant in our community, making fun of one or all of us is utterly insensitive and deplorable."

Costumes like the "tranny granny" were also slammed by trans activists for their implications that trans women are simply "men in women's clothing."

"Placing a cisgender man in 'granny-like' attire, and marketing it as the 'Tranny Granny Costume,' is such a poignant reflection of how society views trans women," Ashlee Marie Preston, a transgender activist, told Mic. "It perpetuates the idea that at the end of the day we are merely men in women's clothing. The trans experience is often dismissed and rarely taken serious; and Wal-Mart's illustration of what a 'tranny' looks like underscores the sophomoric, slapstick, campy humor associated with being transgender or a 'tranny.'"

Attached: 2018_09_24_12.39.37_edit.jpg (1365x1431, 200K)

Japs love teaching people about their culture.

Why the fuck is there a link to where you can buy it?

Tumbler can suck my balls. This shit is my costume niggers.

Attached: images (17).jpg (275x183, 6K)

Halloween is a white holiday, participating at all as a non white is cultural appropriation. Case closed.

requesting that old image of the college bulletin board that said something like "if no one has dressed up as a stereotype for your culture check your privilege" with the various white stereotype Halloween costumes

umm, you're honorary aryans since the 40s, therefore y'all racists and have no culture sweetie.

Chink love it when whitey dresses up like them as long as they're not fat or ugly

So only ethnic europeans are allowed to participate?

lol it IS a Canadian fuotball term name

Better start working on my half black half Native American fat tranny geisha who was turned into a lampshade in the Holocaust costume.

Oh no, not SCARY, not on Halloween

Do you like my costume for this Halloween? I am going to be a nigger.

Attached: Halloween.jpg (400x290, 28K)

>irreverence
why should i revere any culture to begin with?

My girlfriends costume for this Halloween is also "nigger."

Attached: Halloween GF.jpg (600x900, 77K)

Only christian countries with celtic/pagan roots. Stop appropriating my culture be deciding who wears what you Celtophobe. Now, excuse me, I have a witch to burn.

Elvira joined the ADL? Da fuq

Attached: 1536753864066.png (1000x994, 333K)

but i DO encourage violence, specifically against people like the author of this piece

you mean 13 costumes to be 100% taken.

Attached: 1466003135504.jpg (252x255, 10K)

Apparently they couldn't find an Eskimo that actually gave a shit, so ((they))) decided all by themselves that it's offensive anyway.

Attached: Chapsmoke.gif (500x360, 497K)

Attached: 1529305761859.jpg (467x700, 201K)

I'm MTF and I give literally zero fucks if anyone wants to dress up like Caitlyn Jenner for Halloween. Hell, I was already thinking about going as Chelsea Manning on the cover of Vogue.

Would racemix

Post tits and hatchet wound.

Lol, what a shitshow.
If it's gonna be like this, then niglets can't get any candy. Have you ever heard of african candy? Well, except for the deep-fried fly-cakes of course.

but what if i'm naturaly a fat fuck and just want an excuse to walk around in a thong?

>Tumblr

Now that's a name I've not heard in years.

thisisinsider.com/childrens-halloween-costumes-to-avoid-2018-9#6-a-holocaust-victim-is-in-no-way-an-appropriate-costume-6
>No Anne Frank and trannies
Kek

Wait... isn't that like zombie make-up or a scar or something? How is that pic "blackface" in any way?

Some niggers have that bluey-black complexion.

I am totally into it!

Attached: Inuit.png (1075x598, 767K)

>Dressing your child as a gender other than one they identify with or dressing them up as a trans person is seen as transphobic by many.
Why are trans people so transphobic? The number of little boys stuffed into dresses and crying or little girls told they can't be princesses is absurd.

Tbh id dress up as a blackfaced hobo native american if we had this shit over here

Like dead ones?

If wearing a costume turns a population into a costume, it only proves that there was nothing else of interest about those people.

Attached: ever-seen-a-nigga-so-black-he-turns-blue-~mark-4301572.png (500x860, 226K)

Reminder that shit like this is why the Lefties lost the last election. Good to see they haven’t learned their lesson and are preparing early for Trump 2020.

Last year I dressed as a Chinese man and it was great.
Rice picker hat, fake buck teeth and a wife beater shirt.

Any ideas for costume this year?

This one I agree with. Hard for kids to see out of the morphsuits.

If they’re obviously fake there’s no need to ban them. Just don’t point them at people.

THAT'S IT, I DON'T EVEN CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN. BUT NOW I'M GONNA DRESS UP LIKE AN INVISIBLE HOMELESS FAT TRANSEXUAL BLACK/JAPANESE/ESKIMO/INDIAN/POLYNESIAN PIRATE HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR AND NO ONE CAN FUCKING STOP ME.

Attached: 1533759956695.jpg (234x480, 18K)

Pick any ethnic costume you want and if anyone bitches tell them you're Justin Trudeau and show them your 'wacky' socks

Go full Wakanda-nigger, and speak only in african-ebonics.
"De king will now have de strength of de black pantha stripped away”

The only somewhat good advice they gave.

>tell them you're Justin Trudeau

Kek

Attached: ButterleafFly.png (418x402, 327K)

A decade or so ago I dressed in a costume that involved blackface and went to a party that a few black people also attended. Everybody was amused by my costume, including said black people.

>especially black trans women
Was there any reason to bring this up? As far as I know, Bruce Jenner isn't black.

What an insensitive costume. Clearly mocking the blue-skinned Fugate family from Kentucky.

Attached: I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa.jpg (1200x630, 164K)

Trans Frank (transgender Anne Frank)- Carry around a diary, have stubble or a beard/mustache, wear a dress or skirt, a fake giant nose, and star armband
Bar of soap or lampshade and say you're a holocaust victim
Michael Obama- Micelle Obama with a bulge

Send your kid as a nazi SS officer

My Argyria is NOT a costume, end this oppression NOW.

>muh cultural appropriation

Attached: 124354.jpg (910x480, 30K)

Ghost costumes are lame

Indeed it is. The Edmonton Eskimo football name is very old.

Attached: Edmonton-Eskimos-e1428957612999.jpg (600x367, 44K)

WOMP WOMP. MUH "MINORITIES" (LE LEFTIST TRUMP CARD BUZZWORD) NEED TO BE PROTECTED FROM LE EVIL WHITE PRE-NAZIS!!!

This shit is just stupid. Essentially "Reddit attention-craving retard"- the product.

Actually kind of a bad idea. Dressing up as a (((victim))) is dumb and off-putting even though we all know the absurdity of the holohoax eg le masturbation rollercoaster. And the homeless thing is pretty insensitive if you think about it.

Attached: trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-halloween-2.jpg (500x500, 85K)

Consider the follow

The only reason this stuff is offensive, is because elders tell the newer generation it is offensive. So if everyone stopped saying that blackface for example was offensive, eventually no-one would know it was offensive, and anyone wearing it would be doing it for non-offensive reasons, and it would not offend anyone.

Attached: 1506470115834.png (442x341, 182K)

Oh boy! It's that time of year again! I can't wait for fat catladies with no kids to ruin something else that's fun for kids.

Attached: walmart Halloween.jpg (713x700, 114K)

Bruce Wayne is white and the invention of white people, this costume is culturally offensive. No black person should ever wear any super hero material that is not Black Panther.

And 90s millenial faggots will go on to raise an equally insufferable generation and we'll just keep spinning until we've demographically cucked ourselves into oblivion or there's some great cataclysm/depression that throws all this shit out the window, acting like a reset button.

Attached: 1537749554848.jpg (290x232, 28K)

This one is fucking studio. You can find shops in Japan where woman can got for photoshops wearing them.

>start worrying about finding their father.

Attached: 414CAEC5-CA5A-4A3D-9A34-28F88CA54CB5.jpg (650x455, 33K)

It's times like this that I wish I had 13 kids all dressed up for halloween in the exact 13 costumes that this author describes, and post a picture of all of them individually on this woman's twitter, with all of my kids giving her the finger.

Black panther was created by a white person as well and is a part of white culture.
No black should wear that costume unless they are a slave of a white person.

Attached: 1519244947640.png (650x650, 13K)

so does this mean non-whites can't dress up as vampires because that is Transylvanian folklore and cultural appropriation of Romanians?

fucking a girl in a anne frank coseplay must feel sooo fucked up and weird.

It means non-whites can't dress as anything besides racist stereotypes.

(((Some)))

>your intentions don't matter
Says who?

Ok, I agree with this one

she has nice budding breasts

Yes it is. Unless Elizabeth Warren does it, then it's an admision into the university.

Is this a joke?

That's a traditional kimono not mandatorily a geisha, retards.

Can it get more (((obvious))) who writes this shit?
And by the way that costume is hilarious.

No?

Are they saying that being fat is ineherently offensive?

>completely invisible
Holy crap! We should dress our soldiers with this.

This article has encouraged violence in me against progs.

Blackface hurts them so bad they don’t even want to show an example image

>many feel that dressing up white children as Moana turns Polynesians, and their culture, into a costume.
WTF?!?
Every fucking chink and amerifat in Munich runs around in Lederhosen and Dirndl at the moment.
Are we to be aggravated by that as well?

I second that.

My brother’s half black spawn is dressing up as a Japanese character from the anime Tokyo Ghoul this Halloween. Is he appropriating?

shutup faggots

thats the last thing you need to worry about being aggravated about Hanz

Reminder that Halloween is a European holiday so non-European ethnic groups should not appropriate it.