I really want to start learning another language. I am deciding between french and spanish

I really want to start learning another language. I am deciding between french and spanish.

Spanish Pros:
>Easier than french
>I live in the US southwest so it comes in handy
French Pros:
>Panty dropper
>Ability to read french literature

What I am trying to figure out is what language does Jow Forums find more important? What are your pros and cons? Any other language suggestions?

Attached: language.png (799x760, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gO_1dEOkb_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's literally no point. No one will speak to you in the desired language once they realize you speak English which is pretty fucking obvious - no one has the time or desire to entertain Americans who want to practice language skills; but they have plenty of time to come here and complain about our monolingiusm.

French sounds incredibly disgusting tbqh

I have a lot of family that speaks either spanish or french. Also I travel to mexico a lot and they are actually happy to help with speaking spanish and walking you through things. I just feel like I would have more access to better culture from the french.

I lived in quebec for a while and that french sounds like word vomit. Real french sounds lovely.

Attached: 1503902828177.gif (500x500, 490K)

If you were a history buff I'd say French
But it'd actually be useful to know when a mexican was talking shit on you...

Shit talking is a good point. I always am wondering if some spic is fucking me over when travelling. Having a home in Phoenix and Miami it comes into play a lot.

Attached: 1494177487528.jpg (500x562, 229K)

The french have just so much beautiful art for the past couple hundred years. Being able to read Voltaire in native french seems amazing.

Attached: EEmiG1G.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

Spanish is easier and far more useful (structure and pronunciation closer to English than french)

Learn Norwegian. I am using Babbel, Duolingo and watching videos. If you learn Norwegian, you can pick up other Nordic languages easily.

This is just my experience in Europe. If I said nothing, they assumed I were one of them, but obviously when I tried to speak a non-English language, I was immediately identifiable as American and they just switched to English if they knew it. It was incredibly frustrating, as I'm not a novice-speaker, but I'll obviously have an accent.

What made you choose Norwegian? Culture or family history?

Attached: 1494176515742.png (588x602, 332K)

Latin and German.. If you know those two you have the base for everything else you care about.

I think the way around this is speaking with older people, 50+, or speaking with people in small towns. They seem to know less english and seem to be more proud. I picked up a lot of german traveling through small towns but none in large ones.

Attached: img-1-06-02-2016-08-59-11-Dxl45Q93nC-c4d314a8fe8a9755cd15c1e6c2bbabf8e6fde679.jpg (804x446, 14K)

Spanish or Italian are very close to Latin and have way more practical applications, German is good.

has anyone used online courses with success? i have always wanted to learn a new language, but i do not want to go to a local community college and pay some high costs to learn at a niggers pace.

That may be. Where people were most kind to me was a country where I knew essentially nothing of the language, but they were still interested in speaking to me. Where I spoke the language nearly fluently (well, reading) they were absolute cocksuckers.

If you're self-motivated, it's very possible. There're several programs, but the only one I have any experience with is Fluent Forever.

What languages do you speak well?

Attached: 1536884081078.png (546x640, 634K)

The Quebecois accent is a mess.

You can learn Spanish, use the practical benefits of it, and fake a French accent to drop panties. Hoes won't know the difference.

French will be a dead language in a few decades.

>counts literature as a pro for french but not for spanish
You may be a bit retarded, OP

I can speak German and can read Swedish.

forgot to remove this thing, don't want to be a memeflaggot

I have been to Denmark; so I can also read a bit there; but I've not been to Norway; so I can comment; yet the online argument is for a dialect continuum. Perhaps I'll find out when I visit Norway.

I guess just not familiar but you are probably right regarding spanish literature. No need to be a dick all the time on a japanese basket weaving image board.

Attached: 600x600.jpg (600x600, 75K)

French is much more difficult to learn than spanish, think about that.

There is no equal to English. The romance languages are the equivalent of ebonics, full of idioms and missuses of words. English is supreme. Dios Mio Avanti Savori

>but they have plenty of time to come here and complain about our monolingiusm.
this

no offense, but English lacks nuances to be the best language for litterature.

Learn Mandarin. We're all going to be speaking it in the future. Might as well try to get yourself a half a qt now.

Unless Mexico or another latin american country get their shit together and becomes relevant on the world stage, you dont really need to learn spanish. Only spain, latin america and one country in africa speaks spanish.

I havent heard anyone say "I will learn spanish because it will help me in the bussiness world".

French is more likely to be your next language.

I speak French and have never dropped a woman's panties.

Ukrainian and Russian

I think you're underestimating what "spain and latin america" means

>I havent heard anyone say "I will learn spanish because it will help me in the bussiness world".
I hear this a lot here in Florida, and it's true.

learn igbo OP

itll be as useful for you as any other language thats sole purpose for learning is just a hobby

FUCK OFF TO Jow Forums!

Attached: 1537726989771.png (839x819, 364K)

Learn Binnish :DDDD
Pros
>ebin :DDDD
>benis :DDD

Doesn't work like that. If you know one Latin based language well you will learn the rest of them too easier currently they are very similar. Italian, Spanish, Romanian have the easiest grammar and most overlap of words while French is the most difficult out of them not to mention of some phonetic parts of it too. Portuguese sounds weird to me while it's being spoken, written down I can understand it.
Your ability to learn a language is not just the boring part of memorizing crap in the beginning but being able to intuitively pick up on stuff which you either have or you don't as an innate skill.
Example:
>You'd better get over there.
>Du sollst dich na hin zu übergehen.
but in modern English that would sound
>You should go over to it. (the place)
because in old English was something like
>Thou shallt carry thyneselv at there.
thyneselv = deine-selbst
>deine = yours
>selbst = you
See German's close to old English.
For the average person stuff like this means 2 hours per day for 8 months at least for some languages.

Be a weeb and learn Japanese, or don't learn anything. There's no point in learning a non-global language. Especially don't learn Spanish to hear beaners talk.

I speak English, German and Russian fluently.
It helped me a lot to red pill myself about a lot of things.

If you are interested in the history of Europe or any science then you should learn German.

Otherwise go French!
Something being easy should never be a pro / or a criteria.

But let me tell you one thing: No one will drop panties except for maybe some gay dude in your local gym. And that means you have to suck his dick, because if you know French then you will be the lady.

Attached: nigga plz.jpg (736x730, 65K)

>hate gays on Jow Forums
>read stuff written by literal gays
>look mom I am erudite

Dutch is what the closest to a salad of English-German.

pretty much this

>be me
>know German fluently
>go to Germany
>speak to locals
>ask where I'm from
>Murica!
>they immediately switch to English
>is my German bad?
>no user, quite good
>why did you switch to English
>I thought you would prefer it

I can't figure out if they hate their own language, are language cucks, or just hate foreigners speaking their language. Fucking bizarre.

Slang and metaphors. You give away yourself not using them.

Here's how you learn a language.

1. Look up the 100 most common nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

2. Memorize each using Google image search in that language. E.g if your word is apple and language is Spanish then Google image search "Manzana" and scroll through the results chanting the word to yourself. Repeat till you have complete recall.

3. You now know the absolute basics. Watch children's shows with subtitles on in your language. Repeat until you're watching movies that genuinely interest you.

4. Read books in your chosen language.

5. Listen to native speakers on YouTube. They say a sentence. Pause. You repeat it. Repeat this until you have no accent.

This is a science approved method of learning language. It's based on the idea that language learning comes from comprehension. You need to give yourself enough puzzle pieces to start fitting things together, adding on to your understanding. If you dedicate five to ten hours to this study a week for two years you'll be fluent.

youtube.com/watch?v=gO_1dEOkb_U

Many Germans are quite confident speaking English, because here in Germany people start learning English in elementary school in second grade.

Learn gujarati you effin retard. Just learn a bunch of meme languages and make hilarious ethnic friends.

100? Ayy lmao try 3000. Then watch TV series with both subtitles at the same time.

Any girl who speaks french is already going to drop her panties for you.

good luck, if nothing else it keeps your brain ticking.

I've got to learn czech because my first born is 1/2+ czech.

It's a useless hard language.

Though if you don't use it, you lose it.

Don't bother with a foreign language. Foreigners will always start speaking to you in English if you try to speak to them in their tongue, and English is the international language of business and science. You only have to know a foreign language if you plan on moving to a different country permanently.

Inside the USA Spanish is probably going to be the most useful. Outside USA Chinese will probably become increasingly useful as China gains influence in the world. But Spanish is going to be far easier to learn since it has much in common with English. I took some Japanese in college and it was difficult since it is a completely unrelated language to English. I ended up not pursuing it beyond 2 semesters worth of classes because it was taking too much time and I was focusing on a STEM degree.

I just wanted to be able to read untranslated Hentai.

Yeah, if you're working a McDonalds drive-thru, not handling high end investments or becoming a stem lord.

people laugh at you if you use slang and aren't fluent.

stick to formal language till you know enough.

If someone in the Chinese started using cockney slang to me I'd be confused/bemused.

Between french and spanish, I say spanish. You'll find much more use for it and also more opportunities to actually practice it, given your situation.
German is the next best language to learn, due to the significance of german literature and scientific publications, and also to better understand german history and culture.
If you're looking for something challenging, learn russian. It's the main slavic language, with great literature, fascinating alphabet and vocabulary.

Try learning Russian! It's real easy to fool people into thinking you're a native. Just say something like "I don't believe Trump is literally Hitler." They hear perfect Russian, although you might sounds a little robotic.

>learn a programming language
>make more useful sites

spanish so you know what those filthy wetbacks are talking about

>learn a programming language
>make income

It's like you don't plan on being a NEET for the rest of your life.

Attached: 1534064448216.jpg (500x441, 12K)

I think I might be colour blind

Who would you rather talk to: French people or beaners? I'll take French people any day.

Kek

spanish. the french are notoriously rude to people who try to speak french. i have a quebecois friend who travelled france and got constant shit for his accent. the french often replying in english. why would you bother?

I speak Mandarin and read Quechua.

Only a slave learns another language. The master race speaks its own tongue. Did the Spartans bother learning the barbaric babble of inferior Persians? FUCK NO! THIS IS SPARTA!

One advantage of learning Mandarin as a small child is that you are nine times more likely to develop perfect pitch by doing so. It's true. See the studies by Professor Barbara Deutsch.

Correction: Professor Diana Deutsch, University of Washington

I went to Paris and not knowing any word but bonjour was good enough since everyone is smart enough to know English. Go to Cancun and you're SOL if you leave your resort hotel.

>What I am trying to figure out is what language does Jow Forums find more important?
German or Japanese

>Thou shallt carry thyneselv at there.
That's not Old English, that's early modern English. Old English was more like
>Swicest micgan on þin sweord

Most first tier cities and any major country will have a sizeable portion of individuals who can speak some english. This is even more exacerbated by the fact that many European countries were easily accessible to each other and such countries had an overlapping pan-european culture/understanding of each other. You'll often find that many europeans were able to speak quite fluently multiple neighbouring languages, sometimes up to 5.

In my experience, Parisians aren't snobby. I always attempted to communicate in French first by saying bonjour, followed by parlez vous anglais? Generally, they were very willing to oblige, especially the women.

Attached: 1529545865177.gif (500x500, 1.94M)

Or you can start learning both, like me

Attached: bazowany.jpg (600x600, 46K)

Why would you want to speak the same language as a bunch of losers?

Attached: Loser.jpg (962x642, 58K)

English is just a great language with beautiful sounds and words

well, he already speaks english
can't get any worse than that

I speak English fluently and German semi fluently.
Learning Russian so I can escape to some comfy suburb in Moscow.

I've had the exact same experience in Germany

Fuck off limey

Spanish is more useful in the US, but French is the better language.

if you aren't a complete brainlet then learn both
t. learning spanish and russian simultaneously

I only knew of the old English as the one in basic literature works.
That looks fucking awful like some Icelandic Norse.

Not really, people do genuinely appreciate it when you learn their language. I've never seen in my entire life seen an american attempt to speak even a single line of french or dutch here. In fact the majority of them don't even realize whether they are on the dutch or french side.

You only need to speak English as everyone has accepted our superior language as a second language.
Focus on mastering English to a high degree, and treat non-English speakers with contempt, even if you're in their country.

Learn Classical Arabic.

Attached: 1537894787310.png (420x420, 54K)

If you're that interested in Span/Franc then go Latin for your Kernel, and just spend a few weeks on vacation in either place afterward to get the latest DLC from each.

I hate to say it but Spain has good philosophers, like Espinoza, and Spanish has lot of good literature such as Borges, Cervantes, Gongora, Quevedo, García Marquez, Oneamuno,etc

An example of literature in Old Pre-Norman English (Anglo-Saxon) is Beowulf
Wikipedia has articles in old english too, under the prefix ang. instead of en. or ro.

>Latin
you get Law, you get access to the Vatican, you get to read Roman Speeches without those fucking Brits cocking shit up.
Seriously, for you, a win win.

>learning faggot languages like French and Spanish
Just learn German or Russian.