Tommaso d'Aquino & the NPC

Hi pol, long time lurker first time poster.
Forgive the reddit spacing.
I was talking to my very liberal friend last night, and we touched the free will issue.
Then I remembered reading about Tommaso d'Aquino here. It was a thread explaining how Tommaso was the first guy to be able to read without speaking out loud.
The Christian clergy opened the Bible in front of his face, he silently read a passage, then they closed the book, and he was able to convey what he'd read, and everybody flipped their shit.
It was the first instance of somebody being able to read "in their mind", like he had transcended the NPC state.
Was that bullshit? Was that fake news pol? I need evidence of that happening.
Please give me some truth.
Bless you.

Attached: san-tommaso-d-aquino.jpg (635x445, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
moderndragons.blogspot.com/2009/09/quote-of-day-93009.html?m=1
edge.org/q2009/q09_5.html#smithb
redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/10/12/meme-gaming-community-created-label-sjws-pretty-brilliant/?utm_source=rsmorningbriefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=d7cbd72fcab01dc74a92983b660a8c44
youtu.be/nTn6UMzAgZY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria
newadvent.org/summa/3040.htm
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2011/12/08/st-ambrose-the-man-who-invented-silent-reading/
youtube.com/watch?v=7dGJDJoeAok
youtube.com/watch?v=8XnQN9Jjh2Q
act-il.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=tYleadaZ8vM
thejidf.org
thejidf.org/2008/10/about-jidf.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Internet_Defense_Force
fortune.com/2016/09/12/facebook-google-israel-social-media/
archive.is/HpArO
archive.is/sMsxH
archive.is/bdyTW
youtube.com/watch?v=Vqhi16iikxk
youtube.com/watch?v=ceCOhdgRBoc
youtube.com/watch?v=TY7rNXmKjko
youtube.com/watch?v=2zbcEcSYcS8
youtube.com/watch?v=D2cNvncfCtk
youtube.com/watch?v=XNWF9CeoZdE
youtu.be/yiCaQfHHAlg
markandrealexander.com/2015/07/23/socrates-divine-inner-voice/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Then I remembered reading about Tommaso d'Aquino here. It was a thread explaining how Tommaso was the first guy to be able to read without speaking out loud.
>The Christian clergy opened the Bible in front of his face, he silently read a passage, then they closed the book, and he was able to convey what he'd read, and everybody flipped their shit.
Sounds like bullshit. You're telling me no one could read texts in their heads before this?

Would like to see source too pls

>(((1 post by this ID)))
what's really happening boy, I've seen a lot of slide threads today

We we'rent always conscious the same way we are today. Its a fairly fringe concept/realization but check out bicameralism if you want to get a handle on whats likely a totally alien concept to you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

(keep in mind this is just a single theory about a broader concept)

I know it does, that's why I'm hoping the same OP or somebody who was in that thread will show up here and post some evidence.

Nothing's happening, just hoping someone will fulfill my request. I don't have much to bump the thread with, but I'm here.

Bump. This is interesting.

Thanks, this seems to be related. Will check it out.

Bump bump. Someone with the answer please come in.

Attached: bettygrable4.jpg (433x640, 50K)

that's good, have you tried reading his ontology works? Super libros de generatione et corruptione it's a good start

People read out loud because books were written without punctuation and with weird abbreviations, sometimes without some vowels, and without vocalizing it's hard as fuck to make sense of what's written.
Augustine says he was surprised when he found Ambrogio (I don't know his anglicized name) reading without moving his lips.

I remember seding somewhere that Romans and Greeks used to read aloud, but I'm not sure if they couldn't read silently.

The answer is that there have always been Hylics. The question is why is it such a big deal all of the sudden? I think we are headed for a false flag lads. They want to blame violent vidya and the NPC MEME. It will be bad.

Attached: 1539417546340m.jpg (1024x566, 125K)

moderndragons.blogspot.com/2009/09/quote-of-day-93009.html?m=1
Found a very shoddy font, but a font nonetheless.

I admit I know little or no about the guy, but I'll try to make time to read some of his work.

edge.org/q2009/q09_5.html#smithb
There we go.

Good grief that is it! Thanks user.
Reading the comments in your link it seems that it was in-fact Augustine/Ambrogio and not St. Aquino, like said.

I confess I threw the NPC meme in it just to attract attention. I was really only concerned about the St. Aquino story.

I kind of remember reading the same thing about St. Jerome or Augustine, I'm not sure which.

also note how the Qur'an is meant to be recited instead of being read in silence
because of the lack of accent marks in normal text, Arabs like to read semi-loud in general
even their word for reading (qr', from which the word Qur'an is derived) means reciting specifically and not reading in general
take that as you will

oh yeah that's it, it was Augustine and Ambrose, not Augustine and Jerome

and yes, that's literally how it was

>ARTIFICIAL, SELF-REPLICATING MEME MACHINES

Well thanks for the help /pol, I knew you would deliver. I've got myself some reading to do, so I'll leave this thread now. Bless you all.

dead meme now. it has been found by the people who write the stuff that your drunk uncle forwards you from his AOL email address.

sorry.

redstate.com/brandon_morse/2018/10/12/meme-gaming-community-created-label-sjws-pretty-brilliant/?utm_source=rsmorningbriefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=d7cbd72fcab01dc74a92983b660a8c44

>Was that bullshit?
Yes

I haven't heard this story. TA is my patron saint, so I probably would have heard about it if it were true. In terms of the genius scale, his mentor Albert Magnus was probably superior. Magnus invented a robot in medieval Italy.

Attached: 1524712085570.png (594x593, 354K)

As I said, this is very much unrelated to the NPC meme, I used it as clickbait to get some truth on the Aquino story.

Would you mind elaborating on the "Magus invented a robot in medieval Italy" claim please?

>The Most comprehensive rundown yet on NPC theory

THIS IS THE ESSAY OF THE CENTURY!!! NPC THEORY EXPLAINED AND THE CURE, for some npc's,
>Some NPC's can be saved

youtu.be/nTn6UMzAgZY

NPC THEORY QUICK RUNDOWN
He says the video has been demonitized... NPC THEORY SCARES (((THEM)))

SPREAD THIS DAMAGING VIDEO TO THE NPC'S.....

Attached: 1539390111134.jpg (570x570, 47K)

He created an animated machine. Can;t remember where I read it.

>Forgive the reddit spacing.
>there's no reddit spacing
this is like a weird form of new

the book on The Iliad is fascinating
its thesis is that early humans did things unconsciously like animals, but then a voice in their head began, scaring them so much they took the voice as that of the Gods, so in The Iliad, the warriors were automata—incredible killing machines—because they were ordered by the Gods to kill
NPC meme is the most fascinating meme Jow Forums ever had

Guess I tried too hard to fit in =^)

When I play Total War I always adhere to St. Thomas Aquinas' principles of a just war. It's a pretty successful approach actually

How would you/he define a just war?

about The Iliad:
the idea is that the Gods in the book were actually that startling voice in the warriors’ heads

I don't know about Alberto Magno, but Erone did some crazy shit in Greece, here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria

Article I.—Is it always a sin to go to war?

R. There are three requisites for a war to be just. The first thing is the authority of the prince by whose command the war is to be waged. It does not belong to a private person to start a war, for he can prosecute his claim in the court of his superior. In like manner the mustering of the people, that has to be done in wars, does not belong to a private person. But since the care of the commonwealth is entrusted to princes, to them belongs the protection of the common weal of the city, kingdom, or province subject to them. And as they lawfully defend it with the material sword against inward disturbances by punishing male-factors, so it belongs to them also to protect the commonwealth from enemies without by the sword of war. The second requisite is a just cause, so that they who are assailed should deserve to be assailed for some fault that they have committed. Hence Augustine says: “Just wars are usually defined as those which avenge injuries, in cases where a nation or city has to be chastised for having either neglected to punish the wicked doings of its people, or neglected to restore what has been wrongfully taken away.” The third thing requisite is a right intention of promoting good or avoiding evil. For Augustine says: “Eagerness to hurt, bloodthirsty desire of revenge, an untamed and unforgiving temper, ferocity in renewing the struggle, dust of empire,—these and the like excesses are justly blamed in war.”

So a just war is one predicated on self-defense and self-preservation? I can get behind that.
Also would you provide a source for your quote?

bump

>Also would you provide a source for your quote?
newadvent.org/summa/3040.htm
It says it on the top.

Thanks

I learned something a while back, but I cant't remember all the details. Apparently Monks would have to audiate to read and most of this would be done through chant because that was an aid for memorization. Monks would sit there and have to sing to themselves to read something.

this npc meme is getting outta hand

Another interesting take on the NPC meme here, goes into how centrism works aswell in regards to NPCS

Attached: FB_IMG_1538757728512.jpg (750x1000, 53K)

That scene the first thing that I thought of after reading the OP. That guy just sat there reading silently until they left!

There's more in his confessions:
>Eagerly then I returned to the place where Alypius was sitting; for there had I laid the volume of the Apostle when I arose thence. I seized, opened, and in silence read that section on which my eyes first fell

>The Christian clergy opened the Bible in front of his face, he silently read a passage, then they closed the book, and he was able to convey what he'd read, and everybody flipped their shit.
There's a similar story regarding Caesar. Apparently most people have to read aloud, or mouth the words.

Interesting to think, this seems more plausible in ancient times, very few people were literate. The people that WERE literate, we're the ones that claimed they talked to God.

Almond status: activated.

Attached: fixed_hit.jpg (835x773, 332K)

You are a fucking dumbass.
Before writing, people transmitted books and writing orally. Homer and countless myths, legends, and wisdom that communicated how to live and the basic principles of human nature that underpinned civilizations to both peasant and King all had to be memorized by rote. The capacity to hold information was much greater in the past than it is today. You cannot hold that information if you have to be saying it all at once.

This meme is embarrassingly stupid.

I think it was actually St. Ambrose

>The second thing about Ambrose has nothing to do with Church government, but will interest everyone reading this. Some have disputed this, but it is claimed that Ambrose invented silent reading. The Romans were in the habit of declaiming a text, even in private, reading aloud to audiences, even an audience consisting only of oneself. But Augustine says of Ambrose, in Book 6, chapter 3 of his Confessions:

>When [Ambrose] read, his eyes scanned the page and his heart sought out the meaning, but his voice was silent and his tongue was still. Anyone could approach him freely and guests were not commonly announced, so that often, when we came to visit him, we found him reading like this in silence, for he never read aloud.

>It strikes me that Augustine would not have mentioned this if it had not struck him as something completly novel. But why is it important? Silent reading is something interior, which involves listening to the quiet inner voice. Ambrose’s discovery of silent reading marks the beginning of the Western way of doing things, our quite appropriate emphasis on the importance of our inner and interior lives. This is something of which we are in danger of losing sight: what counts is the interior person, and my real life is my inner life: this is the locus of salvation. Because Ambrose is the first to point to this through reading, he stands at the head of a great tradition. Perhaps that is why he deserves to be one of the two Western doctors supporting the Chair of Peter.

catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2011/12/08/st-ambrose-the-man-who-invented-silent-reading/

Thanks for this

Reminder: an army of well funded, well organized jew shills patrol the internet in effort to shut down any counter-jew discussion and to promote the globalist anti-white jew agenda.

youtube.com/watch?v=7dGJDJoeAok

youtube.com/watch?v=8XnQN9Jjh2Q

act-il.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=tYleadaZ8vM
>ACT.IL shill recruitment video

thejidf.org

thejidf.org/2008/10/about-jidf.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Internet_Defense_Force

fortune.com/2016/09/12/facebook-google-israel-social-media/
archive.is/HpArO
>Why Facebook and Google Are Complying With Israel to Delete Certain Content

archive.is/sMsxH
>Israel’s Online Shadow Operations
>Numerous well funded, organized projects by and for Israel work to flood social media with pro-Israel propaganda, while blocking facts Israel dislikes. The projects utilize Israeli soldiers, students, American teens and others, and range from infiltrating Wikipedia, Reddit and Jow Forums to influencing YouTube. Some operate out of Jewish Community Centers in the U.S.

archive.is/bdyTW
>Israel launches secret squad to challenge negative image & boycott campaign

youtube.com/watch?v=Vqhi16iikxk
>"Israel's Internet Censorship War - If Americans Knew"

youtube.com/watch?v=ceCOhdgRBoc
>"The Lobby P1: Young Friends of Israel – Al Jazeera Investigations"

youtube.com/watch?v=TY7rNXmKjko
>"JIDF Editing on Wikipedia"

youtube.com/watch?v=2zbcEcSYcS8
>Israeli American Council shill recruitment video

youtube.com/watch?v=D2cNvncfCtk
>"Tony Martin IHR Conference Tactics of Organized Jewry in Suppressing Free Speech"

youtube.com/watch?v=XNWF9CeoZdE
>"Defamation" – Documentary about how acusations of anti-semitism are used as a JIDF tool to silence goyim who criticize anything related to jews.

youtu.be/yiCaQfHHAlg
>jews hate all non-jews and slaves

so in ancient times people didn't have inner voice at all????

Nabokov used to ridicule people who moved their lips as they read.

wtf thanks for posting this. i never thought about this question but i have an article here that says it was st. ambrose who was the first person to read silently:

Man, Betty Grable! I'd preg that and put a ring on it. Wowza! No joke, I'm gaga for Grable.

>Nobokov born 1899
>Ambrose born 337 AD

Nice refutation you got there.

It isn't an attempt at refutation.

markandrealexander.com/2015/07/23/socrates-divine-inner-voice/

This is why God came to earth 2000 years ago. Everyone was NPCs before.

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6:5-6

It's interesting to compare this idea with the tower of babel story.

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

>The Bronze age collapse of the 2nd millennium BCE led to mass migrations and created a rash of unexpected situations and stresses which required ancient minds to become more flexible and creative. Self-awareness, or consciousness, was the culturally evolved solution to this problem. This necessity of communicating commonly observed phenomena among individuals who shared no common language or cultural upbringing encouraged those communities to become self-aware to survive in a new environment. Thus consciousness, like bicamerality, emerged as a neurological adaptation to social complexity in a changing world

Maybe the Bicameral Mind wasn't that so crazy of a book after all.

There is no free will. Its like virtual reality game that pretends to allow you to choose your own adventure when infact you are observing a linear story.

Enjoy the show.

>books were written without punctuation and with weird abbreviations, sometimes without some vowels
Sometimes it seems like each word was pretty much phonetically spelled out according to local customs so spelling varies wildly, you wouldn't easily recognize a word by looking at it you would have to hear how it sounds to relate it to a word you know.

The more you read in a language with strictly defined spelling the more you start to recognize the words on sight instead of reading each letter. This also applies more widely, the more structure we impose on the content the easier it is to absorb as a whole. Wiki articles and scientific papers have structures which allow you to fill in the predefined structural slots by skimming the text. You don't lose your train of thought by jumping around because your mind is already conditioned with the abstract patterns representing the structure of a wiki page.

Not politics.
Sage and report.

I guess it's the same phenomenon where you struggle to read something that's written in really small characters, but you suddenly have no problems when you find out what it says and can easily recognize the words from there on out even after some time?

Would you fuckers please wait until there are more than 3 posts to say that? This is obviously a novel thread.

Attached: 1537837197925.jpg (480x474, 37K)

You could also train yourself to read smaller text in general if you want by just doing what you described a lot with different text. In the end you would have physically more neurons just devoted to analyzing tiny text, how each letter is perceived when it's tiny would be physically stamped into your brain so it always triggers the right connections even when it's hard to consciously perceive. Again the more you read the more full words get trained so you recognize them on sight without needing to put together the letters.

NPC is basically a modern version of the bicameral theory

phonecians had no vowels. reading out loud in european culture was connected to greek thinking since they meant their spirit was involved when they recited text rather than read it on their own