No Historical Perspective

A vast majority of you have no living memory of any of these historical events. What makes you think you can really have an opinion on ANYTHING?

Attached: History.jpg (1510x866, 349K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bshz1reMTVY
youtube.com/watch?v=XIKiFB3xzEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJXtTIbDTo
youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw
snopes.com/fact-check/stirring-response/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do you think you can have an opinion about me having an opinion?

Because if you're under 30 years old, you don't have enough living memory to have the necessary perspective.

Because, at lest in my place, I live in the US.

Maybe I should have phrased it "what makes you think you have an informed opinion on anything"

>This nigger doesn't even remember the razing of Corinth
>Thinks he can have an opinion on the late Roman Republic

Exactly.

Or, in modern terms... this dude doesn't remember the trick the democrats used to get Nixon, and still think's he understands what's going on with Trump

>Projection
I know 20 year olds that are better put together than 30 year olds. You're a faggot.

Based Latin poster.

Attached: ancientitaly.png (1000x1191, 208K)

Because I have a much higher IQ than you

It's not a question of how smart they are. I know 21 year old's who are smarter than 40 year old's.

What I'm talking about is the wisdom that comes from having a long living memory of decades worth of history.

It allows you to see patterns, to know more than the history books filter out; and to understand the world.

The smartest 20 year old in the world still doesn't have the perspective to understand much about the world.

No you dumbass I was showing how retarded your logic is. According to you, we can never have opinions about anything we weren't alive for, which is fucking stupid

Doubtful.

see

hey see this
OP you're foolish.

DO you mean the pattern of industrialization?
How factory fires are always the straw that breaks the camels back and workers go on strike to demand safer environments?

Or how about the overarching view of female "liberation"

Maybe you can divulge to us the secrets you know about JFk and his spicy flings with all the ladies.

You're wrong. For example... how does the popularity of Bernie Sanders relate to the Eugene McCarthy campaign of 1968? And why does the 1968 campaign tell us what is going to happen in 2020?

The history books will only tell you so much. Living through an experience (if you are paying attention), give you perspective that no young person can have, no matter how smart they are.

Attached: DmTBnKeX0AMCKb3.jpg (512x408, 39K)

>A vast majority of you have no living memory of any of these historical events.

what makes you assume that?

No wait better yet, tell me about FDR. Yeah, let's talk about how economic depression centralizes power and socializes economies.

Could get all of it from a history book.

I mean things like this example

are you implying you think 2020 is going to be like 1972

Because I think a vast majority of posters are under 30.

At least they stopped burning their bras in the middle of the street

The entire washington press corp knew about it, but chose not to talk about it for the "good of the nation". These same people, though, were more than happy to publish every rumor about Nixon because they liked JFK and hated Nixon

You appear to be conflating knowledge with intelligence. Knowledge is the wrote memorization of information, while intelligence is the use of knowledge to discovery new information.

Yeah one second. I'm reading up on the 1968 campaign by McCarthy to show you your old age has given you hubris.

none of these events is noteworthy

Trump will win in a landslide.

>What is Wikipedia
The first thing I did when I took the RedPill was reread all of Wikipedia and start connecting the dots. Starting with the Roman Empire.

At least that's what you predict from the 1968 campaign to 1972 and 2020 election.

The only thing that matters now is memory of the world before the internet.

Those of us who have the perspective of a world before we became linked are the only ones who understand the gravity of where we're going.

Unfortunately, when we go, we will be the last. You kids will never know what actual privacy is. You will never know what actual freedom is, and you will never grasp what we've lost.

We are the last true individuals in the most physical, most human sense of the word.

Attached: FIRE.png (698x840, 660K)

barring some rally around the flag type event i don't really see that

You are correct. I'm sure my parents looked at me the same way. My dad was 15 years old when pearl harbor happened. There is no way I could match the history he had in his memory.

The Gene McCarthy followers were a lot like the Bernie supports because they...

1. Put their whole heart and soul into the campaign

2. Were so positive that they were going to change the world together.

After McCarthy lost the nomination, his entire pack of followers so heartbroken that they just sat out politics for a decade.

Will it be 1972 all over again? I doubt it, but the dems have lost a big block. The final nail will be when bernie tries to run in 2020 and gets knocked out of the primary early (same thing happened to McCarthy in 72)

Attached: Button.jpg (223x226, 14K)

>being unable to relate to your fellow man
Oy Vey! Imagine that

Attached: 1511388386965.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Not really. Because the history book only tells the larger story, and not the odd details that make life such a tapestry.

For example, the history books probably never talk about...

... Jimmy carter being attacked by the rabbit
... reagan having a senior moment and Nancy whispering the answer to him
... the national depression of the carter years that brought on reagan.

>He thinks he can have an opinion on the candidacy of McCarthy without having lived through the candidacy of Jennings Brian
Fucking young people
Opinions can stem from knowledge and instruction as well as experience

Ya, that's a whole conversation itself. The knowledge of what living in the world was like before all that. Talking to young people, I sometimes feel like Edward G Robinson in this film:

youtube.com/watch?v=bshz1reMTVY

So irrelevant but charming and humanizing moments?
the last one could easily be read up on as well.

They can, and they do. But even in your life you have lived through events that, in 30 years, young people will have no conception of.

For example... were you old enough to have adult memories of 9/11? There has been so much written about that event, but even then so much of it is missing. The personal memories are what give you perspective and a fuller knowledge.

I can guarantee you that everyone in here will have this same moment when they get much older.

Old fag, hes right, problem is with kids today, they realize they have every piece of information at their fingertips thanks to google so they just assume they know everything then google it and bullshit their way through the rest. Not saying there arent dumb ignorant people of every age, but young'ns tend to be far more cocky about their supposed intelligence, but life gives them a few taps on the nose and they usually calm down and realise there's a difference between knowledge and wisdom and one cant be googled, or they're just a dumb cunt and keep making the same mistakes forever.

The people that were 20 then didn’t either.

butthurt clueless boomer hater detected.
OP is right. Stop acting like experience doesn't matter
>but muh books
written by who with what perspective that they want spread?
You will one day realize how immature your thoughts are. Even us old farts still learn new lessons.

Not really irrelevant though. For example, we can read about the rise of Hitler, but our knowledge and understanding would never match someone who as an adult saw the rise of nazi germany themselves.

There are just too many details to fit in the history books.

>For example... were you old enough to have adult memories of 9/11? There has been so much written about that event, but even then so much of it is missing. The personal memories are what give you perspective and a fuller knowledge.

well, i wasn't an adult then. i was 13. how old are you?

And that is even more true in the age of the internet. Having access to the worlds information is a wonderful thing, but with news stories so easy to scrub, it's really a 1984 situation.

early 60's

>Experience matters
of course it does.

I'm not a fool to disparage such things and I listen to older folks all the time to get a perspective I have no understanding of, but to foolishly condemn someone because of their youth is frustrating on a personal level because you oldfaggots have no understanding of the world we've haad to live in.

It's like those disconnected boomer posts (Ironic or not) where people tell you to get a job and pay off a house when inflation and immigration have made work into earning peanuts.

So you've backtracked from "your opinion is invalid" to "your opinion is less valid"

Life has never been easy. In my grandparents time, they had to deal with the real threat of starvation.

No, the opinion of young people is still pretty much invalid. I was conceding the point that reading is fundamental.

Note to self... most won't get the RIF joke.

youtube.com/watch?v=XIKiFB3xzEQ

i definitely remember a lot of 70s throw backs growing up

where the fuck did I say that?
This is about perspective. I honestly think Americans would be better off if commodities were scarcer and our society weren't so opulent. It's corrupted our national spirit.

My generation is living through the total collapse of the community and family. These were things you took for granted. Community and hunger is preferable than a full stomach and isolation.

Very nice digits.

Attached: 1512862269850.jpg (600x534, 38K)

TV turned to shit once every show had to have a message. I could blame the episode when Rerun tried to record the doobie brothers concert in "what's happening", but it probably started with this PSA:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJXtTIbDTo

I simply meant that things are probably no worse (relatively speaking) than they ever were. For example, inflation. A big problem in the 70's. And homes? Try buying a home when the prime interest rate is 17%

You are not special. You are a faggot

I never thought I was. My generation wasn't raised to believe that the sun shined out of our ass.

well in some ways inflation was good for young people then. really reduced my father's debts

Eat shit. YOUR generation sold out a white America for cheap labor and material gain. Fuck your generation.

Now mine has to prevent genocide and secure a nation for whites.

Yes your generation is so special kek they don't make em like they used to. what a fag

I'm solidly Gen X and have vivid memories of all but three of those that were before my time.

I remember when we, as a homogenous nation, watched several of these unfold live on the news.

Much of it when I was a kid. I was in first grade when the Challenger exploded live in our classroom.

I'm just old enough to remember life before all video game consoles aside from the Atari.

I think in a hundred years when they're writing books about the fall of the west, reality TV will be marked as the turning point.

TV was mostly pretty decent drama and non US countries had a lot more locally made shows etc Big Brother was the nail in the coffin and I remember at the time finding the idea of watching narcissist talk about themselves being repellent and didnt think it would last a season, but the media picked it up and ran with it and I soon found out how wrong I was about humanity, Now everybody is so fucking into themselves. Having a bit of humility used to be an appreciated and desirable traits, like one example it makes me laugh that kids think Neil Armstrong didnt walk on the moon because he wasnt very excited in press conference when he got home. Thats just how cat's used to roll, nobody can even grasp it anymore.

Probably did more harm than good

Attached: WIN.jpg (251x201, 12K)

What's the story with the nuclear cooling towers and the guy being sworn in as something?

I think the challenger incident will be one of the main shared memories of people your age, simply because of the way it happened.

> nasa decides to boost PR by sending a teacher into space
> big nationwide competition over who it would be
> the big day comes, this is going to be great
> let's bring TV's into all of the classrooms in the country so the kids can learn how important space is
> go for throttle up

Attached: Crew2.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

The three mile island nuclear accident, and Oliver North being sworn in during the iran contra hearings.

didnt watch the challenger explode, but i cant think pumpkin pie tastes better cold? didnt live through the regan years, but i cant like nissan cars? what kinda bullshit are you smokin? do you know what an opinion is?

oh yeah, all the over 30s at work that cant/wont use more efficient processes because they are incapable of accepting change are really who i want to listen to for advice on how the world of today works.

You nailed it, I remember our teacher wheeling the TV into the classroom, hooking it up, making sure they could get the channel well in advance and we were all glued to it. It was surreal when it exploded, like 9/11 level surreal before 9/11.

the wisdom to fall for the consumerist usury trap, gamble your retirement on your house exploding in value, and invading 2 countries that had nothing to do with 9/11?

>wasnt around for the phonograph, cant appreciate recorded music

In my opinion, there were two things responsible for that... the 1982 TV show "Family Ties" and the 1987 movie "Wall Street"

Family Ties had the main child hero who was a reagan republican whose only interest was making money.

Wall Street taught 1/2 my generation that cheating was OK, as long as you got rich.

Wall street had a major effect on my generation. And not a good effect.

Shift + Enter dude.

>Wall Street taught 1/2 my generation that cheating was OK, as long as you got rich.
>Wall street had a major effect on my generation. And not a good effect.

that's... a bizarre thing to take away from that movie

It is and it isn't. Those who walked away from the movie chanting "greed is good" thought the moral of the story was to plan better so you won't get caught.

Again, the movie had a major impact on society, especially my generation. It was almost like an anti-hippie movement. Our older brothers and sisters were the hippies. The younger half of our generation went the exact opposite.

I suppose youth of every generation mold themselves based on the culture around you.

I knew probably 20 people who could quote this speech word for word.

youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw

Of course it could have been the drugs too. Around the same time, it was popular in the club scene to wear a coke spoon as a necklace. Coke was always an expensive drug, you had to make money to afford that habit.

Attached: necklace.jpg (225x225, 9K)

yeah i remember reading that mcdonalds actually got in trouble over their measuring spoons being used so often for that

well, coffee spoons

Attached: spoons.jpg (590x377, 42K)

Good memory. But all of the most discerning noses preferred to snort from a silver or gold spoon. I guess that was the 80's version of the gold grill.

snopes.com/fact-check/stirring-response/

dude, you fuckers need to get off your grandparents nuts. when was the last time you had nothing but a loaf of bread to get through a week? i've been there. my friends who dont have rich parents have all been there. three-quarters of the people i know of my age are either neck-deep in student loan debt, living with their parents, or both. they fell into a terrible trap by listening to their 'wiser elders', who told them debt was good and college was the only way to get ahead in life.

experience is nothing but the accumulation of information. we experienced this shit the same way your generation did, through a TV screen and biased commentary by people with an agenda to sell.

the 70's "me generation", the 80's "fuck everyone else but me" generation, and the 90's "oblivious optimism" generation, raised on a hoard of wealth and opportunity from an era of blood and war, have left us with not a pot to piss in for our own inheritance. even if you've done right personally, our fore-bearers on the whole sucked at the teat of predatory illusion (and still do) with no thought of what was to come after, falling for the same re-branded lies over and over. my generation has to deal with being ruled over by a hoard of blind greedy fools with massive Cronus-complexes.

the worst part is, you still believe youre special, that you matter -at all-. like you did something noteworthy. you blame your problems on the generation raised in the world you created. it is your fucking fault and you're gonna try and leave us holding the bag. we are the ones who can understand your grandparents struggles, not you fat, arrogant zombies.

> last time you had nothing but a loaf of bread to eat for a week
Probably when I was in my early 20's. Living paycheck to paycheck.

> rich parents / hoard of wealth
That is a myth. Contrary to the rumor, my generation didn't leave high school and buy a house they paid off in 10 years with the money that just lay in the street waiting to be picked up.

Instead, most of the people I knew (myself included), moved into an apartment with 3 other people. And between 4 people splitting the rent, we could afford to keep the lights on while we slept on the mattress we had in the corner of the floor. What brings "wealth" is going to work for a few decades and not spending money.

> you still believe your special.
For the sake of this conversation, you are special too. You have living memory in you that cannot be overridden by the historical editors who will pick and choose which knowledge will be passed down to those younger than you.

For example, we can be pretty sure that the history books will paint Hillary Clinton as a superwoman who was robbed of her rightful presidency by a resurgence of racism and hate in the country. And young children will be spoon-fed this lie until most of the people 30 years younger than you will believe it without question.

But you will know better because you LIVED through the times and got your information before it was edited.

THAT is the theme of this thread. That living memory is of such importance that the young people of are at an intellectual disadvantage when it comes to forming political opinions.

>For example, we can be pretty sure that the history books will paint Hillary Clinton as a superwoman who was robbed of her rightful presidency by a resurgence of racism and hate in the country. And young children will be spoon-fed this lie until most of the people 30 years younger than you will believe it without question.

maybe. i think it's a mistake to think attitudes will always get more socially liberal though

i think for myself

Ya, but experience has shown that history books are usually written by the liberals.

A perfect example would be Nixon. To read the history books, you would think he was an awful man and that the country rejoiced when he finally got pushed out of office.

But the truth was different. America LOVED Nixon and was 100% behind him until near the end. When he finally left office, it was only a small portion of the left who rejoiced. Most of the country was sad and broken hearted.