Non-American here

Non-American here.

What's the difference between the house and the senate? What do they vote on and have power over?

Attached: 1515849385452.jpg (480x623, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

invidio.us/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag
youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_the_Netherlands
vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/maps/voter-turnout
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_War_(91-88_BC)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All spending bills must originate in the house, both houses have to pass legislation and then get 2/3rds majority of there is a veto for it to pass, senate votes on some federal and judicial appointments.

House = Bla bla bla
Senate = Power

The house is representative of and proportional to the common man.
The senate represents the state governments, as the states in this union are sovereign.
Some states got autistic and now common people vote for senators.
The house is supposed to filter out all the shitty bills so only the laws people want get to the senate.
The senate votes on them.
The house writes the federal budget
The senate puts federal personnel and representatives on trial, if need be.
Generally senatorial positions are much more prestigious.

The House approves all new burger recipes. Cheeses, sauces, seasoning. With the Democrats in control they'll never approve the Cambozola legislation.

The Senate makes sure none of our sports make sense to foreigners by constantly changing the rules and terminology.

House writes and proposes bills.
Senate votes them into law.

Both have a bunch of subcommittees with oversight power. But controlling the senate, the executive and judicial branch kinda “Trumps” the house.

A bill needs to be passed by both House and Senate to progress to the President and be signed into law. Most Americans have probably seen this short cartoon on the matter in school:
invidio.us/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag

Who appoints the members of the senate?

basically it means that nothing is going to happen over the next 2 years

There used to be a real difference between them, because the 17th Amendment. The Senate was supposed to represented specifically states, meaning they were two per state regardless of population size and were selected not by the popular vote but by a vote among their state's legislature. The 17th Amendment overturned the latter so that now there is hardly any difference between a Senator and a Representative save that the Senate and House have slightly different powers and duties and have different proportions of people in them.

the house has ALL the power

the senate just look pretty for cameras

They are directly elected. A long time ago the state legislatures appointed them.

House is proportional representation, so Commiefornia and Jew York are big players.
Senate has two representatives from each State to stop the tyranny of the majority.

They used to be appointed by state legislatures. Since about a hundred years ago they are voted on the public.

The 435 House seats are apportioned to the states by population. The Senate is different. Every State only has two Senators to ensure power is not concentrated in the most populated areas of the country. If you want to know about why the republic was structured this way, read the Federalist Papers.

Spending bills must originate in the House. The Senate is empowered to advise and consent on all cabinet nominees and judicial appointments...Supreme Court.

The House and Senate are the Legislative branch of the government. The other two branches are the Judicial and Executive. Each are separate and equal, and are a check on each other. The Founders did not want power concentrated in any one branch.

They are directly elected by their respective state's citizenry. Prior to the ratification of the Seventeenth Amendment in 1913 some states still appointed federal senators through the state legislature.

There are exactly 100 senate seats, so it's easy to see who's winnin'.

How can you win the senate and lose the house... Aren't they on the same ballot? If you vote republican you vote both the same way don't you? I don't get it...can a American explain please?

Thanks.

these are state elections. each state gets 2 senators and a certain amount of people for the house. so Californians and Texans are voting on different people

No. First, House terms are two years and all 435 face elections every two years. A Senate term is six years. Not all senators are up for election at the same time for a variety of reasons...states joined the unions at different times, states decide when told hold elections, etc.

This year, more vulnerable Democrats were facing election in traditionally Republican states. And the weak ones all lost.

Doesn't that mean that the way the House went is more representative of the political climate than the Senate? Which would mean, as it stands right now, 2020 will be a flop.

Eerste kamer en Tweede kamer

Presidents with approval ratings under 50% (i.e., most presidents) usually lose roughly as many House seats as the Republicans just did with President Trump during midterms. Democrats are going to have about a ten seat lead under Trump, but it was about sixty for Republicans under Obama. POTUS Trump is still running strong relative to historical precedent and can be expected to succeed in 2020.

Voting republican doesn't actually mean that you vote for the party and everyone in it you qualify to vote for. While a lot of people say they voted republican or democrat, they do because voted for that particular party's politicians aand rarely cross the party lines. You could still vote for a republican governor and a democratic senator on the same day.

>POTUS Trump is still running strong relative to historical precedent and can be expected to succeed in 2020.
I really hope so. Otherwise I'll just have to settle for Switzerland.

Except if RBG dies then the ass hurt re begins

Only ~1/2 the house and 1/3 the senate are up for election at one time.

Maybe, but the political winds shift rapidly and often in the U.S. If history is an indicator, Trump should win re-election in 2020 by a landslide. Both Bush and Obama lost more seats in the House and Senate in their midterm elections than Trump, and bot went on to easily get re-elected.

If the current numbers hold, this will be an 8 point shift in the nationwide popular vote since 2016.

It will be the biggest one election shift in support to the Democrats since 1948.

This is historic.

Attached: 2018-train.png (1024x560, 492K)

I just hope you're right. It would be sad to see one of the greatest Western nations, founded by Europids, to fall.

Holy shit, lefty memes are still awful.

Attached: 2018-hill.png (622x432, 475K)

>Ms paint memes

This is what I needed. So Senate is de eerste kamer?

Attached: 2018-chopper.png (1493x1567, 822K)

Popular vote means next to nothing in 2020 for presidential elections. We have this thing called the electoral college.

>Funny and original

Attached: 1541507117642.jpg (235x212, 20K)

If it's a 7% lead, Trump has virtually no chance of winning.

The gap in 2016 was a mere 2%, and it was largely thanks to CA and NY.

Being of English heritage, I hate seeing European countries allow the "migrant" invasion.

>All spending bills must originate in the house
So they can just deny any money for any shit Trump passes, right?
So they can just cut all funds for military for example.

I can see democrats asleep ng for impeachment in 2ways: Normal one and by stopping every money from the govern, in other words, ramsom.

I don't understand these pictures, she will never be president, so what is the message here?

voice of the common sheep is more like it

Attached: 1541277757561.gif (600x338, 3.55M)

>asleep ng
I mean, Asking.

hah this is your definition of historic

how is teaching english going out for you s o i b o y

>people still thinking the popular vote means anything

It just means more Republicans stayed home this election. It won't be the same in 2020. Plus, the Democrats don't have a viable candidate yet.

I think they're ironic

Jup. There are of course slight differences between the parliamentary system of our country and that of the US, but in principle they are the same. (For example our prime minister has a similar role to the US president)

Both parties are totally owned by the military industrial complex and AIPAC. Republicans and Democrats are near identical on military spending.

So can republicans still pass house bills or is that very slight majority that democrats got mean something?

Nothing happened when republicans had super majority, now they can just blame dems.

Dems will full throttle investigation, since they now control committee appointments

They can't pass any bills without Democrat support and the Democrat leaders decide which bills gonup for a vote. So they do have the power to creat gridlock.

Moderates in both parties will have to foster greater compromise to get anything passed.

House = Solicitor.
Senate = Door answerer.
>Hi I would like to propose this bi--
>*slams door*

> According to estimates by The New York Times, approximately 114 million votes were cast in US House races in 2018. That's compared to 83 million in 2014.

Turnout was at historically high levels.

What's the role, power and authority of your king?

we're already toast make sure it doesn't happen to Europe

youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

>food and sports analogies
Expected nothing less.

Midterm elections never have the same dynamics of a general presidential election. Trump will win in a landslide , save this post.

This system would work better if you people had more than two parties. won't being a "moderate", aka voting for the other party , kill your political career?

stop linking to jewtube, cuck

Doesn't work that way. The bills first pass the house, then the senate, then the president. Once the bill is enacted, all funds must be spent by law, for the exact reason you mentioned (to prevent ransom-like things from happening). In theory, bill could be passed, and then a Dem house could pass a new bill repealing the older bill, but it would have to pass both the Rep senate and the president's veto.

>won't being a "moderate", aka voting for the other party , kill your political career?
No, most bills are passed with bi-partisan support, usually because they contain different measures of funding for the interests of the corporate backers or constituents of the legislators involved.

It depends on the part of the country they represent. Some moderates have long careers. I agree on the need for more parties but both major parties work together to make it impossible for third parties to have any chance.

I have a question too.

Was it the House, or the Senate who made the Mueller Grand Jury?

Attached: question 13.jpg (686x576, 37K)

>my Jew video hosting website is better than your Jew video hosting website for viewing Jew funded cartoons.

Officially he's the head of state but in reality all he does is smooch with other heads of state and from time to time he 'opens' an event or building. All very ceremonial.

They lean so left that I don't know there will be any "moderate".

Neither, Mueller was appointed by Rod Rosenstein...who works for Trump in chain of command and can be fired. But has great autonomy to run the Russia investigation.

If someone's here tried to be a King, we'd murder him

invidio.us plays the raw jewtube video (not a standard YouTube embed) without giving ad revenue to Google.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_the_Netherlands

It's mostly ceremonial these days

Bush *gained* seats. Obama lost a lot of seats largely because the midterm happened shortly after the worst recession in living memory. Trump is overseeing the strongest economy in 20 years and still lost the House.

Extremism is just partisan rhetoric, at the end of the day everyone on both sides are all corrupt Zionists.

Who owns the website?

California.

>((Rosen))(((stein))) "works for" you
>gets you in trouble
Damn. So that department of Justice really is vital for a stable presidency.

Jeff Sessions was a mistake.

Probably kikes if you follow the money back to the Fed, but at least there are no ads and it's cleaner for it.

The house of representatives allocates seats on the principle of equal representation for each voter. So the more populous the state, the more house members it gets. The Senate allocates seats on the principle of equal representation of the several states. So each state gets 2 senators no matter what. The senate gets to ratify treaties and high-level appointments, including to the Supreme Court. Legislation needs to pass both houses before the President can sign it into law.

I know you are a nigger country no need to brag.

Both chambers need to vote on a bill for it to become law. 2/3rds of both houses are needed to overrule presidential veto and to pass constitutional amendments (the later which also requires 3/4ths of states to ratify)

House:
435 members. Distributed amongst states according to their population.
Elected for 2 year terms mostly in small districts.
Has the power of /initiating/ impeachment procedings.
Spending bills must originate from the House.

Senate:
2 senators pr state
Elected in state wide elections for 6 year terms
Judges impeachments (2/3rd majority required for conviction.
Confirmation of appointments (Judges, Secretaries, Heads of departments and agencies)
Ratification of treaties (requires 2/3rd majority) which may have the force of law.
According to senate rules 3/5th majority is required to end a so called filibuster, but senate rules may be changed by simple majority ("nuclear option"). Exceptions to this have been made for appointments and spending bills.

Sessions was the worst mistake Trump made so far. Presidents need to have strong, loyal Attorney Generals. Like Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch we're to Obama.

Factor in the differences in how the media treats Trump compared to Obama

> year
>not using ublock / noscript / umatrix / etc and keeping shit like google-analytics disabled

Trump could easily fire Mueller any time. The problem is that the house could then rehire him to continue the investigation, outside of Trump's chain of command. The whole reason Mueller got appointed in the first place was because the house was threatening to do just that. At least this way Trump's people got to choose who ran the investigation. Trump picked Rosenstein, Rosenstein picked Mueller.

It's very possible to win one else and lose the other. Different candidates are running for different positions. People might like the Republican Senate candidate, but not their Republican Representative candidate.

When you do that, you "split your ticket". It means you don't vote for only one party. I did that because I live in Michigan and was not going to vote for a nigger for Senate, but voted for the old ugly hag Stabenow.

And, I think the parliamentary system is similar to ours. You have the House of Commons vs. the House of Lords. One is supposed to be for the common-man and the other represent the elite.

Do you expect the media will be treating Trump any better in 2020?

Wrong. vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/maps/voter-turnout

>when
Ftfy

The House of Representatives is the lower house, and the Senate is the upper house.

I'll keep it as simple as possible.

Senate = eerste kamer
House = tweede kamer

Well, you are right. They don't make sense. I think they are just a taunt against /pol by stealing the Pepe meme. (Left can meme too!)

Hillary has literally spoken out against Pepe, so the meme makes no sense at all.
1. Hillary is not in power so she can't be smug. (Crying Wojak looking at White House from outside the fence is most appropriate).

2. She hates that frog and denounced him during the 2016 election.

Author of meme needs to kill himself rapidly.

Attached: 1539831694629.png (916x513, 909K)

This. Also,
>The senate represents the state governments, as the states in this union are sovereign.
Top. Fucking. Kek. [spoiler]Not as of the Social Wa- I mean, the Civil War.[/spoiler]

lol fail
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_War_(91-88_BC)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

>The house is representative of and proportional to the common man.

So Democrats won then? It's proportional representation. Repulicans holding the country hostage!

USAs only hope is to split into North and South again. All the whites go one direction, all the others go another direction. Then you build a big fat wall between them.

Aa the others said, mostly ceremonian.
But before a law is passed the king kust sign off on it. Thats the final stage of the law making process.

That seems like a lot of power, but the king is obligated to sign any proposed law that is presented to him.

As far as I know a king or queen never refused to sign in the Netherlands. The king of Belgium once refused to sign a law that was about abortion, as a responce Belgium didn't have a king for a day or 2.

I use ublock, but I find redirecting YouTube URLs to invidio.us URLs to be useful anyway--cleaner interface, no tracking or ads even without an extension, no regional restrictions, right click video to save, suggested videos related to current video instead of sponsored links or shit based on what I was watching yesterday.