He's not a Stoic

>he's not a Stoic
>he lets himself be governed by material desires, his emotions, and how other people feel

Is Stoicism the most redpilled philosophy?

Attached: 1407725399148.jpg (640x480, 214K)

There's some autist that is going to post a copy pasta about how stoicism is Jewish and Julius Caesar was the greatest man who ever lived

Get your facts straight nigger

Attached: 1537742945629.jpg (600x980, 151K)

This, I hate seeing false quotes, especially ones that change the meaning of another quote.

Attached: 32573924579889732.png (500x500, 43K)

That sounds pretty cucked desu
>Work hard for mr. Goldstein
>Give shekels to tyrone
>Let tyrone bang your wife
>Dont let your emotions get in the way

>material desires
Anti-material reality is escapism from crazy religous cults, not Stoic.

See this forest. It's "materialism" ooooh!

Attached: 95b3803de47e92e9fad754dc5b0178d985a6742534568ce7e17ecca842fc3105.jpg (1039x1574, 505K)

It was Epicurus conflation

Attached: epicurus god.jpg (1920x1080, 180K)

just a different translateion

Not becoming an emotional wreck at every inconvenience in your life doesn't mean suffering injustice you fucking high schooler

>he hasn’t even read Meditations and relies on fake quotes made by pleddit atheists

It’s fake nigger

can you not reader whant i say

Reading comprehension, Gypsy.
He says in the fake one that there is no god.
In the real one he says that if there are gods.

materialism is the difference between being naked in a blizzard or having a warm heavy coat

Thank you. I hate seeing that fake quote too.
It's really sad reading Meditations and seeing how down to Earth was he, constantly telling himself that he'll be forgotten, that he's old and is wasting time and never having some narcissistic thoughts despite being the leader of the most of known world at the time. Truly a great man.

I have never seen any prove that the Meditations were really written by Marcus Aurelius, everyone just claim they were.

That's an asiatic slave philosophy

It’s literally the opposite. Either one is real or the other. And unlike you I’ve actually read Meditations and know that the atheist one is fake

It is hard to have proof of such a thing

>Gypsy.
american education...

Mistook your flag for Romanian, didn't hover.
They're Gypsies.

he didn't write the meditations while he was emperor, right? i thought he wrote them while he was a foot soldier

>become a stoic
>realize that not complaining or being sad about misfortunes also means not bragging or being joyful about achievements
>By the time this occurred to you, it was too late to feel one way or the other about it

stoics are based

Attached: brans.png (498x876, 497K)

He gives a lot of shout-outs in the first book of Meditations. Towards his family, friends and teachers.

>Live a good life

What's a good life?

that one's fake too
(that was probably your joke, but I have to be an autist and point that out.)

Are you retarded? That guy's from Belgium, you fat mongoloid. Second, the first translation is not fake and it does not say that there is no god you fucking turd-sucker.

Also it's hilarious how you ape fuckers are fighting over stupid quotes taken out of context and you probably never read a book, because if you did then you would've known that different translations exist for authors and you can NEVER say that something is "according to the original author" when that something is a fucking translation man, how fucking stupid can you get? I swear to god that you fucking morons are the human equivalent of bee drones.

It's not like there's no humor in it.

Attached: 12347987877823.jpg (700x700, 77K)

colorblind and retarded
seems like you have too much fat in your brain, turd-sucker

He was emperor at the time when wrote it from what i understand. He alludes to it in meditations.

Attached: 1541567697983.jpg (654x900, 104K)

My translation said that he was about 50 when he wrote the second book. So he had to have been an Emperor by then.

>Is he able, but not willing?
>Then he is malevolent.
If there is a God, He can do what the fuck he wants and there is nothing you can do about it, simple as fuck.

And they say old men have no sense of humor.

Attached: pftciabvqs.jpg (700x982, 52K)

It could be attributed to him, like fake the Pauline letters or fake books by Galen even published while he was still alive.

Many many people in antiquity used the name of someone famous (and biographical facts about that person) to strengthen their argument.

My point is: when are the Meditations first mentioned in the records? Is anyone ever commenting on it in the first century after his death?

the best you can

literally no one says that
everybody knows old men are funny as fuck

no I don't think so. totally different messages
>aurelius: accept fate
>epicurus: god doesn't make sense

Attached: IMG_1585.jpg (547x388, 76K)

The only philosophy you need is that The LORD our God is one God. Walk the path of righteousness by following His laws and statutes.

may be a creator of this reality, this place
maybe this place was made to accomplish something & we're the focus
but any of the gods we talk about on earth, that nonsense & fairytale shit was made up by humans and fake/gay
why was it made up
two reasons
1: because they didnt have finger printing or cameras, they needed a way to force evil people to behave, so they use them to scare bad people into not doing evil shit
2: because we need answers, and at the time, and still now, we can't get all the answers we seek, so it was a band-aid to quickly explain things

Attached: 1439472398666.jpg (731x565, 26K)

stoicism and early buddhism go hand in hand. it's why buddhism is perfect for the White Man

This.

>wife gets raped
“Oh well, no point in getting mad about it, we’re all gonna die anyway.”
>get mugged
“Oh well...”
Literally cucked

>therefore
whats your point and who cares? are you saying its wrong?

user that is the best pepe i have seen in all of my shitposting life thankyou for posting it

Attached: fucking gold.jpg (900x900, 275K)

Attached: jew_basic.jpg (220x220, 19K)

>wife fucks nigger
>overcome with emotion kill nigger and whore
>go to jail for life over some nigger and a cheating whore
literally ape like behaviour.

Well, I don't know honestly. It's never stated in the books "I am Marcus Aurelius, son of that and that". It's really written for himself. Most names are written on first name basis, sometimes it's not even know whom he thinks about when he writes about certain person. If Aurelius did not write this, someone very close to him had to have, because the books involve and mention a lot of people with whom Aurelius was in contact with. I think it's safe to assume he did write it. He was thought by the Stoics after all, and the writings do fit his description by other people.

Christianity is Stoicism.

>Christianity is Stoicism.
why?

>kill nigger and go to jail
>fight mugger and die
>mugger goes on to more stealing (and assumably goes back to sleeping with your wife)
>you go to jail and other niggers go to take his place

OR
>get mugged and return with the law to stop him forever and others like him
>though if you’re armed at time of mugging may as well be wise to fight
>put roastie whore out on the streets and fuck Tyrone before the eyes of the law
>leaves you able to act again and live freely, and leaves society net better as more bad guys are ruined and more good guys rise to/remain in power

>get mugged
“Oh well...
VS
>get mugged
>shoot nig
>court rules in favor of self defense, justified to protect life, liberty, and property

must be nice to have the simple mind of a teenager

You guys are such thick brained. This is not what meditations is teaching. Just read the book, you might be able to learn something for once

>teleology
>catholic doctrine in particular largely draws text and reasoning from Greek and Roman tradition
>emphasizes the importance of virtue and character over material gain
>understands and is predicated on the struggle of man against corruption of both his own will and society at large
>clearly states the only concern is living a righteous life that tolerates no wrong
>virtue ethics
>etc.
How is it not? Aquinas, Moore, the church fathers, the Bible itself, even not quite Christian thinkers like Camus

>rejection of earthly pleasures
>focusing on metaphysical
>enduring the life's suffering without complaints
>patience towards those who would harm you/do not understand you etc
>in Orthodoxy Stoic idea of dispassion is accepted

etc etc more here as well

God knows that for there to be free will he has to allow evil to happen since evil manifests itself in men.

>just gods don't care about devotion just be virtuous in your own way
bluepilled
>not governed by material desires, emotions, and feelings of others
As a worldview this sounds like literal autism or socio/psychopathy. I'd hesitate on taking such concepts beyond a common sense understanding of them.

>The LORD our God is one God
>The (a) our (b) is one (b)
how the fuck is this a philosophy, or a way of life, or an outlook, or an ethical code, a mindset, an answer, an understanding or have ANY FUCKING MEANING?

Attached: IMG_3130.jpg (480x480, 71K)

thanks. looks like i saved it around 2016 great meme war time. didnt seem too special at the time. has quality dropped off? pic saved around same time

Attached: IMG_1613.png (227x239, 79K)

Stoicism is very good, but the Meditations are not a good book for beginners.
It is easy to read, but it is also very easy to misunderstand if you don't know what he meant and what is the purpose of the text.
So, you end up with super hedonistic people like Bill Clinton claiming it is his favorite book.
I think that Epictetus' Discourses and Seneca's books would be better.

Studying Stoicism is probably very good if you want to understand Christian Ethics.

Why must Christcucks insert themselves into everything?

>As a worldview this sounds like literal autism or socio/psychopathy. I'd hesitate on taking such concepts beyond a common sense understanding of them.
That's because you don't have a good understanding of their philosophy...

we're even in your flag

Masonic symbolism in your flag. So what?

It's worth reading first if the translator has a good foreword, but I actually agree with that. Meditations can really be confusing if you don't already understand stoic tenants.

I think that "The Inner Citadel" is a good read if you want to read the Meditations. But I would read Epictetus before, too.

Wow, this is some serious defense mechanism. Reads like a Russian flagging via proxy.

I'm talking about modern people LARPing as stoics

bump

Do you guys read it in Koine Greek in school?

Read Meditations you mean? Well we have both ancient greek and latin classes, so not necessarily in just Koine

Sorry, I meant Epictetus. For some reason I had it in mind, but forgot to mention it.

Oh, then well even though I don't remember the specific books we did back in the day, we studied these texts with Ancient or Koine Greek and modern Demotic, but also sometimes Katharevousa side by side, to learn the language, surprisingly it's not that difficult if you know even modern Greek, it is more familiar

Does the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" have any meaning outside spiderman?

Traduttore, traditore.

Satan agrees.

Are there many people who are still influenced by the philosophers or is it like the rest of the West with the whole Hollywood ethics of instant gratification?

Julius Caesar was the greatest man who ever lived. Stoicism is for kikes

Attached: 1525747145174.png (557x798, 268K)

This is the best introduction for normies. Worked well for me. Recommended.

And of a Roman Emperor too, so what's your point?

At worst we lose the hability to attack his teachings with strawmans like the leaf above did. Critize ideas not the man.

Well the western influence is really starting to harm us here, but the occasional people that study and take philosophy seriously still exist. I've met some really down to earth folks here, and Greece's masonic origins with the Society of Friends in Odessa have really contributed to that around here, one thing is certain and that is if you seek to discuss philosophy, politics or religion, the everyman could mostly hold up a conversation.

STOICISM IS A MORTAL SIN IN CATHOLICISM FOR 2000 YEARS

>both Chrysippus and Zeno being coincident in opinion on this point. And they likewise supposed God to be the one originating principle of all things, being a body of the utmost refinement, and that His providential care pervaded everything; and these speculators were positive about the existence of fate everywhere, employing some such example as the following: that just as a dog, supposing him attached to a car, if indeed he is disposed to follow, both is drawn, or follows voluntarily, making an exercise also of free power, in combination with necessity, that is, fate; but if he may not be disposed to follow, he will altogether be coerced to do so.
Refutation of All Heresies I.18 by St Hippolytus

>Dispassion which is often misunderstood and mistranslated as 'apathy, indifference,' or 'insensibility' in the stoic sense IN ecclesiastical greek, dispassion from passion through being filled with the Holy Spirit of God as a fruit of divine love. I tis a state of soul in which a burning love for God and mean leaves no room for selfish and animal passions. How far it is from the Stoic conception may be seen from teh fact that St Diadorchus can speak of the fire of dispassion?
Ladder of Divine Ascent by St John Climacus Moore Footnotes, translated by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore

Attached: The Classics Guide Pt 2.jpg (1967x5124, 1.33M)

Attached: Stoics II.png (2148x5828, 1.7M)

That's nice. At the same time it's kind of sad that even if people do study philosophy and can discuss it, Western hedonism still can spread its harm.
When I studied Stoicism (not in school or university, but self study), it did have a pretty good effect on myself.

This has primary citations stating that Stoics taught to live in a communal sex cult justifying it on the basis of it being common property to the state

hey faggots is this the book you found at the goystore?

Attached: gay.jpg (500x500, 48K)

Attached: biblsabvas.jpg (1024x860, 102K)

Aww it's soo cute the little illiterate goy is trying to meme.

AWWW YOU CANT REFUTE ME. PROVE IT EMPIRICALLY FAGGOT

Attached: Janus bust.jpg (381x400, 50K)

Anyways about Sophists I think personally it's valuable to know in the face of those who will try to use those sophist tactics against you, and to know the value of scepticsm when debating athiests. But I wouldn't find value in it trying to justify immorality that some of them demonstrate. But it's good to know what ways people will try to talk out of things.

>Is Stoicism the most redpilled philosophy?
Stoicism is not a philosophy. It`s more a way of life.

>But I wouldn't find value in it trying to justify immorality that some of them demonstrate.
I mean I dont approve of that use of it

In their era, that was how they viewed philosophy.
Marcus Aurelius was considered a philosopher not because he has written a book, but because of how he lived his life.

False, if you ever bothered to read works like Categories by Aristotle Critique of Pracitical Reason by Immanuel Kant you'd see the only philosphers that are taken truly seriously are the ones that formulate and logically prove things, not just ethics, but things like universals and particulars, debates over the existence of numbers and how they operate in the mind of God. Not just
>WIIISSSE ADVICE FROM THE SAGE OF WISDOM

Stoicism is boring

>If there are gods they will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.

I'm not even sure if you will be judged by that. After all even virtues are a product of genetics and outside circumstances.

I'm not arguing about your opinion of what a philosopher is, but about what they considered a philosopher was in the era of Marcus Aurelius.

Best to put a footnote in here to explain I don't approve of this nonsense. I don't anons thinking that this is supporting degeneracy'

No they didn't

Attached: The Classics Guide Pt 2 fixed.jpg (1967x5124, 2.89M)

Marcus Aurelius was very unpopular in his own day AND Stoicism was very unpopular with differing philosophical schools. It's been always a meme

>be an asshole
>if there are gods then they'll smite you anyway
>if there are no gods you get free pussy and whatever you want
>if there are gods they're probably pussies who can't come outright and tell you they exist
Marcus Aurelius was a boy-diddling cuck.