Protectionism, was it really that bad in the past?

Did tariffs really hurt America in the 1950s?

Attached: 5A7732FA-09CF-4CFF-B34B-5886E10188C5.png (640x485, 20K)

Depends on how you mean “bad”. Immigration has been its highest when tariffs are broad (not necessarily high). Look what’s happening now. Trump is reconstituting tariffs and immigration hasn’t slowed and we have more job openings than people looking for jobs.

Why are tariffs and immigration linked? Japan has modest tariffs on many goods, but stringent immigration laws.

It’s America. The whole “nation of immigrants” meme is real. And look at Japan now, they’re increasing immigration.

I would say that US legal immigration that is not linked to family is one of the hardest systems in the world.

Here in Europe, most countries allow people to move to any EU state if they get a job and earn rather low sums (50k, often lower). In most of these cases, it’s not even checked if there is a local European who could also do the job. Even more so, you can “buy” EU citizenship in Cyprus, Malta, Portugal etc. by just buying apartments there as long as the sum paid is above a certain threshold.

I believe America has way more brutal standards.

Well, it’s that chain migration that’s fucking us in the ass. There’s a running joke about cab drivers not speaking English. The reason for that is, cabbies lease out their medallions. So they’ll lease it to a foreigner who then uses it to sponsor all his cousins because he can give them jobs driving cabs. As soon as they get an “in” they’re able to flood the local job market with their 101 relatives.

Yes, America somehow loves family immigration. Really curious. Here in Germany, although people seem to say otherwise, we have extremely harsh conditions for family immigration. E.g. asylum seekers need to proof they got a job, a large enough apartment, their spouses / kids they want to bring speak rudamentary German and will be covered by healthcare insurance. And we even capped family immigration for asylum seekers to 1000 per month (and we aren’t even reaching this figure at all). And all other family immigration happens when someone legally immigrates to start a job and takes his spouse / kids with them. It is impossible to get cousins or parents in.

No. The arguments used to justify free trade are based on assumptions which are completely invalid. Even David Ricardo himself predicted the mass off-shoring of industries that we have seen under (((free trade))).

Pic related shows the family relation immigration by year to Germany (not including from the EU/Switzerland, Israel, the US and Canada where there are special deals... )

Attached: B231623A-9652-4DA3-85D6-0E58EE018D69.jpg (1662x935, 336K)

What’s the solution? Can countries rebuild their manufacturing industries with good solid tariffs?

It's either that, or become a vassal of China.

The way it used to work was, people would come here and earn enough to bring their families. Now, people come here and startup their own businesses or work as subcontractors (essentially your own business) then theyre allowed to sponsor their family because they can put them to work. It’s an immigration system which was written up prior to cheap mass transit and designed when it was actually difficult to arrive on our shores. Europe may be ahead of us in that regard because you have land bridges to more populace areas. We only have one route to walk in.

We’re doing it. You did it.

I agree to some extend. Although I think individual European countries will be hard pressed to rebuild all their manufacturing capabilities individually, rather than combined.

The EU is structured to make that all but impossible. Destroying that institution should be priority number 1.

Their industries are outsourced. It's undoable.

My point was that I don’t think small countries like Austria or Estonia will be able to build up their own iPhone plants or textilr manufacturing.

Maybe not smartphones, but why not textiles, or other basic manufactured goods that don't require global supply lines?

Textiles actually require large scale investments these days, it’s all machine based to manufacture textile products. Only the manufacturing of the clothing using the cloth incredient can be done on small scales (Zara produces locally in Spain and Portugal).

Immigration system was completely different back then. The immigrants that came and failed went back home, they didn’t squat and get welfare and complian about stolen land

Nationalists put tarrifs on shit to protect native jobs and industries.
Protectionism is nationalism 101.
You give favourable trade to your allies and everyone else can get fucked.
When we did this in Australia we had secure jobs and every shitkicker could afford his own roof and a family.
This kind of nationalism is what I want for my country.
Free traders are fucking assholes who destroy jobs and wages and then say the only way we can be "competitive" is to import more cunts to drive down wages.
If you ever meet a Free Trader, punch him in the fucking throat.

Import certificates