Wat did you do???

theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019464/Jow Forums-user-anime-haruhi-math-mystery

Attached: 2018_11_19_01.11.51_edit.jpg (1440x2097, 256K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/njwildberger
theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019464/Jow
archive.is/iD5yi
quantamagazine.org/sci-fi-writer-greg-egan-and-anonymous-math-whiz-advance-permutation-problem-20181105/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw i was in the original /sci/ thread
there's some seriously good discussion going ont here sometimes when nobody's posting a 0.9999999999.....=1 thread

Attached: 1542041050930.jpg (666x1024, 89K)

>you
you mind want to take this thread to /sci/ buddy, we are all retards here

brought america to its knees

Attached: 77777777777777777777.jpg (1280x720, 262K)

>we are all retards here
Speak for yourself, nigger.

I good but it's still not that great from an academic pov sincehe didn't demonstrate his method.

What, it isn't?
In practice it's basically the same.

Attached: 2018_11_19_01.27.41_edit.jpg (1341x1365, 227K)

Why is this important
It's literally just running factorials and doing basic calculations, it's no mystery.

wtf does 'in practice' mean it's either the same or it isnt .
and they are two representations of the same fucking number only retarded autists keep posting those 0.9999...=1 threads .

wildburger threads are much better , he's the trump of mathematics
youtube.com/user/njwildberger

Attached: 1542041235360.jpg (480x333, 16K)

modern news is just pandering to zoomers
what engages zoomers more than anime and Jow Forums

>It's literally just running factorials and doing basic calculations, it's no mystery.

I recall an user that did so many math that he ended proving anime dimesion where his waifu was at was without question real.

>That will be $2.99... for your burger sir
>Patiently wait for 0.001 in return
In practice it's $3 but for mathautists it's "not the same"

>The user was just trying to figure out the most efficient way to watch episodes of a nonlinear anime series

2.999 is not the same as 3 at all you dummy that's not the claim
is notation used by mathematicians to indicate the there are infinite '9' digits after the ones i typed
3-2.99... = 0 not 0.001

>wat did you do?
the problem they're having here is the kids are trapped deep inside the cave, and they're having trouble getting to the outside of the cave where they need to go. if they can find a way to get from the inside of the cave to the outside of the cave then boom - now they're in a much better position to turn this thing arou

Attached: 1531014701558.jpg (250x206, 7K)

You see, the problem is that the reality of the situation is much more complicated. It is true that the kids must first begin from where they are, that is, deep in the cave. However being that they are deep in the cave they must overcome this issue, that they are deep in the cave. If the Thai bois are to overcome this problem they will need to move from the area deep within the cave to an area a bit closer to the place they need to be, which is outside the cave.

Attached: 1531007932527.jpg (508x489, 33K)

This is complicated because there is a WHOLE area within the cave that is further from the entrance than where the boys are now. You might ask yoursef 'why is this a problem?'. Well, the reason that this is a problem is mostly that there is also an area very different to the area that is further from the entrance of the cave. This area is known as 'the area nearer to the entrance within the cave'.
It's really tough but I think we can all agree the jews are responsible for the most part.

Attached: 1530285960392.png (720x644, 31K)

Ah but the real problem, aside from going to the area that is nearer the entrance of the cave and not going to the area that is not nearer the entrance of the cave, is that the area that is nearer the entrance of the cave is flooded with water. Exacerbating this problem is that the area that is not nearer the entrance of the cave is also flooded with water. This is a predicament.

Attached: 1530285934613.png (720x644, 45K)

Assuming they can overcome this confusion and indeed choose the path to the area that is nearer the entrance of the cave, the problem is only compounded by the fact that the boys need air to breathe. The problem stemming from the fact that the area that is nearer the entrance of the cave is flooded by water and that this water (by virtue of being water) is in fact not air and is therefore not breathable, thus impeding their traversal to the area that is nearer the entrance of the cave.

Attached: 1530981553446.png (572x505, 92K)

so from what I can glean from what OP has communicated here as well as from the thoughtful replies, the fundamental problem which is currently being faced by the thai children is that they, that is, the thai children, are specifically trapped deep inside the cave. not simply in the cave, and not simply anywhere in the cave, but specifically trapped, deep within the cave (the thai children are).

Attached: 6f334dd0-2353-4a32-9fe7-b60a0122c5a0.png (400x400, 8K)

what appears to be making this a more fascinating scenario is that they are not just 'trapped' in the cave, but from what I can tell, it seems to be that everyone in this situation would prefer to specifically be outside of the cave, which is coincidentally where they need to go. so the big question mark regarding these thai children, who are trapped deep within the cave, is how to get them outside from deep within the cave, where they are currently trapped and have a stated preference to not be.

Attached: 1531015670158.jpg (1024x904, 74K)

the saving grace here is that, it's really a very simple problem, which i did not understand at first, but i've managed to piece it together from everyone in this thread

Attached: 1538596841039.jpg (236x214, 8K)

DAS RITE MANE, WE WUZ SCI KANGZ! SHEEEET WE SOLVE MATH PUZZLEZ AN SHEEEET

You especially.

Ok which one of you geniuses was it
There are many high iq people here it is not even funny

>There are many high iq people here
thank you

Attached: 1530563401149.jpg (250x250, 9K)

Old news.
>It's literally just running factorials and doing basic calculations, it's no mystery.
Superpermutation for 7 is 5 numbers shorter than fractional. For 8 is 28 shorter, etc.

>swedish education

>Who would win: 10,000 well-established mathematicians from Cambridge University
>or one sweaty internet weeb

Attached: anime avatars.gif (312x234, 2.85M)

>2.99 for burger
>hand $3.oo
umm your .20c short the the govermnet has to eat also.

Attached: 1538067242053.jpg (800x450, 44K)

>there's some seriously good discussion going ont here sometimes when nobody's posting a 0.9999999999.....=1 thread

science shitposters, tasty

>not even an explanation or a formula
how is there even a range of number of episodes? isn't it just a single amount you'd need to watch and that's it?

/sci/ are being nerds again

>There are many high iq people here it is not even funny
Yea we're so smart we're practically incapable of functioning properly.

Attached: I unironically do this when im bored.jpg (680x490, 73K)

Attached: pol_meme_ball_by_neetsfagging322297-db21d9m.png (600x555, 210K)

If you have two episodes, 40 minutes each, you can watch them as 1-2, then 2-1, effectively spending on it 2 hours and 40 minutes, but watching in every way possible. Or you could watch them as 1-2-1, thus watching in every way possible and spending only 2 hours on it.

Huh. That's interesting and practical. Still, it's just running down numbers in a way that we've done with millions of other things.

>theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019464/Jow Forums-user-anime-haruhi-math-mystery
>/sci/ are being nerds again

> if you wanted to watch 14 episodes of the anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in every possible order, what’s the shortest string of episodes you’d need to watch?

It gets even funnier when you realise what the problem was in real life.

It's the most Jow Forums problem you could think of.

I'm not really sure what the implications are though? Shortest route lookup? Search optimization? Seems limited, but fun anyway.

This, what do they mean by 'shortest' and 'string', why would the quantity 14 and 'episode' be different in a different order?

Oh fuck it.
Maths isn’t real.
Who here has used maths even once since they left school?

Attached: 1478FF53-DA41-44AE-BB8A-633A96448960.jpg (1080x1440, 288K)

>it's the same if you round down
not at all the point of mathematics and if people like you were the only people on earth we'd be living in caves like thick browed morons.
ur a fag

>anime
this is /pol sweetheart nobody has the IQ to do anything beyond algebra 1, if that

Haruhi was one of the first big anime on Jow Forums that non-anime watching people also got into. I remember how pervasive it was on boards that were totally unrelated to anime. I'm not surprised in the slightest Haruhi is related to this.

They want to know what the least number of viewings would be to see all of the episode in every possible order.

I don't understand the question. Is it asking how to make it the shortest? That's easy.
Is it asking what episodes you'd need to watch in order to understand the plot? That's subjective and not a math question.

shortest marathon of haruhi to get every possible episode combination, however you can also take substrings of the marathon so there is no distinct endpoint to watchthroughs
what I want to know is how they handled Endless Eight

Attached: 1514371243038.jpg (872x1200, 166K)

>Still, it's just running down numbers in a way that we've done with millions of other things.
Isn't this what is math about? Yet, look at all the bullshit they teach and do with it. And they always find a new ways to run down the numbers. This Harihi Problem is the same - it appears simple, but it's actually hard because you can spin numbers any way to get any answers, but proving those answers is another mater entirely, especially if you aiming at the lowest possible bound for given number, not to mention if that number is above 6-9.

oh sorry, retard here that makes sense.

>Ok which one of you geniuses was it
Well, I usually prefer to be humble, but on this momentous occasion I'll go ahead and step up to claim my glory. I've been thinking about setting up a gofundme or Patreon account. Anyone interest in donating me money for being awesome?

TFW the Haruhi Equation is just the tip of the iceberg.

Attached: trash panda.jpg (1280x720, 173K)

i dont know what the fuck is going on but my sides are gone

A toast to good company, bois.

Attached: a_toast.jpg (330x1648, 55K)

No its a combination problem

Say you have a series with 3 episodes. And wou want to know all the different ways to order them, the questions is what is known number of episodes you would need to watch in order to see if you've already watched that episode.

The possible orders are

But you only need to know the first two episodes to know if you've already watched it in that order and the 3rd episoded can be inferred from the first two, the particular question has 14 episodes.

At least I think that's what it's asking

>Is it asking what episodes you'd need to watch in order to understand the plot?
Apparently the show was designed to not follow a linear plot line and can be viewed in any combination of episodes. Never watched it, that's just what I read a few weeks back when this first popped up.

you know the real reason theyve been holding off on it though lets not pretend like some autists just outsmarted some dedicated lifelong mathematicians
if they "solve" it but dont tell anyone thats practically unlimited funding because you can show progress but dont actually have to give the answer until the client is at their wits end then all of a sudden "oh its a miracle we were up all night and we got it"

is this Haruhi anime any good?
I have distaste for time travel shenanigans after Lain

its basically steins gate but with high school slice of life

It's shite, waifu tier plot, no mystery or interest
Only watch if your brain needs a cooldown from lain.
Stick to oldschool, can't go wrong.

Alright, and I guess anything with Shinchiro Watanabe, the man shits solid gold.

if 0.999... has infinite digits then eventually it will be 1

stop trying to jew me down on the price

skip the endless eight

You can now see in real time how Jow Forums (est. 2012) turned this whole website into complete shit.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.12.26 PM.png (989x748, 135K)

It still sounds like a subjective question because it's based on the viewers understanding of what they're seeing, right?
I dunno, man. Usually I'm pretty good at math stuff but I can't seem to understand what it's asking exactly. Maybe my brain is starting to smoothen out.

Post more haruhi in rabbit suit

nah it's more like nobody knew the practical applications of such calculations and never bothered with it

that's it until some otaku brought a genuine question involving superpermutations and someone had to answer it

Na you guys don't get it, let me help. If I have two episodes and I want to watch them in every possible order, then the orders are:
So that's 4 episodes in total, but if I watch them in the order 121, then I have done both orders, overlapping, and only had to watch three episodes in total, not four. Get it? I watched 12 and 21 in there in the following places: [12]1 and 1[21].

So let's do three episodes. The orders are like you said, so one stupid answer to how to watch them in every order is to just go through your list, like this:

123 132 213 231 312 321

But that's 18 episodes of viewing. If I can be clever and overlap them like with the 121 example, then I can over every order in less than 18, like this:

That covers all six combinations, as you can see:

[123]2132312
1232[132]312
123213[231]2
123[213]2312
12[321]32312
1232132[312]

And I only had to watch a total of 10 episodes, not 18. I don't know if this is the best solution out there, because I just made it up, but you get the idea. Right?

With 3 you have 6 ways in watching them all, i.e. it would be 18 episodes total if you marathon them in one go. But smarter way will give you only 9 episodes. Pic related.

By the way, with 14 episodes you have 87.178.291.200 ways of watching it, and if you're dumb you will watch total of 99.153.331.200 episodes instead of 93.884.313.611, which should be like a couple of million years shorter.

Attached: 1.png (211x153, 1K)

you're getting to hung up on the episodes, the question is actually solely based on numbers
the whole anime thing just makes it a word problem

H(1) = 1 [1]
H(2) = 3 [121]
H(3) = 9 [123121321]
At least that’s what ai think it’s about.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I GET IT NOW
That's a tough question and I'd imagine it'd take a lot of time. In surprised it took 25 years to have a hint towards the answer though. You'd think someone would have figured it out much sooner. That said, some people probably didn't put a lot of effort to figure it out hence why it's taking so long.

Yeah, Jow Forums guy found a lower bound. Someone else found an upper bound and found a counterexample to a conjectured formula. So Jow Forums guy contributed to a problem. But it's a 25-year-old math problem that's still open? This is just clickbait. Technically correct, yes. But there are thousands of small open problems that get very little attention. Now, a lower bound on its own actually wouldn't really be publishable. Like, without knowing there are counterexamples to the conjectured formula, one wouldn't just publish any old lower bound.

great explanation bong

namefags btfo

Well it's still in general an unsolved problem, 2011Anon just gave a lower bound (ie he gave an answer which is lower than the real answer, so you don't know what the real answer is but you know something it's definitely bigger than). As you can see from how weird my example with three "episodes" is, there's some complicated shit going on in there. In general I think humans are much stupider than they want to admit to themselves.

You may be right. I'd imagine the number is some absurdly large one and I'd also imagine it'd be pretty easy to fuck up somewhere along the line. Still, a pretty interesting question. Can't wait for some aspie to figure it out.

user noticed that they were made in loops

123 -> 231 -> 312

Wouldn't that be a flat number though, with no minimum possible of maximum possible. Forgive me if im being especially retarded today but having never watched Haruhi and only having second hand knowledge of what the endless eight is I cant imagine this is a problem that would be too much of a problem other than getting your math tables out to count off all of the possible combinations

archive.is/iD5yi
archive.is/iD5yi
archive.is/iD5yi
USE ARCHIVES YOU SHITTERS
STOP GIVING THEM AD REVENUE
STOP GIVING THEM PAGE VIEWS
STARVE OUT THE MEDIA SHILLS
archive.is/iD5yi
archive.is/iD5yi
archive.is/iD5yi

I don't know what this image references, but it sure is funny.

It's even better. He solved an incredibly difficult combinatronic problem because smug Kurisu said he should be able to solve it.

1/3 = 0.3333...
2/3 = 0.6666...
3/3 = 0.9999... also known as 1

you niggers really have a long way to go if you want to be treated as humans instead of animals

Problem with problem solving is that it requires a desire and a goal.

Math researchers have a problem where they aren't satisfying any needs or wants in their attempt to solve math riddles.

The true potential of raw, weaponized autism.

Attached: 702D89E7-45E7-4B23-A263-08B5787E3B05.jpg (750x745, 407K)

What's sad is that this user math genius never claimed credit and that the person who created the original thread left a Google Doc open in hopes the user math genius would keep contributing but that user math genius cut off communication and was never heard again.

Hope nothing bad happened to that user.

Jow Forums staff could help idenitify to poster though if they felt like it.

Just check the /sci/ database and check the IP and see if that user math genius poster had ever created a trip or name on Jow Forums and posted on /sci/ or other boards and left any email or contact information before.

Even better, that user math genius poster, if he or she got a ban or warning before, would also help the mods discover who he or she could be.

To be fair I put WAY more effort into proving people wrong on Jow Forums than I do at work. I don't see why mathematicians would be any different.

Attached: you should be able to solve this.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

Verge is not the best site about this Jow Forums Haruhi math problem.

quantamagazine.org/sci-fi-writer-greg-egan-and-anonymous-math-whiz-advance-permutation-problem-20181105/

>Mystery Math Whiz

How did they know he was a +30yo virgin?

>gloating about stealing someone else's work and breakthrough
This guy is disgusting.

You think non-wizards can accomplish such great things? No man, it was obvious he was a wizard.

We all know a jew won't setlle for anything less than 6%.

>In less than an hour, an anonymous person offered an answer
It took 3 days and 3 threads. The fact that he posted solution in the third thread doesn't mean he solved it the moment thread appeared and wrote everything in less than a hour. Fucking faggots.

that's the spirit of the board that person didn't want anything from it

>Jow Forums staff could help idenitify to poster though if they felt like it.

They really can't.

I know you guys like to meme about how everything on Jow Forums is tracked, but it's not. Post content and IP information is only kept around for a couple weeks at most. Basically as the board moves, all the old data gets overwritten by new data, simply because extra storage costs extra money.

The only long-term info stored anywhere are Jow Forums pass credentials and bans, and I'm not even sure the bans actually save the post data rather than just linking to it.

The number of smart people doesn't matter, the RATIO of smart people matters

And over the past few years that ratio has taken a massive nose-dive. The average IQ might actually be under 100 now.

Isn't it like the PQ in Maplestory?

A former mod, Snacks, I believe got in trouble because he used the ban page to write personal messages to the banned person.

So I think the ban page might save post data.

Ban messages used to be more personalized in Jow Forums's early days.

>I recall an user that did so many math that he ended proving anime dimesion where his waifu was at was without question real.
i would like to see this thread

Attached: 1535801412571.jpg (528x543, 49K)

There's a lower bound on IQ on anonymous message boards. Below a certain level of intelligence, people can't keep track of the discussion and become frustrated (and here they get mercilessly heckled, too).

The average IQ cannot be lower than 110 on any given Jow Forums board, and the average agreeableness must also be low, probably in the 25th percentile range.