Alright Jow Forums

I was baptized into the Episcopal/Anglican communion, but after I began to walk out of my "re-initiation to the faith" phase I looked around and began to recognize how at-odds I was with the church on a theological, sociological, and political level.

I had been attending an orthodox church that a friend of mine had invited me to. Nice place, nice people. However I don't really want to drive 30 miles every morning and I also still feel a bit like a fish out of water. Not for the typical reasons, this church really isn't an ethno-church and the people are great.... Just something on a very deep level about orthodoxy that doesn't quite make sense to me although I literally could not name something to disagree with or complain about.

My minds eye has gradually and curiously shifted towards Catholicism, where I do have a number of issues I could name such as the infallibility/authority of the Pope.

Should I stick with Orthodoxy for the long haul or should I investigate Catholicism? Which is best for someone who is very much western oriented while still enticed by mysticism?

>inb4 God isn't real lol
Yeah, I'm not in high school anymore.

>inb4 pagan larpers
>inb4 low church protestants

Which of the churches (or which portion, I should say) has Jow Forums found most authentic and most rewarding in the spiritual sense?

Attached: 6cd6cb72d1c33ce5bd30630f58990e41.png (1200x1200, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IL5VqeSMw4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Papal infallibility does not mean everything the Pope says is correct, or even that everything he says about theology is correct. It's something that only applies in very specific circumstances that are exceedingly rare.

>Which is best for someone who is very much western oriented while still enticed by mysticism?
East orthodoxy is definitely more into mysticism, but that mysticism isn't really incompatible with Catholicism.

Could you elaborate a bit on the infallibility? Or provide resources that could give me a better picture?

>East orthodoxy is definitely more into mysticism, but that mysticism isn't really incompatible with Catholicism.

Yeah, I find myself in this weird position where I instinctively consider them both my church and both my home even though I'm not technically confirmed into either and currently not attending either.

>Could you elaborate a bit on the infallibility?
Basically, the pope has to be explicitly speaking from his authority as the Pope, and defining doctrine on faith or morals. In that situation, the Pope is exempt from the possibility of speaking something that is untrue.

It's probably worth pointing out that while Eastern Orthodoxy obviously doesn't have papal infallibility, both East Orthodoxy and Catholicism hold that ecumenical councils possess this type of infallibility, as well.

Yeah, well I'm more comfortable with the idea of holy councils.

I still find it hard to swallow that a single bishop would be canonically given that sort of authority. Maybe that's my distrust of authority in general but it occurs to me that even while "defining doctrine on faith or morals" a person in such position could have less-than-holy intentions...

You should investigate Catholicism to make sure if it's Christ's Church or not, any kind of disobedience to God can condemn you.

That's part of what I'm doing.

Before I walked into the Episcopal church, when I was 'Church shopping', I was told the only thing I needed to worry about was "Is it the sort of church Christ would attend?" and I still carry that in my heart.

I guess I'm really just asking for help in that investigation. My local catholic church has most of its services in spanish and primarily serves the local mexican population so I'm skeptical I'll get a good view of the Roman church by attending there.

Go to a Tridentine Parish. If you want to dig into the Catholic Church avoid the Novus Ordo. You never know if the priest isn't a heretic.

I'm also in your shoes user. I'm presently a Catholic and have been all my life though have found issue with the Papacy from a historical and theological perspective. If I were you I'd talk to priests of both sects in extensively about this, dont make any irrational decisions.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 1.09.53 AM.png (783x680, 590K)

>"Is it the sort of church Christ would attend?"

Is completely wrong. You need to ask your self is this the Church, Christ instituted to worship him and be in charge of his pilgrim kingdom.

Christ does not attend Church. Christ is the head of the Church!

Attached: 99944676.jpg (5014x4262, 3.32M)

What said, for Tridentine Masses the best parishes for such are typically Franciscan or Benedictine monasteries

>My minds eye has gradually and curiously shifted towards Catholicism, where I do have a number of issues I could name such as the infallibility/authority of the Pope.

The papacy is biblical and it makes sense that you should have someone who is the final say on things on earth.

Which rock was the pilgrim kingdom established?

All Churches get it wrong because humans sin. Only one has the LORDs promise that hell will never prevail. Don't be lukewarm.

Attached: christian-rifleman.jpg (670x409, 31K)

However the Bishop of Rome was always the first among equals during the apostolic and post-apostolic eras. It was councils that decided final dogma, not the Bishop of Rome

What does tridentine mean? Traditionalist?

I've been interested in checking out a trad/latin mass but the closest church that does that is about as far as the orthodox one I was attending. It is a cathedral though so I'll probably go check it out at least once.

Sure, but I think the impression could have been better quantified as a parallel between the pharisees and... Just about anyone else that Christ talks about in the NT.

Christ established His Church on Peter. Peter founded the Church in Rome however Mark established the same church in Alexandria and, Thaddeus in Armenia, Paul in Antioch and the many Greek states, etc. Each church was in communion with eachother and thus were the same church. So by that logic, both the current Catholic and Orthodox churches are Christ's church

Attached: 1541381336174.jpg (495x304, 120K)

Tridentine is the traditionalist rite of Catholicism. It is said in Latin and practiced as it was before the Second Vatican Council. Usually very somber and reverent

Word, that's what I figured.

Also could someone give me a quick run down on Holy Orders? What they are, how they function in the church? etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell the orthodox don't really have a parallel?

Parishes that offers the Mass in the Tridentine Rite, such as the FSSP, SSPX, etc.
This is a Tridentine High Mass for example: youtube.com/watch?v=IL5VqeSMw4U
Go check the Tridentine Mass if you can. Its way better than the Novus Ordo. Its more beautiful, the priests are orthodox, women wear veils, etc.

catholic. Unless you live in Russia, then orthodox.
stick to the religion of your civilization.

No Orthodox are heretical. There creed is wrong. They do not accept the Filioque

Attached: Comfy_guy.jpg (600x579, 41K)

Orthodox have holy orders as a sacrament.

You can buy an online copy of Adrian Fortescue's "The Eastern Orthodox Church", which lays out the basis for Roman primacy.

The problem I have with the Orthodox argument against papal infallibility is that they didn't act like the Pope wasn't infallible in the early centuries.

Tough to give advice user. I'm Orthodox, and I get what you're saying. Only you can really decide. I would recommend looking into both more. The problem with being Catholic is you are about 20 times more likely to have a homosex pro-refugee priest than in Orthodoxy, so you have to be lucky to get a based Catholic priest. The doctrinal stuff is kind of secondary in this bleak age, so I'd make your choice based on the kind of priest you can get.

If you can get a based Catholic priest, go for it, but continue to look into Orthodoxy as there is a really rich Christian tradition there with some great writings, and icons are very vogue right now, even among Catholics. If you have a nightmare papist priest, then I'd just jump into Orthodoxy and try to make it work. Remember, while your journey might seem arduous, many people in history made FAR longer journeys to Church. and you dont have to go every Sunday.

Orthodox Christian here. As far as Orthodoxy vs Catholicism go, find the parish that fits you the best, stay with it, and focus on improving your moral and spiritual life. Find a priest you can confess too and where the homilies are good. That’s 90 percent of it

As far as the 30 minute drive, that’s not bad. I know Catholics who drive an hour to get to mass that they can tolerate (no bs, nice art, non faggy priest etc).

Good luck and God bless !

The Papal infallibility was used only two times to define two dogmas, the Assumption of Mary in 1950 and the Immaculate Conception in 1854. The papal infallibility is so unpopular that I think it will no longer be used

Explain?

The Orthodox Church is my favorite because its full of the best women. Modest baby making factories.

The one that I have been attending does have some beautiful and modest women. Problem is, I don't even know how to approach them. I feel like they're all much classier than I am.

Checked. Have you tried being really well dressed and muscular? Make sure you make all the services and make it a point to talk to people about them.

Read How to Win Friends and Influence People; talk to them about them. Meet old men for coffee and be a man about Church. Get on a holiday committee or something.

Yes and yes, and I have my manners. I've just never been a church-goer prior to now. I do keep thinking I want to get more involved but... I don't know why I'm so nervous about the social aspect of it. I feel like I have to put on a fascade or something. Good tips though, thanks.

hello fren, pls stay

Attached: orthodox wojak.jpg (479x485, 30K)

Christ is in our midst

Peter founded Antioch.

Help me Father

The Filoque It was added later by the Romans because of translation issues, then the Romans ban translation out of Latin into the vernacular and then the Church falls apart even more. Your Heterodox and Heretical .

>Should I stick with Orthodoxy
stick with Orthodoxy

God bless you, user. May our Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on us and save us.