Uni does this internship program

>uni does this internship program
>only have one job offer so far
>it's WITH the school, aka for losers who couldn't get any other position, and it's just generic office work, don't really get to develop any skills or experience there
>but don't have any other interviews lined up at the moment, scared that I won't get anything
What do I do? I want to reject the offer, but I'm terrified I'll be left jobless.

Attached: sushi roll.gif (800x587, 1.05M)

No matter what happens, you need a paycheck. I'd just take the dumb job for now to get on my feet, then leave once I'm living on my own and can support myself for a few months in a job search. You'll have that experience under your belt too so your resume doesn't look like total trash.

Welcome to real life.

Just take it OP!
I was in a similar situation in my uni's 3rd year where I applied to a ton of places but only got a uni low paying unrelated position.

It's better to get unrelated experience then no experience. Being with other losers means you can standout and maybe get some leadership experience. Plus more people your age to make friends with.

After I got out of mine, I got job offers everywhere when I graduated with companies begging for me over people who interned at big firms. To this day my most enjoyable work experience was in that internship desu. No need to rush to wagecuck.

I still have another two years of school left though, in which my parents are supporting me. Obviously I want to make money and ease their burden, but I don't know if I want to place finding ANY job for a paycheck as my top priority over getting new experience, especially since I've worked in office settings before.

I see. I suppose that makes sense, but it still seems a bit odd to me to work at the registrar office when I already know I want nothing to do with that kind of work.
May I ask what other things might have factored into you getting those job offers over people who had better internships?

Attached: snow.jpg (768x1024, 77K)

>it's WITH the school, aka for losers who couldn't get any other position, and it's just generic office work, don't really get to develop any skills or experience there
This doesn't matter as much as you'd think, and looks much better on your resume than a significant gap in employment. I don't think recruiters even care if it's a pity job most times.

It's better to have a job than not, and it's surprisingly likely to put you higher up on shortlists for different jobs around the university later. I know a number of guys who started out doing these short positions after college and ultimately went full-time staff.

Seriously, don't discount the networking you'll get done doing "office work" at the university. You not only are going to find out about openings in other depts before the general public and other students, but there's also a real possibility of just getting hired on permanently because you impressed someone enough.

>I still have another two years of school left though, in which my parents are supporting me. Obviously I want to make money and ease their burden, but I don't know if I want to place finding ANY job for a paycheck as my top priority over getting new experience, especially since I've worked in office settings before.
Oh ffs, it's for the summer? Dude. First off, nobody cares. Secondly, it's already April. You aren't gonna get a paying internship in the private sector by the time summer starts.

No, next semester. Students here do 6 month internships with companies instead of classes on some years.

I'll keep it in mind.

Attached: sgs.jpg (756x686, 173K)

Hey, that actually sounds neat. Can you take a course or two on the side while you're doing this work experience thing? Might make the uni job VERY worthwhile.

Unfortunately not, it's one or the other since the vast majority of the internships tend to be full time.

I mean, is there a rule keeping you from doing it? Surely your school has some evening courses. Just saying you could knock out a little something and take it easy the next semester.

Though at that point, you might as well take a night course at a nearby community college and transfer it to your university. A fuckton of people did that at my undergrad because it had a well-established relationship with the CC, and you could just look up in advance what any given course would transfer in as.

Hey, that's actually a fair idea. I'll have to look into other schools around the area to see how viable that is.

Granted, I still have to make the final decision on whether to take this opp or not.

>May I ask what other things might have factored into you getting those job offers over people who had better internships?

1. Every interviewer told me they loved what a weird but diverse skillset I had. Most of the knowledge is accumulated in the field and showing you are adept to learn makes you that much more valuable.
2. I had leadership experience
3. I guess people can't interview? I went to my interviews talking to the interviewers like old buddies. Confident yet relaxed.

This is applicable for Business majors and STEM if you are either.

Attached: 439597032405782344.jpg (186x271, 7K)

>Granted, I still have to make the final decision on whether to take this opp or not.
Well, let's look at that. You said it's just office shit in the registrar office? I get that it's shit you're not interested in, but it's shocking what work experience does for you, even if it's completely unrelated to what you ultimately end up doing. And honestly, don't knock general office skills. Being able to handle business phone calls is a skill that far too many new grads lack these days.

So here are some important questions: When did you get the offer and do they have a stated acceptance deadline? Do you have any apps pending where you're expecting a response anytime soon?

That gif made my duck hard

Yes, and fair enough. I have to admit my communication skills aren't exactly top notch either right now, so I can't deny that this job wouldn't have some pros.

I received the offer yesterday, but I have until Monday morning to finalize my decision.
>Do you have any apps pending where you're expecting a response anytime soon?
Not even any interviews lined up, which is the biggest factor in my decision making at the minute. If I don't take this job, who knows if I'll even get any other interviews or offers, which is pressuring me into leaning towards taking it.

I'm neither, but that sounds like generally useful advice. Developing a diverse skillset makes sense, but the other two "real" jobs on my resume (part time job in high school working the front desk at a high end spa and an internship working in a small donation based medical office) both seem like they'd be kind of similar to this on paper.

Good.

Attached: mitsuha2.gif (790x810, 402K)

>Not even any interviews lined up, which is the biggest factor in my decision making at the minute. If I don't take this job, who knows if I'll even get any other interviews or offers, which is pressuring me into leaning towards taking it.
I've been in your position before, at least with respect to summer work experience shit, not so much "during the school year" shit, but it being the beginning of April says to me it won't get any easier here on out. I could be wrong; you may want to ask around if there are still a lot of people still sending out apps now. But my gut is that most people who are doing what you're doing for the fall are already done.

So yeah, I'd seriously be considering taking it myself.

>the other two "real" jobs on my resume (part time job in high school working the front desk at a high end spa and an internship working in a small donation based medical office) both seem like they'd be kind of similar to this on paper

I'll be honest OP, since this is only your sophomore year summer, I wouldn't stress the experience part too much. I'd still take the job just because it encourages me to get out and meet some people too.

I'd take this whole situation as a lesson to plan ahead for junior year and start applying in the previous fall to make sure you get an internship. Most serious companies don't hire sophomore interns except to do paper filing anyways unless they see potential in them to keep after graduation.

I'm actually a third year
Most students here do 4 regular years with 12 months dedicated to the aforementioned internship thing
Not sure how much of a difference that makes

Attached: kumiko.png (586x634, 276K)

*an extra 12 months, for 5 years total

>Not sure how much of a difference that makes
Not that much difference desu since your resume won't be blank because the 12 months thing. I'd say senior internship is mandatory though since it will be what differentiates you from others.

I'd still take the job if I were you though. Unless you have something better to do with your summer which you don't if you post anime girls on a tibetan sweater weaving board.

Attached: 341324125413543543.jpg (237x213, 7K)

You got me there. I guess it's honestly my best option at this point. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Attached: loading gun.png (500x500, 13K)