Anons, my fiancé blew $11,000 on rent before we even met the "landlord" saw the place, or signed a lease...

Anons, my fiancé blew $11,000 on rent before we even met the "landlord" saw the place, or signed a lease. The funds were transferred through a TD bank account.

The person kept in contact with her for three weeks, she gave him more money despite my pleas to tell her to not spend any more money until we have something in writing.

TL ;DR fiancée was scammed of $11,000 through bank transfer from TD bank by a "landlord." We filed a police report and gave them all the text messages and transfer evidence.

What happens now anons?

Attached: 1508189779992.jpg (368x410, 27K)

ex-fiance

Is the "landlord" a real person in the United States? If they're abroad, you're probably not getting your money back. I'm betting it was a classic advance fee fraud.

you contact a lawyer and ask him because Jow Forums is not a lawyer.

your first 1hr consult should be free btw so if they cant help you its no loss to you

Attached: 1503722412098.jpg (385x478, 19K)

You wait for the police to investigate

In Canada

Eh, it can help to have a lawyer waiting in the wings to be a point of contact with the cops.

So the person to whom the wire transfer was made is *confirmed* in-country? You can get your money back if so. You should go see a lawyer right now, you might be able to freeze his bank account before he converts it into BTC and claims he got scammed out of it.

Ontario, Canada to be exact.

There's nothing a lawyer can do. This sort of fraud is a criminal matter.

>your first 1hr consult should be free btw so if they cant help you its no loss to you
Stop peddling this bullshit, it's not true and it's not helpful.

This transfer was done two weeks ago, I highly doubt it is still available but we'll be headed to the bank tomorrow about this and contact the property manager who impersonated as a representative.

Is there anything that can be done? Obviously besides end the relationship but what about the finances?

>There's nothing a lawyer can do. This sort of fraud is a criminal matter.
That's actually not true at all. A private attorney could immediately file for an injunction freezing the guy's assets if there's any serious risk of the money getting transferred out of country. Cops can take a days or weeks, and might not do anything if they don't think they can prosecute. By then (and by the time you hear they're not doing anything) your money's gone and maybe so is the scammer.

While it's the right move to go to the cops and get them involved, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing a parallel civil action, and the fact that it's "a criminal matter" doesn't mean civil litigation is impossible. While it's true you can't "sue" for criminal fraud, you can absolutely sue for civil fraud, conversion, embezzlement, breach of contract, or any number of other civil actions based on the exact same fact pattern. It's the same principle as, while you can't sue someone for "murder", you can absolutely sue someone for wrongful death.

You’re fucked dumbass

>Stop peddling this bullshit, it's not true and it's not helpful.
It's true in most cases, but I agree it might not be for the sort of lawyer OP's going to need.

Unless the police can get it back, not really. You can talk to the bank and see what you can do, but unless it's the sort of fraud where someone takes hold of the account or credit card, they're not going to reimburse someone $11k that was transferred because of their own stupidity. If a transfer was authorised by an account holder, that's their problem, not the bank's.

I dont know where youre from but in Canada your first consult is always free.

>Unless the police can get it back, not really.
This is patently false. If the guy who has the funds is actually in Canada, OP can get an injunction freezing the guy's accounts tomorrow (and get a preliminary hearing by next week).

First of all, it's the police's job to get an injunction in a situation like this, not a private lawyer. It's a criminal offence, not a civil matter. Secondly, you're very naive if you think that the justice system works that fast.

My fiancée is, not me.

True, it was authorized by her so it would have to go to court.

But how?

you should rethink your choice of women

The bank is seeing this as a scam, not fraud after she spoke to a 24hr customer service representative.

>it's the police's job to get an injunction in a situation like this
It's actually not. They can seize the account and order a freeze based on a probable cause order, but they wouldn't seek an injunction because that's a civil litigation matter.
>It's a criminal offence, not a civil matter
Read . You literally have no idea how the law works.
>Secondly, you're very naive if you think that the justice system works that fast.
A lawyer can get an emergency ex parte injunction same day. When those sorts of injunctions are available, it's almost invariable that *by law* there must be a hearing on the preliminary injunction within 7-14 days. This is to prevent ex parte TROs from being abused. Even when those aren't available, you should be able to petition for an ex parte TRO with a one-week return date, and the preliminary injunction hearing about 2-4 weeks later.

This is routine civil litigation shit user. Educate yourself or shut your mouth.

>But how?
You need a lawyer to do it. It's not something that I'm going to explain to you over the internet. It'll cost but you can do it.

Do you realise that pursuing this via a lawyer is going to be a LOT more expensive than $11k?

One, you don't know that. Two, it's Canada, he'll get his reasonable attorney's fees.

Are you a law student who thinks they know how the real world works or something? Because that's the impression you're giving off.

Worse. I'm a real, practicing attorney, and I do litigation. Suck my massive penis.

I do know that. Firstly, civil litigation takes a LOT of time, and a lot of lawyers' time means the expenses add up quickly. Secondly, $11k isn't a lot to the justice system. It may be a lot to OP, but to the justice system, it's not worth wasting time on.

Of course you are, because you can be whoever you want to be on the internet. Might want to do something about how you come across though, you're undermining yourself.

Again, it's Canada. He'll get his fees.
Not an argument, and I don't care.

>$11k isn't a lot to the justice system. It may be a lot to OP, but to the justice system, it's not worth wasting time on.
Kek you're completely fucking wrong. Debt collectors will absolutely litigate over $10k. I've seen it time and again over car loans.

Seriously, based on what OP's already said about the bank concluding that it wasn't fraud (and refusing to initiate a freeze on their end), odds are the cops will see it as a civil conversion type of deal or breach of contract, rather than out-and-out fraud, and tell OP that it's a civil matter that he has to handle himself.

By then the money might be well and truly gone and the scammer will be harder to find and serve a summons on.

Lawyer here. My shit ain’t free.

You must not need new clients, user.