Be me, 24, unemployed

>be me, 24, unemployed
>got accepted into JET, a program to teach English in Japan for a year
>it would start in July if I accepted
>however, I need a job now because I have no money
>can't get a job if I take JET (nobody wants a guy for three months), and if I don't, I miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
>have a big interview with a big company coming up
>if I tell them about JET: they will not hire me
>if I don't tell them: I won't be eliminated, but I may burn a bridge if I suddenly leave 3 months into jobs
>this company probably employs 1/6 of the people in the industry, so it's a relationship I absolutely don't want to screw up for the future

What should I do?

Attached: 1371798938691.jpg (500x517, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marycagle.com/letsspeakenglish/prologue-1-off-we-go
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you get the job, back out of JET. They suck anyway and it's not great for your career.

I don't know why you wouldn't just try to get a retail job though if you really just need a temp thing. Or fucking go to a temp agency.

This interview is a callback. I had the first one from before I found out about JET. I've stopped applying for full-time jobs and am switching to temp shit. As for backing out of JET, I just know that 20 years from now, I'll regret not taking the chance to go to Japan when I had it.

It's not a great career move, but it won't ruin my life. I'm afraid my youth is up soon, that I've wasted my 20s thus far, and this is my last chance to have an irresponsible adventure. And no, I have no weaboo fantasies, I've been to Japan several times before. Have you done JET, user, or something similar?

>I just know that 20 years from now, I'll regret not taking the chance to go to Japan when I had it.
You know you can just take a holiday to Japan like non-weebs, right?

I just happen to like Japan. I've spent a total of five months there across multiple trips, including a semester abroad. I want to experience what it's like to live there. I don't even watch anime, read manga, or watch Japanese TV/movies. I just find the history and culture itself fascinating. Why don't you just pretend I said China or Italy and give me advice based on that?

>Why don't you just pretend I said China or Italy and give me advice based on that?
You know you can just take a holiday to China like non-chinaboos, right?

WITNESSED
>I don't even watch anime, read manga, or watch Japanese TV/movies. I just find the history and culture itself fascinating.
Oh dear lord it's one of THOSE weebs.

Fuck off retard. Some people love other cultures so much they want to live there.

OP you know what your dream is. Fulfill it.
Get a retail jobs for those 3 months. Dont ever mention planning to leave. Lie to them. It's hardly immoral since youre underpaid and corporations are looking to fuck you over anyway.

I mention retail because you said you dont want to burn a bridge with this big company you mention. Don't take the job so you have a possible career in that industry as a plan b if japan isn't what you thought it was.

Retail is something you can afford to burn a bridge with. Hell, I doubt you even can, they're always looking for people.

I think that's a way to do it. But do what you think is best. Make it happen.

>can't get a job if I take JET (nobody wants a guy for three months),
Don't tell them and just leave after 3 months. You are drastically overestimating your importance to them if you think you can disrupt a major industry player in 3 months of whatever bullshit you'd be doing. They really won't care.

he just said he likes japanese history and culture. Call him a japanophile or whatever but natives usualy feel flattered when foreigners love their culture.

You do know the stigma for japan here is caused by weebs, not by people like OP right?

>Why don't you just pretend I said China or Italy and give me advice based on that?
Literally the same advice: go on holiday there and take the job.

I've known both types of weeb; the anime retard and the cultural imperialist like OP. They're both insufferable, but OP's type is ESPECIALLY insufferable because he pretends he's more intellectual for it and not just an exotica fetishist.

Weeb doesn't mean you like aniime and stuff, it means you want to be japanese, which you sound like a major weeb. You have been there a significant amount time there already but you still want to be there even when it seems like you have a good career opportunity ahead

You all right, user? I just like Japan, Jesus Christ.

>You are drastically overestimating your importance to them if you think you can disrupt a major industry player in 3 months of whatever bullshit you'd be doing. They really won't care.
If that's what you think OP is worried about, you've misread the post. Companies hate wasting time going through the hiring process and the person leaving after a short amount of time. And people talk about people amongst industries, which could ruin his job prospects with other companies who are worried he'll pull the same shit with them.

Thiiiis. Recruiting is fucking expensive. If OP leaves after three months he is gonna have even bigger problems getting a job in his industry than he had before.

Why are you giving OP traits he didn't display?

>insufferable
>pretends to be intellectual
>fetishist

Literaly based on nothing but your own hateful bias. I'm not even a weeb and I can tell that japanese has interesting culture (like many other countries too) and can see why someone would want to live there. It's exotic and different to us with european cultural heritage. Whats so bad about that? Let him enjoy his life. Why do you feel the need to put down people that are different than you?

Yeah, which is why I mentioned he should just work at retail or mcdonalds for those 3 months and never mention it in his resume again. Solves the issue imo

I absolutely agree, and that is in fact what I'm going to do from now on. It's just that this particular interview is a callback; first one had been from before I found out about JET. My question is, should I tell the interviewer about JET? It sounds like I should

Here's what you should do:
>not tell the interviewer about JET
>if you get the job, drop JET
>if you don't get the job, get a retail job and do JET

If you're going to insist that you're doing JET no matter what, and I really don't agree that you should, then you need to either cancel the interview or tell the interviewer about it.

doo eetttt

I wish you luck. it's threads like this that make me wish I had a way to find out if everything worked out well for OP in the end. I hope you find happiness :)

>If you're going to insist that you're doing JET no matter what, and I really don't agree that you should, then you need to either cancel the interview or tell the interviewer about it.
This. OP is delusional if he thinks this is even a question.

Why?

Thank you!

Yeah, I know. I just still wanted to cling onto the hope of having my cake and eating it too

>just take a holiday to Japan
If you really think that is the same I guess you have never been abroad while sober.

Hey OP,

do you already have teaching English experience? If you are UK or Europe based, have a look at englishinaction.com

They have contracts as short as one week. - Ask for 3 months work and see what they say.

If you want to go to Japan, then go to Japan and don't look back. Fuck that big company.

On top of this, check your local area to see if substitute teaching is possible, at least for the remainder of the school year. I substitute taught for six months prior to my abroad english teaching. Good luck!

Anyone who loves a foreign culture over their own is insufferable and deserves a title worthy of the stigma associated with it. Theres nothing amazing about Japan. It doesn't matter if hes the typical anime loving weeb stereotype or not. Little to nothing about Japan should be idealized. At best its a vacation destination to look around.

>Theres nothing amazing about Japan.
Really? Have you even been there? Oh and nobody talked about loving foreign culture over their own.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions just because I like a country. I just want to experience what it's like to live somewhere else because I've never really left my immediate area for a significant amount of time. I know that I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life in Japan or anything. Where I grew up is where I grew up, and probably where I'm ultimately ending up. I just want to leave my bubble before I have to settle down and it truly does become impossible to leave for more than a week or two at a time. I even regret not going to school out of state, although of course I still value the friends I've made here. Anyways, thanks for the free bumps

It's a highly successful industrialized ethnostate with a strong work ethic and proud history. We could easily learn a thing or two.

>We could easily learn a thing or two.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how culture or society works.

YOU PERSONALLY could learn a thing or two. OUR CULTURE can't just learn a thing or two. It's like arguing, "Hey look guys, Japanese schoolchildren help clean up the school, this fosters respect for their environment! This is a sure way of curing school violence and disaffected youth!" ... but disregarding all the serious problems facing their youth that we don't face, or don't face as severely, or how their society is so homogeneous (and how it got so homogeneous—and trust me, it wasn't through celebrating diversity).

Don't get me wrong, studying foreign cultures is valuable, but not because you can make some secret eastern philosophical breakthrough that'll revolutionize western culture. It's because it gives you a chance to study a culture as an outsider, and developing that skill makes you better at trying to look more dispassionately at your own culture. It's the same reason why foreign language education in high school is valuable, even though the vast majority of those students retain none of it after two years.

become the weeb you know you are?

Work as a bustboy/dishwasher

Easy to get and they will definatly take you for only 3 months

I warn you tho its a shitty job that requires some pretty strong arms and hands, not to mention it will probably feel like you are standing in a sauna for your entire shift

>some secret eastern philosophical breakthrough
There is a world of difference between what you talk about and the original point, namely "a thing or two." Your screed looks like generic excuses for not learning a thing.

And I spent years in several foreign countries and have retained a couple of things ten years after I left Japan. Most people can.

it sucks dont go
you get stationed in a small town and they barely give you enough hours and you have to spend most of the time taking public transport to 3 different schools and doing unpaid work

That is not everyone's experience. Here is an alternative:
marycagle.com/letsspeakenglish/prologue-1-off-we-go
She made a book of it.

thats your experience when you are 24 and a neet
they do have better positions but they also have a ton of people applying and there are more bad positions than good
If you want a good experience go to china
if you really want to go to japan then do it the right way, save money first and dont expect much, do you want your time in japan to be crappy?
you are 24 years old and a neet so you think its now or never but i met people who saved for yars and visited japan in their 30s so i know you are wrong