Landlord threatens to ruin my career

Quick rundown

>be 22 y/o male, fresh out of the fire academy
>desperate to find a part time job in a fire department in order to acquire some experience
>fire department requirements include living in a perimeter less than 5min from the fire station
>find an apartment, talk to the 45 y/o feminist woman landlord, explain the situation and say I can't sign the lease without at least being considered by the fire department because if they don't hire me, I'm stuck with it
>I told her beforehand that I may not always be at the apartment because I'll be on call for the first months with no schedule (I would sleep at my parent's house which is at a 10min drive from the apartment)
>luckily, she backs me up and I pass all the tests and get hired

>few months passes by, I forgot to close the window at my apartment while heating was turned on
>she gets furious as she receives the bill at the end of the month
>tell her it was a mistake and warns me to be more careful next time
>bear in mind that I never use hot water or her washing machines or any current because I'm not always there
>things start to heat again because I do not remove the snow from my alley and parking spot (I already shovel enough snow at my parents house and apartments)

>fast forward a year later, I ask her if I can have a roommate in order to bring him to my fire department and she agrees
>winter again and she literally steals my shovel and when I ask for it, she gives me shit and chimpsout in saying "here's your fucking shovel, it's not the fucking end of the world". I needed the shovel in order to shovel all the snow
>things get more tense as me and my roommate find a new apartment

cont

Attached: Watching_it_burn_pepe.jpg (333x333, 31K)

>she calls my roommate and tells him I owe her the 200$ from the heating incident 2 years ago or else she threatens to complain to the fire department how awful I am and how I'm never there (because the fire department requires me living there continuously in case of a general fire alarm) but I'm not living there because I am still on call (no schedule), pay is shit and nobody asks me to replace them. She wants to actively tarnish my reputation

>it's a big deal because firefighting is a small world and word gets around very fast
What do now?

pay the $200
move
find a better paying job/better hours if thats what you care about

If you get along with your bosses/coworkers and you've been doing a good job, they will not care about your landlady's petty complaints

This
Once you move, she won't have any power over you. Just get to that point.

No way in hell I'm paying 200$ I signed the lease for 520 a month, she will not extort me and threaten my career

Well it's a new boss and he doesn't really know me. I get along with everyone but lately I refused a lot of shifts because I had to help my parents at the bakery

you’re the shittiest fireman

you joined one of the most competitive jobs (in the fucking world) and you are completely unwilling to do jackshit to actually get in full time or even somewhat part time?

Are you fucking retarded?

No you don't understand. We got 1 full time team during the day but in order to be in it you have to have an additionnal 2 year qualification course and it's full already. At night, it's us part timers. We get paid 2$ CAD per hour and around 20$ per intervention but there's less than 200 calls per year. But all the part time teams are full which means if someone wants to get replaced, they call me first but until then, I make jack shit. It's been 2 years already and I don't have a steady schedule. I applied at many other firehouses but as you said, competition is ferocious. So yeah I don't have a lot of money and the bitch threatens my career

you don’t have a career. you’re lying and wasting $500 a month to get paid $2 an hour, sometimes.

Why would I be lying? To gain internet pity points? I only do it for the experience and once I get hired in a big city, I'll move out. It's just that it's a small community and once word gets out that you're bad or unreliable, you're done for

Firemen are cool.

I would pay the $200 as soon as you can to immediately mitigate whatever leverage she might have against your career.

From the sound of it though you could stand to be putting a lot more hard work/thought into how you grow your career. Don't wait for people to ask you to replace them, always be asking your boss constantly if there is an opportunity for you to fill some shoes. Always be talking to as many stations as possible to see if there's any opportunity for you to move in soon. Be proactive as often as possible and you won't have to worry in the future about a landlord tarnishing your reputation.

Tough shit, it was your mistake and you should pay for it
With the exception of the shovel thing which isn't a big deal this is all your fault
Move out if you don't like it

But you are bad and unreliable

you’re lying so you can live with mommy and daddy while you play fireman

If you're competent enough to be a fireman you're competent enough to hide her body.

I've solved a few life problems of mine like that.

he is not tho

Yeah, I do understand. Everything you are talking about is because it's so extremely competitive. The kind of people that make it full time are the kind of people that will deal with any kind of horseshit that comes up. These are the kind of people that know how to make sacrifices. This means making shit money, dealing with shit landlords, and following every little rule that comes with the career.

You, however, don't want to do any of it and bitch about all of it. You don't want to live close to the station, you don't want to make a sacrifice in pay, and you don't want to play nice with the people you have to play nice with in order to actually have a career.
>t's been 2 years already and I don't have a steady schedule
Because you're trying to join a career that is extremely hardcore and competitive when you are the kind of person that whines, moans, and tries to cut corners.

You are not going to make it. You are not the kind of person that does this as a career.

Can you read? You can't make it full time, it's already full. I did everything, you don't know me cunt. I gave my all and it's not somekind of feminist cunt that will destroy my career. Keep talking though, I'll settle everything with the chief tomorrow

Oh boy
Maybe not a good idea to confront the chief, since you're partially in the wrong and this dispute seems kind of petty.

In this situation I'd thank her for being so accommodating earlier on, apologize for the window thing, pay her the $200 and leave. She's being a dick with that threat but I don't think escalating things will help at all. It may seem counter-intuitive to be so nice to someone you have issues with but in my experience it's best to try and leave on a good note and remember good things they've done for you in the past.

How am I in the wrong? I signed the lease, stating very clearly that electricity and heating was all paid for. We verbally agreed that if it were to happen again, I would pay which never happened again. I never used her washing machine, never cooked, rarely use hot water, never did any party, never drank or smoke and I always was nice to her. She started stealing my shovel which I didn't have any problem until she chimps out that she has the right to and it's not the end of the world. I since then put my shovel in my apartment and the next day it's outside meaning she breached my privacy and I could have put her in trouble but I didn't.

I may have paid the 200$ but not after her threatening me and not even daring to confront me. No I will not be step on when I did nothing wrong. I am not confronting the chief, I will only notice him what happened. I have been on every call, every time, never missed a shift, did extra work and all that. I will not have my career threatened by some psycho woman

You want to be nice not for her sake, but 100% yours. Now is not the time to be overly defensive or vengeful, letting your emotions get the best of you can really break you at a time like this.

And I doubt you agreed to pay for an abnormal amount of heating before signing that contract. For all intents and purposes it seems she was forced to foot the bill because of your mistake, in reality you should have probably offer to pay instead of delaying it in any way whatsoever.

I never delayed anything, she said she would pay it. Look, I'm not trying to be an asshole but if I were to live there everyday for 2 years, she would have paid a lot more for all the heating and washing machine use. She whines about literally nothing. I'm trying to understand why you think I'm vengeful? I want to protect myself for something I am innocent. Why does she wait almost 2 years to make me pay? Because I am leaving the apartment and is scared she won't find another person to rent. I forgot to mention, I was taking the lease from someone else because she had a fucked up tenant with drugs, alcohol and emotional problems. Compared to her last tenant, I'm a goddamn saint

After reading the bread,
here's the thing.
your chief is a different person than you, so he don't think like you, and he don't care about what you think.
Which is just like every other anons here.
So, if you wanna know how the chief will react, just look at how anons will react here.

Reminder,
it doesn't matter if you're on the right or not.
The landlord got you by the balls, and $200 can easily solve the problem, so cough up and shut up.
Here's a piece of advice, Issues that money can solve is not a problem.

How she got me by the balls? I'm leaving by June, I won't give her any money. It's her problem if she wanted to pay, it's been 2 years already. Would you just agree to give money to someone because he asks to? What the hell man, you guys basically say bend over and get fucked when I did nothing wrong

then you better start to selling yourself to the new boss then. greet the boss with smile and firm handshake and state your name.

and maybe you can pay her back $50 at a time.
just tell her that you can't afford to pay her the $200 maybe she will even lower it to $100

at the end of the day, you made the mistake, and taking the mistake is a step for us to grow up. we are no longer boys anymore.
adult, takes, responsibility.

this. as long as you look like a good fireman and you seems reliable. any boss will trust meeting a person face to face then reading a resume.

Attached: 1523122311763.jpg (697x1200, 167K)

You're fighting it out of principle, I get it. You still live there and she still does YOU a solid by backing you up for all this time.

She made your career. I think you should sit down and make peace with her. You don't owe her $200 according to the lease? OK. Fine. But how about you give her the $200 in good faith because she's done you a solid more than once by both lying for you and letting your buddy move in?

>How she got me by the balls?
>Waahh Waahhh Jow Forums what should i do? Should i tell me chief this mean ol feminist gonna ruin my career??
If she din't have you by the balls, then don't even asks us what to do.
Ignore her by all means, if you think her words doesn't matters.

Fucking arrogant idiot.
Why bother to come here for advice if you already made up your mind?
Just want some people here to cheer you on so you can feel like you did the right thing?
Boo Fucking Hoo people have different opinions than you now.

Look it's not for the god damn money. She literally wants to ruin my name in the department. I should be grateful for her? Fuck no. Am I the crazy one here? We settled this amicably, she can't just ask back for "her" money. I agreed to every clause in the lease, I asked her if I could have a roommate whom is also my colleague and she agreed. Now she wants to actively ruin my career for 200$?! What guarantee do I have she won't just deny I paid her 200$ and still wants to ruin my career? Yeah it's principle too. I can move out tomorrow to my new apartment, I already signed the lease. I won't give her the 200$ in good faith after she tries to ruin my future. And no she didn't lie for me, she just said I look like a good kid and would be great for the department

I bet you love being step on and bending the knee whenever there's an argument? I stand my ground on this one because nothing you people said makes sense

hey man. you don't fight the enemy who has more power than you. you don't compete against walmart for low price goods.

until you move out of the apartment, the landlord has more power over you.

Cool thanks, I'll tell the chief and move out Asap