Making Friends

(Posted this on /tg/ but didn't get many replies and most were conflicting)

Would it be a good idea to get into Magic the Gathering to meet people? I have about £200-odd to spend on it, no (real) friends and approaching wizardry. Or am I too late figuratively and literally? Is it too cool for me now?

I've thought about Yugioh as well since I have an old Buster Blader collector tin somewhere that I bought for some reason a long time back and I've been playing it on the phone BUT someone told me that there's not point getting into it now unless I plan to sink a huge amount money into it. Plus the only meetup near seems to be for mostly kids.

Also I live in London if that makes any difference but in the crap uncool parts with no hipsters.

Attached: chuck_norris_magic_card.jpg (375x523, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/1028685#paper
mtggoldfish.com/deck/886925#paper
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-lists-2018-02-23
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Short answer: no
Most people who play MTG in public are narcissistic and have a superiority complex
I'm sure you could make some friends through it but you won't find anyone who doesn't already belong to a clique

>Short answer: no
Man, can't catch break anywhere.

Dont listen to this moron.

Ive actually made the closest friend post high school I ever had cuz of magic.

Also Norris needs cant be countered. protection from everything doesnt apply when he is being cast

2/2

Every community is different but Iam in a whats app group with 8 people and we all are happy lending 100s in cards to each other.

I have even talked to girls about magic and I realize what a healthy social habit it is.

Go for it

It is a great way to meet people, next weekend there is a prerelease, so there will be events all weekend.
Download xmage and learn the rules (the AI is really bad so just find human opponents) and you will have a great time.
Prerelease is a great way to buy a bunch of cards and get a lot of practice where the power level isn't so different between players.

>post high school
How far post high school? Cos I'm old now. (High school is like college in uk terms right?) What is the average age in it?

>Download xmage
What about the official steam game? I've also downloaded the app on mobile.

I don't really know where to find places that do MtG meetups/gatherings/shops, I'd have to go towards central London (which I don't really want to since I'm too uncool and uncouth for that area, I don't have tattoos, dyed hair, piercings, gauges or any distinctive features) or towards the outskirts into places like Kent or something (the only MtG meetup that appears on meetup.com is Kent.) I'm really afraid of going to one of these things and not fitting in or being uncool, I mean, I know how low down the social ladder I am.

Man, wish I lived in America. Shit seems a lot more varied and accessible over there.

Bumping cos this is literally my last avenue.

Bump.
Is £200 too little to invest into MtG?

First post projecting post.

MtG is pretty good for making friends if you consistently go out and make an effort to be sociable. You'll likely be uncomfortable but that's ok.

Dnd is also good, but it can be hard to find a group of people who don't live with their moms.

I'm sure there's YouTube videos on this, just make sure they're up to date. Optional is buying a booster, getting your shit kicked in, then asking for advice on building a deck from you fellow players. It'll give you something to talk about as well, which is all you need for a friendship.

>but it can be hard to find a group of people who don't live with their moms.
I wouldn't mind. Just would like to know if the UK scene even comparable to the US scene.

I mean, there's literally only one comic shop in my area (and consequently the only place not online that sells MtG packs) and it's bizarrely located like it fell off the back of a truck going somewhere else. It's run by some old geezer who looks like he had better days as does the shop.

Try posting on Reddit and mtg forums, asking if there's any spots to play in your specific area. I'm in the Midwest so I honestly don't know.

If you have the means maybe a move would be healthy too.

>Try posting on Reddit and mtg forums
Kinda surprised that didn't occur to me.

Hi,
I used to go to shops and such and play MTG and it's a pretty friendly bunch across the board so long as you're not a female
It's definitely not too cool for you, lol. But it's fun as fuck.

>I used to go to shops and such and play MtG
ukfag?

Are there any Londoners here that play MtG?

this is a bit off topic, idk if you've done this already but dawg practice some social skills it may seem like a loser thing to do or that's how I first viewed it but it really did help me a fuck ton and now I can talk smoothly to people and make friends with anyone as long as they arent closed off I feel like I'm in some bullshit advertisment but it really does help if your not a Reddit hater try reddit.com/r/socialskills also how to win friends and influence people really helped me a ton. this is just my experience though the same may not help you but either way good luck on ur quest for friends.

dnd has shown to be amazing to me from seeing my brother who is super awkward and so are some of his friends, some friends aren't tho they are the type to have girlfriends and go to parties and a couple others are stoners. their friend group is like 8 years strong and they have a great chemistry and keep positive vibes.

Ok if you want to make friends don't start a hobby with the nerdiest shit possible for losers

>get a deck
>go to local tournaments and meet new people
>???
>profit

Don't you need other people to practice social skills?

in a way yes it helps if you spend time reading how to be social then applying it in your life which means interacting with others but you dont really need a friend who knows your practice social skills to learn social skills. learning social skills is like strategizing so you know what to do and how to act in a given situation.

>don't start a hobby with the nerdiest shit possible for losers
Oh how I wish nerdy shit was still for losers.

Mentioned it somewhere before but the core millenial social outcasts (very late 80s/early 90s kids) who didn't join a fandom or club back when the shit was still uncool, are fucked now.

Pray tell us what your hobbies are
Hint: watching Netflix, hanging out with friends, and smoking weed are not interesting hobbies

>this is just my experience though the same may not help you but either way good luck on ur quest for friends.
Yeah but OP is approaching wizardry meaning he's in his late 20s. At that point you're permanently fucked.

>get a deck
Any advice on what deck?

Have you ever played MTG or any TCG before? You can buy anything from aggro to control decks, though the latter are quite pricey if you want to have a complete, top tier one. I'd suggest finding top rated aggro decks or some midrange ones on a site called Tappedout. You can buy them online on the site called tcgplayer

>any TCG before
Not really, no one was really interested in playing TCGs when I was growing up and the past year and a half I've been playing Duels Links on mobile which the shorthand version of Yugioh I'm guessing.

I was think of getting an intro pack but I hear that they have crappy cards but come with booster packs. I'm also thinking about looking up gumtree and buying cards in bulk from someone.

Don't bother with intro packs and shit like that, just grab a deck you think you find interesting and would want to play and buy it.

You won't know if you don't find out. A lot of people I know who play MtG are cunts, but that may just be my experience. A pack of MtG cards is like $15 at walmart, try it out.

Head on down to a card shop anywhere and tell them you've never played before and are interested in getting started.

They'll set you up with some cards and teach you the rules of the game. Use that knowledge to get started learning the game. It's best if you've got another person who's also pretty new at the game to play alongside.

Once you've got that settled, pick up one of the standard "challenger decks". They price around $30-40 (USD) and should be for sale at a game shop. They're fairly competitive and can quickly be upgraded into semi-competitive decks. Those decks are for playing in the "standard" format which is a rotating format where only the most recent sets are legal for play. You can also play in the "modern" format where decks are considerably more expensive (your budget is currently too small for one) but the deck you buy is good for life because it is an eternal format with no rotating cards. In addition, there are casual formats like Commander (previously known as EDH) where you build a deck around a single Legendary card and play in casual multiplayer games. If you find people willing to play this format with you, there are pre-constructed commander decks you can buy at your game store (or even Wal-Mart style super-stores) for as cheap as $20-25 (USD) though they are usually around $35. If there are people at a shop talking about playing Commander, try to get involved with them. Commander players are usually friendly and often meet outside shops. Everyone I play the format with regularly is a fantastic friend of mine, a few of them whom I wouldn't know at all without the game.

I've played Magic for over 10 years, please feel free to ask me any questions you have and I'd be happy to help out!

Attached: 1458744818433.jpg (265x370, 86K)

>A lot of people I know who play MtG are cunts
In what sense?

>america
I think things are a little different in terms of (local) availability on this side of the pond.

But on Duel Links I'm currently using a mill deck and a deck that relies on the graveyard and banished cards so that losing monsters plays to my advantage.

What would be a comparable deck in MtG?

A mill deck.

>mill deck
Yeah, that translates directly to Magic. See pic related, it's the reason it's called a mill deck. (That card is terrible though and mill is usually a fringe strategy)
>losing monsters plays to my advantage.
Oh awesome, you'd love the color black in magic. Black/White and Black/Green decks specialize in reanimating targets from the graveyard and creating advantage through their own "loss" of creatures.

Do you know if you'd want to play in standard, modern, casual or even commander? I need an idea of what kind of magic you're looking to play to give you an idea of what decks to look into.

Attached: F2UCcdyOxNmcCZmx.jpg (210x298, 25K)

>Do you know if you'd want to play in standard, modern, casual or even commander?

This is still all new to me but I guess learning standard makes logical sense.

Look into "God-Pharoah's Gift" decks. There's a ton of variance and you can build them on the cheap if you avoid some of the pricer cards like Walking Ballista and Combat Celebrant.

Here's a link to a decklist on MTGGoldfish (a really useful resource for looking up decklists)
mtggoldfish.com/deck/1028685#paper

Also, here's a slightly less competitive deck, but it includes a little more graveyard interaction, so it might be more your speed.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/886925#paper

What is this bullshit play rdw or don't play. If you have to interact with neckbeards you lose.

He didn't say he was planning on playing burn of any kind, he said he likes interaction with the graveyard and mill decks, so I offered two re-animator theme decks in standard. Some people enjoy interacting with others and actually I'm pretty sure that's OP's entire point is to interact with those around him and make some new friends. People who think like you are the problem with the Magic community, now fuck off back to whatever containment board you came out of.

?

>If you have to interact with neckbeards you lose.
Interacting with nobody is a lot worse.

Yep faggots both of you. Also burn and rdw aren't the same you niggers.

Well ignoring the irate monkey screaming and throwing his excrement around, his suggestion to play "red deck wins" isn't a horrid one.

Similarly to "chain burn" in Yugioh, Red Deck Wins spams aggressive creatures in combination with damaging spells like pic related to win a game. They close very quickly and are actually quite dominant right now. One of the challenger decks I mentioned in this post is going for a similar strategy. It is called "Hazoret Aggro". More information on that and other challenger decks here: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-lists-2018-02-23

Attached: Image.ashx.png (223x311, 137K)

That ain't bolt you double nigger I'm not playing any format pic related isn't legal.

Attached: shopping.jpg (222x309, 14K)

legacy the best, yo.

as someone who also comes from London, i have a bunch of friends (from 19-30) who play Magic the Gathering and the other games as well as go to the meetup. I think you should totally go to them. Good luck user

>I'm too uncool and uncouth for that area, I don't have tattoos, dyed hair, piercings, gauges or any distinctive features
You really don't go into London do you? That's nothing what "central London" people look like, bar the odd one. And you don't have to look "cool" to go somewhere jfc

Having said that, google Dark Sphere - it's near Lambeth and there's this cute little Italian restaurant nearby too. They sell loads of tabletop games and have weekly events on too.
There's also a place in Stratford called Sneak Attack Games (near the gaming pub Secret Weapon) that sells trading cards and does events (not sure if mtg though). Secret Weapon also host tabletop RPG events every other week.

>Stratford
Not OP, but I'm guessing OP is talking about hipsters or some shit and Stratford is peak hipster, not that he shouldn't go there.

>I've played Magic for over 10 years, please feel free to ask me any questions you have and I'd be happy to help out!

Do Magic cards retain value over time?

Once you head towards Hackney Wick maybe and around the Olympic Park/East Village, the rest isn't. I imagine Secret Weapon probably homes hipsters though because they like that kind of thing (but also normies and nerds in there too).

Either way not looking a certain way shouldn't stop OP from doing things, agreed.

>I've played Magic for over 10 years, please feel free to ask me any questions you have and I'd be happy to help out!
Is it too late for me to eke out a niche of selling single rare magic cards?

Since you're on a budget, I recommend getting like a green preconstructed commander deck and pick up some nice cheap staples for it to help ramp. Try to keep your colors down to one or two because the huge cost for decks is usually the land base. MTG is expensive if you get into it too deep.

Commander is basically the most social and casual format out there and it's grown quite extensively in popularity. It's also rather cheap to get into since the staples keep getting reprinted and you only need one copy of anything.

Legacy and vintage are out of your price range. Modern is also pretty expensive initially for a good deck. Again, land bases are expensive. A decent tri-color land base will cost you over 2x your current budget.

Standard or Limited (drafting) is one of the easier formats to get into if you have a local shop. Limited gets expensive though since you're often buying 4 packs each time you play. (Look up a podcast called "limited resources" if you want to learn how to play better when it comes to drafting.)

Attached: 263.jpg (312x445, 77K)

It depends on the card, how much it sees play, how often it has been reprinted, etc.

A good way to look at it is, if it's reserved list it'll go up otherwise it could tank or spike randomly. Prices seem to be slowly creeping back up lately after the last 2 garbage fire sets

>Interacting with nobody is a lot worse.
Are you hating on second breakfast? Interaction is overrated.

There seems to be a combination of the 2. From the places i've been theres both very nice people, and the inevitable narcissist. But most of the time the good people outweight the narcissists.

>the inevitable narcissist
How do you be a narcissist over a card game?

no just creepy as a adult now just make ya look like a weirdo spastic. get into cars instead. trading cards is kids stuff.

Attached: 10455033_337631169718304_5683800886066172478_n.jpg (960x640, 93K)

I don't have a license.

How feasible is it to make money, buying, selling, trading MtG cards or is that market cornered? Cos this "I'm such a geek" trend has raised the prices of even mass produced retro games, motherfuckers here are selling Super Mario Bros for £30 in physical stores.

Bump I need to know much money is in MtG as well.

Bump.

>near Lambeth
Isn't Lambeth gentrified as well as Stratford? I'm remember both being packed with hipsters.

Met all my closest friends from the local game store. We all met over 40k but alot of us all played mtg to. Of course there will be a couple of chodes but that's any wear. Take note of the guys not playing anything outside of drafts or tournaments. There's probably a good reason no ones playing with them.