Can someone please help? I graduate in a year and can't figure out programming . I don't know where to start

Can someone please help? I graduate in a year and can't figure out programming . I don't know where to start.
>python
Hate it
>c and Java
Too much trauma from failing out

I can enjoy and understand math but programming is like pulling teeth. My math professor feels the same way and he's the best logician here. Why is this? Why I'd programing so intolerable?

I'm completely unemployable. I have no idea why I wasn't a stats major focusing in ML.
Why did I major in math? I hate that cs kids won't help me because they think I already get it.

I want a language that I can actually get a job with. It feels like cs moves so fast though.

Can I get a job by just massively undercutting myself ? Like at the interview go:
"I don't have all or even any of the skills but I will do this job for $35k instead of the $90k you posted "

Like I just don't know what to do.
I bookmarked a guide on php but I have no idea when I'll read it. I have a really hard senior year ahead of me as I thesis that year.

I have so many programming books on so many different languages , cobol,fortran, r, bash, prolog, erlang, haskell, elixir, lisp (massive amounts of lisp).

I don't think most of those see industry use. I'm at the end of my rope here.

Attached: 1521601096363.jpg (576x756, 292K)

Start looking at job postings and see what they want. Python is pretty common and not too complicated. Find tutorials online for self teaching. If you are not willing, then get a teaching certificate. Even if youre bad at math or whatever you could tutor or teach middle school which is easy as hell. Good luck, dont panic and list out potential paths for success and FOLLOW one

I just can't do python

What is it about programming that's hanging you up?

I can't make or do anything.

I mean...what about programming specifically? The syntax? Having to use the IDE? Understanding programming concepts?

Everything I guess. I tried lisp but couldn't do it and was endlessly frustrated
Just felt like I was mindlessly memorizing the example programs in the books rather than get any intuitive knowledge.
I couldn't even come up with fizzbuzz solution on my own, I just happened to memorize one cause it's so easy and short. I can't make a program that does anything .I couldn't do question one of project euler much less two

>Lisp
Dear sweet god why would you start with that shit language? Regardless, you can do complex math so programming should be a step down. Try to think of it as telling the computer what you want it to do and how it should do it. When you're approaching a math problem you already know what you have to do, right? The hard part is figuring out how you're going to do it.

I've been in the programming buisness for quite some time. Let me quote some things first

>I can enjoy and understand math but programming is like pulling teeth
Sounds cliche, but not everyone has the mentality for programming that easily. Im actually inverse in what you say. Im awful at math, can't get calculus, but programming logic comes easily

>My math professor feels the same way and he's the best logician here. Why is this?
Maybe hes a good mathematician but shit logician if he can't grasp programming

>"I don't have all or even any of the skills but I will do this job for $35k instead of the $90k you posted "
Very few companies would do that. It cost a lot of money to train a non programmer. They have to spend on your salary + lose productivity hours of whoever is training you.

>I don't think most of those see industry use. I'm at the end of my rope here.
Learn programming for the logic and not for the industry use. This is essential. I've seen lots of junior devs that applies to developer positions that dont even know basic programming shit (For example the diference between reference and value). They just learn 'X' language like moneys, and spit out the same code darn eveytime. PLEASE dont be one of those.

Now, my advice would be the following:

Do not get in the programming business if you dont really like it. Dont jump into the sillicon valley meme.

It requires lots of study, practice and patience. Plus it isnt as fun or high paying job as the media makes it look like.

If still you insist on learning and mastering it, then, i would suggest you to start learning C. No other language can teach you how programming works like C does. After that, you can grab whatever language you fancy, and it would be just a matter of learning new sintax here and there.

Attached: 16887132768713048064_screenshots_20170320013452_1.jpg (1280x720, 210K)

I've heard this a billion times I've read basic introduction to programming concepts so many times in so many languages. I've even studied the mathematical theory .

I just can't fucking make anything. I can't get a job.

>Can't do C
You're never gonna make it

Attached: mfw.png (700x700, 825K)

He's a really good logician . His most knowledgeable field is theoretical computer science shit.

My key interests are heavily mathematical logics based and some CS theory

Programming is just horrendous though , he can't even LaTeX. I'm the same way
My thesis will probably be in notepad.

>learn C
Don't make me do that. Too much bad blood there.

I've "learned " or perhaps used a variety from C, Java, Python, R, Lisp.
Every time I've tried to learn a new one absolutely nothing translated . I can fizzbuzz in Python yet cannot for the life of me tell you how to do it in Lisp despite trying to learn Lisp for three months of constant effort.

I can't do project euler at all either

I'm a programmer and I couldn't tell you how to do fizzbuzz in Lisp because I don't know Lisp. I could do it in java, c++, Ruby, php, JavaScript, python, C#, Swift, and Go, though. Once you know the concepts the language really becomes more of a secondary issue.

There's clearly some sort of mental block that you've placed for yourself. I don't know how to clear it.

but if you studied lisp for three months you'd probably be able to do it though right?

I don't understand what my issue is. maybe its because i did a lot of language hopping. I just feel really hopeless right now. seeing an empty IDE or text editor just fills me with dread and anxiety at this point

Chunk the problem into manageable pieces. You're so worried about the end piece that you're filled with dread.

>I can't do project euler at all either
How, it's literally 90% math.
I don't think you're really trying.

I'm a fucking idiot. There. Happy?
I know! I'll learn Elixir!
I'll learn Cobol!
I'll learn PHP! Oh wait I'm too stupid to even install the tools.

Fuck this. I'm fucking hopeless. I'm not one of those cool programmer types. I'm a fucking loser with no employable skills.

Maybe programming isn't your thing, just find something else you enjoy, it's not the end of the world.

You are either

A troll
Depressed

Either way, go take some diazepam and try again

Stop being so melodramatic. You aren't too stupid.

Sorry for the outburst it's just that everytime I voice how much i struggle i just get made fun of for being dumb in the communities i run in because apparently "even dumb pajeet can learn"

I SHOULD enjoy it though right? I really like the idea of it. I enjoy all the theory behind it too.
If I can't get a job programming then how do I even get a job

Try MOOCs online beginner Java course. You can download a thing that checks your exercise answers and you can only move on to the next part of the course when you've answered most of them correctly. And Java's a common language to teach to beginners.

Do exercises on your own, and use references/google when you get stuck. But don't just copy some book/guide task by task.

Start small. Do an exercise that gets you more familiar with functions. Maybe a few of them. Do another separate exercise that gets you more familiar with arrays, again multiple would probably be best. Each exercise has a very specific focus. After you master the bare basics begin writing programs that combine them.

I have no idea if it's actually the problem but maybe it's because you're not challenging your memory enough and not practising using concepts you learn in novel situations and combining them.

I can't think of anything to do. I don't even know what language . I'm so rusty I don't even remember any python . I also kind of hate python

Well you should probably pick the job you want first, then the language. Doesn't have to be THE job, just anything that suits you decently. Pick the/a language that the job demands and just stick with it for a while, even if you hate it at first. As you get better at programming you'll might learn to like the language, or at least that's what happens with me. The more I use a given language the more I enjoy it, because there's more I can do with it as I learn.

As an aside, I think programming is deceptive because I don't think you've ever understood a concept unless you can do it on your own. What I mean is that, if you read a chapter and feel you understood it 100% after reading it, but are unsure if you can actually apply it on your own, then you don't actually understand what's being taught. Never assume you fully understand said concept unless you're confident you apply it.

After every single concept and chapter you need to write exercise programs that actually test your knowledge. You should be making errors in these small chunks, learning in these more concrete steps. Maybe you're treating programming like you would theory, when it's a skill and needs to be practised and applied to actually be understood.

You're either the dumbest math major I ever heard of or you're trolling.

There's lots of programming IDEs that math guys use. Matlab. Octave. R. Learn one of those. Then you can move on to something else.

Except as I'm writing this I realize you must be trolling, because there is no way a math major can't learn to program on his own using a book that he found himself.

I'm trying to give op the benefit of the doubt but I'm starting to agree with you more and more.

i dont know what exercises to do.
None of those are the programming I need

If you're this traumatized over programming and literally can't understand it then you might want to consider switching majors.

People here are trying to tell you how you might be able to pick yourself up again. You're rejecting every single thing they say. CS is a fast-paced field and that's just the reality of it.

What kind of advice are you looking for? Do you want someone to descend upon you like a holy angel, wave their hand, and say "here I'll give you a job even though you'll probably hate every single day of it because you're so convinced that you can't do anything?"

Would you really want to work at a programming job every day of the week at this point?

If you're that desperate to stay in programming, go to one-on-one tutors. Your school has got to have some tutors. If not, just stick with math and go into academia or something.

And if you're fine with undercutting yourself and going for $35k a year you might as well just do clerical or administrative work. Make the same amount without having to wrestle with programming. It seriously sounds like the industry is causing you more stress than necessary and you need to do something about that.

I'm not qualified for any job user

If you can use a computer, you're fit for clerical work. If you can type a post on an anonymous image board, you can do an office job. If you got accepted into a college, you're smart enough to get hired. If you can do math and logic, you're able to at least teach your knowledge to others. Literal degenerates can get jobs at grocery stores. The fact that you are studying programming at all in a university means that you are already well above them and are qualified to work somewhere.

Are there no career services at your school? You should probably talk to someone in person who can get a better scope of your position and give you more tangible assistance. I don't give a shit if you think you're worth nothing, just go and do it. Trying and failing is miles better than not trying at all.

>I SHOULD enjoy it though right? I really like the idea of it. I enjoy all the theory behind it too.
CS kid here. No, you shouldn't. They're two different things. You probably already heard Dijkstra's quote: "Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes". He's damn right.

>If I can't get a job programming then how do I even get a job
Just like everyone else who doesn't work in that field. Do something else. You're a Matematician, do something related to it. You're majoring in foundations of cs? Become an academic, or an analyst.

But if you insist: can you even R? Or Matlab? Did you try functional languages? Fuck Lisp, try OCaml for instance.

If you're willing to pay, I can teach you. There's no fucking way you can't do it.

Why are you trying bloody lisp in the first place?

just do QA, you cann still make 80 to 100k after 1 or 2 years and its mad easy and little to no programming required

>Dont want to do Python
>Too pussy to do Java and C/C++
Are you fucking stupid? You just named the three languages that are the golden trio of CS, at least in terms of what employers expect out of entry level candidates. Unless you learn JavaScript, which is a shitshow imo nor is it that useful for ML. If you want to do anything ML related, you better know Python and/or Java.

I use Java, Python, and Bash mostly for my job. I'm the most comfortable with C++. Computer languages are not traditional languages but tools, and you are going to have to use several of them in nearly all jobs.

You don't want to learn Python because you "hate" it. You hardly know what it's capable of. You don't want to learn c/c++ or Java because you are a pussy. Why do you think you deserve to get employed when you act like this? You are going to have to do things that are hard, you dislike, and are afraid of in a job.

No company is going to hire you for such a lowball offer. They will be spending 200k and many months to train you (many senior employee hours), get you a setup, give you benefits, etc... If you fuck up the training, all of that was a waste of money. If you succeed, then you are now employable for triple your retarded lowball salary so you will leave, so all that training was a waste of money. This is excluding the opportunity cost of passing up somebody better.

What makes lisp so bad? Everyone seems to love it.

What if I agree to a multi-year contract of $35k where I can't quit ever? I'd even do $30k. Also no benefits

1. Thats a dumb thing to do.
2. Thats not how employee contracts work.

Theres legal guidelines for these things. You cant just enslave yourself to a company. You can sign a 3 year contract, but that also means the company will have one awful time trying to fire you.

Can confirm everything this user said. For my job I had to learn SQL, Batch, Swift, and XSLT (which doesn't quite count). Learning languages and not freaking the fuck out is an important part of the job.

Is object oriented that bad