26 yrs

>26 yrs
>bsc in accounting
>working a junior role at an accounting firm

My life feels meaningless in my current state. I make little money, have mediocre tasks and don't get to use my quantitative/analytical skills. Furthermore, I never found accounting interesting, I only went into it because I thought I could get valuable experience.

My goal is to get a real job, where I work 60 hour-weeks, perform such a valuable service that I feel like I'm adding something, and ultimately make bank.

So my plan is:
>take my masters in economics
(I have a guaranteed place at a good uni)
>quit my current job if I have to
>finish by the time I turn 29
>get a real job, like a business analyst, or a consultant

How do I rate my plan? Is it rational?

Attached: a3MnMBjj_700w_0.jpg (600x450, 38K)

>60 hour weeks

What the fuck why would anyone want that.
40 hour is absolute max.

Take up boxing

Money. I was working 60 hour weeks for the past year but lately I've cut back to around 45. I liked working the 60's more. Not just because the paycheck, I made around $30k just in overtime last year, but it kept me busy during the week. It does take a toll on you after awhile though and that's why I'm watching my hours now to give myself a break.

>What the fuck why would anyone want that

OP here. I want it because working is the only thing I consider meaningful. If I go to a party or a social event, all I can think about is "I could be making money right now". It's a horrible feeling.

Is accounting boring? I considered majoring in it but I find math boring. What is a typical day like for you? Just number crunching away in some cubicle?

Bro what do you in a junior role, I did a bsc in accounting but got pretty poor grades, so I can't even find a job bro. Big waste of fucking time

>Is accounting boring? I considered majoring in it but I find math boring. What is a typical day like for you? Just number crunching away in some cubicle?

Basically I enter information into a system, manage payments and resolve small accounting errors. For instance:
Coworker: "Oh shit, we booked the refund but we didn't book it against the credit note, so now we still have a recorded claim".
And so then I fix it.

There is no math in my job. When I was a teenager, most of my classmates knew more math then my adult coworkers do now, and that's not an exaggeration, but a painful fact. I feel completely malplaced.

If I stick around I'm gonna learn about actual accounting, taxes and prolly some financial due diligence. We have some pretty serious clients. But even with that in mind I feel like I'm just wasting my potential.

>Bro what do you in a junior role
A lot of accounts receivable and payable

>I did a bsc in accounting but got pretty poor grades, so I can't even find a job bro. Big waste of fucking time
I understand your pain. It took me 2 years to get to my current position after graduating. For me I think it wasn't the grades, but the low status of my uni. Every time I think back at my choices I feel a sting of depression, and panic.

Attached: sceptical.jpg (275x183, 7K)

>amerilards literally can't enjoy life unless they're slaving away for mr. Shekelstein

Lol

I'm Swedish
Perhaps this adds to my feeling of misplacement

Better prep the bull then, fucking cuck.

Have you thought about immigrating to the US? It sounds like your ambition is being wasted in a country with high taxation and glass ceiling for wealth accumulation.

I get 6 weeks of vacation a year and our company has like 15 holidays... so that's literally 8 weeks a year I don't have to work...

>europoors lol

What company do you work for? I need to get a job there.

>Have you thought about immigrating to the US?
Yes. But given my age, I think it's too late. I should have taken my masters when I was 25 and then bolted. I don't know, do you think I can get out?

Real question here is what did you graduate with? Sounds like you got a 2:2 or lower, I doubt you got a 2:1 or a 1st

OP here.
We get a lot of vacation-time as well. I try to use it, by doing productive income-generating activities. But it's hard, since I really have nothing to sell.

Never too late. If you've grown up watching American movies or TV then you already understand our culture. Sounds like you were meant to be an American. We glorify a work culture that you live. You would be rewarded for it here.

I dunno about immigration though. We let in tens of thousands of Pajeets and Chinks. I'd rather we let in Swedes like you desu.

I don't know what those numbers mean, but I got low grades if that's what you're getting at.
This plays into my ambition to get a masters. I can work up my grades to what they should be.

Don't you have pretty high taxes too tho?
I mean your corporate tax is 35%, and you have a pretty hefty public sector.

That tax just got reduced to 21% percent this year. I'm referring to personal and estate taxes. We have no consumption taxes here, no VAT shit. Several states don't have state income taxes. If you're a middle income earner (up to 300k), then you be put into the 35% federal income tax bracket. Supposedly, that's a lot lower. I once read on Jow Forums that anons in Germany or France pay closer to 50%. Or have I been misled?

Between taxes and benefits I 'lose' ~20% of my salary. It helps I live in a state without a separate state income tax. I gross around 85k and take home a little over 60k.

Since I work with this shit, or at least will if I move up the ladder at my current location, I can lay out the tax-playfield here is Sweden.

Let's say you make 42k.
Roughly 30% of that goes to the municipality and county. 29k left.
Then, as you spend your money, you pay VAT. It ranges from 6 to 25%, so let's say that on average you pay 12% in VAT. About 26k left. If you invest your money you will basically pay 30% on all returns.
Furthermore, your employer had to pay an additional 30% tax to hire you. So if you end up with 26k, like in the example above, your employer had to pay about 56k to employ you.

Now that I've explained this, how do you think the US is in comparison?

I may have spoken out of turn. It doesn't too bad. I'm ignorant on the employer side of taxation. In the US, the employer has provide a basic health insurance plan, if you're a "full-time" employee (40 hours or more). So I wouldn't be surprised if an employer spent 20-30%.

In your above example, someone earning about 42k (close to the real median), would be in the 24% percent federal income tax bracket. Because the US is a patchwork of different states with each different tax rates, it's hard to give a real answer on the final tax rate. Most state income taxes are low (less than 5%) or nonexistent like in places like Texas.

For the sake of argument, let's just say they're in Texas, and pay no additional tax burden. They remain at 24% (assuming no significant deductibles), and so that person takes home 36k. No VAT here; groceries aren't taxed, and other commodities are subject to a local county tax (usually ~7%). There is a trick to dodging taxes on electronics and other goods by buying from online retailers in other states. If a person lives in Texas, and they buy from a website hosted in New York, then unless that place has a storefront in Texas, they wouldn't have to the New York tax. So it's very common for people to shop around online to get around this loophole (especially for buying electronics, clothes, etc). What else. our gas (petrol) is supposedly cheaper than yours. I think, right now, it's probably about .80 cent per liter (I did that conversion).

Overall, and I'm just a layman with no real experience outside of living in two US states, I think a person in the US receives a higher take-home pay in almost all circumstances (but it's hard to generalize because all 50 are different). And since there's no VAT, but we do have county taxes, generally, we pay less on commodities. The US is definitely better if you're good with math, a person like you, and can do all the possible deductions, loopholes, and pick the right county/state to live in.

Maybe someone can chime in for me. But I think it's correct to say, that most localities don't charge too much local taxes. In places with low state income taxes, they usually make up for it by charging more on property taxes. But if you're renting, then it wouldn't apply. And if you want to be a homeowner, then it's usually more favorable anyway.

The problem with the U.S. as far as I know, is that the state is less of a "nanny state". No enforced paternity/maternity leave, no universal health care coverage, no generous disability insurance, no child care etc. Basically, as an American you need to do more 'thinking' on your own, and make careful decisions on where you're going to live, who you're going to do business with, and what you can deduct on tax returns (important to have a good accountant). So for the average person, it's arguably more of a Darwanian society, but the flip-side is that for someone who is conscientious and relatively smart, then they have a higher glass ceiling, and can take more decisions about their own personal lives.

Well, sorry I couldn't give any substantive comparisons on the employer side. I just know that they recently reduced the corporate tax rate,and the US economy is doing better as a result. But we'll see what happens.

I definitely think that based on your own research and interests, you should make an informed decision on whether or not a move to the US would make sense for you, and whether it would be feasible at all. Presumably, you would be at the top of the pile since you're educated. Accountants are in high demand here, since most people such with money and doing basic math. But I dunno, if that is more of the boring side of accountancy for you.

Well yeah, I dunno user. As for your original question: I think you pursue maybe more education, like a Master's in Business Administration or International Business, if your goals are to rise to the top of an enterprise.

suck with money*

Get your masters in actuarial science not economics.

Get your masters in actuarial science, not economics.

Can't, that's not how education works in my country

Entry level jobs always suck. Stick it out 18 months and then see what you want to do. It does get more rewarding as you advance.

>Master's in Business Administration or International Business
>if your goals are to rise to the top of an enterprise

Wat
That's basically like socioligy, but useless