Need advice from hiring mgr in tech/science field

Any HR types that deal with hiring for tech/science on here? Got a simple question I need some advice on.

Attached: FatRabbit.jpg (750x562, 47K)

my sister is a recruiting agent for IT

previously for the government and now for private sector

She rants a lot at me about work so maybe I can help you.
What is your question?

Allow me to greentext:
>be me 36 years old
>been IT pro for about 14 years
>have AAS and certs but couldn't break into mgmt without BS
>go back to college to get BS (Physics)
>will graduate officially on May 11th

So here is my question. I want to start sending out resumes but I don't want to put 'expected graduation' or anything related to when my degree was achieved. How many days before my official graduation date is too many before I send out a resume saying I am graduated?? I figured if I start next week by the time my resume makes it through the system I will be done but I fear I will get a call right away and technically am lying because I am a week before my 'official' graduation date.

Attached: 1436815483896.jpg (550x617, 78K)

For my degree (chemistry) I sometimes list the date of my defence or more commonly the last day of my last term and not my graduation date (which was 2 months later). Nobody really cares about the graduation date, if you've completed your course work it is just a formality.

Don't worry, if you get the call and they ask just be honest about the situation, they won't care. Congrats on graduating and good job sending out resumes ahead of time.

Coincidentally, I give lectures on career advice to chemistry grad students if you have any more questions.

This is very reassuring. Thank you! Just don't want to mess something up with a perspective employer because of my impatience.
I do have an additional question you may be able to help with. Obviously my educational path is a bit odd because my AAS is in 'information technology' but my BS is in Physics/Math. Yet I plan to go BACK to IT simply because I have so much work experience and feel I can step into an IT management role. Any tips of pushing my physics degree as a positive (vs say going back for a CS degree) while I search for tech jobs? My resume has mostly IT exp except my last job I was an 'analytics consultant' for a startup for I did science and tech. I have no intention of doing anything physics related unless the company I did work as IT mgmr for was in that field. Hope that makes sense and thank you in advance.

Attached: App Store Rankings.jpg (545x726, 97K)

CS will pay better and there are more jobs.

but I think you should do the one that you enjoy more. I became a scientist because I like it, the pay is ok because I am doing well, but I have a lot of friends who can't find meaningful employment.

If you go the IT route I suggest you find recruiting companies for placement (there are a shit ton). My sister puts people in 600-600 a day consulting jobs. It is fucking insane. Most of these people have zero social skills and it is her job to make sure they make their resume / CV match the job posting exactly, and to weed out the morons. They will also help you reword your skills into active statements that employers want to see.

>600-800*

I am the opposite of your typical IT guy I have never had a problem finding work. Being a white male with an IQ in the 140s helps immensly and my resume is pretty stacked. I prefer IT because I have those skills and combined with my soft skills I have been able to demand high pay. Just my AAS was holding me back. Once I get an interview I have am always offered the job.
Honestly, the worst part of working in science is the people. These past four years have been so fun doing crazy experiments for the biofuels startup I worked for. However the lack of social ability and tact among my coworkers is crazy. They all have PhDs and are obviously intelligent, but the one-up-mans-ship and flat out sabotage was startling. They all had to prove they were the smartest person in the room it was bizarre.
Thank you again for the advice.

Attached: HawkingLEGO.jpg (763x959, 49K)

>lack of social ability

I've noticed this too, I have excellent social skills and an IQ around your level. It really helps

Just consider the recruiting, some good jobs only appear via this route. If they find you something you can always say no

I am going to take the recruiting idea to heart user. Just scared of that because I have been on the hiring side and recruiting sometimes sucks because we just get a pool of nobodies who threw their name into a hat.
Another crazy thing with science is that these people are often incompetent with regards to anything except their field. Maybe it s from working IT but I know how every area of the company functions. They often don’t even know how to hook up a new wireless keyboard or print on an envelope in a printer!! Keeps me employed I guess but am really shocked when a guy with a PhD in math can’t figure out how to extract pages from a PDF.

Also with the recruiting how would you go about that if I have the area I plan to move to somewhat narrowed down. I am in New Mexico and plan to move to ID,UT,WY,NV. Should I try find a national recruiter and tell them where I will go to? Or find an in state smaller body??

I totally agree. Many of the scientists and engineers around me think i'm really smart because I have all the common sense and have a basic understanding of most fields.
Some people never look outside of their own box. I find that to be a major contradiction to being a scientist, but maybe that's just me.

No harm in contacting both types.

The nice thing about IT and CS recruiting is they have a strong internet presence (linkedin etc)

oh also just be careful and read anything very carefully before you sign

some companies have exclusivity agreements, don't pigeon hole yourself.

It's not about knowledge per se, you can't know everything, it's about problem solving. I mean. you have the whole internet, if you dig you'll find answer to almost any practical question. Or just go ask somebody. But i guess a lot of people in academia are pretty rigid, after all on the lowest steps its grades which are valued. Behind their magna cum laude they hide their intellectual laziness. Sometimes I'm guilty of that thing too. PhD is good, but sometimes limits your vision.

I suspect we are very similar in brain wiring. Thanks again for the advice I plan to start sending out some resumes to jobs located in the areas I want to go this weekend. I will also look at recruiting if I don’t have the results I expected.
Just curious as you seem to know the science aspect. What would starting pay be for someone with my background if I found some sort of physics related job. I would be a bit above entry level because my last four years have been pretty science heavy and I have a great reference from the biofuel startup. Obviously it varies by location. But give me a ballpark salary

You'd have to be in government or industry but because it is only a B.Sc. I would imagine you'd start around the 40K mark. Sometimes less. When I got my B.Sc. Chem, my only job offer was from Garnier and they wanted to pay me $13/ hour to do quality control on shampoo. I told them to go fuck themselves.

You'll make much more using your IT skills
Bureaucrats think computers are magic and are willing to pay more for because of it.

are you seriously bitching about a bit more than a week of some good ol' fucking patience?
are you really 36 and have issues with something like this?
I think you graduation date should be the last of your worries when applying for management positions, I pray nobody ends up reporting to you

I'd probably resign on the spot if I heard my manager asks Jow Forums for advice on applying for jobs after 14 years of alleged experience in the field and who's just finished an off-focus physics BACHELOR at 36

how the fuck is a BSc in physics supposed to make you a better manager jesus christ what country does this happen in

Attached: 1335282534733.gif (200x120, 385K)

I'm not the OP. I'm a biologist in neuroscience, recently just got my PhD. Would you say, is it worth to lean toward IT for a scientist? I'm tempted to learn python and maybe other coding languages with an ultimate goal to get hold on machine learning? I want to pursue academic career, but i also see how IT change my field, making my skills irrelevant and i don't want to be left behind by progress.

One of the top skills I see listed in government academic and industry jobs for scientists is computer modelling and scripting using matlab or python.

Just having this on your CV would help you get the job that you want.

USA and the BS allows me to get past the gatekeepers that won’t even look at your resume if you have anything less than a four year. Don’t be angry friend I bet I make more in the job I am leaving than you ever will.
OP here. I can say that Matlab/LabVIEW/Python/Maple are what I have seen during my preliminary search of job postings. I worked in IT services so just a basics usage is fine unless you want to break into programming. Also go get Microsoft cert. they aren’t what they used to be but you are smart so they are worth it mine have made me a mint and frankly held up my AAS

Thanks. I'll make that my priority then.

>neuroscience
You are probably aware of bioinformatics.
Personally as someone who works in nanoscience and has worked on biochemical nanotechnology I am convinced that bioinformatics will produce much more useful results.

We have collected so much data that we cannot analyze it and this problem is only getting worse. What we need are people who know both the science and have the CS skills to help analyze it. This is a major career path that would work for a professorship

>not even BSc
>make more in the job I am leaving than you ever will
sure thing fren

Attached: 861.jpg (991x672, 107K)

Yap, that's encouraging.What do you think, 30 isn't too old? I'd like to start earlier, but that bloody PhD took almost 6 years.

Ya I got a BSc. In fact I got two of them Physics and math. What the fuck you think BS means? My uni doesn’t even offer a BA in Physics that shit is for retards.

Dude you are never too old. I went back to school at 31 and here I am 4 years later planning when I will go back for something fun. Thinking getting an art or music degree when I am in my mid 40s. Age is just a number

BTW, as you can witness Jow Forums is crowded with IT guys, scientists and other noble folks. Not the worst place to ask for advice.

Op here. Exactly why I came here I know this place is filled with nerds like me. That poster above is just a NEET who wishes he could get out of moms basement.
Thanks everyone for the advice and discussion I plan to start sending out some resumes in my target areas this coming weekend and not worry about listing my graduation date.
For anyone reading this thinking about going back to school at a later age or switching careers I can attest it was the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done. It is never too late and the difficult times just make the great times better.
Thanks again.