What exactly makes the Sistine Chapel so great?

What exactly makes the Sistine Chapel so great?

People often say that these frescoes are the greatest works of art produced by human hands, but what exactly makes them this?

Attached: 124326347.jpg (800x1208, 278K)

Other urls found in this thread:

subgenius.com/bigfist/classic/classics/The-Brag.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How many other 40 ft tall giants do you know that can paint like that?

>>

Pr*Testantshits would never understand

Christian art > Muslim autistic tiles

Attached: The Glorification of the Eucharist.jpg (1280x1750, 411K)

>What exactly makes the Sistine Chapel so great?
It's just autistic obsession, Op. If the pope was a Magic the Gathering fan, the frescoes would be dragons and wizards, and the catholics would still be claiming it's the greatest thing ever, simply because it's what they're interested in.
The bible has many stories that make for great pictures, but I think the Sistine Chapel ceiling would have been much more fun if they'd been uber-nerding over Winnie the Pooh instead.

Why are they hanging out with a sputnik satellite?

Painted by God

Islam doesn't allow depictions so how can Muslims create great art?

That can't.

And even though Christianity is supposed to have prohibitions against it, great artists made great shit with those traditions.

i was thinking that immediately, how fucking good of a painter do you need to be to do THAT, 40ft up on some makeshift fucking scaffolding. I cant even walk properly on a 20 ft scaffold cause its so fkn stressful

Attached: John.jpg (700x462, 45K)

Supposedly Michaelangelo would lay on his back while painting which probably helped with the dizzying factor

Nor does Judaism

Attached: the-school-of-athens-detail-1511.jpg (1115x651, 129K)

Attached: Raphael.jpg (1200x630, 26K)

Angelo means Angel

and Michael means He who resembles God.

>explain why beautiful things are beautiful

Are you unironically autistic?

It is the best question which has been asked on pol in the past 24 hours

Jesus and st Peter are adjusting earth's reception to try to tune out niggers

Seething protestant detected.

This has to be the best work of art in the whole vatican museum, shame about the amount of chinese "people" swarming the place, but other than that, very nice.

Attached: web3-raphaels-school-of-athens-fresco-apostolic-palace-vatican-city-raphael-pd.jpg (1200x600, 348K)

Who is in the middle user?

have you ever seen it in person? life changing experience. Reminded me that humans are capable of achieving perfection.

Based and popepilled

No picture of them can do them justice. Since the chapel underwent a great restoration project 15 or so years ago to remove dust and restore the colors, which took a few years, it's evident that something equal could be produced or duplicated, even surpassed, with today's technology.

That said, when you see it in person, it's absolutely awesome, in the literal sense of the word. I've been to museums, have seen all forms of art, mediums, genres, from many cultures, and so on, and still to this day, the Chapel stands out to me as the greatest piece of art, I've ever seen. I'm not even a huge fan of the content of the pieces, but the actual quality, and ability, craftmanship, and so on, is in a class of it's own and clearly evident when you see it in person. The depth perception, coloring, and subtle shadowing is astounding. There were parts that I stared at for a minute or 2 which I thought were part of the accompanying stonework before my eyes finally realized they were part of the painting. And it all looks correct from the ground. The mental understanding required of the artist/artists of all aspects of science and perception and art techniques was no less than brilliance.

What's that?

Plato and Aristotle.

Plato and Aristotle, respectively

Attached: A8666672-3031-4895-8C16-E52BEFA306B2.png (750x1334, 3.37M)

That is God

Attached: dashed .jpg (500x500, 94K)

Muslims are literally NPC.
>no creativity allowed
>no visual art besides command code lines
>no music
>their holy book is short and unumbiguos, provides clear instructions

I thought the statue room was more impressive

However, the way the whole experience builds is quite something. First you go through rooms filled with these ancient relics of Rome, then you see the the room with the emperors and the mythological figures. Then at the end you finally get to the chapel, and it's supposed to be this moment of awe. It's definitely the best museum in the world.

Attached: IMG_3491.jpg (4032x3024, 2.7M)

I thought that as well, then I considered it might be Socrates and Plato

but I have come to understand that it is Homer

Not only that but by the time he was done he had serious permanent back and vision problems

C'mon fag give sauce no theory

Attached: DVKzmxrV4AEyaJj[1].jpg (1803x1207, 563K)

I highly doubt you saw this in person. Its a jam packed room of smelly people taking photos, when they are told they shouldn't constantly by the guards. OPs photo gives you a much better view and apperciation of the Chapel unfortunatly.

The books they hold tell you who they are. Plate holds Timeo, and Aristotle holds Etica

The amount of teens taking selfies was disgusting. Also people are told to dress modestly, but all the Americans are in shorts and tshirts.

Attached: 46458.jpg (415x476, 21K)

Christians could also make incredible Muslim style autistic tiles such as this one in Seville. Literally a Moorish styled palace for Christians.

Regardless of what you think of the Spanish they have had incredible artists over the years.

Attached: 415a-Palacio Mudéjar-044-Salón Embajadores01.jpg (1231x664, 296K)

Guido art is garish.
Low Countries Renaissance ftw.

And do they exist now?

Yep. Not sure what the solution should be, but damn does it sure ruin so many things. So many other works of art were ignored here. And I always kek at the people taking a photo of the painting when they can find better ones online.

Attached: Ruined by tourism.jpg (1292x969, 227K)

Well yeah...

Timeo is a dialogue by Plato, and Nicomachean Ethics are very important philosophical works and have been preserved fully.

I ended up joking a lot about this with the guy who I went there with. The Coliseum seems like a place for people to just take selfies now. It's pretty fucking disgusting how people only look at these works though their phone screen when they can literally look at them there and then.

Shame about the shit perspective for the artist's self insert in the bottom center. Just look at that bench.

I am very convinced that is Homer raising his hand.

Coming to eat you!

Attached: FILTERED DRAGON - 8b.jpg (153x200, 8K)

I dont believe that is a bench

Attached: 300px-Nicolas_Poussin_-_Et_in_Arcadia_ego_(deuxième_version).jpg (300x214, 23K)

Exactly. Social media is to blame for this. When did looking at vacation slides of others become unboring and trendy?

Attached: wow so original.jpg (727x969, 175K)

True, never looked at it much, seems like an afterthought, like the idea came froma a guard that was walking around and said "hey, you deserve a spot"

Well he is guarding the arc of the covenant so

whatever

>what makes the sistine chapel so great
bravery
this was painted by a sculpter not a painter
patience
it was painted by sunlight and candlelight only and took 4 years to finish
discipline
most of the time he was laying on his back suspended 40 feet in the air by some rickety scaffolding so that he could paint the ceiling
mastery
the sistine chapel is considered by everyone to be one of the greatest works of art the world has ever seen, people come from all over the world to see it over 500 years after it was painted

Nommies!

Attached: dragon and Akhenaten.png (168x200, 82K)

Nom Nom Nom!

Attached: PAPAL REGALIA - DRAGON 1.jpg (150x200, 10K)

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 18K)

Well you're not correct. This fresco is the Academy of Athens which was founded by Plato, Homer was not part of it.

Well it it's anywere it would be the vatican, but isn't it supposed to be covered in gold and angels guarding the top?

Pardon me, that's not the artist. Whatever it is, a chest, maybe, it doesn't look good at all. The composition makes it look like its going over the first step and laying flat on the floor at the same time. Even the man's rear end is just hanging in space, instead of resting on the step, as seems to have been intended. Maybe it's one of those moments when the student helping the master screwed up, who knows?

Oh well I must have my wires crossed.

You think Michaelangelo made an error?

Hokay Dokay

it looks really fucking taky

Painted by (((gods))), not The Lord God

A beam in the eye (of the dragon) crushing the Lion of Judah.

Attached: ST_ MARY DRAGON - U1-01.jpg (640x487, 57K)

You have not provided a reason as to why, whereas it's clear that they are holding works authored by themselves, just as Euclid or Archimedes is working in mathematics.
Maybe. Why is that hard to accept? And like I said, these works were done with students helping. Maybe he just realized too late that he needed to incorporate another person there.

Attached: kPzBNzX.gif (380x280, 2.27M)

Attached: dragon.jpg (654x327, 105K)

raphael saw the sistine chapel and understood just how important and timeless the work was so he went back and added michelangelo into the school of athens years after the painting was already finished. the characters name is hereclitus or something not michelangelo but its painted in michelangelos style and has michelangelos face which is why he looks so out of place

Attached: michelangelo.jpg (707x622, 199K)

I refuse to accept it because it simply untrue my friend.

Do you believe Homers Achilles is King David?

that's a good question. ive seen better artwork in a comic strip in penthouse magazine.

Oh you silly Jesuit.

Agreed. I'm an Aussie yobbo who felt to hungover to bother go seeing the vatican but my girlfriend dragged me along and I'll never forget the awe I felt seeing the sistine chapel. I don't believe in god but I felt like god showed me his radiant brilliance that day it was unlike anything I've ever felt.

It's obviously symbolic, you fucking uncultured
plebs.

I also was an Arcadian

Total bullshit is what it is.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 11.47.00 AM.png (1422x922, 2.2M)

Attached: left side usd.jpg (514x500, 114K)

When the rapture comes, I will make them wait...

Theyll never clean my cage...!

Too late.

ha. fucking what?

Attached: Tape_runs_out.jpg (292x442, 19K)

subgenius.com/bigfist/classic/classics/The-Brag.html

So what do you think of the concept of Chapel Perilous?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 12.24.14 PM.png (944x1344, 3.06M)

I just posted that cause I thought it looked metal as fuck. But, I'll have to look up what Chapel Perilous, I've never heard of it.

I love it.

Are you referring to the philosophical concept or the short film? The concept, I think, is the entire Crux of this board. I just started watching the film and the comments are filled pizza pie ride whatnots. I guess I'm in for a wild ride.

Yes well Robert Anton Wilson also discussed the premise in relationship to beings from Sirius communicating with him.

To be the centre of a cosmic conspiracy, I believe he said the experience can make a person agnostic or insane.

I suppose you could compare it to the metaphysical concept of crossing the abyss.