Mandarin or Japanese?

Long story short: I'd love to learn Japanese, but it's harder than Mandarin and there aren't many unis I could apply to and study it. Mandarin is way more popular, but it's going to be a nightmare to compete with tonns of Chinese students when applying for a job in the future.
What do Jow Forums?

Attached: T54s7rJAYDY.jpg (444x440, 70K)

This ought to help.

Attached: china_steel.png (1400x5552, 946K)

Lmao, never thought that these guys are such dicks. Thanks.

loved that thread, it was a good laugh

It’s true tho. The Chinese are like parasites that are taking over the world.

One of my friends just traveled home from Ethiopia. He said they are teaching Chinese in schools now, and that the Chinese controls all transportation sectors

China to take over the world? Fuck yes.

Attached: GBaGLe60jxk.jpg (707x1000, 108K)

This is bad desu...

China doesn’t give a fuck about conservation. They just consume and consume until there is no more ressources.

Well, there are a lot of frauds in my country too. The difference is that they steal money from the country itself because it's corrupted af.

Attached: 2dmppruRpFE.jpg (848x1280, 108K)

The Chinese are also very racist

Japanese are racist too. Like, all these asian countries are racist as fuck. I've seen so foreigners being bullied in Japanese schools just because they are half European or whatever the fuck their race is. I can't imagine what would happen to a black guy in those schools...

Attached: KBuaC-uQNoA.jpg (800x885, 65K)

I'm learning Mandarin for fun (six years in now) and it's awesome. But I know a ton of people who went into it for business reasons and they all hate it.

Well, I want to learn Japanese or Chinese in order to leave my shithole country in the future.

Attached: YlVu6Mf4e0M.jpg (736x519, 51K)

Americans are more than accepted by the new generation of Japs, it's really all the old people who hate whites

Japan really hates Chinese and Koreans. Everyone else they do not understand enough to hate properly

I wouldn't say that Japanese is harder than Mandarin - both involve memorization of a ton of complex characters along with different speech patterns than English. However, it is correct what some anons above are saying. You should learn the language of the country you'd like to live in instead of learning the language for the salary. Granted, it's nice to get a good paycheck, but not worth it if it kills you inside.

I currently live in Japan and while it's getting more common, Westerners who can speak Japanese with a reasonable degree of proficiency are still small in number and pretty rare.

stated that Asian countries are pretty racist, and that is true to some degree. Being that I've never been in a Japanese institution myself, but have heard about them from friends, they're reasonably nice, but doesn't don't involve you that much, and see you as an interesting subject instead of someone to be friends with.

pic unrelated - i like snakes

Attached: aq72XKv_700b.jpg (669x891, 122K)

For how long have you been learning Japanese to move there? How long did it take you to learn it at somewhat decent level, to have conversations about almost every topic? (Not weather or "how are you doing" related)
If you don't want to answer then don't. I'm just curious how much time it would approximately take to learn it to talk and to write with little to no mistakes.

Attached: YB7PxVaGCS0.jpg (759x1080, 145K)

Then you had better learn Chinese because Japan won't let you move there.

Japanese:
>More than 2000 characters to learn
>hiragana and katakana in the mix, so you can also rely on those for pronunciation
>More complex grammar (inflections 'n' shit)
>Simpler phonology
>Allows you to read/watch untranslated weeb stuff

Mandarin:
>A metric fuckton of characters to learn
>Babby-level grammar complexity
>More complex phonology (more sounds and subtler distinctions)
>DUDE TONES LMAO
>Allows you to read untranslated philosophy stuff

Attached: 1334151502073.jpg (500x495, 40K)

If you have high verbal intelligence then you can learn Japanese. If you have average or below average verbal intelligence, then don't bother. It will take too much of your limited time. I've seen so many passionate weeaboos in my Japanese classes that tried hard but clearly didn't have any talent for language learning. It was just blatantly obvious that they didn't have the genes/the tools to really, really learn the language, like the awkward, 5'9'' white guy on the basketball team. If it's not for you it's not for you.

If you don't have the talent and still go for it, just know that you could easily be doing something else with your time, something that you have a knack for, for instance.

t. non-verbal learning disorder guy who majored in Japanese in university

I don't have any special talents to be honest. English is not my native language, which is quite obvious, I guess. I'd like to take up second language such as Japanese or Chinese. I've read several articles covering the topic of "Which one is better", but in the end it's always "ITS UP TO YOU TO DECIDE". I'm applying for linguistics next year, so that's why I'm asking which one should I pick, since this has been bothering me for awhile now.

Attached: Iu2EwXHRdjw.jpg (704x993, 64K)

It's actually not obvious at all that your native language isn't English

I'm glad to hear that.

Attached: 9SIWGrF6His.jpg (1920x1080, 220K)

China has very racist citizenship laws. Japan has been encouraging educated immigration lately.
>hurr durr Japan most raycisss nation on earth
Meme needs to fucking die.

Japan isn't the most racist country for sure, but I heard that they don't like forgeingers, at least in schools. In Uni they are more mature and don't give much shit about it I guess.

Attached: dbZSrjb53Rc.jpg (800x697, 125K)

Yeah, school kids are assholes everywhere. All I'm saying is being white isn't going to subject you to lynch mobs if you are above the age of 16. From what I've seen, its pretty much like being Asian in a Western nation.

We had only one half-korean guy and one black guy in my school. As far as I know they weren't teased or bullied at all. No one gave much shit about them. That's strange because I thought that they are going to be bullied like 24/7 because this is how ir usually goes in my country.

Attached: -qkuPbTWhss.jpg (849x1200, 120K)

What country, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyways, most places in the world if you aren't a total fucking weirdo and don't act like a criminal people won't really be too mean. Japan is no exception. China is actually far more ethnocentrist to my knowledge.

I'll leave it to you to guess what country I'm from. I'll you give you a hint: it's cold here.

Attached: umCWjDNMD0U.jpg (1000x1412, 129K)

You also said it's a shithole, so I'm guessing Russia, former commie friend.

Also nice digits.

You're damn good at guessing I have to say.

Attached: plushie.png (1700x1700, 1.5M)

Seriously though, learn Japanese. Chinese are pretty shitty, wages tend to be lower, the culture is fucked because of their recent history, and the language itself is hell. China has an endless pool of manpower you'll have to fight against, whereas the Japanese are actively trying loosening up immigration standards because they don't have enough. Plus honestly Chinese are way less attractive if that's a concern to you.

The Japanese language is surprisingly less intimidating than you think. Less characters than Chinese, no tones, only one exotic consonant you'll struggle with forever, and a syllabary to help you along.

i agree Ive studied both - and stuck with Japanese. the tones just killed me, and while the grammar is easier in Chinese (imo) the kanji.. its fucking endless.

I'm interested -what did you think is the exotic consonant..?

The r/l consonant in Japanese. I can make it... but not reliably.

ah fair enough. I have a Spanish background so I semi 'roll' a R with my tongue at the behind my front teeth, seems to do the trick but I still flop on occassion

The problem is that there aren't many unis where I could take Japanese as my second language, like one or two I could apply to. (There are some more, but they require different USE exams, like history) Well, I'm desperately trying to find some more unis where I could study Japanese in my city, but it's goddamn hard. Thanks for the advice though.

Attached: 1405472477472_preview.jpg (1024x576, 57K)

Studying at a university isn't super important imo. It usually provides a good base but anything beyond the basic level is going to be on your own regardless.

I can't even roll my Rs.

agreed about the uni. lessons might get you to a basic level quicker but after a while it really is down to you

rolling r's - i dunno might be worth practicing. when i did have a tutor he told me he found people with hispanic backgrounds got the r/l easier because of this... dunno if'll help ...ganbatte!

Obviously I'll be studying Japanese outside uni too. If I won't go to uni next year I must go to army, lol